Jump to topic:

only caring about disabilities in the family

gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:36:40 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have Autism and my mother tends to bring that up in conversations she has and gets annoyed if people don't know what it is, yet she doesn't go out of her way to search up what people with ADD are, she doesn't go search up what people with Down Syndrome are, she didn't even care about Autism untill it was found out I had it.

so my question is why do people expect others to know about the disabilities/special conditions of their family member yet they themselves do not go out of their way in getting more knowledge about disabilities that are not in the family? is it selfishnes? or do they simply not think about it? it seems hypocritical to me.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:19:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/15/2016 2:36:40 AM, gdirulez wrote:
I have Autism and my mother tends to bring that up in conversations she has and gets annoyed if people don't know what it is, yet she doesn't go out of her way to search up what people with ADD are, she doesn't go search up what people with Down Syndrome are, she didn't even care about Autism untill it was found out I had it.

so my question is why do people expect others to know about the disabilities/special conditions of their family member yet they themselves do not go out of their way in getting more knowledge about disabilities that are not in the family? is it selfishnes? or do they simply not think about it? it seems hypocritical to me.

It does seem selfish and hypocritical. My toddler sister has autism, and my mother talks about it all the time as well, and sometimes she even cries because of it, in front of my own sister. I think it's very discouraging to my sister, seeing her mother cry because of how she was born. My mother also expects every person in our family to help her with my sister, when not everyone can, but when someone else needs help, she never helps.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello