Total Posts:64|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Society's Drug Problem

charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 3:26:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sometimes, out of the mouths of druggies and addicts, comes not just BS but, rather, poignant existential truths about the human condition. Recently, while channel surfing on that electronic narcotic called television, I stopped on a program for a few minutes to listen to a drug-addicted young person attempt to analyze his plight and heard a profoundly screwed-up but articulate doper actually touch upon a deep reality of many people's lives today. His observation about himself, which applies to many using as well as clean & somber citizens of our 21st century society, was that the ultimate reason he keeps lapsing back into the abyss of addiction is simply that his life is utterly devoid of a sense of passion and purpose.

Far from being in denial, like so many of his fellow dope fiends, drunkards, and the masses of self-medicating modern humanity who suffer from the same pathetic existential emptiness, at least this introspective junkie has the self-awareness to realize that something humanistically and inwardly important is missing from the picture of his life. It's consciously dawned upon him that he lacks a focus on any higher values or interests, that he finds little in his life to get naturally buzzed on, and that by default he really has nothing else to pass the time and palliate the pangs of his "inner void" other than altering his brain chemistry with his poison of choice.

Alas, the same holds true for a great many chemically-dependent people in our impoverished-of-meaning society. The radical and terrible truth is that the existence that awaits them when they kick booze or drugs is an inauthentic, dehumanized, unsatisfying excuse for a life. A daily grind to earn one's daily bread that leads to no sense of the joy, beauty, and potential of life. A socio-economic vicious circle that objectifies everyone into a cog in the economy and a commodity. A rat race with nothing but a disillusioning spiritual letdown at the finishing line where one finds him/herself asking the perennial life-question, "Is that all there is?"

What I'm saying, to be perfectly blunt, is that our secularistic, unidealistic, carnal-minded civilization has an endemic and rampant drug and alcohol problem because the way of being in the world that it programs us for is quite simply not that appealing an alternative to being chronically wasted! So, many of us are seeking an escape, whether it's through stupefying and stimulating substances or sex or some single-minded obsession, because the rueful reality of our lives is indeed something to escape from.

Human beings crave to know and bring forth the depth of their own nature and of life, they can't really be happy unless they're doing so. But our modern materialistic ethos indoctrinates us to be shallow consumers, it endorses the spiritual big lie that we can live in a flourishing fashion by superficial stuff, by iPhones, and SUVs, and widescreen TVs alone. That is, we're geared by our capitalist culture to be Homo economicus rather than well-rounded, depth-cultivating human beings, to be dutiful worker drones and covetous consumers who expend all their inner and outer resources keeping the economy humming along.

But although the machine of the economy may keep humming along, with an occasional recession, devoting ourselves as individuals and as a society to materialism doesn't exactly make our human hearts sing. When our lives are reduced to striving for job success and to making the mortgage payment to stave off eviction for another month the only song that our hearts tend to sing, at the end of the day, is a dirge. Well, is it any wonder that many of us opt, via drugs and drink, to turn on and drop out of such a spiritually starved experience of life?

Life is not just economic survival, life is growth. When a society forgets this, when it brings its members up to believe that affluence = contentment, when it teaches no real wisdom about how to discover and develop life's latent values and joy, of course it's going to find itself with a rank and file population of dissatisfied and dysfunctional folks, many of whom will follow their social training and seek solace in consumption, the consumption of mood enhancing chemicals. The mood enhancement and fleeting escape provided by drugs becomes the better-than-nothing substitute for spiritual self-actualization and liberation.

Sorry to say, this is precisely what's happened to our morally crumbling civilization, it's chosen the materialistic path of economic and technological grandeur over the humbler spiritual path of ethical and interior growth. The price to be paid is paid in spiritual stagnancy, in human dysfunction and misery, in social anomie and grief, in the protracted, whimpering decline of the West. Alcoholics and drug addicts are merely the spiritual canaries in the coal mine of society, so to speak. They're a forewarning microcosm of our collective malady, the most acute cases of the soul sickness that ails our entire body politic.

