Jump to topic:

Bitch College Students

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 3:40:19 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
College Students, now, are bitches. They are pathetic, in a way that has become shockingly impossible to ignore. Students are increasingly seeking "help" for and having mental and emotional crises for problems associated with every day life. Students run to therapy for having too much homework, or for seeing mice in their apartments.

Source: https://www.psychologytoday.com...

College students demand "trigger warnings" for things that might offend their emotional and psychological frailty. See a picture of a homeless person, or a Republican? They call this trauma, and require counseling and therapy for it. Get a bad grade on a test? No longer do students study harder, they contemplate suicide.

I understand that the world is literally burning around them. The Republican party seems out to destroy America. ISIS exists. Europe is being overran with Arabs. These are real problems, but what is the solution?

The bottom line is that colleges coddle students too much. They do too much, waste too much money, and give students too little to work with. It's time that colleges tell students to man up. The real world doesn't give a sh!t about their feelings, nor should it. College should not infantile college students more than high school, yet that is literally waht it does.

Failure is something, as well, that people need to learn to deal with. It hurts. I have failed in many things I've done and I hate it, but how failure works is that you fvck up and then you pick up the pieces and move on. You unfvck the thing you fvked up, and learn from the mistake. Colleges have to get students to realize that.

And enough of the trauma culture. Experiencing different perspectives does not cause trauma. If there is a real racist sitting next to you, get over it. This is America, and people have the right to be stupid and making yourself the victim of things beyond your control will do nothing other than screw up your own life. Feigning victimhood like that is disgraceful.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:19:59 AM
At 8/26/2016 3:40:19 AM, YYW wrote:
College Students, now, are bitches. They are pathetic, in a way that has become shockingly impossible to ignore. Students are increasingly seeking "help" for and having mental and emotional crises for problems associated with every day life. Students run to therapy for having too much homework, or for seeing mice in their apartments.

College students demand "trigger warnings" for things that might offend their emotional and psychological frailty. See a picture of a homeless person, or a Republican? They call this trauma, and require counseling and therapy for it. Get a bad grade on a test? No longer do students study harder, they contemplate suicide.

I understand that the world is literally burning around them. The Republican party seems out to destroy America. ISIS exists. Europe is being overran with Arabs. These are real problems, but what is the solution?

The bottom line is that colleges coddle students too much. They do too much, waste too much money, and give students too little to work with. It's time that colleges tell students to man up. The real world doesn't give a sh!t about their feelings, nor should it. College should not infantile college students more than high school, yet that is literally waht it does.

Failure is something, as well, that people need to learn to deal with. It hurts. I have failed in many things I've done and I hate it, but how failure works is that you fvck up and then you pick up the pieces and move on. You unfvck the thing you fvked up, and learn from the mistake. Colleges have to get students to realize that.

And enough of the trauma culture. Experiencing different perspectives does not cause trauma. If there is a real racist sitting next to you, get over it. This is America, and people have the right to be stupid and making yourself the victim of things beyond your control will do nothing other than screw up your own life. Feigning victimhood like that is disgraceful.

So...you're assuming all college students are this way?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:20:23 AM
As someone applying to colleges right about now, I'm a little scared :P What's causing this, in your opinion?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:23:55 AM
At 8/26/2016 4:20:23 AM, Sapphique wrote:
As someone applying to colleges right about now, I'm a little scared :P What's causing this, in your opinion?

I think there are a lot of things driving it, but all those things coalesce to form a culture of trauma and victimhood where seeing a mouse becomes a thing you have to go to counseling for and hearing a perspective different than yours becomes something that causes you psychological harm.

Of course, there is no "real" harm. It's all bullsh!t, in people's heads. That's not to discount actual psychological illness (like depression), but not getting a good grade on a test is not a reason to be depressed. If life causes you so much stress that you need counseling just to get through it, you are psyching yourself out.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:34:01 AM
College Students, now, are bitches.

So, all college students, even you?

"They are pathetic, in a way that has become shockingly impossible to ignore."

Pathetic in what way? Seems like you're calling them pathetic because they are "seeking help" in different aspects.

: " No longer do students study harder, they contemplate suicide."

Is there some sort of proof, that students who don't study, contemplate suicide instead? Because what I see, is students who don't study enough, just drop out, or go to a tutor for help.

Here, without any proof, you're saying college students who don't study enough, are weak because they "supposebly" contemplate suicide instead. Have you considered other factors that may keep them from studying? Such as having a family, low income transportation etc?

:" I understand that the world is literally burning around them. The Republican party seems out to destroy America."

Is there proof of this claim, or just some bias statement?

"They do too much, waste too much money"

Waste too much money on what exactly? Waste money on giving out grants to students who show outstanding academic achievements?
Wasting money on students who need it, and are eager to go to college?
Waisting money on students who start from nothing, and end up becoming a lawyer, or doctor?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:40:24 AM

All colleges are not that way, nor have I ever came across any college students this way, lol. But, students may vary from college, to college. For instance, in a city college, you may come across.more students like this, because in community colleges, you get people from all walks of life, and community college is less expensive than University..so, students in a city college may try to find ways to abuse to the system, whereas in a UV, you get more scholars, and serious students.

Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:57:34 AM

I think it is just that generation in general.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:05:51 AM
At 8/26/2016 4:40:24 AM, Rosalie wrote:

All colleges are not that way, nor have I ever came across any college students this way, lol. But, students may vary from college, to college. For instance, in a city college, you may come across.more students like this, because in community colleges, you get people from all walks of life, and community college is less expensive than University..so, students in a city college may try to find ways to abuse to the system, whereas in a UV, you get more scholars, and serious students.

