Total Posts:154|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

White Boy Privilege

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:54:24 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
A teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry went viral.

In this poem, he talks about how being a heterosexual white boy gives him privilege that is not afforded to other people based on factors like sex or race. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of good points, and this is his art and perspective. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com...

Full Transcript:

Dear women, I'm sorry.
Dear black people, I'm sorry.
Dear Asian-Americans, dear Native Americans, dear immigrants who come here seeking a better life, I'm sorry.
Dear everyone who isn't a middle or upper-class white boy, I'm sorry.
I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung.
I say now that I would change places with you in an instant, but if given the opportunity, would I?
Probably not.
Because to be honest, being privileged is awesome. I'm not saying that you and me on different rungs of the ladder is how I want it to stay.
I'm not saying that any part of me has for a moment even liked it that way.
I'm just saying that I f------ love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can say 'f------' and not one of you is attributing that to the fact that everyone with my skin color has a dirty mouth.
I love it because I don't have to spend an hour every morning putting on makeup to meet other people's standards.
I love it because I can worry about what kind of food is on my plate instead of whether or not there will be food on my plate.
I love it because when I see a police officer I see someone who's on my side.
To be honest I'm scared of what it would be like if i wasn't on the top rung if the tables were turned and I didn't have my white boy privilege safety blankie to protect me.
If I lived a life lit by what I lack, not what I have, if I lived a life in which when I failed, the world would say, 'Told you so.'
If I lived the life that you live.
When I was born I had a success story already written for me.
You -- you were given a pen and no paper.
I've always felt that that's unfair but I've never dared to speak up because I've been too scared.
Well now I realize that there's enough blankie to be shared. Everyone should have the privileges I have.
In fact they should be rights instead.
Everyone's story should be written, so all they have to do is get it read.
Enough said.
No, not enough said.
It is embarrassing that we still live in a world in which we judge another person's character by of the size of their paycheck, the color of their skin, or the type of chromosomes they have.
It is embarrassing that we tell our kids that it is not their personality, but instead those same chromosomes that get to dictate what color clothes they wear and how short they must cut their hair.
But most of all, it is embarrassing that we deny this. That we claim to live in an equal country and an equal world.
We say that women can vote. Well guess what: They can run a country, own a company, and throw a nasty curve ball as well. We just don't give them the chance to.
I know it wasn't us 8th-grade white boys who created this system, but we profit from it every day.
We don't notice these privileges though, because they don't come in the form of things we gain, but rather the lack of injustices that we endure.
Because of my gender, I can watch any sport on TV, and feel like that could be me one day.
Because of my race I can eat at a fancy restaurant without the wait staff expecting me to steal the silverware.
Thanks to my parents' salary I go to a school that brings my dreams closer instead of pushing them away.
Dear white boys: I'm not sorry.
I don't care if you think the feminists are taking over the world, that the Black Lives Matter movement has gotten a little too strong, because that's bulls---.
I get that change can be scary, but equality shouldn't be.
Hey white boys: It's time to act like a woman. To be strong and make a difference. It's time to let go of that fear.
It's time to take that ladder and turn it into a bridge.
President of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:03:31 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I disagree with the "male" part. I think the only real privileges that males enjoy are conferred by biology, such as the ability to take immense pleasure from sex.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:05:24 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Also, the "born on the top rung"/"born on the bottom rung" part is not universal. There are PLENTY of dirt-poor whites.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:27:45 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 2:54:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
A teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry went viral.

In this poem, he talks about how being a heterosexual white boy gives him privilege that is not afforded to other people based on factors like sex or race. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of good points, and this is his art and perspective. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com...

Full Transcript:

Dear women, I'm sorry.
Dear black people, I'm sorry.
Dear Asian-Americans, dear Native Americans, dear immigrants who come here seeking a better life, I'm sorry.
Dear everyone who isn't a middle or upper-class white boy, I'm sorry.
I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung.
I say now that I would change places with you in an instant, but if given the opportunity, would I?
Probably not.
Because to be honest, being privileged is awesome. I'm not saying that you and me on different rungs of the ladder is how I want it to stay.
I'm not saying that any part of me has for a moment even liked it that way.
I'm just saying that I f------ love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can say 'f------' and not one of you is attributing that to the fact that everyone with my skin color has a dirty mouth.
I love it because I don't have to spend an hour every morning putting on makeup to meet other people's standards.
I love it because I can worry about what kind of food is on my plate instead of whether or not there will be food on my plate.
I love it because when I see a police officer I see someone who's on my side.
To be honest I'm scared of what it would be like if i wasn't on the top rung if the tables were turned and I didn't have my white boy privilege safety blankie to protect me.
If I lived a life lit by what I lack, not what I have, if I lived a life in which when I failed, the world would say, 'Told you so.'
If I lived the life that you live.
When I was born I had a success story already written for me.
You -- you were given a pen and no paper.
I've always felt that that's unfair but I've never dared to speak up because I've been too scared.
Well now I realize that there's enough blankie to be shared. Everyone should have the privileges I have.
In fact they should be rights instead.
Everyone's story should be written, so all they have to do is get it read.
Enough said.
No, not enough said.
It is embarrassing that we still live in a world in which we judge another person's character by of the size of their paycheck, the color of their skin, or the type of chromosomes they have.
It is embarrassing that we tell our kids that it is not their personality, but instead those same chromosomes that get to dictate what color clothes they wear and how short they must cut their hair.
But most of all, it is embarrassing that we deny this. That we claim to live in an equal country and an equal world.
We say that women can vote. Well guess what: They can run a country, own a company, and throw a nasty curve ball as well. We just don't give them the chance to.
I know it wasn't us 8th-grade white boys who created this system, but we profit from it every day.
We don't notice these privileges though, because they don't come in the form of things we gain, but rather the lack of injustices that we endure.
Because of my gender, I can watch any sport on TV, and feel like that could be me one day.
Because of my race I can eat at a fancy restaurant without the wait staff expecting me to steal the silverware.
Thanks to my parents' salary I go to a school that brings my dreams closer instead of pushing them away.
Dear white boys: I'm not sorry.
I don't care if you think the feminists are taking over the world, that the Black Lives Matter movement has gotten a little too strong, because that's bulls---.
I get that change can be scary, but equality shouldn't be.
Hey white boys: It's time to act like a woman. To be strong and make a difference. It's time to let go of that fear.
It's time to take that ladder and turn it into a bridge.

Privileges are given not taken.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:40:09 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 2:54:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
A teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry went viral.

In this poem, he talks about how being a heterosexual white boy gives him privilege that is not afforded to other people based on factors like sex or race. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of good points, and this is his art and perspective. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com...

Full Transcript:

Dear women, I'm sorry.
Dear black people, I'm sorry.
Dear Asian-Americans, dear Native Americans, dear immigrants who come here seeking a better life, I'm sorry.
Dear everyone who isn't a middle or upper-class white boy, I'm sorry.
I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung.
I say now that I would change places with you in an instant, but if given the opportunity, would I?
Probably not.
Because to be honest, being privileged is awesome. I'm not saying that you and me on different rungs of the ladder is how I want it to stay.
I'm not saying that any part of me has for a moment even liked it that way.
I'm just saying that I f------ love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can say 'f------' and not one of you is attributing that to the fact that everyone with my skin color has a dirty mouth.
I love it because I don't have to spend an hour every morning putting on makeup to meet other people's standards.
I love it because I can worry about what kind of food is on my plate instead of whether or not there will be food on my plate.
I love it because when I see a police officer I see someone who's on my side.
To be honest I'm scared of what it would be like if i wasn't on the top rung if the tables were turned and I didn't have my white boy privilege safety blankie to protect me.
If I lived a life lit by what I lack, not what I have, if I lived a life in which when I failed, the world would say, 'Told you so.'
If I lived the life that you live.
When I was born I had a success story already written for me.
You -- you were given a pen and no paper.
I've always felt that that's unfair but I've never dared to speak up because I've been too scared.
Well now I realize that there's enough blankie to be shared. Everyone should have the privileges I have.
In fact they should be rights instead.
Everyone's story should be written, so all they have to do is get it read.
Enough said.
No, not enough said.
It is embarrassing that we still live in a world in which we judge another person's character by of the size of their paycheck, the color of their skin, or the type of chromosomes they have.
It is embarrassing that we tell our kids that it is not their personality, but instead those same chromosomes that get to dictate what color clothes they wear and how short they must cut their hair.
But most of all, it is embarrassing that we deny this. That we claim to live in an equal country and an equal world.
We say that women can vote. Well guess what: They can run a country, own a company, and throw a nasty curve ball as well. We just don't give them the chance to.
I know it wasn't us 8th-grade white boys who created this system, but we profit from it every day.
We don't notice these privileges though, because they don't come in the form of things we gain, but rather the lack of injustices that we endure.
Because of my gender, I can watch any sport on TV, and feel like that could be me one day.
Because of my race I can eat at a fancy restaurant without the wait staff expecting me to steal the silverware.
Thanks to my parents' salary I go to a school that brings my dreams closer instead of pushing them away.
Dear white boys: I'm not sorry.
I don't care if you think the feminists are taking over the world, that the Black Lives Matter movement has gotten a little too strong, because that's bulls---.
I get that change can be scary, but equality shouldn't be.
Hey white boys: It's time to act like a woman. To be strong and make a difference. It's time to let go of that fear.
It's time to take that ladder and turn it into a bridge.

The same white boy who will keep his "privelege", but wants to take yours.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:41:43 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 3:03:31 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I disagree with the "male" part. I think the only real privileges that males enjoy are conferred by biology, such as the ability to take immense pleasure from sex.

You should have met my ex. She was like a faucet.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:09:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 3:03:31 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I disagree with the "male" part. I think the only real privileges that males enjoy are conferred by biology, such as the ability to take immense pleasure from sex.

I think legally women have far more rights than men, but there is definitely a double standard in social society. The sex shaming women thing is one example. Then there's the fact that men don't worry or fear rape, whereas that's a legitimate worry for most women (pretty often). I also think men are still automatically assumed to be stronger, smarter or do better in roles of authority

...and btw women get lots of pleasure from sex, maybe even more than men.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:10:12 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 3:05:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Also, the "born on the top rung"/"born on the bottom rung" part is not universal. There are PLENTY of dirt-poor whites.

True, he was generalizing here for sure. There are lots of rich minorities as well.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:11:03 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 3:36:05 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
I'm not sorry I was born white. Don't like it? Screw you

He didn't apologize for being white. He was saying that he's sorry people who are not white are not afforded the same privileges.
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:24:21 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
The only thing I really strongly object to is just the stylistic use of the phrase "I'm sorry."

I mean, I'm a poet myself, I totally get that artistic license warrants and demands imprecise use of language and not saying what you mean directly--that's fundamental to the art. At the same time though, it's the same reason why I can't stand Sorry Day in Australia: I think it's important to try and reverse and break down these structural and state-enforced inequalities, but I don't like the idea that every straight and rich and cis person I might is actively responsible for the abuse I've gone through. It's uncomfortable to me to suggest that they should also apologize. It's not only not fair to them, but it also has a weird level of unwitting condescension/trivialization. I dunno, I can't describe it too well.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:25:30 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 2:54:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
A teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry went viral.

In this poem, he talks about how being a heterosexual white boy gives him privilege that is not afforded to other people based on factors like sex or race. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of good points, and this is his art and perspective. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com...