And just as whole families must often emerge from denial and enter into rehab to help the addict in their midst with his recovery, so too must our society own up to its collective and underlying responsibility for the presence of such a large number of drug-dependent people within it, and so to must society undertake its own recovery process. Of course society and its leaders can remain in denial up on their political high horse waging war on drugs, but how well is that really working for us?

The rub, however, is that the recovery process that society needs to undergo will entail a profound transvaluation of its core values, i.e. taking the sort of hard look at what we're really all about as a society that threatens the status quo. What this of course means is that if left to their druthers the powers that be, who have a vested selfish interest in maintaining the status quo, would much prefer to just keep us all safely in denial. Which means that getting society's recovery going is going to take a grassroots movement, it's not going to be a top down sort of process of change. We the people need to come to the realization that our neighbors, our brothers and sisters in the vice grip of addiction are not stand-alone losers whom we can write off to the criminal justice system, that their existence is symptomatic of pressing socio-spiritual issues that we all need to address.

This does not mean that we need, as a society, to monolithically embrace one spiritual path or religion. There are evangelicals, for example, who would urge us to do so, but then their conviction comes from an exclusivistic place to begin with, all of their thinking starts from the chauvinistic premise that their own form of Christian faith is the only authentic spirituality. Society most certainly does not need to dissolve the separation of church and state and to officially impose one creed on the spiritual diversity of the nation, but society does need to begin to recognize man's transcendental sensibilities and need for sacramental supports, and the tragic inadequacy of materialistic values.

The conclusion is located directly below
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 3:28:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Conclusion

Spirituality should not be equated with dogmatic religiosity, the suggestion that society needs a more spiritual outlook on life should not send chills down people's spines. Our society already takes a distinct perspective on spirituality, a distinctly negative one, I'm merely advocating that it take a somewhat more favorable perspective on the spiritual facet of man's journey.

Man intuitively reckons that the bottommost nature of reality is transcendence, i.e. that reality is its boundless possibilities and values eternally, creatively and purposefully blending together and blossoming into all the goodness and glory of the universe, a never-ending process of the bodying forth of wonder. The essence of spirituality is just this intuitive receptiveness to the intrinsic mystique of existence. No, one needn't believe in any supernatural or spooky bunk to be spiritual, cultivating a feeling for the natural sacredness, sublimity, and sentience of Creation is all that's involved.

Reintroducing spirituality back into our society then just means rediscovering our ability to perceive and appreciate the numinous qualities and worshipful majesty of the world around and within us, not signing on to any rigid and repressive set of dogmas. And if our staunchly secular society can do this, if it can see its way to semiofficially saying amen to life's spiritual depths, perhaps then it can begin to offer people a life worth staying unpolluted by dangerous substances for. Sure, human beings will always innately desire to alter their consciousness in pleasurable ways, but when a society has a spiritual tradition that makes the unio mystica, moksha, and satori available, when life becomes the best drug, the best entheogen, who needs to swill booze, or smoke, snort, or shoot up dope?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
wamba
Posts: 688
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:06:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 3:26:37 PM, charleslb wrote:
The conclusion is located directly below

My post is too large with the current character limit.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:11:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't bother reading posts even half that long, so I'm definitely not going to read that.

Learn how to summarize.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.

Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:44:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
Yes, and that's a problem.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 4:51:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.

We need to start a DDO Dexter fan club or something.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 5:12:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 4:51:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.

We need to start a DDO Dexter fan club or something.

That'd be cool. I wonder if this site should have "groups" like on facebook. Anyone want to suggest this to Juggle?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 5:35:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 5:12:29 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:51:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.

We need to start a DDO Dexter fan club or something.

That'd be cool. I wonder if this site should have "groups" like on facebook. Anyone want to suggest this to Juggle?

Haha. Two years ago, when this site came out of v2.0, "Groups" was a planned feature... it never took off though, mostly because of the laziness of WebCorp but also because it was a time of rampant vote bombing. (We didn't have transparent voting back then.) So, the only fear I have with official groups is that they might promote division in an already pretty feisty little community. Haha. >_>

Having people to discuss Dexter with would be cool, though. :)
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 8:54:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 5:35:56 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 12/31/2010 5:12:29 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:51:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:02:59 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 12/31/2010 3:37:09 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Two questions charles:

1) have you ever tried drugs or alcohol?

2) are you happy with your life?

No and yes, and I like Dexter too.

We need to start a DDO Dexter fan club or something.

That'd be cool. I wonder if this site should have "groups" like on facebook. Anyone want to suggest this to Juggle?

Haha. Two years ago, when this site came out of v2.0, "Groups" was a planned feature... it never took off though, mostly because of the laziness of WebCorp but also because it was a time of rampant vote bombing. (We didn't have transparent voting back then.) So, the only fear I have with official groups is that they might promote division in an already pretty feisty little community. Haha. >_>

Having people to discuss Dexter with would be cool, though. :)

What'd you think about the most recent season?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 1:14:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm probably still drunk but I feel like responding to this right now. I feel like what you're getting at in the beginning is similar to absurdism?

"...one needn't believe in any supernatural or spooky bunk to be spiritual..."

Agreed.

There are so many things that I can't explain, but they simply work for me. I think what people need to do is, rather than dismiss the irrational, embrace what works for them.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 1:47:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/31/2010 4:44:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
Yes, and that's a problem.

It's not a problem -- it's a solution. loljk

Alcohol can become a problem. But that's completely up to the person who is drinking.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 1:56:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 1:47:13 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:44:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
Yes, and that's a problem.

It's not a problem -- it's a solution. loljk

Alcohol can become a problem. But that's completely up to the person who is drinking.

lol I'm still on the fact that he thinks hugging is catastrophic! I can't imagine what he thinks of the fact that I drank tonight (it's the only way I'll dance in public) haha
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 1:58:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 1:56:56 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 1/1/2011 1:47:13 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:44:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
Yes, and that's a problem.

It's not a problem -- it's a solution. loljk

Alcohol can become a problem. But that's completely up to the person who is drinking.

lol I'm still on the fact that he thinks hugging is catastrophic! I can't imagine what he thinks of the fact that I drank tonight (it's the only way I'll dance in public) haha

Pfft, plus -- you show your ankles. Eewww.... loljk :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 2:08:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 1:56:56 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 1/1/2011 1:47:13 AM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:44:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/31/2010 4:31:46 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Nice we finally have something in common. Don't you think it's possible that someone who is completely happy with his or her life might choose to drink alcohol?
Yes, and that's a problem.

It's not a problem -- it's a solution. loljk

Alcohol can become a problem. But that's completely up to the person who is drinking.

lol I'm still on the fact that he thinks hugging is catastrophic! I can't imagine what he thinks of the fact that I drank tonight (it's the only way I'll dance in public) haha

Omg you dance? That is a huge issue in modern society! Dancing leads to fornication, which leads to adultery and rape! Its such a shameful concept!
STONE DANCERS TO DEATH!!!!

But seriously, INH told me that mirza said that adoption is bad or something. (I don't remember that at all, so doe anyone else? A little context? I find it hard to believe, but not so much when I think about his response to friendly hugging.)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 2:18:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 2:11:49 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
(Mirza, I do love you.)

such pre-mature, flippant, proclomations can drive a young man to have unclean (and Dangerous) thoughts!

SHAME ON YOU working your wiles to corrupt an upstanding youg man's thoughts away from the true path!!
No wonder so many girls get raped in your country!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 2:22:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 2:18:53 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 1/1/2011 2:11:49 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
(Mirza, I do love you.)

such pre-mature, flippant, proclomations can drive a young man to have unclean (and Dangerous) thoughts!

