Black lives matter.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:37:24 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Don't they?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:48:59 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:47:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
They do.

If only we could wrap it up and leave it at that, then, with all this anti-BLM garbage which effectively boils down to "black people make me uncomfortable."

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:08:25 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:48:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
If only we could wrap it up and leave it at that, then, with all this anti-BLM garbage which effectively boils down to "black people make me uncomfortable."

People feel the need to make everything about them or get defensive if you highlight an injustice, imbalance or disparity against any group they aren't part of. White people interpret it as pinning blame or fault on them (I don't know why). They think if you say something like "Black lives matter," it's somehow implying that white lives don't matter which is stupid. Or if you tell them that white privilege exists, they will say it doesn't exist because not all white people have class privilege (wealth) as if the 2 are inextricably linked *eye roll*

You can also see this though (the need to make everything about one's self) when some BLM protestors accuse the highlighting other injustice in the world as "trying to steal their spotlight." White people aren't the only ones who do this; they just tend to do it more often since they've historically been the oppressors, not the oppressed.But some in the BLM camp have been excessively whining as well.
President of DDO
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:23:41 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:37:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Don't they?
Yes they do, but Black Lives Matter (the movement) is absolute trash.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:37:22 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:23:41 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

http://www.debate.org...
President of DDO
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:41:09 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:37:22 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/20/2016 10:23:41 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

http://www.debate.org...
I'm going to post a forum thread about why I am against Black Lives Matter. I'll reply with its URL when I'm finished.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:41:43 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:41:09 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
I'm going to post a forum thread about why I am against Black Lives Matter. I'll reply with its URL when I'm finished.

That's fine, but a lot of those already exist. My thread asks a very specific question. Please answer.
President of DDO
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:42:58 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:41:43 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/20/2016 10:41:09 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

That's fine, but a lot of those already exist. My thread asks a very specific question. Please answer.
I will, but after I post my forum thread.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:43:33 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:42:58 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
I will, but after I post my forum thread.

President of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:54:17 PM
Don't they?

All human lives matter, however in some social circles this is never the case....
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:56:51 PM
Instead of spamming threads regarding this subject, it would be nice if folks would redirect themselves to: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:58:17 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:56:51 PM, Hiu wrote:
Instead of spamming threads regarding this subject, it would be nice if folks would redirect themselves to: http://www.debate.org...

So redirect themselves to YOUR post, which was made well after many, many others?

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:59:58 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:58:17 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So redirect themselves to YOUR post, which was made well after many, many others?

None with someone who is actually involved with BLM
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 11:01:30 PM
I don't know what's so hard with replying "Yes, they do."

Not "Yes, but..."

Like, I follow the Native Lives Matter page - it never occured to me think they meant ONLY Native Lives Matter.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 11:04:23 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:59:58 PM, Hiu wrote:

What do you consider to be "involved with BLM," and how do you know no one else here is?

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 11:10:08 PM
At 7/20/2016 11:04:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/20/2016 10:59:58 PM, Hiu wrote:

What do you consider to be "involved with BLM," and how do you know no one else here is?

True I don't know, however given the threads that are popping up I highly doubt it. Been involved at my university for the longest time. I highly involved in our black student union so naturally we tend to organize meetings and such.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:14:51 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:48:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 7/20/2016 8:47:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
They do.

Your representation that opposition to BLM reduces to "black people make me uncomfortable" is not even close to accurate.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:16:13 PM
No person on earth is suggesting that black lives don't matter, and opposition to BLM does not mean that the person who opposes BLM is saying that 'black lives don't matter'.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 7:16:41 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:04:37 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Oh sh1t, is that what BLM stands for. I thought it was a new kind of sandwich. (Bacon, Lettuce, Mayo)

Last I heard it was a "terrorist" organization calling for the death of all police officers and white people Or was that Islam, I forget.
Ruggie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:11:03 PM
The sarcastic comments surely don't progress the discussion, regardless of their intent.

To the original post: Of course they do. Any statement to the contrary (including "all lives matter") misses the entire point. One wouldn't respond with "all cancers matter" to someone promoting breast cancer awareness. Raising awareness of a societal injustice does not negate the overall concept relating to the topic (in this case, the fact that, yes, all lives do matter, of course).

I do have an issue with the BLM movement, however. It is the organization of it that bothers me. I don't have any answer to this issue but I would love to hear any positive ideas you all may have. I feel that BLM lacks organization - lacks leadership. I think this causes a bigger misunderstanding of the movement than could otherwise exist. I'm reminded of the Occupy movement in this regard. What could be the best way to solve this issue? I find that another obstacle to the movement (as well an obvious strength) is social media. Anyone can claim any statement or action in the name of BLM - such as hate speech or violence - which does not accurately reflect the core movement. Can these outliers be blocked out of claiming the movement for themselves? Is it even something that would be preferable?

Just a few thoughts I've have jumping around in my mind. I don't claim to have the answers to all of my questions. I'm curious as to what some of you may bring to it. Thanks for reading.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 11:58:46 PM
As I observe it the clear answer is no.

If it ever becomes necessary to proclaim that a black life matters, then the reason for proclamation must be for black life to be validated.

An observation into the majority of Black American life would support that validation is yet to be achieved.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:13:56 AM
Don't they?

Matter to what?

Black people matter just as much as every other US citizen: they get the same rights as every other US citizen, and, with affirmative action, even more than some.

Perhaps the question should be turned around to, how do blacks contribute to society?

You can find all the facts I'm about to reference in the videos here:
https://www.youtube.com...

- Blacks have an average IQ of 84
- Blacks disproportionately use welfare
- Blacks disproportionately commit crimes (largely violent crimes)
- The majority of blacks vote for bigger government (democrats)

Not looking so good.
keekers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:39:56 AM
I do believe in the statement that black lives matter. The movement wants to draw attention to black lives and that too many young black men are getting killed by the police. This makes sense.

What does not make sense however is the mindless complaining and the divisiveness that the movement creates. Where are the solutions people? That is what I want. It seems as if when a black man gets shot by a policeman, there are protests with angry young people shouting about police brutality and white supremacy. Then the next black man gets shot and it is the same thing all over again. Black man gets shot, millennials get angry, they protest, repeat. What is BLM's end game? What are they trying to accomplish exactly?

They are wasting their energy yelling at white people when that energy and public attention could be used on problems occurring in the black community, ie. poverty, illegitimacy, low test scores. We have a lot of internal problems that should be getting all of this media attention, not young college kids supporting something they don't understand.

Also, these politicians make me sick. Saying they are for the blacks and that they love us, but they never really do anything to help us. It is all just talk. They just want our vote.