Full Transcript:

Dear women, I'm sorry.
Dear black people, I'm sorry.
Dear Asian-Americans, dear Native Americans, dear immigrants who come here seeking a better life, I'm sorry.
Dear everyone who isn't a middle or upper-class white boy, I'm sorry.
I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung.
I say now that I would change places with you in an instant, but if given the opportunity, would I?
Probably not.
Because to be honest, being privileged is awesome. I'm not saying that you and me on different rungs of the ladder is how I want it to stay.
I'm not saying that any part of me has for a moment even liked it that way.
I'm just saying that I f------ love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can say 'f------' and not one of you is attributing that to the fact that everyone with my skin color has a dirty mouth.
I love it because I don't have to spend an hour every morning putting on makeup to meet other people's standards.
I love it because I can worry about what kind of food is on my plate instead of whether or not there will be food on my plate.
I love it because when I see a police officer I see someone who's on my side.
To be honest I'm scared of what it would be like if i wasn't on the top rung if the tables were turned and I didn't have my white boy privilege safety blankie to protect me.
If I lived a life lit by what I lack, not what I have, if I lived a life in which when I failed, the world would say, 'Told you so.'
If I lived the life that you live.
When I was born I had a success story already written for me.
You -- you were given a pen and no paper.
I've always felt that that's unfair but I've never dared to speak up because I've been too scared.
Well now I realize that there's enough blankie to be shared. Everyone should have the privileges I have.
In fact they should be rights instead.
Everyone's story should be written, so all they have to do is get it read.
Enough said.
No, not enough said.
It is embarrassing that we still live in a world in which we judge another person's character by of the size of their paycheck, the color of their skin, or the type of chromosomes they have.
It is embarrassing that we tell our kids that it is not their personality, but instead those same chromosomes that get to dictate what color clothes they wear and how short they must cut their hair.
But most of all, it is embarrassing that we deny this. That we claim to live in an equal country and an equal world.
We say that women can vote. Well guess what: They can run a country, own a company, and throw a nasty curve ball as well. We just don't give them the chance to.
I know it wasn't us 8th-grade white boys who created this system, but we profit from it every day.
We don't notice these privileges though, because they don't come in the form of things we gain, but rather the lack of injustices that we endure.
Because of my gender, I can watch any sport on TV, and feel like that could be me one day.
Because of my race I can eat at a fancy restaurant without the wait staff expecting me to steal the silverware.
Thanks to my parents' salary I go to a school that brings my dreams closer instead of pushing them away.
Dear white boys: I'm not sorry.
I don't care if you think the feminists are taking over the world, that the Black Lives Matter movement has gotten a little too strong, because that's bulls---.
I get that change can be scary, but equality shouldn't be.
Hey white boys: It's time to act like a woman. To be strong and make a difference. It's time to let go of that fear.
It's time to take that ladder and turn it into a bridge.

Hes not old enough to have enough experience to begin to comment on this whole thing. I know plenty of black folk who were born into better circumstances than myself and whoes families make more than mine. The reality is that there isnt any privilage for anyone. Id love to see this boy move into the detroit area off of joy rd and see just how much privilage he has then...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:32:04 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 6:25:30 PM, bigotry wrote:
Hes not old enough to have enough experience to begin to comment on this whole thing. I know plenty of black folk who were born into better circumstances than myself and whoes families make more than mine. The reality is that there isnt any privilage for anyone. Id love to see this boy move into the detroit area off of joy rd and see just how much privilage he has then...

So what you are saying is - that one's privilege depends on their location and place in time, correct?
President of DDO
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:39:45 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 6:32:04 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 6:25:30 PM, bigotry wrote:
Hes not old enough to have enough experience to begin to comment on this whole thing. I know plenty of black folk who were born into better circumstances than myself and whoes families make more than mine. The reality is that there isnt any privilage for anyone. Id love to see this boy move into the detroit area off of joy rd and see just how much privilage he has then...

So what you are saying is - that one's privilege depends on their location and place in time, correct?

