Jump to topic:

Let's discuss racism

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:20:52 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I would hope the moderators would make this a sticky thread considering the amount of threads that tend to pop up in this particular section which discusses BLM, racism, why blacks are thugs etc.......To deter future threads concerning skin color or why people act the way they act of a particular ethnic group etc. To start off this thread, I'm not going to use some google inspired definition on what racism is, as I believe we all know the current definition of racism. If you truly must have a definition see:https://en.wikipedia.org...

My main question I would ask in relation to the topic is, "are you racially prejudice?" Going first in answering this I personally would say yes and no. Yes in the sense that when it comes to discussing culture, or using language that is specific to my culture I would not prefer to discuss with any other member of an outgroup. I believe certain experiences are specific to certain cultures. For example I would continuously use the phrase "ese" when referencing another latino, or cuz or blood to another black as one relates to the common phrase used among latinos while the other is used as a common phrase among gang members.

No. Because my minute reasons does not impede my dealings with people everyday, and how I see people. But do my experiences as a black man kinda make me cringe when I encounter racism? Yes. But let's be honest here people, there is an unfortunate reality that a large portion of the Caucasian population in the United States and even abroad do exhibit a large portion of racist behavior. This is not to say all do, but since some people like to use FBI statistics regarding black on black crime and such let's be honest and say that due to the Caucasian population being the largest group in this country, and not to mention the residual effects of systemic racism, a lot of racism that is exhibited especially online, does come from a lot of whites.

For example, I don't know of any other ethnic group in the United States that spends its time creating hate filled websites that is geared towards members of various ethnic groups. Sure, you may point out one or two ethnic hate groups, but I can name several websites from among the Caucasian demographic that exhibits hate speech. If it wasn't my job wouldn't be blocking the websites and deeming it as hate speech.

I find it also sad that in seeing the type of racist rhetoric, there aren't enough other level headed white people that intervene and say anything and just chalk it up as trolling. If such were true, then I guess a lot of whites have trolled me all my life. It is one thing to chalk something up as ignorant and empty rhetoric, but its another to see a constant and do nothing especially if its something that has effected U.S. society since its creation.

Ignoring cancer does not make cancer go away, it become a growing problem until it spreads to vital areas of society. Another issue is historical racism. Are there blacks, asians, latinos and other members of other ethnic groups that are racist? Yes. But for some, their racism is not exhibited by power, it is more of a reactionary behavior, a symptom of collective experiences by members of an ethnic group. Does it make it right? No. but one must understand that many people of color have experience this daily.

For example in the recent media coverage of Colin Kaepernick and his views on not standing for the American flag. Many people took to social media to talk negatively about him, but it was not so much as the rhetoric of calling Kepernick unpatriotic (which makes no sense to me) but its the fact that people called him a "N*gger or told him to "go back to Africa." Regarding the last, I find the irony of being born in a land but being told to go back to a place to which I've never been and never have been birthed. The responses made towards Kaepernick is the very same reason why this topic must be discussed.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:20:38 AM
At 8/30/2016 9:20:52 PM, Hiu wrote:
I would hope the moderators would make this a sticky thread considering the amount of threads that tend to pop up in this particular section which discusses BLM, racism, why blacks are thugs etc.......To deter future threads concerning skin color or why people act the way they act of a particular ethnic group etc. To start off this thread, I'm not going to use some google inspired definition on what racism is, as I believe we all know the current definition of racism. If you truly must have a definition see:https://en.wikipedia.org...

My main question I would ask in relation to the topic is, "are you racially prejudice?" Going first in answering this I personally would say yes and no. Yes in the sense that when it comes to discussing culture, or using language that is specific to my culture I would not prefer to discuss with any other member of an outgroup. I believe certain experiences are specific to certain cultures. For example I would continuously use the phrase "ese" when referencing another latino, or cuz or blood to another black as one relates to the common phrase used among latinos while the other is used as a common phrase among gang members.

No. Because my minute reasons does not impede my dealings with people everyday, and how I see people. But do my experiences as a black man kinda make me cringe when I encounter racism? Yes. But let's be honest here people, there is an unfortunate reality that a large portion of the Caucasian population in the United States and even abroad do exhibit a large portion of racist behavior. This is not to say all do, but since some people like to use FBI statistics regarding black on black crime and such let's be honest and say that due to the Caucasian population being the largest group in this country, and not to mention the residual effects of systemic racism, a lot of racism that is exhibited especially online, does come from a lot of whites.

