Jump to topic:

The Silent Plurality

Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:00:43 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have noticed most religious, political, and social posts get overrun by the hard left, muslims, and atheists. I find this interesting, given the demographic breakdown of the membership from debate.org 's own internal statistics: http://www.debate.org...

If you look over the demographic breakout, this looks much like how the hard left, muslims, and atheists normally get portrayed as a larger part of society in general. Conservatives and Christians are the largest number of members. The only demographic which does not surprise me based on the opinions commonly expressed is the small percentage of Americans (8%).
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:25:55 PM
At 8/12/2016 1:00:43 AM, Throwback wrote:
I have noticed most religious, political, and social posts get overrun by the hard left, muslims, and atheists. I find this interesting, given the demographic breakdown of the membership from debate.org 's own internal statistics: http://www.debate.org...

If you look over the demographic breakout, this looks much like how the hard left, muslims, and atheists normally get portrayed as a larger part of society in general. Conservatives and Christians are the largest number of members. The only demographic which does not surprise me based on the opinions commonly expressed is the small percentage of Americans (8%).

The demographic of Americans is actually one of the ones that surprised me the most. I was expecting a higher percentage.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 2:56:13 PM
At 8/12/2016 1:25:55 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

The demographic of Americans is actually one of the ones that surprised me the most. I was expecting a higher percentage.

I wonder what the "other" 88% are as in which country?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:04:00 PM

Agreed.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:08:47 PM
A couple things I'm not surprised about (well, more than a couple):

1) Majority of the members which are 62% are white (not surprised there based on some of the threads I've participated in)

2) 47% of the members here have a high school education (not surprised here based on the threads I've participated in) while only 7% of members here have graduate degrees and only 3% have post doctoral

3) 42% are Christian conservative (17%) and most members make $25k or less

What this tells me is that we have an impoverished community of white male/females with a high school education level that hold traditional Christian Conservative values. I find these statistics interesting and it demonstrates the types of discussions that arise in various sections on DDO.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:37:33 PM

These statistics aren't accurate. It includes the huge number of spam accounts, hence the low number of Americans. I very lowball estimate of the amount of American here would be 60%, so that means that only about 13% of the sample size is 'valid', if we were to adjust the statistics. And we can't just adjust the statistics, because that means that we're acting under the assumption that the 87% of 'junk data' is more or less equivalent to the 13% of 'real data'. In this case, that assumption isn't warranted; the junk data is probably skewed.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:40:14 PM
At 8/12/2016 3:37:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

These statistics aren't accurate. It includes the huge number of spam accounts, hence the low number of Americans. I very lowball estimate of the amount of American here would be 60%, so that means that only about 13% of the sample size is 'valid', if we were to adjust the statistics. And we can't just adjust the statistics, because that means that we're acting under the assumption that the 87% of 'junk data' is more or less equivalent to the 13% of 'real data'. In this case, that assumption isn't warranted; the junk data is probably skewed.

You may well be right. As I just posted a few minutes ago on another topic, statistics are the great liar of mathematics.
jesusismywarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 4:56:39 PM

Only 42% are Christians? That's lots of room for ungodly sinners.
Mark 10:44-45 "44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:56:32 PM

The most vociferous contributors to the politics and society forums are on the right -- a majority of their threads and posts inveigh against a certain class of leftists they pejoratively refer to as 'social justice warriors' and an overwhelming majority of active posters in a poll in the politics forum have declared themselves supporters of donald trump. Rightists, as a general principle, are more drawn to formal debate online (which is a very good thing) and have historically dominated the forums on DDO.

What you've stated here is so manifestly and egregiously false, that I can't really imagine it was an innocent mistake.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 9:41:55 PM
I have noticed most religious, political, and social posts get overrun by the hard left, :muslims, and atheists

I can count all the active Muslim members of this forum on the fingers of one hand.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:35:16 PM
At 8/12/2016 4:56:39 PM, jesusismywarrior wrote:

Only 42% are Christians? That's lots of room for ungodly sinners.

It is a plurality. No other group comes close to 42%
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:37:42 PM
At 8/12/2016 5:56:32 PM, 000ike wrote:

The most vociferous contributors to the politics and society forums are on the right -- a majority of their threads and posts inveigh against a certain class of leftists they pejoratively refer to as 'social justice warriors' and an overwhelming majority of active posters in a poll in the politics forum have declared themselves supporters of donald trump. Rightists, as a general principle, are more drawn to formal debate online (which is a very good thing) and have historically dominated the forums on DDO.

What you've stated here is so manifestly and egregiously false, that I can't really imagine it was an innocent mistake.

