Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Discrimination against men

foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Throwback
Posts: 421
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:37:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

I have never been outside the United States. I can only comment from experience and knowledge on this country-you are absolutely right about the 'plight' of women here. Although as a male I don't quite feel put upon. Maybe its just because I don't really care if I'm discriminated against or not.

I have learned from the experience of others that there are places where it is horrific to be a female. I really feel the adult males (they're not men) in those places should be wiped from the earth by powerful free nations like mine.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:03:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 5:37:47 PM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

I have never been outside the United States. I can only comment from experience and knowledge on this country-you are absolutely right about the 'plight' of women here. Although as a male I don't quite feel put upon. Maybe its just because I don't really care if I'm discriminated against or not.

Most of these issues don't affect most in general I suppose but there still should be awareness about them. Women in places like the US, probably live more comfortably than men there, yet most still are saying that women deserve equal rights, even though there are a bunch of laws against discrimination against women.

I have learned from the experience of others that there are places where it is horrific to be a female. I really feel the adult males (they're not men) in those places should be wiped from the earth by powerful free nations like mine.

There definitely are horrible places to be a woman but I wouldn't consider first world countries to be those. I haven't heard a single third wave feminists mention them once though, and even if they did, it's not like they're doing anything to help them (it's not like they really are able to, in most cases anyway).
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Fernyx
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:05:51 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Well what, do you expect feminists to care, Jess Phillips laughed at a day to talk about this. People will never care because they went to school for 10k a year to learn how oppressed they are. The only thing those classes are good for is protesting, so they literally can't do anything else or they will realize the money and time was a waste.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:13:56 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:05:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Well what, do you expect feminists to care, Jess Phillips laughed at a day to talk about this. People will never care because they went to school for 10k a year to learn how oppressed they are. The only thing those classes are good for is protesting, so they literally can't do anything else or they will realize the money and time was a waste.

I don't know who Jess Phillips is. When you speak of "classes", are you talking about gender/women studies majors?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Fernyx
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:19:50 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:13:56 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:05:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Well what, do you expect feminists to care, Jess Phillips laughed at a day to talk about this. People will never care because they went to school for 10k a year to learn how oppressed they are. The only thing those classes are good for is protesting, so they literally can't do anything else or they will realize the money and time was a waste.

I don't know who Jess Phillips is. When you speak of "classes", are you talking about gender/women studies majors?

Jess Phillips is a Labor Party MP in Britain. Yes by classes I'm talking about gender/women's studies.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:26:11 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:19:50 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:13:56 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:05:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Well what, do you expect feminists to care, Jess Phillips laughed at a day to talk about this. People will never care because they went to school for 10k a year to learn how oppressed they are. The only thing those classes are good for is protesting, so they literally can't do anything else or they will realize the money and time was a waste.

I don't know who Jess Phillips is. When you speak of "classes", are you talking about gender/women studies majors?

Jess Phillips is a Labor Party MP in Britain. Yes by classes I'm talking about gender/women's studies.

What do you think of the British Labor Party? I'm not that well-informed about her and the Labor party, sorry about that. Also, what has Jess Phillips exactly done?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Fernyx
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:31:43 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:26:11 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:19:50 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:13:56 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:05:51 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Well what, do you expect feminists to care, Jess Phillips laughed at a day to talk about this. People will never care because they went to school for 10k a year to learn how oppressed they are. The only thing those classes are good for is protesting, so they literally can't do anything else or they will realize the money and time was a waste.

I don't know who Jess Phillips is. When you speak of "classes", are you talking about gender/women studies majors?

Jess Phillips is a Labor Party MP in Britain. Yes by classes I'm talking about gender/women's studies.

What do you think of the British Labor Party? I'm not that well-informed about her and the Labor party, sorry about that. Also, what has Jess Phillips exactly done?

I'm not too involved in British politics so I can't really answer on the Labor party. I believe it is much like the American Green Party. Jess Phillips was confronted with the idea of international men's day, and when she was, she laughed at the guy who proposed it. She said 'Every day is international men's day.' as a way to dismiss any argument for it.

