Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sexism in 2016

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.
President of DDO
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 5:19:48 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

Thank heavens I've never experienced sexism but I think sexism is pretty retarded!

There are about 7 BILLION people on Earth so I think it's stupid for people and society itself to stereotype/generalize all men and all women because everyone is their own individual if you know what I mean. We really shouldn't even be forcing all men to be the same or all women to be the same and we call ourselves "civilized."

The Olympics isn't really my thing but the fact that there's sexism in the olympics disappoints me. The Olympics is supposed to represent unity and equality, not bias and inequality. After all, over 90 countries participate in the Olympics and all of those countries have different people so why can't we just accept other people's differences?

I agree with you that society needs to grow up. It's 2016, not the 1950s!

We should be moving FORWARD, not BACKWARDS!

I'm not going to lie. All of this hateful misandry and misogyny makes me feel disappointed and kind of suicidal. How on earth will we ever move forward if society continues to enforce its sexist BS on everyone?

Oh and Danielle, you talk about wanting to stop sexism but you said something sexist in the very last paragraph of your OP and that was "men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to bring up disparaging sexism." This is sexist because not all men get hostile or defensive when talking about sexism.

Please. Next time, try to open up your brain a little bit more and not be so prejudiced or ignorant.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 5:33:50 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.

So basically what you're saying is that gay men have more privileges than straight men? Because I feel like you're insinuating that by only mentioning straight men.
HeavenlyPanda
Posts: 819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 6:19:32 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

Why are you looking for personal anecdotes?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 6:45:54 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Honesrly, I have a very hard time coming up with instances where I was discriminated against as a man. Whereas if I ask any female friemd at random about them experiencing sexism for being a woman, I"m certain they would not have a difficult time bringing up examples.

Think that speaks volumes right there.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:00:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 5:19:48 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Oh and Danielle, you talk about wanting to stop sexism

No, I never once said that.

but you said something sexist in the very last paragraph of your OP and that was "men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to bring up disparaging sexism." This is sexist because not all men get hostile or defensive when talking about sexism.

Yes, that was a sexist comment. I have no qualms with sexism in and of itself and never said as much.

Please. Next time, try to open up your brain a little bit more and not be so prejudiced or ignorant.

...Thanks for the heads up...
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:04:12 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

I had to take a handful of WGS courses as part of my mandatory curriculum (long story) and certainly didn't appreciate all of it, though I did learn a bit. Did you take anything valuable away intellectually (aside from being presented with a presumably contrasting POV and people you disagree with?). As in, did you find any of the readings or lessons particularly helpful or informative?

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.

Hmm, I would imagine males dominate education in teaching things like math, history, science and anything tech related... and medicine and law lol. And probably political science. But I'm not sure about that. You're right about lower level education.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:05:58 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 6:19:32 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Why are you looking for personal anecdotes?

Why not? What should I be looking for?
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:16:02 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:04:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

I had to take a handful of WGS courses as part of my mandatory curriculum (long story) and certainly didn't appreciate all of it, though I did learn a bit. Did you take anything valuable away intellectually (aside from being presented with a presumably contrasting POV and people you disagree with?). As in, did you find any of the readings or lessons particularly helpful or informative?

Oh absolutely. If anything, I enjoyed putting myself through the extreme exercises in POV and effective analysis. The lessons went into depth about the complexity of all waves of feminism, and countless narratives to consider. The most insightful part of the entire course was the lesson that nothing is binary. Even black feminists were distinctly different from white feminists. This is a lesson I could apply to all my studies.

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.

Hmm, I would imagine males dominate education in teaching things like math, history, science and anything tech related... and medicine and law lol. And probably political science. But I'm not sure about that. You're right about lower level education.

Math is my worst subject, yet I always get placed in math jobs because my crappy level is still superior to the accepted norm....
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:23:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:16:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Oh absolutely. If anything, I enjoyed putting myself through the extreme exercises in POV and effective analysis. The lessons went into depth about the complexity of all waves of feminism, and countless narratives to consider.

Do you think there is anything useful about modern day feminism? Or rather, do you think there are any legitimate points that feminists have? Just curious.
President of DDO
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:34:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:23:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 7:16:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Oh absolutely. If anything, I enjoyed putting myself through the extreme exercises in POV and effective analysis. The lessons went into depth about the complexity of all waves of feminism, and countless narratives to consider.

Do you think there is anything useful about modern day feminism? Or rather, do you think there are any legitimate points that feminists have? Just curious.