No Im saying "privilage" doesnt exist. Unless you would like to call being black and living in a black neighborhood black privilage, the argument falls apart.

Lets see white boys daddy get caught with a key of coke and see how much privilage he has then...
KendoRe2
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:47:58 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 5:11:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 3:36:05 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
I'm not sorry I was born white. Don't like it? Screw you

He didn't apologize for being white. He was saying that he's sorry people who are not white are not afforded the same privileges.

You have what you earn in life. There are tons of rich people of every color
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:02:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 6:47:58 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
You have what you earn in life. There are tons of rich people of every color

You inherit privilege. If you are born into a wealthy family, you obviously have privileges that poor people do not. And I specifically pointed out earlier that there are rich people of every race.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:08:22 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 6:39:45 PM, bigotry wrote:
No Im saying "privilage" doesnt exist. Unless you would like to call being black and living in a black neighborhood black privilage, the argument falls apart.

To deny that rich people don't have privileges over poor people is stupid and obviously untrue. Privilege obviously exists in some capacity. I believe racial privilege exists including the privilege of being black in a black neighborhood.

Lets see white boys daddy get caught with a key of coke and see how much privilage he has then...

Lol, it's incredibly ignorant to suggest that rich, famous, or otherwise privileged (connected / wealthy) people don't get off *incredibly easy* if penalized at all for their crimes! Hahaha! That is literally the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Bravo. How many examples would you like? Sure, some rich people pay the price for their criminal activity. But not often. And not anywhere near to the same degree as us regular people or worse - poor people. Poor people go to jail for drugs. Rich people openly do drugs. Politicians and law enforcement break the law constantly and get away with it the majority of the time. Let me ask you - what do you think about Hillary Clinton's e-mail for starters ;)

https://www.theguardian.com...

https://www.quora.com...

http://giantlife.com...

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com...

http://listverse.com...
President of DDO
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:27:12 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 3:36:05 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
I'm not sorry I was born white. Don't like it? Screw you

Agreed.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:27:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 2:54:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
A teen's "White Boy Privilege" slam poetry went viral.

In this poem, he talks about how being a heterosexual white boy gives him privilege that is not afforded to other people based on factors like sex or race. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of good points, and this is his art and perspective. What are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com...

Full Transcript:

Dear women, I'm sorry.
Dear black people, I'm sorry.
Dear Asian-Americans, dear Native Americans, dear immigrants who come here seeking a better life, I'm sorry.
Dear everyone who isn't a middle or upper-class white boy, I'm sorry.
I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung.
I say now that I would change places with you in an instant, but if given the opportunity, would I?
Probably not.
Because to be honest, being privileged is awesome. I'm not saying that you and me on different rungs of the ladder is how I want it to stay.
I'm not saying that any part of me has for a moment even liked it that way.
I'm just saying that I f------ love being privileged and I'm not ready to give that away. I love it because I can say 'f------' and not one of you is attributing that to the fact that everyone with my skin color has a dirty mouth.
I love it because I don't have to spend an hour every morning putting on makeup to meet other people's standards.
I love it because I can worry about what kind of food is on my plate instead of whether or not there will be food on my plate.
I love it because when I see a police officer I see someone who's on my side.
To be honest I'm scared of what it would be like if i wasn't on the top rung if the tables were turned and I didn't have my white boy privilege safety blankie to protect me.
If I lived a life lit by what I lack, not what I have, if I lived a life in which when I failed, the world would say, 'Told you so.'
If I lived the life that you live.
When I was born I had a success story already written for me.
You -- you were given a pen and no paper.
I've always felt that that's unfair but I've never dared to speak up because I've been too scared.
Well now I realize that there's enough blankie to be shared. Everyone should have the privileges I have.
In fact they should be rights instead.
Everyone's story should be written, so all they have to do is get it read.
Enough said.
No, not enough said.
It is embarrassing that we still live in a world in which we judge another person's character by of the size of their paycheck, the color of their skin, or the type of chromosomes they have.
It is embarrassing that we tell our kids that it is not their personality, but instead those same chromosomes that get to dictate what color clothes they wear and how short they must cut their hair.
But most of all, it is embarrassing that we deny this. That we claim to live in an equal country and an equal world.
We say that women can vote. Well guess what: They can run a country, own a company, and throw a nasty curve ball as well. We just don't give them the chance to.
I know it wasn't us 8th-grade white boys who created this system, but we profit from it every day.
We don't notice these privileges though, because they don't come in the form of things we gain, but rather the lack of injustices that we endure.
Because of my gender, I can watch any sport on TV, and feel like that could be me one day.
Because of my race I can eat at a fancy restaurant without the wait staff expecting me to steal the silverware.
Thanks to my parents' salary I go to a school that brings my dreams closer instead of pushing them away.
Dear white boys: I'm not sorry.
I don't care if you think the feminists are taking over the world, that the Black Lives Matter movement has gotten a little too strong, because that's bulls---.
I get that change can be scary, but equality shouldn't be.
Hey white boys: It's time to act like a woman. To be strong and make a difference. It's time to let go of that fear.
It's time to take that ladder and turn it into a bridge.

