The Result of Affirmative Action

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:49:47 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/23/2016 3:27:28 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
You have proof that they only got into college through affirmative action?

You need proof?
Tsar of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 11:05:47 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:49:47 PM, YYW wrote:

You need proof?

Yes. Please provide said evidence.
#BlackLivesMatter
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 11:19:17 PM
At 7/23/2016 11:05:47 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

You need proof?

lol

The proof is in the video itself.
Tsar of DDO
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 11:27:04 PM
At 7/23/2016 11:19:17 PM, YYW wrote:

You need proof?

lol

Proof is racist you misogynist.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 12:10:02 AM
At 7/23/2016 11:19:17 PM, YYW wrote:

You need proof?

lol

No it isn't. At no point during the video was it said they only got into college based on affirmative action. Did you watch a different video?
#BlackLivesMatter
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 6:03:50 AM
Ummm this is how debate teams at colleges are.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 6:04:09 AM
At 7/24/2016 6:03:50 AM, bhakun wrote:

As in, the fast speaking and stuff.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 10:51:04 AM
At 7/23/2016 3:14:06 PM, YYW wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

Watch the video. This is what happens when you admit affirmative action cases to college.

Wow. This is really what our society is devolving into? Sad days ahead.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 12:02:30 AM
I don't know why I'm so amused by the video.

I can't stop laughing.

Is this satire?
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 12:57:57 AM

Watch the video. This is what happens when you admit affirmative action cases to college.

More whites take advantage of affirmative action more than minorities....

http://ideas.time.com...

/end thread
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 1:57:42 AM
At 7/28/2016 1:01:24 AM, Hiu wrote:
More evidence that affirmative action benefits whites more than anyone else

http://hlrecord.org...

ok now /end thread

I think I'm about to get messy here.

This article you reference goes beyond rampant speculation - into absurdity. For instance, a quota for girls is not a limitation for girls, and it is not proof that affirmative action helps males. The article that your referenced references, to make the case that women are being discriminated against as a consequence of affirmitive action, (http://voices.washingtonpost.com...) which shows three colleges of which only one shows a lower acceptance / applied ratio for girls - and yet entirely ignores the fact women make up 60% of those earning a bachelors degree.

The notion that the quota for blacks or latinos serves to ensure those groups are kept in the minority is insane, and the article provides no evidence towards that, but only wild speculation.

From the article:
"This suggests a paradox. If schools like Stuyvesant High, Berkeley, and Caltech were forced to adopt "diversity" policies similar to some Ivy League institutions, black enrollment would probably increase to only about 10 or 15 percent, "

Absolutely nothing preceding that statement would indicate a rise in black enrollment, which leads me to think the writer of the article is, indeed, insane.

So, this leads me to a couple of conclusions about you, Hiu. I'll do you one and present the most favorable conclusion.

You skimmed that article, which seemed to outline the real discrimination against asians that goes on in universities, and thought it applied to this topic (which it doesn't).
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:06:32 AM

I just watched the video. That was absolutely hilarious.

It's as if they all had a collective stroke.

The funny part was that fat gorilla saying "uhh uhh uhhh who even wrote this sh1t"
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:17:53 AM
At 7/24/2016 6:03:50 AM, bhakun wrote:

I didn't know that debate teams in colleges involved profanity and loud mouthed, obnoxious idiots that seem to be having a collective stroke.

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:54:09 AM
At 7/28/2016 2:06:32 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The funny part was that fat gorilla saying "uhh uhh uhhh who even wrote this sh1t"
Bet you COULDN'T spit like that - or project your voice - but during the interview with the reporter it's obvious that they CAN speak Standard American English impeccably.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:02:27 AM
At 7/28/2016 2:54:09 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Bet you COULDN'T spit like that - or project your voice - but during the interview with the reporter it's obvious that they CAN speak Standard American English impeccably.