There are videos on YouTube, but YouTube is blocked at my school, so here is an article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:11:11 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

A good number of these statistics are the result of misogyny. For instance, the 97% combat fatality stat is a result of not allowing women to fight in the first place. The only legitimate (i.e. they haven't done it to themselves as in the combat issue), systemic male discrimination that I think exists is in the courts. As you note, men are more likely to be convicted and more likely to get a longer sentence. This probably comes from the fact that violent crimes are far and away more often committed by men, so there's a more negative perception of men in the legal system. It's wrong and society should work to correct it.

That said, the issues men face pale in comparison to those faced by women. Humanity in general has a long history of treating women as less than human, and we're still crawling out of that. Even in developed countries like the US, there is still a cultural tendency to treat women in ways that no man would ever stand for. Rape and victim blaming, slut shaming, and attitudes about sex ed and birth control are some of the clearest examples. While women are still facing such wide-ranging discrimination, I'm not much inclined to address the alleged plight of my own gender.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:18:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I seriously doubt that men constitute 70% of domestic violence victims. But I get what you're saying and I agree.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 7:05:51 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:18:30 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I seriously doubt that men constitute 70% of domestic violence victims. But I get what you're saying and I agree.

It's 40% - 70%. They don't know what the actual percentage is. Nonetheless pretty high. Perhaps, it's also because it's perceived as more acceptable for a woman to be violent to a man, rather than vice versa.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 12:19:16 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
A good number of these statistics are the result of misogyny. For instance, the 97% combat fatality stat is a result of not allowing women to fight in the first place.

Because on average they lower the effectiveness of their fighting unit. The military isn't equipped to accommodate inferior troopers, nor should it.

The only legitimate (i.e. they haven't done it to themselves as in the combat issue), systemic male discrimination that I think exists is in the courts. As you note, men are more likely to be convicted and more likely to get a longer sentence. This probably comes from the fact that violent crimes are far and away more often committed by men, so there's a more negative perception of men in the legal system. It's wrong and society should work to correct it.

That said, the issues men face pale in comparison to those faced by women. Humanity in general has a long history of treating women as less than human, and we're still crawling out of that. Even in developed countries like the US, there is still a cultural tendency to treat women in ways that no man would ever stand for.

Rape and victim blaming,- this requires expansion, however no one, and I do mean no one blames random chick for being raped. There is, however, an eyebrow that gets quirked in some instances in which the rape is decreed as such by the female post occurrence. Everyone is responsible, ultimately, for their own safety, and choosing to behave in a responsible fashion. Engaging in habits that are contrary that are stupid for everyone, not just females.

slut shaming, and attitudes about sex ed and birth control are some of the clearest examples.

Because it denotes poor decision making skills. Women have the most risk when it comes to sex. Re: sex ed and birth control, I have no problem with anyone receiving all of that, however whom foots the bill and for what reasons its used is relevant to the conversation.

While women are still facing such wide-ranging discrimination, I'm not much inclined to address the alleged plight of my own gender.

'wide ranging' discrimination from slut shaming? Sort of a make-your-own-bed predicament, there. If you don't want your sex life to be made into public spectacle, don't engage in that variety of sex life, or ya know, don't march about it. ('slut walks')
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 4:26:15 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/1/2016 12:19:16 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
A good number of these statistics are the result of misogyny. For instance, the 97% combat fatality stat is a result of not allowing women to fight in the first place.

Because on average they lower the effectiveness of their fighting unit. The military isn't equipped to accommodate inferior troopers, nor should it.

I've heard people say that before, but never seen any evidence to support it. Do you have any? If possible, direct links to studies would be preferable to news articles, which are notoriously bad at accurately reporting the results of such things.

The only legitimate (i.e. they haven't done it to themselves as in the combat issue), systemic male discrimination that I think exists is in the courts. As you note, men are more likely to be convicted and more likely to get a longer sentence. This probably comes from the fact that violent crimes are far and away more often committed by men, so there's a more negative perception of men in the legal system. It's wrong and society should work to correct it.

That said, the issues men face pale in comparison to those faced by women. Humanity in general has a long history of treating women as less than human, and we're still crawling out of that. Even in developed countries like the US, there is still a cultural tendency to treat women in ways that no man would ever stand for.

Rape and victim blaming,-
this requires expansion, however no one, and I do mean no one blames random chick for being raped. There is, however, an eyebrow that gets quirked in some instances in which the rape is decreed as such by the female post occurrence. Everyone is responsible, ultimately, for their own safety, and choosing to behave in a responsible fashion. Engaging in habits that are contrary that are stupid for everyone, not just females.