What a moron. Be proud and quite whining.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
KendoRe2
Posts: 126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:38:25 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 7:02:07 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 6:47:58 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
You have what you earn in life. There are tons of rich people of every color

You inherit privilege. If you are born into a wealthy family, you obviously have privileges that poor people do not. And I specifically pointed out earlier that there are rich people of every race.

Well what do you want to do about it? Strip all money from all rich people and throw it in the street for poor people to fight over?

At some point someone in your family had to earn that fortune. If they are smart, they save and pass it down. Nothing wrong that. Its their families money. Doesn't make me hate them.
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:45:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 7:08:22 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 6:39:45 PM, bigotry wrote:
No Im saying "privilage" doesnt exist. Unless you would like to call being black and living in a black neighborhood black privilage, the argument falls apart.

To deny that rich people don't have privileges over poor people is stupid and obviously untrue. Privilege obviously exists in some capacity. I believe racial privilege exists including the privilege of being black in a black neighborhood.


We never discussed rich privilage you were only referring to white privilage which I again affirm isnt a real thing. Im curious how you would define in your own words white privilage.
Lets see white boys daddy get caught with a key of coke and see how much privilage he has then...

Lol, it's incredibly ignorant to suggest that rich, famous, or otherwise privileged (connected / wealthy) people don't get off *incredibly easy* if penalized at all for their crimes! Hahaha! That is literally the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Bravo. How many examples would you like? Sure, some rich people pay the price for their criminal activity. But not often. And not anywhere near to the same degree as us regular people or worse - poor people. Poor people go to jail for drugs. Rich people openly do drugs. Politicians and law enforcement break the law constantly and get away with it the majority of the time. Let me ask you - what do you think about Hillary Clinton's e-mail for starters ;)

https://www.theguardian.com...

https://www.quora.com...

http://giantlife.com...

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com...

http://listverse.com...

So how rich is this white boys daddy? If hes middle class, again see what happens when daddy gets caught with a key of coke in his car...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:00:08 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 7:27:28 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What a moron. Be proud and quite whining.

Why would anyone be proud for being white? It's not an accomplishment.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:01:43 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 7:38:25 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
Well what do you want to do about it? Strip all money from all rich people and throw it in the street for poor people to fight over?

No... I don't believe in wealth redistribution. I don't know why you assume that I would.

At some point someone in your family had to earn that fortune. If they are smart, they save and pass it down. Nothing wrong that. Its their families money. Doesn't make me hate them.

That's fine. I'm perfectly okay with passed on wealth. But I disagree that all of it is "rightfully earned." Still I don't support redistribution.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:09:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 7:45:27 PM, bigotry wrote:
We never discussed rich privilage you were only referring to white privilage which I again affirm isnt a real thing. Im curious how you would define in your own words white privilage.