I think the most important part about feminism is not understanding the differences between sexes; rather, understanding the similarities, such as having a purpose in life, wanting the freedom to achieve your purpose in life, having a function and a place in society you can feel proud about.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 7:44:15 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:34:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/9/2016 7:23:51 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 7:16:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Oh absolutely. If anything, I enjoyed putting myself through the extreme exercises in POV and effective analysis. The lessons went into depth about the complexity of all waves of feminism, and countless narratives to consider.

Do you think there is anything useful about modern day feminism? Or rather, do you think there are any legitimate points that feminists have? Just curious.

I think the most important part about feminism is not understanding the differences between sexes; rather, understanding the similarities, such as having a purpose in life, wanting the freedom to achieve your purpose in life, having a function and a place in society you can feel proud about.

Lol! You sound like a cliched advertisement.

Well, I think that all feminism does is attack men for not being women, oppress men, give men less and less freedom, cause a dysfunctional and damaged society, and turn society into a sexist hellhole.

In other words, feminism is cancer! F**k cancer!

And there is a high level of sexism against men, not just women. You can even type in male sexism and there will probably be even more results than if you typed in female sexism.

Sad world we live in.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 8:00:08 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 6:45:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Honesrly, I have a very hard time coming up with instances where I was discriminated against as a man. Whereas if I ask any female friemd at random about them experiencing sexism for being a woman, I"m certain they would not have a difficult time bringing up examples.

Think that speaks volumes right there.

Really? I disagree with you so much.

In fact, if you were to ask me what I think, I would say that there's even more sexism against men than there is against women because there is and it's all thanks to feminism or should I say oppressionism.

That doesn't speak volumes. That speaks your opinion and your experience. It doesn't speak of the whole entire world or the sh*thole we live in.

In fact, if you type in male sexism, you'd probably find more results than if you were to type in female sexism.

Such a sad, stupid hellhole we live in. I wish I could just climb out of this hellhole but I'm trapped with all the stupid sh*theads who only contribute to corruption and the downfall of modern society.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 8:04:26 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:44:15 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
And there is a high level of sexism against men, not just women. You can even type in male sexism and there will probably be even more results than if you typed in female sexism.

That's exactly what I said (that there is sexism against males too).

I've asked for people to give examples of personal sexism they've experienced.

What about you?
President of DDO
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 8:08:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 8:04:26 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 7:44:15 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
And there is a high level of sexism against men, not just women. You can even type in male sexism and there will probably be even more results than if you typed in female sexism.

That's exactly what I said (that there is sexism against males too).

I've asked for people to give examples of personal sexism they've experienced.

What about you?

Well, my dad always used to tell me to "man up," but THANKFULLY, he stopped telling me that and now my life is more peaceful.

I've also heard a lot of teachers say sexist things about men that aren't true.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could shut up and just accept everyone else's differences? Wouldn't it be nice if there was no sexism or racism or discrimination? If all lives could matter and not just women's lives or black lives or white lives?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just live in peace and a more equal society instead of living in a prejudiced hell hole?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 8:26:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 7:04:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

I had to take a handful of WGS courses as part of my mandatory curriculum (long story) and certainly didn't appreciate all of it, though I did learn a bit. Did you take anything valuable away intellectually (aside from being presented with a presumably contrasting POV and people you disagree with?). As in, did you find any of the readings or lessons particularly helpful or informative?

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.

Hmm, I would imagine males dominate education in teaching things like math, history, science and anything tech related... and medicine and law lol. And probably political science. But I'm not sure about that. You're right about lower level education.

Yeah, it's sad, but because I am multi disciplined and can teach in any area and any grade 1-12, I've found my best opportunities as a straight male to lie in math, primarily at the highschool level, and science as a fallback only because of the lack of competition. I really enjoy the arts, but I can't compete with the many women. I enjoyed being a fulltime high school substitute a few years ago where I could walk in one day and do pre-calculus problems on the board for the class and explain them, another day run through some quick free body physics worksheets, and then spend the next day breaking down Shakespeare. :)
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 9:17:34 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It's a little old, but still this millennium. In college, a friend and I worked for a place that was going out of business. He and I started gathering applications from every place we saw that had a sign up looking for help. One of those places was a hotel where they were hiring for housekeeping. When we asked for applications, they told us they only wanted girls.

