Jump to topic:

A Guaranteed Basic Income

NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 6:53:23 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
As American as apple pie, guaranteed basic income is a redistributive concept first taking root in Thomas Paine's "citizen's dividend" in 1795. Through the years, supporters vary from classical liberals Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman to civil rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr. and former Labor Secretary Robert Reich.

A guaranteed basic income would remove the costly, bloated and ineffective welfare apparatus as well as its invasive control mechanisms, and instead inject cash directly -- and unconditionally -- to the citizenry.

For once there is an issue uniting progressives, libertarians, and (mainstream) conservatives.
So my question is, why not?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 7:06:06 AM
At 8/23/2016 6:53:23 AM, NHN wrote:
As American as apple pie, guaranteed basic income is a redistributive concept first taking root in Thomas Paine's "citizen's dividend" in 1795. Through the years, supporters vary from classical liberals Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman to civil rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr. and former Labor Secretary Robert Reich.

A guaranteed basic income would remove the costly, bloated and ineffective welfare apparatus as well as its invasive control mechanisms, and instead inject cash directly -- and unconditionally -- to the citizenry.

For once there is an issue uniting progressives, libertarians, and (mainstream) conservatives.
So my question is, why not?

I doubt the Dems would be willing to dismantle the plantation, and the Reps need to be dismantled first.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 7:13:25 AM
At 8/23/2016 7:06:06 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I doubt the Dems would be willing to dismantle the plantation, and the Reps need to be dismantled first.
I see what you mean. It's a hot-button issue that runs counter to the interests of many lobbies, from big labor to Grover Norquist.

However, I placed this topic in the Society (and Economics) discussion forum to avoid partisan politics. It is far more interesting for me to see your take on the social aspect of basic income, rather than an interpretation of how it would be politically feasible.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 7:17:48 AM
At 8/23/2016 7:13:25 AM, NHN wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:06:06 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
I see what you mean. It's a hot-button issue that runs counter to the interests of many lobbies, from big labor to Grover Norquist.

However, I placed this topic in the Society (and Economics) discussion forum to avoid partisan politics. It is far more interesting for me to see your take on the social aspect of basic income, rather than an interpretation of how it would be politically feasible.

Of course it's a great idea. every research point on the subject shows it is a superior social plan. Its simplicity deters corruption as well. Perhaps we will be in a position to implement it within a decade.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 7:56:52 AM
At 8/23/2016 7:17:48 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Of course it's a great idea. every research point on the subject shows it is a superior social plan. Its simplicity deters corruption as well. Perhaps we will be in a position to implement it within a decade.
One can only hope. And it really must happen within a decade considering the acceleration of automation and the diminishing pool of middle-to-high-income jobs. As of now, the vast majority of new jobs added are minimum wage, which are unable to sustain the middle class family (http://time.com...). Moreover, food stamp and Medicaid dependence is not only costly, it's corporate welfare masquerading as social assistance.

First in line to give basic income a shot is Finland. But the initiative, effective January 1, 2017, is being scaled back as current welfare programs will be maintained; the cash injection will vary from $600 to $800 and be distributed to 10,000 individuals in a country of 5 million. In Finland, however, housing is incomparably cheaper, which means the amount will be enough to maintain expenses for a low-income family. Regardless, I'll be keeping a close and watchful eye.