Jump to topic:

Work Harder or Work SMARTER?

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 1:49:35 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
This OP is posted in the society forum since so many people complain that people who are from the kind of community that I spent most of my life in, don't possess a strong work ethic. I wanna set the record straight!

I'm gonna share a little of my work history and current situation to explain where I'm coming from. I'd appreciate an honest response from anyone who may know why I continuously develop conflict with co-workers, in the community I now reside in, usually within 6 months of working in a place.

I've worked mostly in the service industry; starting in Milwaukee with waiting tables, to bartending, to residential cleaning, to real estate cleaning and painting, then when I moved to a rural mostly white community, back to waiting tables, to auto detailing, dishwashing, to currenting mowing lawns for a landscaping company. I like service industry jobs and I take pride in providing good service and doing the best job that I'm capable of doing.

I'm energetic, and because I've never been out of shape and have always taken good care of my health, I am very productive. I've also developed the most efficient way for completing a variety of tasks, which even increases my productivity since I never strain while working. I got my work ethic from the community that I am from, and work rhythmically and thoughtfully.

The problem usually begins the first week I am hired. I am immediately underestimated, especially in the auto detailer, dishwasher, and lawn service jobs, because of my size, age, and gender. My co=workers give me looks, like she won't last a week, and always are saying,"wait until you have to do ......(some less pleaseant task the job entails)" I don't give it much thought, and when I end up doing a less pleasant task, I figure out a very efficient way of doing the task - like carrying the clean dishes to the dining room of pantry on a dish rack, rather than running around like a chicken with my head cut off making many trips, and feeling behind with the dishes stacking up. I never stress and work at a steady pace. I knew from the time cards I was faster than guys half my age, cuz of when they punched out on nights that weren't even as busy as the nights I worked. Anyway enough ranting about the dishwashing job.

After months of working and never whining about working no matter how busy it was, co-workers won't talk to me, and seem to try to make my job more difficult. Even the bosses seemed to have an attitude toward me.

Now the lawn care job, is giving me the same kinds BS, cuz I kick ass. Every few days one of the crew members calls in sick, and I am challenged to do more work. The thing is I've been mowing about 70% of the push mowers areas, since the first week, because the other push mower would always say, "let the weed whacker get that," and i'd be silently like,"no, they have the most difficult job, if I can reach it with the push mower I'm gonna mow it." So when the other push mower misses work, I can mow everything, just by picking up my pace slightly. I like the challenge. Then when the other push mower comes to work, he acts like I must of had a really hard day without him, but truthfully, I enjoyed the challenge.

Eventually I get tired of not fitting in, and look for another menial job. I suspect many other people "like me" change jobs often for similar reasons.

Enough ranting - the point of the OP is why people who brag about how "hard" they work, don't simply find more efficient ways of working, and become even more productive?
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:14:32 AM
At 8/8/2016 1:49:35 AM, Emmarie wrote:
This OP is posted in the society forum since so many people complain that people who are from the kind of community that I spent most of my life in, don't possess a strong work ethic. I wanna set the record straight!

I'm gonna share a little of my work history and current situation to explain where I'm coming from. I'd appreciate an honest response from anyone who may know why I continuously develop conflict with co-workers, in the community I now reside in, usually within 6 months of working in a place.

I've worked mostly in the service industry; starting in Milwaukee with waiting tables, to bartending, to residential cleaning, to real estate cleaning and painting, then when I moved to a rural mostly white community, back to waiting tables, to auto detailing, dishwashing, to currenting mowing lawns for a landscaping company. I like service industry jobs and I take pride in providing good service and doing the best job that I'm capable of doing.

I'm energetic, and because I've never been out of shape and have always taken good care of my health, I am very productive. I've also developed the most efficient way for completing a variety of tasks, which even increases my productivity since I never strain while working. I got my work ethic from the community that I am from, and work rhythmically and thoughtfully.

The problem usually begins the first week I am hired. I am immediately underestimated, especially in the auto detailer, dishwasher, and lawn service jobs, because of my size, age, and gender. My co=workers give me looks, like she won't last a week, and always are saying,"wait until you have to do ......(some less pleaseant task the job entails)" I don't give it much thought, and when I end up doing a less pleasant task, I figure out a very efficient way of doing the task - like carrying the clean dishes to the dining room of pantry on a dish rack, rather than running around like a chicken with my head cut off making many trips, and feeling behind with the dishes stacking up. I never stress and work at a steady pace. I knew from the time cards I was faster than guys half my age, cuz of when they punched out on nights that weren't even as busy as the nights I worked. Anyway enough ranting about the dishwashing job.

After months of working and never whining about working no matter how busy it was, co-workers won't talk to me, and seem to try to make my job more difficult. Even the bosses seemed to have an attitude toward me.

