Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Is Adult Incest Illegal For Moral Reasons?

gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:33:59 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Good day,

as of late I have been searching some taboo topics like Bestiality, Cannibalism, Necrophilia and Incest, after trying to find useful information when it comes to incest it keeps coming back to the same 2 arguments, namely:

1. it is disgusting/unnatural
2. there is a higher chance to have a deformed baby

the way I like to think is that if no party is hurt, then there should be no reason for something to be made illegal.

the 1st argument is merely subjective, sure the majority find it gross but that is no reason to make something illegal as someone's own personal likes and dislikes should not decide the law

the 2nd argument is a good argument, however what if there is safe sex involved between the 2? or what if it's 2 brothers or 2 sisters? that way there is no risk at all of getting pregnant.

so this does make me wonder why it is that incest is illegal, if it is 2 consenting adults who either practise safe sex or are both of the same sex and therefore have no risk of getting pregnant, what valid argument is there for making such a relationship illegal? the only reason I see is a moral reason which goes back to the 1st argument which is not how the law should work in my eyes

I apologize if this is in the wrong category but I thought it would fit in society as it is society as a majority who deems incest wrong.

I look forward to reading any replies as I'm most curious.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 12:22:46 AM
At 8/13/2016 7:33:59 PM, gdirulez wrote:
Good day,

as of late I have been searching some taboo topics like Bestiality, Cannibalism, Necrophilia and Incest, after trying to find useful information when it comes to incest it keeps coming back to the same 2 arguments, namely:

the way I like to think is that if no party is hurt, then there should be no reason for something to be made illegal.

Same here.

the 1st argument is merely subjective, sure the majority find it gross but that is no reason to make something illegal as someone's own personal likes and dislikes should not decide the law

the 2nd argument is a good argument, however what if there is safe sex involved between the 2? or what if it's 2 brothers or 2 sisters? that way there is no risk at all of getting pregnant.

so this does make me wonder why it is that incest is illegal, if it is 2 consenting adults who either practise safe sex or are both of the same sex and therefore have no risk of getting pregnant, what valid argument is there for making such a relationship illegal? the only reason I see is a moral reason which goes back to the 1st argument which is not how the law should work in my eyes

I apologize if this is in the wrong category but I thought it would fit in society as it is society as a majority who deems incest wrong.

I doubt there's a reason. Aside from legality, if there was a reason that incest was deemed wrong in the past, it's most likely been forgotten now, but because it's still seen as wrong today, people think of reasons for why it is still wrong. While it's immorality can be explained this way, it doesn't give a reason for why it was originally immoral which is largely contextual.

I think because the original reason for something is forgotten and people think of current reasons for past decisions, things and ideas that would be outdated get perpetuated.

But I say this assuming there's a reason why. I don't believe there was an original reason.
gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:40:41 AM
At 8/14/2016 12:22:46 AM, difference wrote:
Good day,

Same here.

I doubt there's a reason. Aside from legality, if there was a reason that incest was deemed wrong in the past, it's most likely been forgotten now, but because it's still seen as wrong today, people think of reasons for why it is still wrong. While it's immorality can be explained this way, it doesn't give a reason for why it was originally immoral which is largely contextual.

I think because the original reason for something is forgotten and people think of current reasons for past decisions, things and ideas that would be outdated get perpetuated.

But I say this assuming there's a reason why. I don't believe there was an original reason.

then why do you think it is still illegal? is it because if you try and make a case about legalizing Consensual Incest between 2 adults the majority of people would stand against you and make it a more difficult case? as has been seen with gay marriage simply being a majority holds a incredibly amount of power.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 5:04:03 AM
People of significant blood relation obviously shouldn't be reproducing, but if two consenting adults want to have a relationship or just bone I don't see how it is any of my business.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:30:24 PM
At 8/15/2016 2:40:41 AM, gdirulez wrote:
At 8/14/2016 12:22:46 AM, difference wrote:
Good day,

Same here.

then why do you think it is still illegal? is it because if you try and make a case about legalizing Consensual Incest between 2 adults the majority of people would stand against you and make it a more difficult case? as has been seen with gay marriage simply being a majority holds a incredibly amount of power.

What you said sounds right. Otherwise I don't know
Charmings_Snow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:02:26 PM
It may have been deemed illegal in the past, however it was also encouraged in the past to keep royal blood lines pure.

As far as it being illegal because it's "gross" I do believe that to not be a valid reason. However, I do think that the majority of the reason would be more religious beliefs. Most religions frown upon it, however that is not a reason for incest to be illegal either. Do we not have freedom of religion? Freedom of choice? No one should be able to tell another whom they can and cannot love.

Now, onto the deformity of children. Incest has the same likely hood of deformity as women above a certain age, should be tell women over a certain age they cannot reproduce? Or, if two people who have a disease that is even more likely to spread to their offspring, should they be told they cannot reproduce? Also, a factor you did not mention would be an opposite sex couple where one, or both, parties are unable to reproduce. If reproduction is really the biggest issue, can there not a be a compromise made to legalize incest?

It saddens me that in place where we are deemed "the land of the free" we are not free, even in cases of who we love and choose to spend our lives with. I want to see this law changed!
gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:56:56 PM
At 8/15/2016 2:02:26 PM, Charmings_Snow wrote:
It may have been deemed illegal in the past, however it was also encouraged in the past to keep royal blood lines pure.

As far as it being illegal because it's "gross" I do believe that to not be a valid reason. However, I do think that the majority of the reason would be more religious beliefs. Most religions frown upon it, however that is not a reason for incest to be illegal either. Do we not have freedom of religion? Freedom of choice? No one should be able to tell another whom they can and cannot love.

Now, onto the deformity of children. Incest has the same likely hood of deformity as women above a certain age, should be tell women over a certain age they cannot reproduce? Or, if two people who have a disease that is even more likely to spread to their offspring, should they be told they cannot reproduce? Also, a factor you did not mention would be an opposite sex couple where one, or both, parties are unable to reproduce. If reproduction is really the biggest issue, can there not a be a compromise made to legalize incest?

It saddens me that in place where we are deemed "the land of the free" we are not free, even in cases of who we love and choose to spend our lives with. I want to see this law changed!

that is an interesting point you make, on 1 hand you do not want to get pregnant if there's a high chance of it suffering from it, on the other hand you should have the freedom to get pregnant and other people with diseases are not restricted to that, it would be hypocritical then to make incest illegal when it comes to birthing deformed babies yet allow other with genetic disease or mental handicaps to still get a baby.

you bring good points and I have begun doubting the argument of 'deformed babies' considering the hypocrisy of it.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:36:33 PM
Good day,

I was watching a documentary on Koko the Gorilla. They discovered that Gorillas will not mate with another Gorilla if they are raised together because they think of each other as siblings.

Repugnance towards incest is hardwired in humans and other apes. Its legal status will not change that so its legality is moot.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:21:01 AM
Amost all humans are wired-up for incest aviodance, as are most animals. Humans however are blessed (or cursed?) with consciousness and intelligence and so intinctively seek reasons for things, even if those 'reasons' are in fact 'rationalisations'. We rationalise our genetically programmed instinct for avoiding incest by identifying incest as 'immoral', and we often pass laws against immoral things to underline morals disapproval.

In practice, custodial sentences are rarely imposed (at least in the UK) and where they are it is where there is a clear asymmetry in age or maturity leading to doubt that proper consent was possible, or even sought. The incidence of what might be called 'romantic love' between close family members is nearly zero and - compared to the incidence of unequal and co-erced incest is - IMO- rightly ignored from a moral and legal point of view.