No, I wasn't raised ghetto and I don't spout ideological bullcrap on a debate stage and act as if I'm having a seizure.

If they could speak well, then they should have.

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:26:06 AM
At 7/28/2016 1:57:42 AM, capob wrote:

ok now /end thread

This article you reference goes beyond rampant speculation - into absurdity. For instance, a quota for girls is not a limitation for girls, and it is not proof that affirmative action helps males. The article that your referenced references, to make the case that women are being discriminated against as a consequence of affirmitive action, (http://voices.washingtonpost.com...) which shows three colleges of which only one shows a lower acceptance / applied ratio for girls - and yet entirely ignores the fact women make up 60% of those earning a bachelors degree.

The notion that the quota for blacks or latinos serves to ensure those groups are kept in the minority is insane, and the article provides no evidence towards that, but only wild speculation.

From the article:
"This suggests a paradox. If schools like Stuyvesant High, Berkeley, and Caltech were forced to adopt "diversity" policies similar to some Ivy League institutions, black enrollment would probably increase to only about 10 or 15 percent, "

Absolutely nothing preceding that statement would indicate a rise in black enrollment, which leads me to think the writer of the article is, indeed, insane.

So, this leads me to a couple of conclusions about you, Hiu. I'll do you one and present the most favorable conclusion.

You skimmed that article, which seemed to outline the real discrimination against asians that goes on in universities, and thought it applied to this topic (which it doesn't).

I'll do one better for you...

1) I'm assuming you overlooked the other link written by a white woman who mentioned about how whites benefiting from AA.

2) Read the other article

3) Read the other article
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:28:03 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:02:27 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

No, I wasn't raised ghetto and I don't spout ideological bullcrap on a debate stage and act as if I'm having a seizure.

What does speak well mean?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:29:13 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:28:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Proper usage of grammar, intonation, etc.

capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:47:29 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:26:06 AM, Hiu wrote:
At 7/28/2016 1:57:42 AM, capob wrote:

ok now /end thread

From the article:

I'll do one better for you...

1) I'm assuming you overlooked the other link written by a white woman who mentioned about how whites benefiting from AA.

2) Read the other article

3) Read the other article

Alright, I guess my favorable conclusion of you was incorrect. And, that leads to my alternative conclusion: you are insane.

I did read the other article, and the key part of it was:

While people of color, individually and as groups, have been helped by affirmative action in the subsequent years, data and studies suggest women " white women in particular " have benefited disproportionately.

And, this did not have any bearing the the topic, which was about a few, apparently low-iq, black women winning a debate competition.

So, we are in the situation that you could not defend your second article, and your first article has no relevance.

Consequently, please do not talk to me any more, post replies to my topics, or otherwise try to communicate with me.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:48:30 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:29:13 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Speaking "well" means conveying a message.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:51:19 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:48:30 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Conveying a message is just that. Speaking well means you use proper grammar, as a very broad statement.

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:53:20 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:51:19 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Conveying a message is just that. Speaking well means you use proper grammar, as a very broad statement.

https://www.google.com...
speech
spēCH/Submit
noun
the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.
"he was born deaf and without the power of speech"
synonyms:speaking, talking, verbal expression, verbal communication
"he doesn't have the power of speech"
a formal address or discourse delivered to an audience.
"the headmistress made a speech about how much they would miss her"
synonyms:talk, address, lecture, discourse, oration, disquisition, peroration, deliverance, presentation
notice the first definition is FIRST
Jry2001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 3:25:57 AM
At 7/28/2016 3:51:19 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

What "proper grammar" even means is debatable. Due to linguistic descriptivism, AAVE, or African American Vernacular English, is accepted as a legitimate branch of English, and rightfully so; AAVE is internally consistent in terms of grammatical rules. Thus, by some standards, it wasn't improper for the debate team to use AAVE.

Then again, you wouldn't use French to win an English debate, so likewise it would have been improper if the debate was supposed to be done in General American.