Jump to topic:

An accurate measure of privilege

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:31:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Now, before you call me a "WSJ" or any other reactionary snarl words (don't muh feelings plz), hear me out:

This is how it goes. 10 or so privileges are stated below, if the privilege applies to you, give it a check. If more than 50% of the answers apply to you. you're opinion will become officially invalid in all matters of serious political discourse due to your offical status of over privilege. Meaning you're not even allowed to correct my incorrect usage of "you're" from one sentence ago.

R-r-ready? Begin.

1. __ I am Eukaryotic Organism
2. __ I never had to wait until a specific "season" before I can breed.
3. __ I am a Multi-celluar organism
4. __ I have my own mitochondria at my service.
5. __ I have a 4 chambered heart.
6. __ I never had worry about getting catcalled by "mating rituals"
7. __ I never had to grow absurdly large feathers on my but to attract a mate.
8. __ I am not a Prokaryotic Organism.
9. __ I am from "Genus Homo"
10. __ I have two parents from the same species.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:44:50 AM
2/10 trolling, 2 points awarded because you suggested the genus "homo" was a class that had privilege
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:51:07 AM
At 8/19/2016 3:31:57 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Now, before you call me a "WSJ" or any other reactionary snarl words (don't muh feelings plz), hear me out:

This is how it goes. 10 or so privileges are stated below, if the privilege applies to you, give it a check. If more than 50% of the answers apply to you. you're opinion will become officially invalid in all matters of serious political discourse due to your offical status of over privilege. Meaning you're not even allowed to correct my incorrect usage of "you're" from one sentence ago.

R-r-ready? Begin.

dang it, I can't ever engage in political discussion ever again because of muh privilege. ):
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 4:32:06 AM
At 8/19/2016 3:44:50 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
2/10 trolling, 2 points awarded because you suggested the genus "homo" was a class that had privilege

no homo
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 8:39:26 AM

R-r-ready? Begin.

Not really sure when it happened - that Not having "Negative" things happen to you turned into a privilege. To me it just seems like another "watering down" of the language.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 6:29:09 PM
At 8/19/2016 8:39:26 AM, Heterodox wrote:

R-r-ready? Begin.

Not really sure when it happened - that Not having "Negative" things happen to you turned into a privilege. To me it just seems like another "watering down" of the language.

You don't see how growing up while facing less adversity than others is a privilege?
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:05:43 PM
At 8/19/2016 6:29:09 PM, Burzmali wrote:

R-r-ready? Begin.

You don't see how growing up while facing less adversity than others is a privilege?

Indeed I do not. I see a privilege as something more than, extra, a bonus, not the lack of a negative.

EX:
I don't call it a privilege that I didn't get shot in the spine and can no longer walk.
I don't call it a privilege that I haven't yet gotten cancer.
I don't call it a privilege I wasn't born without all my limbs.
I don't call it a privilege I haven't yet been struck by lightning.
Etc.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 9:12:01 PM
At 8/19/2016 7:05:43 PM, Heterodox wrote:

R-r-ready? Begin.

Indeed I do not. I see a privilege as something more than, extra, a bonus, not the lack of a negative.

EX:
I don't call it a privilege that I didn't get shot in the spine and can no longer walk.
Etc.

You're talking about events, basically. Privilege in this sense refers more to your surroundings growing up, and the environment you're now able to exist in. Like living in a safe neighborhood, where you can walk to school with little to no fear of being the victim of a crime. Maybe having involved parents who read to you as a child and didn't just plop you in front of the TV all day long.

Assuming you don't think those are forms of privilege, either, maybe you could give an example of what you think it is.
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 1:01:08 AM
At 8/19/2016 9:12:01 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:05:43 PM, Heterodox wrote:

R-r-ready? Begin.

EX:
Etc.

You're talking about events, basically. Privilege in this sense refers more to your surroundings growing up, and the environment you're now able to exist in. Like living in a safe neighborhood, where you can walk to school with little to no fear of being the victim of a crime. Maybe having involved parents who read to you as a child and didn't just plop you in front of the TV all day long.

Assuming you don't think those are forms of privilege, either, maybe you could give an example of what you think it is.

I'll give you a few examples of what I think is privilege:

There are tons of privileges that come with professions or come from being an employee. Like being allowed to enter restricted areas. Cops, while on duty and pursuing a criminal, can break all sorts of traffic laws.

Virtually any license is you paying for a privilege (or being screwed over by the government in some cases). To drive a car on public roadways, to sell alcohol, to own certain types of firearms (an obvious infringement, it's a right), etc.

Money can buy privileges, but having money itself isn't a privilege (there are some exceptions especially when there is an expectation of you spending that money).