That's a good question. Here's an example that I like to give because I have experienced it firsthand many times. I'm open about being a pot smoker; there's nothing wrong with it and I think it's absurd that it's against the law. That said, one time I was smoking in Central Park with some friends. Cops walked by and smelled it. Instead of approaching us, they immediately went over to 2 black guys who were sitting on a bench eating fried chicken (lol). I mention their food only to point out that it doesn't make sense to assume people who are eating are also smoking simultaneously. The cops gave the black guys a hard time. They also talked to them disrespectfully and approached them in a hostile way. When the cops approached us, they just nodded and walked by. They not only assumed the pot smokers were the 2 black guys, but were polite and indifferent toward us, but hostile toward them.

Another thing to consider is that some discrimination is justified and rational. For example, studies show that taxi cabs don't venture into the inner city looking for work. They're afraid and rightfully so. But obviously if you live in a white neighborhood, you won't have a problem with people and businesses specifically avoiding you out of fear. So while I don't say people are automatically wrong or at fault for the existence of white privilege, I'm saying it definitely exists insofar as there being a disparity between the ASSUMPTIONS made about white and black people, and all white or all black communities.

So how rich is this white boys daddy? If hes middle class, again see what happens when daddy gets caught with a key of coke in his car...

Okay, now you're talking about middle class, not the rich. So you concede that one's class GREATLY affects whether or not they are penalized by law enforcement and how harshly. What about the guy Ethan Couch who killed 4 people and the judge let him off for "affluenza" you know... because he was so rich, he couldn't possibly understand the implications of his crime *eye roll*

Also, race plays a factor in law enforcement for drugs in particular. White people do drugs far more than blacks, yet blacks get penalized far more. There is a lot of data on this. https://www.hrw.org...
President of DDO
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:15:04 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Some of the things included in his list of white boy benefits are so laughably inconsequential that one has to wonder whether he's really had it that good after all (but more likely he just ran out of things to say). Not having to put on make up? Fantasizing of becoming a sports star? Really? Blacks are overrepresented in sports and most women like to put on makeup and shop for nice clothes, a convention enforced largely by women themselves and something they've been doing all over the world throughout history (and anyway, males are expected to meet certain standards too). Does he forget that women sports are now a thing? They don't attract as much attention as male sports and the athletes don't receive as much money but is that really such a tragedy? What about the fact that women live significantly longer, get better grades in school, and attend college at far higher rates than men? What about the fact that women receive shorter sentences for exactly the same crimes?

Economic privilege is real and should be addressed, but to think of it strictly in terms of a "white male" issue is just at odds with the facts. Just as many females come from wealthy families as do males, and when you carefully examine the data you'll find that the "women make less money for the same work" claim is largely a myth (the pay gap is something like 3 percent when you control for all the relevant factors). It's true that there are fewer women CEOs and political leaders relative to the number of "qualified" women, and probably a lot of this can be attributed to sexist stereotypes, but to assume that exactly the same proportion of females have the sort of "leadership temperament" required to succeed at such roles -- to assume that the stereotype is without any basis at all -- is an arrogant assumption which he's not capable of defending.

The number of blacks shot by police every year is minuscule, and even less when you subtract the justified shootings. Blacks shoot and kill each other at far higher rates than the police, and blacks kill police at far higher rates than the police kill them. When blacks stop committing crime at 7 times the white rate, the police will stop profiling them. Unjustified killings of blacks should stop, but so should black willingness to commit crime.

And why is he apologizing to Asians? By most measures Asians do significantly better than whites. In fact, the two most privileged demographic groups are Ashkenazi Jews and East Asians. If we're apologizing to each other in order of our "privilege," these two groups would go first.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:15:45 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 8:00:08 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 7:27:28 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
What a moron. Be proud and quite whining.

Why would anyone be proud for being white? It's not an accomplishment.

He was angered at his wealth as well. You can be proud of things that you had no say in.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:21:50 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 8:15:45 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
He was angered at his wealth as well. You can be proud of things that you had no say in.

No, he was angered that some people are privileged on the basis of their skin color or sex alone. And it's pretty stupid to be proud of things you "had no say in." Pride should be reserved for your accomplishments and achievements. Not for stupid things like race or nationality. You had absolutely no say in your race or nationality; it was a genetic circumstance that you inherited and did nothing to earn. Therefore it doesn't justify pride.
President of DDO
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:23:11 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 8:21:50 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 8:15:45 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
He was angered at his wealth as well. You can be proud of things that you had no say in.

No, he was angered that some people are privileged on the basis of their skin color or sex alone. And it's pretty stupid to be proud of things you "had no say in." Pride should be reserved for your accomplishments and achievements. Not for stupid things like race or nationality. You had absolutely no say in your race or nationality; it was a genetic circumstance that you inherited and did nothing to earn. Therefore it doesn't justify pride.

"I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung."

This equates to wealth, which I was basing my argument off of.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:24:19 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 8:23:11 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
"I have started life in the top of the ladder while you were born on the first rung."

This equates to wealth, which I was basing my argument off of.

Right, so he's acknowledging the disparity and his privilege. I don't think it warrants anger but certainly acknowledgement.
President of DDO
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:14:43 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/14/2016 8:09:29 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/14/2016 7:45:27 PM, bigotry wrote:
We never discussed rich privilage you were only referring to white privilage which I again affirm isnt a real thing. Im curious how you would define in your own words white privilage.

That's a good question. Here's an example that I like to give because I have experienced it firsthand many times. I'm open about being a pot smoker; there's nothing wrong with it and I think it's absurd that it's against the law. That said, one time I was smoking in Central Park with some friends. Cops walked by and smelled it. Instead of approaching us, they immediately went over to 2 black guys who were sitting on a bench eating fried chicken (lol). I mention their food only to point out that it doesn't make sense to assume people who are eating are also smoking simultaneously. The cops gave the black guys a hard time. They also talked to them disrespectfully and approached them in a hostile way. When the cops approached us, they just nodded and walked by. They not only assumed the pot smokers were the 2 black guys, but were polite and indifferent toward us, but hostile toward them.

your explanation is lacking a concrete definition where we can look at a scenario and say this is white boy privilege. The example you have given is nothing more in the way of cops being a dick. Are you a woman? That would also come into play as cops traditionally are sexist and treat women differently than men when investigating a crime as it were. It probably doesn't help either that Hollywood pushes a notion to justify racial profiling as for whatever reason in the music of black culture weed is an accepted and promoted thing.
Another thing to consider is that some discrimination is justified and rational. For example, studies show that taxi cabs don't venture into the inner city looking for work. They're afraid and rightfully so. But obviously if you live in a white neighborhood, you won't have a problem with people and businesses specifically avoiding you out of fear. So while I don't say people are automatically wrong or at fault for the existence of white privilege, I'm saying it definitely exists insofar as there being a disparity between the ASSUMPTIONS made about white and black people, and all white or all black communities.

Do you really think the basis of not venturing into an inner city is because its a black inner city? Or because its a high crime inner city?
So how rich is this white boys daddy? If hes middle class, again see what happens when daddy gets caught with a key of coke in his car...

Okay, now you're talking about middle class, not the rich. So you concede that one's class GREATLY affects whether or not they are penalized by law enforcement and how harshly. What about the guy Ethan Couch who killed 4 people and the judge let him off for "affluenza" you know... because he was so rich, he couldn't possibly understand the implications of his crime *eye roll*

its all relative. people in the inner city certainly consider middle class to be rich. Ever lived in an inner city before?
Also, race plays a factor in law enforcement for drugs in particular. White people do drugs far more than blacks, yet blacks get penalized far more. There is a lot of data on this. https://www.hrw.org...
Isnt this just an example of poor policing?