OK
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:39:35 PM
At 8/12/2016 9:41:55 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I have noticed most religious, political, and social posts get overrun by the hard left, :muslims, and atheists

I can count all the active Muslim members of this forum on the fingers of one hand.

Aggregate, and that part is exceptionally vociferous. Not surprising if you look at the fanatical hatred boiling underneath, waiting to be exhaled when they take control of a region.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 12:17:55 PM
At 8/12/2016 2:56:13 PM, Hiu wrote:

A mixture of others I'm assuming. Probably predominantly European countries, telling by the "white" demographic. My country probably would have about 0.01%, I think? Maybe less, maybe more. But I'm the only active member from here.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 12:36:47 PM
At 8/13/2016 12:17:55 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

A mixture of others I'm assuming. Probably predominantly European countries, telling by the "white" demographic. My country probably would have about 0.01%, I think? Maybe less, maybe more. But I'm the only active member from here.

What country are you from?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 1:22:37 PM
At 8/13/2016 12:36:47 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 8/13/2016 12:17:55 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

What country are you from?

Malta. There are only 16 accounts from here, and I have the only active one.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:08:53 AM
At 8/12/2016 3:08:47 PM, Hiu wrote:

1) Majority of the members which are 62% are white (not surprised there based on some of the threads I've participated in)

2) 47% of the members here have a high school education (not surprised here based on the threads I've participated in) while only 7% of members here have graduate degrees and only 3% have post doctoral

What this tells me is that we have an impoverished community of white male/females with a high school education level that hold traditional Christian Conservative values. I find these statistics interesting and it demonstrates the types of discussions that arise in various sections on DDO.

There are 330,000 registered users on ddo, most of them being young members. It's no surprise, but this doesn't mean much because the only demographic that matters are of the active members, not random people that signed up for this site.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:09:50 AM

I can't count how many times I told you to CHANGE YOUR SIG on one hand, or two hands, or 10 hands for that matter.

Change your sig you weeney
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:17:31 AM
At 8/14/2016 1:09:50 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I can't count how many times I told you to CHANGE YOUR SIG on one hand, or two hands, or 10 hands for that matter.

Changed
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:20:27 AM
At 8/14/2016 1:17:31 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Changed

wew

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:02:25 AM
At 8/14/2016 1:08:53 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

There are 330,000 registered users on ddo, most of them being young members. It's no surprise, but this doesn't mean much because the only demographic that matters are of the active members, not random people that signed up for this site.

Then it would be helpful to have a graph of those active members.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:23:57 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:02:25 AM, Hiu wrote:

Very true. The inactive members don't really represent much. Again, statistics-the great liar of mathematics.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:29:38 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:23:57 AM, Throwback wrote:

Very true. The inactive members don't really represent much. Again, statistics-the great liar of mathematics.

Did you coin that term "statistics being the liar of mathematics?"
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:32:20 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:29:38 AM, Hiu wrote:

I think so. Sometimes we tend to remember things we heard as if we are making them up on our own. If it's not mine, let me know and I will stop plagiarizing it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:44:47 AM

http://images1.tickld.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:56:09 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:32:20 AM, Throwback wrote:

I think so. Sometimes we tend to remember things we heard as if we are making them up on our own. If it's not mine, let me know and I will stop plagiarizing it.

It's basically summarized here, and even predates this:

'It has long been recognized by public men of all kinds (whether the talkers or the scribblers or the mere Born-So), that statistics come under the head of Lying, and that no lie is so false or inconclusive as that which is based on statistics. The reason is simple. As truth depends upon proportion, so falsehood has, for its best method, suggestion by wrong proportion. When you are dealing with mere figures you can wangle any proportion you like. You have only to leave out the words which would give the heart of the matter, and your false effect is produced automatically...