For example, I don't know of any other ethnic group in the United States that spends its time creating hate filled websites that is geared towards members of various ethnic groups. Sure, you may point out one or two ethnic hate groups, but I can name several websites from among the Caucasian demographic that exhibits hate speech. If it wasn't my job wouldn't be blocking the websites and deeming it as hate speech.

I find it also sad that in seeing the type of racist rhetoric, there aren't enough other level headed white people that intervene and say anything and just chalk it up as trolling. If such were true, then I guess a lot of whites have trolled me all my life. It is one thing to chalk something up as ignorant and empty rhetoric, but its another to see a constant and do nothing especially if its something that has effected U.S. society since its creation.

Ignoring cancer does not make cancer go away, it become a growing problem until it spreads to vital areas of society. Another issue is historical racism. Are there blacks, asians, latinos and other members of other ethnic groups that are racist? Yes. But for some, their racism is not exhibited by power, it is more of a reactionary behavior, a symptom of collective experiences by members of an ethnic group. Does it make it right? No. but one must understand that many people of color have experience this daily.

For example in the recent media coverage of Colin Kaepernick and his views on not standing for the American flag. Many people took to social media to talk negatively about him, but it was not so much as the rhetoric of calling Kepernick unpatriotic (which makes no sense to me) but its the fact that people called him a "N*gger or told him to "go back to Africa." Regarding the last, I find the irony of being born in a land but being told to go back to a place to which I've never been and never have been birthed. The responses made towards Kaepernick is the very same reason why this topic must be discussed.

First I want to ask, are you saying minorities cannot be racist because they are not in power? Second, are you okay with people calling Jerry Rice a coon far more often than racial rhetoric targeted at Kaepernick? Last, do you think that police brutality is a uniquely black issue?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:05:36 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:20:38 AM, Fernyx wrote:

First I want to ask, are you saying minorities cannot be racist because they are not in power? Second, are you okay with people calling Jerry Rice a coon far more often than racial rhetoric targeted at Kaepernick? Last, do you think that police brutality is a uniquely black issue?

You asked a loaded question so I will respond numerically:

First question........

You said:" First I want to ask, are you saying minorities cannot be racist because they are not in power?"

I never said minorities cannot be racist as I clearly said in question form (and I imperfectly quote myself) "can minorities be racist?" I then afterward said yes. I furthermore followed this up by saying that the exhibiting of racist tendencies among minorities is the result of being in a system to which historically they have had no power. If we look at the evolution of U.S. history people of color and most specifically black people, did not have power. Civil rights gained ground only by working through an unfair system and imbuing people with the courage to dare challenge the constitution when it came to the unfair treatment of black Americans.

The resentment that some see from within some of the black communities across the U.S. is the residual effect of generational racism that has been experienced. There is no spontaneous hatred without a cause and many of the racist attitudes exhibited not just by blacks, but by other persons of color is caused by the residual effects of maltreatment by the larger demographic that has power. By power I'm not referring to just who has the most money, I'm referring to policy makers, legislators, mayors, police etc...Any entity that is corruptible, and has the ability to make policies and procedures.

Second question....

You said:

"Second, are you okay with people calling Jerry Rice a coon far more often than racial rhetoric targeted at Kaepernick? "

My question to you is what is "far more often?" Are you on specific media sites or are you all over? The reason I ask is because if you check Twitter (I don't but I have friends who use twitter and post responses on my facebook) I see a lot of hate coming from the Caucasian demographic. Now, with respect to what Jerry Rice saying "All Lives Matter" and telling Kaepernick to respect the flag, I think Mr. Rice's comments are misplaced considering Kaepernick's stance wasn't even about the flag, or whites, or military personnel, it was about the current situation going on in our society. Am I okay with people calling Rice a "coon" for his comments? Well, I don't like the phrase coon to begin with and am I okay that people are making an opinion about Rice's comments? No. But I respect Jerry Rice and his stance and like Kaepernick, he has every right to voice his disapproval.

Third Question.....

You said:

"Last, do you think that police brutality is a uniquely black issue?"

This is actually a good question.

Whenever it comes to police brutality in relation to the African-American community we must not look at today's incidents with Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Eric Garner et al we need to look at past events that evolved into what it is today. Again, the relationship between the African-American community did not happen with Michael Brown's death, the evolution of the relationship between cops and African-Americans have be tumultuous since my grand parents, parents time. So when we consider the relationship between police brutality we need to consider the history not just the current events. Now, do police specifically target blacks? No. I believe a lot of people in impoverished communities have their run-ins with law enforcement.

But I do believe that certain police departments across the United States do specifically target black communities for non-violent offenses to boost statistics along with funding for non-violent offenses.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:13:40 PM
The athlete, Colin K, or whatever his name is, did a stupid thing. However, he's an athlete. So, I don't especially give a fvck what he thinks.
Tsar of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:31:22 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:13:40 PM, YYW wrote:
The athlete, Colin K, or whatever his name is, did a stupid thing. However, he's an athlete. So, I don't especially give a fvck what he thinks.

Smart guy...What is stupid about standing up for what you believe in? There are plenty stupid things (you among them) but hardly standing up for what you believe in which has been the foundation of this country is what makes a U.S. American, an American.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:36:37 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:31:22 PM, Hiu wrote:

Smart guy...What is stupid about standing up for what you believe in? There are plenty stupid things (you among them) but hardly standing up for what you believe in which has been the foundation of this country is what makes a U.S. American, an American.

This is embarrassing for you.
Tsar of DDO
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:43:14 PM
At 8/31/2016 9:36:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/31/2016 9:31:22 PM, Hiu wrote:

This is embarrassing for you.

Not really...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:11:04 PM

My main question I would ask in relation to the topic is, "are you racially prejudice(d)?"

before answering your question, do you think actual racism is rooted in biology or culture?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 4:08:47 AM

you dindu nuffin, amirite?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 8:17:01 AM
I think that 'racism' in the sense of 'ethnic in-group preference' is as old as history, is largely due to human nature, and isn't something that could or should be eradicated. However, there is also a form of 'colorism' which can trace its advent to relatively recent times (last few centuries). This is the idea that human worth is tied to skin color, and is a strong subconscious bias with little utility for those who hold it. It was originally cultivated to divide the exploited lower classes, and it is still exploited for that purpose to this present day. One of the biggest problems with a lot of civil rights movements has been their conflation of the two, which leads to internal contradictions and fosters unnecessary animosity. White people being more comfortable around white people isn't 'racist' in the pernicious, structural sense, just as black people being more comfortable around black people and Russians being more comfortable around Russians aren't aspects of an oppressive structure.

As far as differences between races, like any difference it's a mix of nature and nurture, though I think that nurture has much more to do with it. As an example, African immigrants are in many ways a model minority, and IQ drops precipitously in the inner cities for both black and whites. I think that a huge amount of the anecdotal intelligence differences can be chalked up to the collapse of social institutions which are meant to cultivate both virtue and intelligence in children. For blacks in the US, that has usually meant the family, black churches, and HBCs. What we're seeing today is a breakup of the black family, a corrosion of black religiosity, and more reliance on a public school system which is incentivized to fraudulently pass students, and which has little chance of helping the students in light of surrounding social ills in any case. These same corrosive influences are affecting whites, but affluence insulates in this respect, and the higher rates of black poverty mean that black people face disproportionate cultural degradation.

Overall, I'm pretty pessimistic about it all. The answer isn't happy-clappy care bear fagottry, and it isn't 'dindus are dumb, round them up.' It's something more complicated that will involve going against the grain of society to address, and the black and white communities can't do it by 'helping one another', because that's disingenuous. There's a reason that the typical bleeding-heart liberal lives in a lily-white enclave: their care for black people is skin deep, for to truly effectively advocate for any sense of justice means to advocate against their own social group (some sense of redistribution), and I don't think that those sorts of measures can be justified by the practical, sterile secular politics of the bourgeois Left. It's a battle that needs to be fought on spiritual, not temporal, terms, and it's one which both poor blacks and whites need to fight on their own, because the extent to which they allow those who benefit from the status quo to influence the discussion is the extent to which they invite subversion. And, well, that's why colorism still exists. As it stands, the affluent white community can infiltrate black reform-minded movements while denigrating and shutting out poor whites from their own Elysian bubble, and they then keep the oppressed at one another's throats while maintaining their own immense social and economic privileges. Both 'unworthy' classes continue to decline into decadence, which further guts their ability to make a principled stand and deracinates each of them as a people. Both groups have the makings of antagonistic, permanent underclasses to them if nothing changes.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Beisht_Kione
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:22:02 AM
Just a quick clarifying question. Is racism equally bad as it shifts from race to race?
For example, do you find it equally bad for a white person to call a black person a n*gger as it is for a black person to call a white a cr*cker(or any other racial slur for that matter)?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:09:30 AM
At 8/31/2016 11:11:04 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

My main question I would ask in relation to the topic is, "are you racially prejudice(d)?"

before answering your question, do you think actual racism is rooted in biology or culture?

