Meritocracy does not exists...

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 11:47:43 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Can we discuss this epidemic?

Considering the fact that in the job world the common saying is "it aint what you know, it is who you know..." Can we finally stop saying its about merit?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:28:33 AM
At 8/27/2016 11:47:43 PM, Hiu wrote:

Considering the fact that in the job world the common saying is "it aint what you know, it is who you know..." Can we finally stop saying its about merit?

I agree with the general sentiment, yeah. I think that weighting merit is highly desirable, but we will never have a fully merit-based system because we're human, and there will always be a social element.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:47:01 AM
At 8/28/2016 12:28:33 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I agree with the general sentiment, yeah. I think that weighting merit is highly desirable, but we will never have a fully merit-based system because we're human, and there will always be a social element.

So the question I have to ask you is what do we do about it?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:03:45 AM
At 8/28/2016 12:47:01 AM, Hiu wrote:

There's nothing to do about it. You can't make angels out of men. If you're talking about groups that fall on the wrong side of this, the best thing that they can do, imo, is to focus on building their own communities, Black Panther-style. Or focus on pure merit and hope for individual success which feeds back into your community through social institutions of which you are a part.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 5:55:05 AM
At 8/28/2016 1:03:45 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

There's nothing to do about it. You can't make angels out of men. If you're talking about groups that fall on the wrong side of this, the best thing that they can do, imo, is to focus on building their own communities, Black Panther-style. Or focus on pure merit and hope for individual success which feeds back into your community through social institutions of which you are a part.

When I was referring to merit, I was referring to obtaining jobs.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 6:18:19 AM
At 8/28/2016 5:55:05 AM, Hiu wrote:
At 8/28/2016 1:03:45 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

When I was referring to merit, I was referring to obtaining jobs.

It still applies. Focus on personal merit and reinvest what you reap back within your own community to the point where those communities which are disadvantaged can found their own businesses and further bolster their strengths.

I think that this is difficult if social institutions are in shambles within your communities, so the first step may be rebuilding churches and other community centers which pool resources and influence. Western society in general, especially for the poor, is in sad shape when it comes to these sort of social mechanics.
- Hilaire Belloc -