Jump to topic:

Are you a misogynist? The test.

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 9:52:02 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Do you think it's acceptable for an employer to choose a less qualified man for job over a more qualified woman?

Do you think it's reasonable for an employer to pay a male employee more money than a female employee for doing identical work?

Do you think it's acceptable for an employer to make it mandatory for female employees to abide to certain dress standards such as wearing high heels or skirts but not enforce these same standards on male employees?

In a heterosexual relationship do you think it's always the responsibility of the woman to do all of the cooking and cleaning?

Do you think it's a man's right to have sex with his wife whenever he wants after she agrees to marry him?

Do you think women should be excluded from the military even if they meet all of the standards of performance and capability men are required to meet?

Do you think a woman should always listen to her husband and take a submissive role in a relationship?

Do you think a woman should always change her surname to that of her husband upon getting married?

Do you think that children should always be given the surname of their father?

Do you think that married women should be expected to wear a wedding ring?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 10:11:34 PM
At 8/29/2016 9:52:02 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
Do you think it's acceptable for an employer to choose a less qualified man for job over a more qualified woman?
No
Do you think it's reasonable for an employer to pay a male employee more money than a female employee for doing identical work?
No
Do you think it's acceptable for an employer to make it mandatory for female employees to abide to certain dress standards such as wearing high heels or skirts but not enforce these same standards on male employees?
Don't care
In a heterosexual relationship do you think it's always the responsibility of the woman to do all of the cooking and cleaning?
No
Do you think it's a man's right to have sex with his wife whenever he wants after she agrees to marry him?
No
Do you think women should be excluded from the military even if they meet all of the standards of performance and capability men are required to meet?
Not entirely
Do you think a woman should always listen to her husband and take a submissive role in a relationship?
No
Do you think a woman should always change her surname to that of her husband upon getting married?
Don't care
Don't care
Yes, and so should men

What's my score?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 10:26:11 PM

No and to boot it is bad business. You put in the people who will make you the most money. There are some exceptions, of course, where gender is a qualifying trait. I would definitely hire a less qualified female than male, if I were hiring at a breastaurant. However, that does raise the perspective question of whether such restaurant concepts are themselves misogyinistic.

No

There of course are going to be clothing that is typically applicable to gender. In a general sense the answer is no, however in a formal business setting I would not allow men to wear skirts and thus require pantyhose unless they are truely transgender and trying to dress the gender of their identity. I definitely would not force woment to wear skirts or high heels.

No

No

No

No

No. However one needs to question hyphenation.

No

No
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 11:10:35 PM
No
No
No
No
No
No
Yes to listening, because communication is important in a relationship. The man should also listen to his wife. No to submitting.
No
No
Yes
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 11:35:20 PM

no

no

no

no

no

no

yes.

yes

if married: yes
if not married: no

yes
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 11:45:31 PM
no

no

don't care

no

no

It depends. I'd say yes if the woman was married with young kids, especially if the husband was already enlisting

eh

sure

yes

yes
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 12:50:19 AM

I think that anyone who thinks that hiring decisions turn only on qualifications is incompetent to assess anything related to business.

I think this question misses the point. "Identical work" is almost never proven in any "glass ceiling" argument.

Yes, just like it's reasonable for an employer to expect that men shave every day, keep their hair off their ears, wear polished shoes, refrain from wearing offensive cologne, etc.

That depends on what people agree too. Part of maintaining a stable relationship is apportioning household responsibility, and women often get the easier end of the stick.

Would you rather mow the grass, clean the gutters, and sweep the chimney, or do the cooking and cleaning inside?

Of course not, and civilized people don't think so either. This is not a question that is reflective of modern Western gender norms.

No. In fact I think they should be drafted alongside men.

I think that part of being in a relationship is listening to the person you're in a relationship with and that applies to both men and women.

I don't care about this. It is a non-issue.

I don't care about this, either. It's a non-point.