I'm talking about when women are blamed by having their outfits criticized, being told they were "asking for it," or being told they did something stupid when they don't keep their drink covered at a party or something. Or when a rape occurs and the fact that the victim had sex with her boyfriend earlier in the night is used to indicate that the rape might have actually be consensual. Or when it's assumed that a sex worker can't be raped. Stuff like that. You say no one blames a "random chick" for being raped, but I would challenge you to find a single rape accusation reported in the news in which the victim's dress, behavior, or sexual history isn't mentioned in a way to place some of the responsibility on her.

slut shaming, and attitudes about sex ed and birth control are some of the clearest examples.

Because it denotes poor decision making skills. Women have the most risk when it comes to sex. Re: sex ed and birth control, I have no problem with anyone receiving all of that, however whom foots the bill and for what reasons its used is relevant to the conversation.

On sex-ed and birth control, I was referring to things like the chewed gum and cup-of-spit stuff that girls are subjected to in a lot of school districts across the US. And while I appreciate that you're for birth control and sex-ed, this is a conversation about society, which is clearly split on the issue.

While women are still facing such wide-ranging discrimination, I'm not much inclined to address the alleged plight of my own gender.

'wide ranging' discrimination from slut shaming? Sort of a make-your-own-bed predicament, there. If you don't want your sex life to be made into public spectacle, don't engage in that variety of sex life, or ya know, don't march about it. ('slut walks')

Slut shaming is just a part of the wide-ranging discrimination that women face. Also, slut shaming usually has very little to do with a woman's actual sex life. It's more often about how they dress in general, or that when they're the victim of a crime, their sex lives become an issue. Women who get catcalled or stalked, or otherwise degraded in public are almost always further victimized when people declare that they were asking for it because of how they dress. A slut walk is specifically meant to challenge this and be provocative. And dress codes in schools are always more restrictive regarding clothing associated with how girls dress compare to boys (e.g. restrictions on tights but not skinny jeans). When they're the victims of crime, their sexual history is more likely to be brought up, even when the crime isn't sexual in nature. The same isn't true for men.
Hoey
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:00:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Sex discrimination is difficult to judge. The way i try and see it, is to role reverse any situation. if the role reversal is not possible such as a man accusing a woman of rape or issues concerning child birth then it's difficult to say if women are being treated unfairly because we do not have the male equivalent to compare it to. in all other situation sex discrimination on both sides is still highly visible.
I watched a recent controlled experiment where a couple in a public park were arguing, the man was being aggressive to the woman and slapped her. several witnesses chased after the man and threatened him with violence and also checked the women was ok and told her she should leave him. other witnesses who were later interviewed said they felt uncomfortable with the situation and felt it was wrong.
The exact same scenario was played out again but with roles revered. the women got aggressive and slapped the man. no one came to the mans aid or to check if he was ok. when witnesses were interviewed some said they found the situation funny. who is being discriminated against. the man for not getting the same protection received by the women. or the women who people felt they needed to protect? society treats men and women differently, the question is, which way should we treat everyone equally
Hoey
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:16:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/1/2016 5:00:53 PM, Hoey wrote:
Sex discrimination is difficult to judge. The way i try and see it, is to role reverse any situation. if the role reversal is not possible such as a man accusing a woman of rape or issues concerning child birth then it's difficult to say if women are being treated unfairly because we do not have the male equivalent to compare it to. in all other situation sex discrimination on both sides is still highly visible.
I watched a recent controlled experiment where a couple in a public park were arguing, the man was being aggressive to the woman and slapped her. several witnesses chased after the man and threatened him with violence and also checked the women was ok and told her she should leave him. other witnesses who were later interviewed said they felt uncomfortable with the situation and felt it was wrong.
The exact same scenario was played out again but with roles revered. the women got aggressive and slapped the man. no one came to the mans aid or to check if he was ok. when witnesses were interviewed some said they found the situation funny. who is being discriminated against. the man for not getting the same protection received by the women. or the women who people felt they needed to protect? society treats men and women differently, the question is, which way should we treat everyone equally

Not the experiment i described, but similar (https://www.youtube.com...)
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:41:17 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
A good number of these statistics are the result of misogyny. For instance, the 97% combat fatality stat is a result of not allowing women to fight in the first place.

Because on average they lower the effectiveness of their fighting unit. The military isn't equipped to accommodate inferior troopers, nor should it.