Now the lawn care job, is giving me the same kinds BS, cuz I kick ass. Every few days one of the crew members calls in sick, and I am challenged to do more work. The thing is I've been mowing about 70% of the push mowers areas, since the first week, because the other push mower would always say, "let the weed whacker get that," and i'd be silently like,"no, they have the most difficult job, if I can reach it with the push mower I'm gonna mow it." So when the other push mower misses work, I can mow everything, just by picking up my pace slightly. I like the challenge. Then when the other push mower comes to work, he acts like I must of had a really hard day without him, but truthfully, I enjoyed the challenge.

Eventually I get tired of not fitting in, and look for another menial job. I suspect many other people "like me" change jobs often for similar reasons.

Enough ranting - the point of the OP is why people who brag about how "hard" they work, don't simply find more efficient ways of working, and become even more productive?

Have you ever wondered if you were the problem?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:16:50 AM

Arbeit macht frei.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:46:49 AM
At 8/8/2016 2:14:32 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Why for being confident. I share all my "methods" with co-workers and encourage them not to work so hard when the job can actually be done faster with more efficient methods. I know I'm the problem, because I refuse to stress and strain and look all stupid hunching and puffing and racing, so I can stand around and complain about how hard I work for 10 minutes each hour. I will never join them in their "work ethic" when my methods are more productive, and I only need like a 10 minute break like every 4 hours!
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:47:30 AM
At 8/8/2016 2:16:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Arbeit macht frei.
Are you a Nazi?
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 3:32:42 AM
At 8/8/2016 2:46:49 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Why for being confident. I share all my "methods" with co-workers and encourage them not to work so hard when the job can actually be done faster with more efficient methods. I know I'm the problem, because I refuse to stress and strain and look all stupid hunching and puffing and racing, so I can stand around and complain about how hard I work for 10 minutes each hour. I will never join them in their "work ethic" when my methods are more productive, and I only need like a 10 minute break like every 4 hours!

Have you ever thought that maybe they don't want your tips? I mean, you sound like you yourself boast. The way you state that as if you're so much better than everyone else. Guess what, nobody likes a self righteous prick. They're annoying, so maybe that's why you and everybody else like you don't fit in.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 3:59:12 AM
At 8/8/2016 3:32:42 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Have you ever thought that maybe they don't want your tips? I mean, you sound like you yourself boast. The way you state that as if you're so much better than everyone else. Guess what, nobody likes a self righteous prick. They're annoying, so maybe that's why you and everybody else like you don't fit in.

You mean no one likes someone who is confident in their methods and abilities, right? BTW, it's impossible for me to be a "prick" I don't have the apparatus necessary to be called one. It is a condescending term for a male who has a small private part and overcompensates, by trying to make others miserable.

My work style shouldn't make anyone else miserable, in fact, they are just mad that I won't join them in their misery. If a job's "sucks" I'm not gonna waste my time hating doing the tasks that I'm required to do, I'm gonna THINK of a way to do those tasks more efficiently and Challenge myself to MAKE them more enjoyable. If people hate me for it - that's their problem. I never wish anyone else failure. They fail themselves.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:00:31 AM
I have no idea what that Panda person is talking about. You don't sound like a prick at all. In fact, she kind of does.

Anyway. Working smarter and not harder is a great skill. Efficiency = productivity = being good at your job. It's a sign of intelligence when you can figure out a better way of doing something. I think that while you might be underestimated at first, if you keep working smarter, your actions will speak volumes and people will see that you are not only capable at doing the job but have a lot more to offer than meets the eye.

As for switching jobs, I too have a problem staying in one place for long (I'm working on it). I'm pretty ambitious and find myself looking for new and better opportunities quite a bit. I'm worried that it'll make me look like a serial job hopper on my resume, because I pretty much just see each role as a stepping stone in my career. On the other hand you sound invested in your work, even if you are not passionate about it. I think that's another great skill and you seem to possess these intangible skills that will help you in various roles.

One of the best ways to work smarter in Corporate America is to learn as much computer coding and software as possible, especially Excel.

And in the service industry, I find that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" seems true. Any time someone is really polite to me or goes out of their way to do a good job for me, I always tip them really well and/or make sure to mention it to their boss. You can have a decent career in the service industry if you work your way up to higher management. That could be the one drawback for you if you keep switching industries. Expertise and more efficiency also tends to come with time.
President of DDO
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:08:43 AM
At 8/8/2016 3:59:12 AM, Emmarie wrote:

You mean no one likes someone who is confident in their methods and abilities, right? BTW, it's impossible for me to be a "prick" I don't have the apparatus necessary to be called one. It is a condescending term for a male who has a small private part and overcompensates, by trying to make others miserable.