Personally, even when I'm married, I don't expect to wear a wedding ring. If people want rings, then let them wear rings. If not, then not. This is something I don't care about either.
Jackie_Hi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 1:10:01 AM
No

No

No

No

No

No

Depends on their personalities

No

Yes if married.

Yes
I like money.
-Mr. Krabs
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 1:19:38 AM
No.

No.

No.

No. However, if the woman wants to do the cooking, cleaning, or other homemaking duties, I don't think that she should be stopped from doing that.

No. The same thing goes for women. Sex should be agreed upon rather than forced on someone. It doesn't matter if the two parties in question are married or not.

No. However, I do believe that men are more qualified to do military combat positions than women for the simple fact that the average man is stronger than the average woman. If a woman can meet those requirements, then they should be allowed the same position as a man.

No. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being submissive in a relationship, but women shouldn't be expected to take that role just because of their gender. I have a similar stance on this and the question on house work: if the woman wants to be submissive in w relationship, then nothing should stop her. If she wants to be dominant, that's great too.

No.

If the mother would prefer the child's last name to be her own, then I see no problem with it.

If they don't want to wear a wedding ring, that's their choice.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 1:41:13 AM

No.

If "identical" also means equal quality, then no, it isn't reasonable.

No.

No.

No, nor vice versa.

No, that would be an instance of gross inefficiency. Even if I were a sexist I wouldn't support that.

No, nor vice versa.

No.

Not necessarily.

No, nor vice versa, though I don't see how that's an instance of sexism or has anything to do with sexism. Expectation to wear a wedding ring is irrespective of gender in most cultures.

I will note that many of your questions could be interpreted "vice versa" as well, so this is a fundamental misunderstanding -- it seems to me -- of how sexism works. Sexism harms some men and some women because it places different expectations to them. A working woman might be taboo in one society, but the same society probably also taboos a man who doesn't work.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 2:08:15 AM
No.
Yes, as long as the employer does so because of one employee being more productive or some other justifiable reason.
Yes.
No.
No.
No.
No.
I really don't care, but it's a harmless tradition, so why bother changing it?
It depends.
Yes.
I don't have a signature. :-)
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 2:21:45 AM

No

No

I'm not a fan of "strict" dress codes in general.

No

No

No

No.

That's their choice. I prefer matrilineal marriages, but whatevs.

That's their choice. I prefer matrilineal marriages, but whatevs.

That's their choice.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 2:49:10 AM
At 8/30/2016 12:52:39 AM, YYW wrote:
Also, the OP sounds like a feminazi.

IS a feminazi.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:15:31 AM
At 8/30/2016 2:49:10 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

IS a feminazi.

Pretty much
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:16:56 AM

No

Assuming that literally the only relevant difference between the two workers is gender, no

Wait, you're suggesting that men be made to wear high heels and short skirts?

Assuming that the husband is the breadwinner and that his responsibilities are equally laborious as those of his wife, it should be, though I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the husband to help out around the house somewhat.

No, and he has no right to rape her, but if a wife *never* or very rarely has sex with her husband (who wants it much more frequently), barring some compelling excuse (such as sex being painful), it'd be quite selfish of her and her actions should be seen as unreasonable by her peers.

Not excluded, but I don't think that women should serve in the military. Considering that women don't generally have the "love of war" that men do, and that war involves getting shot at, I don't see why women find this unfair.

Provided that he is fulfilling his responsibilities as a husband and providing for her physical and emotional needs, yes. That being said, "always" seems like a bit much. More like "usually", or "most of the time".

Yes.

Yes.

Uh, yeah, but so should men.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:21:19 AM
A prerequisite for male dominance is that he's doing over 50% of all the work divided between the husband and the wife that the family needs done (I.e. making money, housework, etc). If he does this, then he has a right to be the dominant partner (within reason). A lazy husband has no right to dominance.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:41:20 AM

I'm forever accused of misogyny. According to your test I am not guilty. Now I am instead confused.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 3:55:58 AM

The employer can choose whomever he or she wants.

Identical as in? They both produce the same amount of product? Or they fulfill the same role as a part of a company?