I've heard people say that before, but never seen any evidence to support it. Do you have any? If possible, direct links to studies would be preferable to news articles, which are notoriously bad at accurately reporting the results of such things.

I did a debate on it not to long ago, both my opponent and I sourced various arguments.

http://www.debate.org...

This debate should contain the references, as well as contrasting view points.

That said, the issues men face pale in comparison to those faced by women. Humanity in general has a long history of treating women as less than human, and we're still crawling out of that. Even in developed countries like the US, there is still a cultural tendency to treat women in ways that no man would ever stand for.

Rape and victim blaming,-
this requires expansion, however no one, and I do mean no one blames random chick for being raped. There is, however, an eyebrow that gets quirked in some instances in which the rape is decreed as such by the female post occurrence. Everyone is responsible, ultimately, for their own safety, and choosing to behave in a responsible fashion. Engaging in habits that are contrary that are stupid for everyone, not just females.

I'm talking about when women are blamed by having their outfits criticized,

When you say "criticized", you mean an outfit that by nature is designed to highlight or accentuate their sex appeal, correct?

being told they were "asking for it,"

How frequently is that uttered outside of the defense of the accused? Devils Advocate, the easiest way to demonstrate "consent" would be for the woman to have asked for sex.

or being told they did something stupid when they don't keep their drink covered at a party or something.

I don't think I have ever heard of a woman being slipped a drug, raped, then blamed for having been slipped a drug. I have heard of a woman taking of their own volition, then acting poorly for it, but not when it comes to them being slipped something.

Or when a rape occurs and the fact that the victim had sex with her boyfriend earlier in the night is used to indicate that the rape might have actually be consensual.

We are talking forcible rape, not "he wouldn't take no for an answer, so I gave in", yes?

Or when it's assumed that a sex worker can't be raped. Stuff like that. You say no one blames a "random chick" for being raped, but I would challenge you to find a single rape accusation reported in the news in which the victim's dress, behavior, or sexual history isn't mentioned in a way to place some of the responsibility on her.

That -has to be the tactic-! She is the defacto gate keeper if something is rape or not, it stands to reason that if you can demonstrate she was complicit in the sexual activity, for whatever reason, its not rape. If you have a history of calling attention to your sex appeal, your sexual history is known to be lets say 'less than discriminatory' in partner choice, and are known to be blatantly flirtatious or sexually open with people, reasonable doubt about the regret of the act vs actually choosing the act can be called into question.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com...

I can find a lot more like this, even one from E harmony in which a woman met her 'date', was asked to head to some place more private, she declined, and was forced at gun point then somewhere to be raped. There is a stark contrast in variety of rape cases. Forcible, which seems pretty cut and dry, and then there is "other", which seems to have the most gray area, especially as far as how or why things progressed as far as they did before becoming rape. "Rape Culture" seems to be derived from college campuses, specifically around college parties in which the revelers imbibe of a social lubricant (some times far to much), and engage in poor decisions. I see the predominant concern of sexual assault levied around young adults that are shall we say "gray" in terms of occurrence, then there is the blatant at gun point rape that occurs.

While women are still facing such wide-ranging discrimination, I'm not much inclined to address the alleged plight of my own gender.

'wide ranging' discrimination from slut shaming? Sort of a make-your-own-bed predicament, there. If you don't want your sex life to be made into public spectacle, don't engage in that variety of sex life, or ya know, don't march about it. ('slut walks')

Slut shaming is just a part of the wide-ranging discrimination that women face. Also, slut shaming usually has very little to do with a woman's actual sex life. It's more often about how they dress in general, or that when they're the victim of a crime, their sex lives become an issue. Women who get catcalled or stalked, or otherwise degraded in public are almost always further victimized when people declare that they were asking for it because of how they dress. A slut walk is specifically meant to challenge this and be provocative.

Interesting choice of words. What exactly is it that is being provoked?

And dress codes in schools are always more restrictive regarding clothing associated with how girls dress compare to boys (e.g. restrictions on tights but not skinny jeans)....

That is a bit more as to what is considered 'appropriate' for its location. If a guy wore pajama pants to where said dresscode is, I am pretty sure they would send them home, too. Tights are like work out clothes, or pajamas or -extreme- casual wear. While I am not a fan of "skinny jeans", a solid pair can pass as business casual.

When they're the victims of crime, their sexual history is more likely to be brought up, even when the crime isn't sexual in nature. The same isn't true for men.

As I stated before, sexual history for a woman is reflective of judgment due to risk. The flip side is that any crime a man is the victim of, its assured his history of aggressive behavior will be brought up, regardless of the nature of the crime.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beisht_Kione
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:21:39 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 7:11:11 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

A good number of these statistics are the result of misogyny. For instance, the 97% combat fatality stat is a result of not allowing women to fight in the first place. The only legitimate (i.e. they haven't done it to themselves as in the combat issue), systemic male discrimination that I think exists is in the courts. As you note, men are more likely to be convicted and more likely to get a longer sentence. This probably comes from the fact that violent crimes are far and away more often committed by men, so there's a more negative perception of men in the legal system. It's wrong and society should work to correct it.

That said, the issues men face pale in comparison to those faced by women. Humanity in general has a long history of treating women as less than human, and we're still crawling out of that. Even in developed countries like the US, there is still a cultural tendency to treat women in ways that no man would ever stand for. Rape and victim blaming, slut shaming, and attitudes about sex ed and birth control are some of the clearest examples. While women are still facing such wide-ranging discrimination, I'm not much inclined to address the alleged plight of my own gender.

Did you really just say that its misogyny, hatred of women, that more women don't die in war?!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
HeavenlyPanda
Posts: 810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:45:52 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
If they truly want equality [...]
So equality is simply an exercise in numbers?
HeavenlyPanda
Posts: 810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:22:28 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.

So you're saying that a group that is for women's rights, that addresses to mainly women should fix men's issues.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:33:24 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 6:22:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.

So you're saying that a group that is for women's rights, that addresses to mainly women should fix men's issues.

Excuse me, but if they market feminism as "equality for the sexes", then they should either help both sexes, or none. Women in first world countries, like the US, nowadays, are almost more privileged than men, so if feminism is only for women's rights, it's pretty much useless.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
HeavenlyPanda
Posts: 810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:37:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 6:33:24 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 6:22:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.

So you're saying that a group that is for women's rights, that addresses to mainly women should fix men's issues.

Excuse me, but if they market feminism as "equality for the sexes", then they should either help both sexes, or none. Women in first world countries, like the US, nowadays, are almost more privileged than men, so if feminism is only for women's rights, it's pretty much useless.

So you think feminists should fix men's issues. Go look up the definition of feminism. Does it say equality of the sexes in the majority of the definitions you'll find? Should men have a hand in fixing their issues too?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:40:48 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 6:37:04 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 6:33:24 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 6:22:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.

So you're saying that a group that is for women's rights, that addresses to mainly women should fix men's issues.

Excuse me, but if they market feminism as "equality for the sexes", then they should either help both sexes, or none. Women in first world countries, like the US, nowadays, are almost more privileged than men, so if feminism is only for women's rights, it's pretty much useless.

So you think feminists should fix men's issues. Go look up the definition of feminism. Does it say equality of the sexes in the majority of the definitions you'll find? Should men have a hand in fixing their issues too?

I neither understand, why feminism or MRA's ought to exist. We should be helping everyone. Since you've made a post talking about how you're a feminist before, do you not believe in the equality of the sexes?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Beisht_Kione
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 9:22:35 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 6:37:04 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 6:33:24 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 6:22:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:15:54 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:14:30 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.
Are you talking about breast cancer vs prostate cancer? Really? Did you get that off of an MRA website?

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

Oh you poor baby :'( Do you, if you're a man in the US feel oppressed? Have you actually done anything about that. Poor you. Maybe if your little MRA friends got their act together and stopped complaining, something would actually be accomplished. If you don't want to put in the work to actually change this issue. Then stop complaining when nothing gets fixed.

I'm a woman and I'm not even American. I made this post because most feminists picture women as oppressed all the time, and they never see the issues men face. So this post is just to balance things out. If they truly want equality, as the definition of their movement states, then they should also see the other end.

So you're saying that a group that is for women's rights, that addresses to mainly women should fix men's issues.

Excuse me, but if they market feminism as "equality for the sexes", then they should either help both sexes, or none. Women in first world countries, like the US, nowadays, are almost more privileged than men, so if feminism is only for women's rights, it's pretty much useless.