My work style shouldn't make anyone else miserable, in fact, they are just mad that I won't join them in their misery. If a job's "sucks" I'm not gonna waste my time hating doing the tasks that I'm required to do, I'm gonna THINK of a way to do those tasks more efficiently and Challenge myself to MAKE them more enjoyable. If people hate me for it - that's their problem. I never wish anyone else failure. They fail themselves.

Exactly, your work style shouldn't make anybody else miserable. But dropping tips on how others should improve makes other people miserable. You know the teachers pet who always does everything right and is always perfect? You know how annoying it can get when the teachers pet drops tips on how you should improve to be more like him/her? That's annoying. You may not realize that but it is. You're not helping anybody and all you're doing is making people hate you. You may be more efficient than them, but to lord that over them is annoying. Maybe that's why you have issues with fitting in.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:15:17 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:08:43 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Exactly, your work style shouldn't make anybody else miserable. But dropping tips on how others should improve makes other people miserable. You know the teachers pet who always does everything right and is always perfect? You know how annoying it can get when the teachers pet drops tips on how you should improve to be more like him/her? That's annoying. You may not realize that but it is. You're not helping anybody and all you're doing is making people hate you. You may be more efficient than them, but to lord that over them is annoying. Maybe that's why you have issues with fitting in.

ah... the weed whacker who is only 19 had swollen wrists and said he was getting carpel tunnel - so I gave him a hair claw from my braid to hold the safety so he didn't have pain of having to hold the safety and the throttle. When I give a pointer - it's to HELP someone from experiencing PAIN and injuring themselves. When we lift the mowers from the top rack of the trailer, I simply tell them which arm to balance the weight on, so that neither one of us throws our back out. I only give pointers to help people stay safe and make sure I'm not injured by carelessness.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:25:03 AM

Co workers always take me wrong. My intention is to show them how to make a tedious job tolerable. I'm like if I'm a 46 year old woman who is 5'3' 115 lbs. and I can do the job, they CAN DO IT EVEN BETTER, it they'd not stress it and think, rather than being hasty. Then the company would profit, and the workers wouldn't have pain.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:29:42 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:15:17 AM, Emmarie wrote:

ah... the weed whacker who is only 19 had swollen wrists and said he was getting carpel tunnel - so I gave him a hair claw from my braid to hold the safety so he didn't have pain of having to hold the safety and the throttle. When I give a pointer - it's to HELP someone from experiencing PAIN and injuring themselves. When we lift the mowers from the top rack of the trailer, I simply tell them which arm to balance the weight on, so that neither one of us throws our back out. I only give pointers to help people stay safe and make sure I'm not injured by carelessness.

Those are things that everybody does normally. Everybody helps others lift up stuff and usually we talk to eachother when we do that to let them know how not to break their backs. What you're doing is nothing special. But from what you said before, it sounded like you were like a teachers let who was constantly dropping annoying hints on how other should improve. If you're not doing that, great. Then you're not annoying people. Your fitting in problem probably has to do with the fact that you're in lawn care or something like that and most lawn care fields have mostly college/university boys and occasionally girls working on it for a part time job. They're not going to connect with a single mom of two kids. How about you volunteer, you'll probably find people more relatable than frat boys.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:48:29 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:29:42 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Those are things that everybody does normally. Everybody helps others lift up stuff and usually we talk to eachother when we do that to let them know how not to break their backs. What you're doing is nothing special. But from what you said before, it sounded like you were like a teachers let who was constantly dropping annoying hints on how other should improve. If you're not doing that, great. Then you're not annoying people. Your fitting in problem probably has to do with the fact that you're in lawn care or something like that and most lawn care fields have mostly college/university boys and occasionally girls working on it for a part time job. They're not going to connect with a single mom of two kids. How about you volunteer, you'll probably find people more relatable than frat boys.

I wanted a job with people my sons age - to stay young at heart and physically in shape, and cuz I really don't click with women my age. I got on a kick to prove myself, because of the way they looked at me like I was bound to fail to begin with. The problem is everytime I think we have a crew who works well together, someone quits and when they hire someone new I have to keep on proving myself. Then when I do prove myself, maybe they feel weak or something cuz a woman can do the job without tiring so they start missing work, eventually quit or get fired. I've worked my whole life on stamina, and I'd like to be an inspiration to younger people that getting "old" doesn't have to suck.

I have all I can do working full time, laundry, cooking, house work, and the time I spend here, no time to volunteer. I need a job that pays, I have bills.

I never had this kind of problem in the community I am from. The place I moved to is weird when it comes to work. It's like they brag about how much they hate it but do it anyhow - lol. They only respect "hard" work, even if your can complete the same tasks faster and more efficiently. If you don't go home in pain you haven't worked is kinda the mentality.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:58:35 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:48:29 AM, Emmarie wrote:

I wanted a job with people my sons age - to stay young at heart and physically in shape, and cuz I really don't click with women my age. I got on a kick to prove myself, because of the way they looked at me like I was bound to fail to begin with. The problem is everytime I think we have a crew who works well together, someone quits and when they hire someone new I have to keep on proving myself. Then when I do prove myself, maybe they feel weak or something cuz a woman can do the job without tiring so they start missing work, eventually quit or get fired. I've worked my whole life on stamina, and I'd like to be an inspiration to younger people that getting "old" doesn't have to suck.

I have all I can do working full time, laundry, cooking, house work, and the time I spend here, no time to volunteer. I need a job that pays, I have bills.

I never had this kind of problem in the community I am from. The place I moved to is weird when it comes to work. It's like they brag about how much they hate it but do it anyhow - lol. They only respect "hard" work, even if your can complete the same tasks faster and more efficiently. If you don't go home in pain you haven't worked is kinda the mentality.

Sooner or later lady, you're going to realize that people your sons ages don't want to work with you. You're a liability to them and you're not like them so they won't want to get to know you. Why do you always have to feel like you have to prove yourself? If you've watched Zootopia, spoiler alert, it send out the stupidest moral ever. That "you can change the view of others by working hard". Sure you can do that and you can waste your whole entire life trying to prove yourself to others, or you can sit back and relax as others do the work becuase they don't actually think you can do much. Then you get paid for doing little to no work and nobody's going to like you, but its not like they liked you before. There's no point in trying to change others opinions about you becuase most of the time, their opinions about you are fixed.
As for complaining about jobs, that's how they talk about their jobs. Supposedly whoever has the "worst" job is supposedly cool and its also supposedly "cool" to complain that your job sucks. This is the modern world lady, you don't fit in with people that young and you probably never will. If you don't like it, then deal with it. Becuase the modern world isn't going to change itself just I prove itself to you.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:14:20 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:00:31 AM, Danielle wrote:
I have no idea what that Panda person is talking about. You don't sound like a prick at all. In fact, she kind of does.

Yep.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 5:18:18 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:58:35 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Sooner or later lady, you're going to realize that people your sons ages don't want to work with you. You're a liability to them and you're not like them so they won't want to get to know you. Why do you always have to feel like you have to prove yourself? If you've watched Zootopia, spoiler alert, it send out the stupidest moral ever. That "you can change the view of others by working hard". Sure you can do that and you can waste your whole entire life trying to prove yourself to others, or you can sit back and relax as others do the work becuase they don't actually think you can do much. Then you get paid for doing little to no work and nobody's going to like you, but its not like they liked you before. There's no point in trying to change others opinions about you becuase most of the time, their opinions about you are fixed.
As for complaining about jobs, that's how they talk about their jobs. Supposedly whoever has the "worst" job is supposedly cool and its also supposedly "cool" to complain that your job sucks. This is the modern world lady, you don't fit in with people that young and you probably never will. If you don't like it, then deal with it. Becuase the modern world isn't going to change itself just I prove itself to you.

I never heard such stupid reasoning in my life. That's the last thing I'm gonna do - is let myself get old by NOT working to the best of my ability, which is rhythmic, repetitive, and EFFICIENT, WHILE OTHERS WORK HARD AND BRAG ABOUT IT, while they destroy their joints. i'm gonna continue proving myself, that I not only can keep up - but I'm the pace setter! I'd rather be a misfit with young punks, than listen to women tell everybody everytime they have a frickin hot flash, and expect me to relate. I've been through the "change" and it's private, I'm not joining the we're getting old club, I have too much to live for.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 6:21:42 AM
At 8/8/2016 2:47:30 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 8/8/2016 2:16:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Arbeit macht frei.
Are you a Nazi?

Are you a communist? Because only a communist would ask that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 1:57:47 PM
At 8/8/2016 5:18:18 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 8/8/2016 4:58:35 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I never heard such stupid reasoning in my life. That's the last thing I'm gonna do - is let myself get old by NOT working to the best of my ability, which is rhythmic, repetitive, and EFFICIENT, WHILE OTHERS WORK HARD AND BRAG ABOUT IT, while they destroy their joints. i'm gonna continue proving myself, that I not only can keep up - but I'm the pace setter! I'd rather be a misfit with young punks, than listen to women tell everybody everytime they have a frickin hot flash, and expect me to relate. I've been through the "change" and it's private, I'm not joining the we're getting old club, I have too much to live for.

Stupid reasoning? I think its completely logical that you're not going to fit in with a bunch of frat boys. They don't do the same things as you. Unless you like to watch football, play sports and go to the pub occasionally. You seem to have this misconception that old people are boring. That's the thing about being old, you can't do what you once did when you were young. Maybe if you actually tried to get to know people of your own age without feeling stuck up about it, they would like you better. When you're too old to do lawn care, then what? You're going to be pretty lonely without any friends your own age.