Jump to topic:

Disney Channel makes fun of Mental Diseases

Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 12:26:21 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Creepy Connie in Jessie. Dez and Naldo(who are basically the same person, anyway) on Austin and Ally and Best Friends Whenever, respectively. PJ Duncan on Good Luck Charlie. They all seem to need some serious mental health. It's not okay to make fun of mental illness in any other situation, so why does Disney channel do it all the time with these characters? Even Girl Meets World, which managed to give a character (Isodora Smackle) Asperger's Syndrome and handle it maturely instead of making jokes out of it, pokes fun at depression when Riley turns into "Morotia M. Black".
Why is this okay? Kids watch this show, do we want to teach them that mental illness is something to laugh about?

Okay I'm done ranting now. Have a nice day!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 1:42:23 PM
At 8/27/2016 12:26:21 AM, Godgirl wrote:
Creepy Connie in Jessie. Dez and Naldo(who are basically the same person, anyway) on Austin and Ally and Best Friends Whenever, respectively. PJ Duncan on Good Luck Charlie. They all seem to need some serious mental health. It's not okay to make fun of mental illness in any other situation, so why does Disney channel do it all the time with these characters? Even Girl Meets World, which managed to give a character (Isodora Smackle) Asperger's Syndrome and handle it maturely instead of making jokes out of it, pokes fun at depression when Riley turns into "Morotia M. Black".
Why is this okay? Kids watch this show, do we want to teach them that mental illness is something to laugh about?
yes

You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 2:29:36 PM
At 8/27/2016 1:42:23 PM, Vaarka wrote:
yes
Screw you

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 12:57:37 AM
At 8/27/2016 2:29:36 PM, Godgirl wrote:
yes
Screw you
('twas a joke)

You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:27:49 AM
At 8/29/2016 12:57:37 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/27/2016 2:29:36 PM, Godgirl wrote:
yes
Screw you
('twas a joke)
I know, I was joking, too (about the screw you thing, not the OP)

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 4:22:47 AM
Creepy Connie in Jessie. Dez and Naldo(who are basically the same person, anyway) on Austin and Ally and Best Friends Whenever, respectively. PJ Duncan on Good Luck Charlie. They all seem to need some serious mental health.
No, they're just exaggerated personalities. This happens on nearly every TV show. I remember reading somewhere where people were equating winnie the pooh as making fun of disorders because of the animals' personalities.

Personalities of characters on TV are always exaggerated to the point where it could be considered a mental disorder in real life. Deal with it, it's called humor. Nobody wants to see something extremely realistic on TV, they want to see an exaggerated version of the real world.

It's not okay to make fun of mental illness in any other situation, so why does Disney channel do it all the time with these characters? Even Girl Meets World, which managed to give a character (Isodora Smackle) Asperger's Syndrome and handle it maturely instead of making jokes out of it, pokes fun at depression when Riley turns into "Morotia M. Black".
-facepalm-

Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 10:49:49 AM
At 8/29/2016 4:22:47 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Creepy Connie in Jessie. Dez and Naldo(who are basically the same person, anyway) on Austin and Ally and Best Friends Whenever, respectively. PJ Duncan on Good Luck Charlie. They all seem to need some serious mental health.
No, they're just exaggerated personalities. This happens on nearly every TV show. I remember reading somewhere where people were equating winnie the pooh as making fun of disorders because of the animals' personalities.
Okay, I think you're right. I overreacted.
Personalities of characters on TV are always exaggerated to the point where it could be considered a mental disorder in real life. Deal with it, it's called humor. Nobody wants to see something extremely realistic on TV, they want to see an exaggerated version of the real world.

It's not okay to make fun of mental illness in any other situation, so why does Disney channel do it all the time with these characters? Even Girl Meets World, which managed to give a character (Isodora Smackle) Asperger's Syndrome and handle it maturely instead of making jokes out of it, pokes fun at depression when Riley turns into "Morotia M. Black".
-facepalm-