Jump to topic:

The Digital Divide

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:35:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
We like to think that we are connected by the WORLD wide web, and in many ways, we are.

But about 70% of the world's population does not have access to the Internet.

The vast majority of Internet users are from the U.S. and (mostly western) Europe. This significantly impacts the way we see the world - what information and perspectives we are exposed to; whom we communicate with; and how we can make an impact. When people are connected online, they are more knowledgeable and able to participate in both the global economy and other aspects of information sharing. Do you think there should be greater efforts to get more of the human population online? If so, how should we try to achieve this?
President of DDO
Mr.Wonderful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:26:50 PM
Honestly... I think the best way to get more people online is to provide public areas where they can go similar to what many libraries are starting to do with the whole paperless thing. Censorship is also a big problem because many countries outright ban people from accessing certain sites and/or force people to use public databases. Internet cafes are popular throughout Asia.

Also need to consider that 70% of the world is dirt poor... especially in the countries with over 1 billion population. It'd be nice but I think there's a lot more effort being dumped into limiting information than making it readily available. In all honesty its a convenience that is still secondary to things like electricity and running water.

I can tell you are an idealist and the last thing an idealist wants to be told is it can't be done... but we are still a few centuries off assuming the world doesn't slide further backward into the abyss. I think that the internet cafe idea or grand publicly accessible tech labs would maybe help improve this number another 10% or so... but for the 60% of the population that is mountain dwellers who live in rural areas the growth will be much slower. So I guess I'd say just improve what you can where you can and new options will come available over time. I'd say were a good century or two away from the world having internet access... but if you are looking to do something on a grand scale you might really want to consider delving deeper into the electric field generator research of Nicolae Tesla... of course that would put you on the hit list of every Globalist on the planet but if you were to succeed, such research could turn the tables on many things. Of course the understanding of radiation poisoning was kinda limited back then as well so I'm sure some fine tuning would be required for such devices to make a re-emergence. Electricity is the real challenge.
Udel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 8:24:47 PM
This is an excellent post Dani, you bring up a good point. The digital divide leaves people behind. In the inner cities teens don't have wifi to fill out job applications or college applications. Poor people don't have the internet at home to do their school work which makes them get bad grades. They have limited computer skills and only know how to use the internet, but not many programs, so they don't do well professionally. Most low income students use their cell phone as their primary internet source but have limited data, and they cannot write papers or do other research that is easier to do on computers.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:06:44 PM
I'm bumping this thread because it's important and interesting. Unlike the entire Debate.org forum.

Speaking of the Digital Divide, how many people know what's been going on in Sudan for the last 5 years?

How many people know what happened in Sudan very recently? http://www.cnn.com...

How many people can even locate Sudan on a map...?
President of DDO