Jump to topic:

Television

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 6:01:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Have any of you done anything to remove television from your lives. If so, how did it go?

We recently got rid of cable which pretty much means we never watch TV any more. We recently had our first child. We feel TV likely contributes to a shortened attention span, decreases time that would be spent reading, and isn't very edifying. I remember reading a while ago in Scientific American that it causes you to be mentally passive as well. Also, the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly warns against exposing children under 2 years of age to television because it "wires" their brains for shorter attention spans. This is because, to an infant, television appears to be telling one story after the next in rapid succession since their memories are underdeveloped.

Anyway, the funny thing is I still watch a lot of TV. I get a lot of it through the web (Hulu, Comedy Central, etc...). On the whole though I end up watching a lot less and am probably more productive.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 6:06:23 PM
It changes nothing, I rarely watch T.V. and when I do t is only for 30 minutes . . .
I spend most of the time riding my bike hitting winos and crack heads with my baseball bat . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 6:08:51 PM
At 12/31/2010 6:01:12 PM, vbaculum wrote:
Have any of you done anything to remove television from your lives. If so, how did it go?:

I watched no television for over three years. It wasn't terrible, but as a substitute we rented movies (especially for the sake of the kids). And even then we watched only 1 or 2 movies a week.

Did I find it edifying? Eh, I don't really watch that much television as it is.

Also, the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly warns against exposing children under 2 years of age to television because it "wires" their brains for shorter attention spans.:

I wouldn't discount it, as there seems to be a marked increase in attention span problems. Then again, television has been around now for over 50 years, and the atrocious attention span seems to be a relatively new phenomenon, which means other factors may not be taken in to consideration.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)