SHAME ON YOU working your wiles to corrupt an upstanding youg man's thoughts away from the true path!!
No wonder so many girls get raped in your country!

LMFAO *dead*
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 2:31:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
alcohol shot - everytime charlesb makes a strawman argument
smoke a joint of marijuna - everytime an ad homenium argument is made
swallow a pill of ecstasy -everytime charlesb makes an overgeneralization
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 4:53:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Read a book. You literally have no idea how drugs work. You're the kind of person who murders Heroin addicts by denying them proper medical care because of a delusional world view.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 5:19:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 4:53:54 PM, Sam_Lowry wrote:
Read a book. You literally have no idea how drugs work. You're the kind of person who murders Heroin addicts by denying them proper medical care because of a delusional world view.

Wrong, I'm very much in favor of society treating drug addicts with compassion, i.e. of providing them with free rehab rather than incarcerating them in prisons like "bad guys". There's nothing at all about my thinking on drug addiction that would incline me to be moralistic and punitive if I were in control of our society's drug policy.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 5:21:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/1/2011 2:31:40 AM, darkkermit wrote:
alcohol shot - everytime charlesb makes a strawman argument
smoke a joint of marijuna - everytime an ad homenium argument is made
swallow a pill of ecstasy -everytime charlesb makes an overgeneralization

The charlesb drinking game? I would be fairly easy to make one. Hahaha.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2011 6:50:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/25/2011 5:19:46 PM, charleslb wrote:
Wrong, I'm very much in favor of society treating drug addicts with compassion, i.e. of providing them with free rehab rather than incarcerating them in prisons like "bad guys". There's nothing at all about my thinking on drug addiction that would incline me to be moralistic and punitive if I were in control of our society's drug policy.

No, you do not understand how drugs work, but you think you do. As a result of this, you're worldview is so skewed that you think you are suggesting good policies which in reality have been tried and failed miserably. Rehab is not enough for some people, and the ideology that drug addiction is caused by some external factor results in more pain, suffering, and death than necessary.
SusanBrei
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:34:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
People who take drugs (including alcohol) do not cease to be people. Of course they'll have something interesting to say every once in awhile!

I really don't understand why drugs aren't legal and regulated. We'd solve so many problems at once (pouring money into drug cartels, funding gang activity/violence, NOT being able to TAX the substances). It would completely take away the sexiness factor, and the people who still insisted on taking them would be breaking into far fewer houses to fund their next fix.

I hate the War on Drugs. I wish we'd destigmatize drugs and drug users, just like we did with alcohol and cigarettes.
Sam_Lowry
Posts: 367
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 3:24:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/26/2011 12:34:01 AM, SusanBrei wrote:
People who take drugs (including alcohol) do not cease to be people. Of course they'll have something interesting to say every once in awhile!

I really don't understand why drugs aren't legal and regulated. We'd solve so many problems at once (pouring money into drug cartels, funding gang activity/violence, NOT being able to TAX the substances). It would completely take away the sexiness factor, and the people who still insisted on taking them would be breaking into far fewer houses to fund their next fix.

I hate the War on Drugs. I wish we'd destigmatize drugs and drug users, just like we did with alcohol and cigarettes.

The people who least need to be dissuaded from drugs the least are the casual, situational, and experimental users who make up the majority of the drug taking population. These people only rarely do themselves much lasting harm, and the harm they end up doing is almost always a result of draconian policies such as HIV transmission due to needle scarcity, polydrug use due to misinformation and scarcity, impure drugs, and unhealthy additives. The people who need the most medical care and attention are the problem users and addicts. Guess which group is least likely to be influenced by paramilitary policies and supply reduction? Guess which group suffers the most due to lack of available treatment, social stigma and economic factors?

Switzerland has a program where they literally sell Heroin addicts as much Heroin as they want, but they have been more successful at improving quality of life, mortality rates, social costs, reduction of disease, and other social problems associated with drug use than any of our supply side reduction programs (most likely all of them combined). That is how bad the War on Drugs is.