Once again, the worker is working voluntarily. The business can't force her to work. So yes. Willing to explain this if you don't understand how labor is traded voluntarily.

No, obviously not. That is to be worked out by the couple.

No. Sex ought to be voluntary by both parties.

Yes, from certain positions.

Both parties should always listen to each other. What is this question?

Yes.

If they are married, yes. If the child is born outside a marriage, that should be decided by who is taking care of the child.

Yes, and so should men. It is a sign of a everlasting relationship on earth. You shouldn't be ashamed of it, that's for sure.

So, how do I score on your political correctness scale? :)
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 4:32:10 AM
At 8/30/2016 3:15:31 AM, YYW wrote:

IS a feminazi.

Pretty much

This moron said the Olympics are sexist because there's a difference in sports choice between men and women.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 4:36:50 AM
no
no, but no two people ever do identical work.
no, what men wear high heels or skirts though?
no
no
no
no
doesn't matter
doesn't matter
doesn't matter

How much of a misogynist am I?

https://pbs.twimg.com...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 5:42:17 AM
This is a terrible test
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 5:42:51 AM
At 8/30/2016 4:32:10 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

IS a feminazi.

Pretty much

This moron said the Olympics are sexist because there's a difference in sports choice between men and women.

Yeah, it's concluded that she is a feminazi.

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:02:15 AM

Gonna try this out because I've been told by a few feminists before, that I have "internalized misogyny".

After an overview of these questions: most of them don't demonstrate someone's misogyny whatsoever. This isn't an "are you a misogynist?" test, but an opinion test. Just because in some cases I agree with the question, doesn't mean I'm a misogynist.

No.

Depends. Some people know how to negotiate for raises, so they obtain them. If you mean in the context of being paid less due to gender discrimination, then no, and this is also illegal in most countries.

I'd say yes. You can't expect the employer to give men and women the same dress code standards, like for example making them both wear makeup, or making them both wear heels. Giving them both appropriate dress codes, according to their gender, isn't a bad thing.

No. Both should contribute, but the person who works less/is less busy, should possibly contribute more (no matter what their gender is).

No and women shouldn't feel entitled to sex from their husbands either. I've read many cases in which women almost force their husbands to pretty much have sex with them.

No, if they truly do meet the necessary standards. Also, if men have to be drafted, so should women.

Yes and no. Both the man and the woman should listen to each other according to the different situation they're in. Women shouldn't have a submissive role in the relationship, but being in a relationship and listening to one another, is important.

No, it should be her choice.

No. I personally am of the opinion that they get both surnames, unless one of the parents is absent. I think that's the fairest thing to do. This is coming from a person that has been directly affected by this, which is why I have this opinion.

Yes, and so should married men.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 12:09:06 PM

Depends on the job.

Yes.

This requires a bit more fleshing out, but men wearing high heels and skirts might detract from the business.

No.

No.

Yes, at least for active combat roles.

This is a compounded question. It needs to be broken up. Yes, a woman should always listen to her husband, however "take a submissive role" should be a separate yes or no, which would to me, be a "no", though this question too needs fleshing out. 'always' is a pain.

no.

I would be inclined to say yes.

Yes.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 1:19:30 PM

The second one is based off the wage gap I assume, which is proven false, the others I don't agree with but I also wouldn't say they are common outside of jokes.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 6:54:05 PM

IS a feminazi.

Pretty much

Believes in a wage gap and takes people serious when they say 'stay in the kitchen', enough evidence for me.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 7:10:34 PM
A misogynist could theoretically answer no to all these questions and still be a misogynist. Not a great test.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 7:23:11 PM
At 8/29/2016 10:11:34 PM, someloser wrote:
No
No
Don't care

It's a bit of a pain if your a woman and you have to spend all day on your feet in high heels while male colleagues get to wear flat shoes. Why not give women the option to wear flat shoes and trousers?

No
No
Not entirely

In what circumstances would you exclude them, if at all?

No
Don't care

Don't care
Yes, and so should men

What's my score?

Our only area of disagreement appears to be the question on the military so 9/10.