I see. Thanks ^.^
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:05:52 AM

I go to a fairly "liberal" college. What he's saying seems to be complete nonsense.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:08:47 AM
At 8/26/2016 5:05:52 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I go to a fairly "liberal" college. What he's saying seems to be complete nonsense.
Mm...I guess people are getting more sensitive these days, but I don't think it should be as extreme as the article YYW linked states, at least not in most places.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:11:19 AM
At 8/26/2016 5:08:47 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 8/26/2016 5:05:52 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Mm...I guess people are getting more sensitive these days, but I don't think it should be as extreme as the article YYW linked states, at least not in most places.

It doesn't seem to be at all. Maybe what YYW is talking about doesn't apply to the East Coast. Although, the increase in people seeking mental help is mainly because of the transition to the service sector being the main working sector. Physical pain translating to mental pain now. But there really isn't much you can do about that. People are fragile.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:46:06 AM
At 8/26/2016 4:19:59 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Rosalie not every college student is as perfect as you

Thry are bad
Im not a Nazi
FrostyCold
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:23:06 PM

This was incredibly hilarious to read. OP.... you're just too intelligent.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 10:34:58 PM
At 8/26/2016 4:57:34 AM, Df0512 wrote:

I think it is just that generation in general.

It's not the whole generation, though it is a substantial percentage, though ironically the substance of this thread revealed two additional problems with "that" generation: (1) a tendency to misread information, and (2) an irrational disposition to react emotionally to that which was willfully distorted.
Tsar of DDO
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 11:05:39 PM

The University of Chicago did it right. No safe spaces, no trigger warnings.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 9:56:38 PM
At 8/26/2016 11:05:39 PM, Fernyx wrote:

The University of Chicago did it right. No safe spaces, no trigger warnings.

I fully agree.
Tsar of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 11:33:43 PM
I want to ask the OP just like I did the other who talked about American intelligence:

1) Did you go to a University and if so, where?

2) If you went to a University were you aware of such complaints?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 3:07:34 PM
At 8/27/2016 11:33:43 PM, Hiu wrote:
I want to ask the OP just like I did the other who talked about American intelligence:

Those are both stupid questions, and I'm not answering either.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 6:57:58 PM
Experiencing different perspectives does not cause trauma.

This.

Nietzsche should be mandatory reading in your first semester, as like an intro to learning/living. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" type of sh!t.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 7:31:11 PM
At 8/28/2016 6:57:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

This.

Nietzsche should be mandatory reading in your first semester, as like an intro to learning/living. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" type of sh!t.

I appreciate your sentiment, though I'm not sure I'd force Nietzsche on Freshmen.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:17:52 PM
At 8/28/2016 7:31:11 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/28/2016 6:57:58 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

This.

I appreciate your sentiment, though I'm not sure I'd force Nietzsche on Freshmen.

Why not? Nietzsche's accessible enough, and imo a better intro than the stuff they usually assign (e.g. Homer, Plato, etc.)
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:37:21 PM

I doubt he is. Most college students that I've met and have seen on social media have shown themselves to be utter imbeciles, lacking a capacity to understand differing opinions and the inability to properly articulate ones of their own.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 9:49:39 PM
At 8/28/2016 9:37:21 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I doubt he is. Most college students that I've met and have seen on social media have shown themselves to be utter imbeciles, lacking a capacity to understand differing opinions and the inability to properly articulate ones of their own.

When people ask stupid questions in relation to stuff I say like this, I tend to ignore them.

Rosalie's was a stupid question, and that is one of among several reasons I'm not going to answer it.
Tsar of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:17:58 AM
At 8/28/2016 3:07:34 PM, YYW wrote:

Well apparently you didn't go to a university (thus the title).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:28:35 AM
At 8/29/2016 12:17:58 AM, Hiu wrote:

How is that apparent? Do you have omniscience?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:28:45 AM

lol

Honestly, if that's the conclusion you've reached, then I'd question the quality of school you went too.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:44:39 AM

And to be completely frank, the general lack of substance, merit or value to the questions you've posited to me, and the general vacuousness that tends to characterize how you express your thoughts gives me a lot of pause with respect to my continuing to interact with you.

You've certainly made your presence known, but you do it in a way that at once reveals the extent to which your knowledge and worldview are blighted by your general lack of exposure to the outside world (beyond, for example, the context in which you grew up and the limited range of ideas you got exposed to in college elective courses), and showcases the way you overestimate what intellectually you actually bring to the table.

Like, and I don't mean this as condescendingly as it seems, but you are not my equal, intellectually, or in any other sense that matters; and the way you even asked your question for the purpose of implying subtly that you are my "superior" is comically absurd, on a level that renders your perspective one that I just can't regard with any level of seriousness. Basically, the way you speak to other people--and to me in particular--makes you come across as sort of something closer to a jester that the entirety of the site would snicker at, than someone who even has the ability to substantively advance a conversation.... though I do think that you have the "desire" to advance conversations, which really just makes interaction with you an exercise in pity more than anything else.

You're not really a normal person, and you don't relate to other people in normal ways. I don't especially know or care what your background "is" though I do know with certainty what it is not, and what it is not is anything that would even remotely equip you to keep up with me, or, frankly, most other people on this forum, even the kids here. But perhaps you're just not good at expressing yourself in written words? Idk... writing isn't your strongest suit, though realize that the way I see you is decidedly not positive, and if you want me to ever respect anything you have to say, you would be well advised to reconsider how you speak to me and to others.
Tsar of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 5:30:03 AM
At 8/29/2016 1:28:45 AM, YYW wrote:

lol

Honestly, if that's the conclusion you've reached, then I'd question the quality of school you went too.

Your entire thread is illogically presumptuous.