I honestly think that's the only time I've ever encountered sexism directed against me, ever.
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 9:42:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 9:17:34 PM, Burzmali wrote:
It's a little old, but still this millennium. In college, a friend and I worked for a place that was going out of business. He and I started gathering applications from every place we saw that had a sign up looking for help. One of those places was a hotel where they were hiring for housekeeping. When we asked for applications, they told us they only wanted girls.

I honestly think that's the only time I've ever encountered sexism directed against me, ever.

Wow! That sucks! I hope those people die or kill themselves because what they did to you was wrong!
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 10:27:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 9:42:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 8/9/2016 9:17:34 PM, Burzmali wrote:
It's a little old, but still this millennium. In college, a friend and I worked for a place that was going out of business. He and I started gathering applications from every place we saw that had a sign up looking for help. One of those places was a hotel where they were hiring for housekeeping. When we asked for applications, they told us they only wanted girls.

I honestly think that's the only time I've ever encountered sexism directed against me, ever.

Wow! That sucks! I hope those people die or kill themselves because what they did to you was wrong!

That's a pretty f'd up thing to wish on someone just for a minor slight.
Heterodox
Posts: 293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 10:40:41 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

I didn't see anything sexist in your examples.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 11:49:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 9:42:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Wow! That sucks! I hope those people die or kill themselves because what they did to you was wrong!

Nobody said that sexism was the most awful thing on the planet.

I was curious about examples for discussion and he provided one.

Please stop embarrassing yourself and being dramatic.

You clearly have nothing useful to add to this thread. Take care.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 11:51:30 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 10:40:41 PM, Heterodox wrote:
I didn't see anything sexist in your examples.

You must not know the definition of sexism.

http://lmgtfy.com...
President of DDO
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 12:50:32 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
When I applied to the local law enforcement agency and spoke with the sergeant personally, he notified me that the recruiters were hiring a female. There was 1 vacancy for the department and I was specifically told they were hiring a female.

I had another veteran firefighter tell me that when the mass testings were done the human resources office took all the white male tests, stacked them in a pile, and subsueqeuntly had them graded last. The tests ask for race and sex.

From here on out I am now, according to what the tests ask for, a black female.
Heterodox
Posts: 293
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 12:58:34 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 11:51:30 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 10:40:41 PM, Heterodox wrote:
I didn't see anything sexist in your examples.

You must not know the definition of sexism.

http://lmgtfy.com...

I didn't see any prejudice or stereotyping in any of your examples.
Peepette
Posts: 1,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:17:41 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 5:29:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/9/2016 3:56:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's no secret that many people are hostile toward feminism. And I understand why. The obnoxious nature of many SJWs can make it hard to take feminism seriously, similarly to how some god-awful behavior from individuals linked to the BLM movement have painted the group in a negative light overall. Yet I do consider myself a feminist (though defending the title gets monotonous) and I think there are still some valid feminist claims. I also think there are some exaggerated ones for sure. But it's undeniable that sexism, to some degree, still exists in society today and that includes sexism against men - something that feminists rightfully point out, despite the claims of being "man haters."

Recently the Huffington Post (not my favorite source, but I digress) has highlighted some of the sexism by the media at the Rio games. One or two of their mentions are pretty innocent, but some of them are truly cringeworthy. Just a few days ago, CNN posted an article about some pretty sexist stuff in the media lately not linked to the Olympics -- for example Eric Trump said his sister Ivanka is immune to the problem of sexual harassment because she is a "strong, powerful woman." And one of the executives at Saatchi & Saatchi said only 11.5% of the leaders in the industry are female, because women "reach a certain point in their careers" and choose happiness instead.

Sure, there may be some merit to that claim (please God nobody bring up the wage gap...) yet to deny there are social expectations and norms that encourage particular ways of viewing people is simply not reality. I think it's sad that female Olympians are being referred to in headlines as "The wife of a Bears lineman wins medal," or that we still shame women with muscular bodies. It's 2016 people.

http://i.imgur.com...

That being said -- since I know men get into a defensive, hostile uproar whenever you even attempt to acknowledge disparaging sexism -- what are some sexist things that YOU have experienced (including against males) in today's day and age? I know that it exists both ways. And please no general examples; I'm looking for personal anecdotes.

I thoroughly enjoyed being the only straight male in my women's studies class in college. It was by far the most academically challenging thing I have ever accomplished, squeaking by with a B.

That being said, it's difficult as a straight man to find placement as an educator, but not impossible. You just have to look for the niches.