So you think feminists should fix men's issues. Go look up the definition of feminism. Does it say equality of the sexes in the majority of the definitions you'll find? Should men have a hand in fixing their issues too?

How are men suppose to achieve equality with women, when feminists have created a false monopoly on victimhood? To feminists, there is no room for MRA's to fight for rights, because feminism must be achieved first. The funny thing is though, feminism will never be over. It will never be time for you harpies to put down your swords. The war is long over and you have won it and yet here you still are, fighting ghosts of the past while trying to collect that victim cred and be relevant, by any means necessary.
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 9:35:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
This, I think, is one of the saddest things about the feminist movement. They have to know about these male issues, yet instead of pairing up with MRA's and attempting to fix things together, instead they push them away and call them misogynists.
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 9:59:27 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/4/2016 9:35:10 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
This, I think, is one of the saddest things about the feminist movement. They have to know about these male issues, yet instead of pairing up with MRA's and attempting to fix things together, instead they push them away and call them misogynists.

+1
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:42:31 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Someone made a post just today saying burning man is happening this weekend.
I mean what's the deal with that. ?

I was thinking about the number of executions male v female.
I can't think of a argument for it yet , but I will.
Maybe the court systems works against us mere male as well .
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:58:11 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/31/2016 8:54:44 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
Lately, in this forum I've been seeing multiple posts that talk about women being victims of gender discrimination/sexism, which has inspired me to make this post. Women in first world countries live comfortably in most cases, and aren't oppressed at all, correct me if I'm wrong. Feminists tend to focus too much on women, and aren't really doing anything to ameliorate our societies, nowadays. Third wave feminism, therefore, is unnecessary in my eyes. (In some countries, women are still oppressed to this day, but that isn't the case for most first world countries)

I'm sure sexism exists towards both genders, but let's take it from a mostly legal perspective, women fare better. In society, men and women, roughly are considered equal by most.

Since the title is "Discrimination against men", I'll give you a list of alarming percentages related to men (These percentages are mostly American-centered):

- Men are 97% of combat fatalities.

Feminists have always claimed the right to get into the military with equal oportunity as men and without being weighted with huge prejudices for doing so. If they succeeded, women in the army would rise in number and men combat fatalities would obviously dropping. This is a situation men created, not women.

- Men pay 97% of Alimony.

Two reasons. 1) Family misstreatment is more often from men than from women. Therefore men are more likely to loose custody of children either partialy or totaly. 2) Men have created a situation in which women are seen as more fit to take care of children. This prejudice has allowed men to evade their responsibilities as parents for hundreds of years , but in modern societies where couples can divorce and child custody is decided by a judge , it is easy to realize that this prejudice is a double-edged weapon for men, who can be seen by the judge as naturaly more inept when it comes to caring for children and , therefore , this judge will see more prudent to give custody to the woman.

- Men make 94% of work suicides.

Again, men are sadly responsible for this issue. Our man-made societies see women as unfit to do practicaly anything that is not home/child-related. And so they are expected to fail often. As a result, when women fail in their jobs, they are quickly patronized. Men , however, are expected to be more professional and so there is much less understanding with them when they make a mistake. The patriarchal view that men are better than women general terms , is what creates this situation.

- Men make up 93% of work fatalities.

Also 2 reasons, related to the previous. 1) Women are expected to be coward and over cautious. Men are expected to be brave, somewhat wreckless or they will be seen as puss*es. This favors situations in which men can be in danger for mistaking "masculine behaviour" with foolhardiness. 2) A lot of jobs that are prone to danger are either physical or engineer related. It is men who created a situation in which women doing these jobs (or even studying for them) are seen as not femenine, which results in women avoiding these jobs and therefore avoiding danger.

- Men make up 81% of all war deaths.

Same explanation as 1st.

- Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.

Same as the alimony issue.

- 80% of all suicides are men.

- 77% of homicide victims are men.

- 89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.

- Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.

- Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.

- Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.

- Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.

- Males are discriminated against in school and University.

- Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.

- 60-80% of the homeless are men.

- Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's.

- At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.

- Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90%

- 40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.

( For a full list go on: http://www.realsexism.com... )

Do you have an opinion about this? Do you think feminism is necessary in first world countries? Do you, if you're a woman, in countries like the US, feel oppressed in any way?

This is all related to society patronizing women and not men. It is men who created the "masculinity" and "feminity" concept that is responsible for all you have said. And feminists are the people fighting against it more actively.