Racism is a construction...Natrual tribalism (meaning the mindset of wanting to be with ones own tribe) is different than setting up a system based on phenotype.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:11:03 AM
At 9/1/2016 4:08:47 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Don't you have meth to smoke?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:13:54 AM
At 9/3/2016 4:22:02 AM, Beisht_Kione wrote:
Just a quick clarifying question. Is racism equally bad as it shifts from race to race?
For example, do you find it equally bad for a white person to call a black person a n*gger as it is for a black person to call a white a cr*cker(or any other racial slur for that matter)?

Good question.

Yes and no....

yes in the sense that nobody should use pejoratives towards another individual, however no, because N*gger has a history like cracker however when we are talking about domanice, N*gger was used to not only dehumanize black people but entangle them in an inferiority complex.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:34:28 AM
At 9/3/2016 8:09:30 AM, Hiu wrote:

Racism is a construction...Natural tribalism (meaning the mindset of wanting to be with one's own tribe) is different than setting up a system based on phenotype.

That was not an answer...
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:05:33 AM
At 9/3/2016 8:34:28 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Racism is a construction...Natural tribalism (meaning the mindset of wanting to be with one's own tribe) is different than setting up a system based on phenotype.

That was but to answer your question directly no...it is not. Racism is learned
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:28:24 AM
At 9/3/2016 11:05:33 AM, Hiu wrote:

So racism is neither biological nor cultural. Interesting.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:32:49 AM
At 9/3/2016 11:28:24 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:05:33 AM, Hiu wrote:

So racism is neither biological nor cultural. Interesting.

Excuse me...I was answering regarding biology...No in that specific instance no its not biology...Cultural? It depends again like I said its learned..
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:07:14 PM
At 9/3/2016 8:11:03 AM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/1/2016 4:08:47 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Don't you have meth to smoke?

How much nuffin did a dindu do if a dindu dindu nuffin?
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:03:55 PM
My main question I would ask in relation to the topic is, "are you racially prejudice?"
What you missed in your definition regarded the anthropological distinction between race and ethnicity. There are but four races in the world: Caucasian, (sub-Saharan) African, Asian, and mixed. For example, Jews and Arabs are Caucasians -- but many (unconsciously) stick to the Nazi delusion that only Aryans and Germanic peoples are white/Caucasian. Those who believe this are by definition racists as they undertake an unscientific demarcation to promote themselves as a superior race.

Beyond the racist ideologues there are those who implant specific characteristics for Caucasians, Asians or sub-Saharan Africans by default. Denoting either race by color is also not without controversy, as kaiser Wilhelm feared a "yellow peril" following the demographic explosion in late 19th century Asia. Whereas a fear of invasion is completely rational, the kaiser was not. He saw in the other a grotesque phantom, inherently evil, and not a fellow human.

Lastly, there is also a structural dimension, which regards racially-motivated, hidden discrimination. This is the aspect that is most difficult to address because it is the one most difficult to prove, as exclusion may be caused by any number of reasons. It is therefore prone to conflicting interpretations. Laws and practices have been put in place to counter it -- e.g., affirmative action in schooling, housing, etc. -- but they have created a culture of misuse ("pulling the race card") that has poisoned the well.

In sum, these are the three dimensions:
1. The ideology of racial inequality/supremacy.
2. The attachment of inherent characteristics and dehumanizing derision.
3. Structural discrimination motivated by racial prejudice and bias for the sake of exclusion.

Reasonable people can agree on the first two as evidence of racism. But the third category leads us down a path of infinite regress, as we will likely never agree on what constitutes racial bias as opposed to circumstance.
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:44:34 PM
Racism.

I am currently in a country where it is completely legal and considered quite normal for places of business to disallow people service just because of the color of their skin. I've experienced this firsthand while out in town with buddies that happened to be black or asian (I'm white, in case you were wondering. You probably were, you racist!) This is something that would never happen in the U.S. This is actual racism that is happening today in 2016 in the real word, not some internet trolls posting racist comments and making retarded websites.

Do people talk about this country or others when discussing racism? Of course not. They talk about the U.S.

Is the U.S. perfect? No. But when it comes to accusations of racism the U.S. recieves a vastly disproportionate amount of critisism compared to the actual amount of racism its citizens exhibit. Why?

I think the reason for this is that people within the states are raised with the American ideal of equality, a high standard, a very high standard which admittedly the citizens of the U.S. have not completely lived up to. The gap between the American ideal of equality and the reality of equality in America is so large not because Americans are exceptionally racist, but because the ideal is so high. These people then go on the internet telling the world how incredibly racist the U.S. is, and people who have never been to the U.S. naturally believe it because they have never been to the U.S.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^