Before the curse of statistics fell upon mankind we lived a happy, innocent life, full of merriment and go, and informed by fairly good judgment. We knew when the weather was cold and when it was dry ; we knew what public opinion was ; we knew what was good for us and what was bad for us, and all the rest. That state of affairs lasted for centuries. It was too good to last. The statistician was let loose. He came in the train of Discovery and the rest. He was part of Progress. He took up his authority in a world which could only count and was ceasing to think or to feel. He appealed to those who had learnt to read figures and to add up and to multiply and to spell, but who had learnt nothing else, who were even rapidly unlearning all things worth knowing. Until the coming of this enemy to the human mind we rejoiced in the spring weather, and we said : 'What a delightful day!' We did not know that the rainfall was .00215 above the average. We were indignant to hear of a brutal murder. We did not know that brutal murderers wax and wane with the waxing and waning of sun-spots -- flourishing when these are extensive, halting when these are less. We knew that a good bottle of wine was a good bottle of wine, and a bottle of methylated something quite other. Now we learn from statistics that each has such and such an amount -- 'percentage' they call it -- of a whimsy dubbed "Alcohol," and that therefore wine and methylated are the same. We knew an Englishman when we saw him. We did not know that the facial angle, the cephalic index, let alone the laehrymary gland, could prove by figures that Englishmen were not Englishmen at all, but something other. We knew that we had to die, but we did not know that the average expectation of life in anyone who had reached the age of five years and forty-two days was -- whatever it is. Our childhood was the less troubled. We knew that flying into a passion was undignified, futile and (for the apoplectic) dangerous. But no one strapped little gadgets round our arms and talked mumbo-jumbo about blood pressure, and proved us ready for heaven. We knew when we were oppressed by taxation, we knew when the oppression had become intolerable, and having sound general instincts in the matter, we could correct the evil ; but once it was proved to us that of the total national income only half or whatever it is, was really subject to taxation, we persuaded ourselves it was all right -- yes, even when we had togive up the car.

Statistics are the triumph of the quantitative method, and the quantitative method is the victory of sterility and death. The sane, unspoilt mind comes at truth by integration: you see a tree and say: 'That is an elm.' The diseased statistical mind counts the leaves and measures the shapes thereof, working by differentials."
http://archive.thetablet.co.uk...
- Hilaire Belloc -
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 4:24:02 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:56:09 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 8/14/2016 3:32:20 AM, Throwback wrote:

It's basically summarized here, and even predates this:

'It has long been recognized by public men of all kinds (whether the talkers or the scribblers or the mere Born-So), that statistics come under the head of Lying, and that no lie is so false or inconclusive as that which is based on statistics. The reason is simple. As truth depends upon proportion, so falsehood has, for its best method, suggestion by wrong proportion. When you are dealing with mere figures you can wangle any proportion you like. You have only to leave out the words which would give the heart of the matter, and your false effect is produced automatically...

Before the curse of statistics fell upon mankind we lived a happy, innocent life, full of merriment and go, and informed by fairly good judgment. We knew when the weather was cold and when it was dry ; we knew what public opinion was ; we knew what was good for us and what was bad for us, and all the rest. That state of affairs lasted for centuries. It was too good to last. The statistician was let loose. He came in the train of Discovery and the rest. He was part of Progress. He took up his authority in a world which could only count and was ceasing to think or to feel. He appealed to those who had learnt to read figures and to add up and to multiply and to spell, but who had learnt nothing else, who were even rapidly unlearning all things worth knowing. Until the coming of this enemy to the human mind we rejoiced in the spring weather, and we said : 'What a delightful day!' We did not know that the rainfall was .00215 above the average. We were indignant to hear of a brutal murder. We did not know that brutal murderers wax and wane with the waxing and waning of sun-spots -- flourishing when these are extensive, halting when these are less. We knew that a good bottle of wine was a good bottle of wine, and a bottle of methylated something quite other. Now we learn from statistics that each has such and such an amount -- 'percentage' they call it -- of a whimsy dubbed "Alcohol," and that therefore wine and methylated are the same. We knew an Englishman when we saw him. We did not know that the facial angle, the cephalic index, let alone the laehrymary gland, could prove by figures that Englishmen were not Englishmen at all, but something other. We knew that we had to die, but we did not know that the average expectation of life in anyone who had reached the age of five years and forty-two days was -- whatever it is. Our childhood was the less troubled. We knew that flying into a passion was undignified, futile and (for the apoplectic) dangerous. But no one strapped little gadgets round our arms and talked mumbo-jumbo about blood pressure, and proved us ready for heaven. We knew when we were oppressed by taxation, we knew when the oppression had become intolerable, and having sound general instincts in the matter, we could correct the evil ; but once it was proved to us that of the total national income only half or whatever it is, was really subject to taxation, we persuaded ourselves it was all right -- yes, even when we had togive up the car.

Statistics are the triumph of the quantitative method, and the quantitative method is the victory of sterility and death. The sane, unspoilt mind comes at truth by integration: you see a tree and say: 'That is an elm.' The diseased statistical mind counts the leaves and measures the shapes thereof, working by differentials."
http://archive.thetablet.co.uk...

Well I can certainly say I didn't take it from there. My life and work experiences have repeatedly shown me the fallacy of statistics.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 4:41:09 AM

Ask juggle to do it then...