Difficulty finding placement as an educator? At what level? At the elementary and middle school level men are snatched up like gold, so few choose to teach these ages. Where I'm from, if you have the credentials and male you would assuredly be hired. All the males in my graduate class were placed within a month.
Nivek
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 2:53:35 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I have a personal anecdote. I cook for a living and If I had to pick between my house and the outside world, I would rather stay indoors and be the "domestic caretaker" of the house. The only problem that I take issue is with other domestic caretakers.

When I was a teenager, other mothers would "interrogate" my cooking methods. They would compliment me "These are wonderful cookies, may I know how you cooked them?" and after showing them step by step, they'll give me these vengeful looks and they would also relay a few sarcastic remarks about how I could've done things cleaner. They've also suggested that because I'm a male, I am incapable of keeping things clean. I told them that I don't "clean as I go in the kitchen" because I wanted to see some input on my cooking first, whether it was tasty or not. At which point they said that cooking is not my area and that I should seek other activities because my cooking is not "done the way it should be". They'd give me college anecdotes about how male students suffer from various types of cancer for not cooking properly and for only knowing how to cook instant meals. I hate their sarcastic indirect cowardice and I absolutely despise their conclusions of me.

This was during my teenage years, so I heeded their advice. I stopped cooking for a time and I felt really depressed, devoid of all purpose. I started socializing and eating outside but I still can't help it but be critical with whatever food that was served to me. Too much salt, too much grease and too much this and too much that. I began to internalize their toxic attitude. This wasn't necessarily the worst experience or anything that resembles severe discrimination, but they did prevent me from learning such skill. I began to cook in secret and everything starts to move in the right direction, I get along well with my mother because she has ideal responses such as "I like your other recipe better than this, you should cook that one more often" and I like how they actually specify what food that they like, so I can memorize it and cook accordingly to whatever preference they have.

College years are no different. I usually probe my friends for the types of food they like and I usually remember it until my next grocery trip. I still have that "Wait, who cooked these?" reactions from caretakers in between social events but I refuse to answer those questions. Such questions will involve the same reaction and I'm not keen on experiencing the past. That's the only thing that bugs me.
Nivek
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 2:58:23 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 8:08:29 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 8/9/2016 8:04:26 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/9/2016 7:44:15 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
And there is a high level of sexism against men, not just women. You can even type in male sexism and there will probably be even more results than if you typed in female sexism.

That's exactly what I said (that there is sexism against males too).

I've asked for people to give examples of personal sexism they've experienced.

What about you?

Well, my dad always used to tell me to "man up," but THANKFULLY, he stopped telling me that and now my life is more peaceful.

I've also heard a lot of teachers say sexist things about men that aren't true.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could shut up and just accept everyone else's differences? Wouldn't it be nice if there was no sexism or racism or discrimination? If all lives could matter and not just women's lives or black lives or white lives?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just live in peace and a more equal society instead of living in a prejudiced hell hole?

Such principle would demand that you(specifically) abstain from praising masculine values. In which case, I see a contradiction.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 4:32:18 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/10/2016 12:58:34 AM, Heterodox wrote:
I didn't see any prejudice or stereotyping in any of your examples.

You forgot discriminatory. And that's pretty alarming since the 4 examples I gave are obviously so.

- Suggesting that "strong" women can't be harassed is prejudice(preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) and arguably stereotyping

- Suggesting women (on balance) choose "happiness" over their career is prejudiced, stereotyping and discriminatory

- Creating a headline about a medal placing Olympian by referring to her husband's career (with no mention of her name) is discriminatory, as in, the unjust treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

- Shaming women for having muscular bodies is stereotyping and creating a stigma out of being strong (which discriminates against women -- men don't have the same stigma for having visible muscles)
President of DDO
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 5:40:02 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/9/2016 10:27:27 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 8/9/2016 9:42:40 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 8/9/2016 9:17:34 PM, Burzmali wrote:
It's a little old, but still this millennium. In college, a friend and I worked for a place that was going out of business. He and I started gathering applications from every place we saw that had a sign up looking for help. One of those places was a hotel where they were hiring for housekeeping. When we asked for applications, they told us they only wanted girls.

I honestly think that's the only time I've ever encountered sexism directed against me, ever.

Wow! That sucks! I hope those people die or kill themselves because what they did to you was wrong!

That's a pretty f'd up thing to wish on someone just for a minor slight.

Well, I think they deserve it

You shouldn't be able to just kick someone out because of their gender.

Just saying.