Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Feminism is Autism

YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:05:21 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I had initially posted this in a thread, and for whatever reason it was deleted. I am restoring the thread here and now. The argument as I heard it first was articulated via Youtube video, courtesy of SargonofAkkad. The argument that feminism is autism is compelling.

Deleting this thread amounts to political censorship.

Now that we have that out of the way.... let's get to the meat of it.

Autism spectrum disorder refers to a group of complex neurodevelopment characteristics and patterns of behaviors that pertain to difficulties in interacting with others and social functioning more generally. The term "spectrum" refers to the wide range of manifestation of this disorder, and its complex but multivariate nature of occurrence.

Due to the breadth of the categorization, especially, it is entirely reasonable that such a disorder could be characterized even as learned behaviors from association with a particular community that exhibited these tendencies. However, it should be noted that the science on learned autism or learned autistic behavior is acutely limited.

A bit about autism:

As it conventionally manifests, even as infants, children with ASD may seem different, especially when compared to other children their own age. They may become overly focused on certain objects, rarely make eye contact, and fail to engage in typical babbling with their parents. In other cases, children may develop normally until the second or even third year of life, but then start to withdraw and become indifferent to social engagement.

The severity of ASD can vary greatly and is based on the degree to which social communication, insistence of sameness of activities and surroundings, and repetitive patterns of behavior affect the daily functioning of the individual.

Social Impairment:

Many people with ASD find social interactions difficult, and that difficulty is caused by the limit of their ability to understand, relate to, and empathize with their peers and with other people.

The mutual give-and-take nature of typical communication and interaction is often particularly challenging. For example, often children with ASD do not understand how to play or engage with other children and may prefer to be alone. People with ASD may find it difficult to understand other people"s feelings or talk about their own feelings.

People with ASD may have very different verbal abilities ranging from no speech at all to speech that is fluent, but awkward and inappropriate.

Some children with ASD may have delayed speech and language skills, may repeat phrases, and give unrelated answers to questions.

In addition, people with ASD can have a hard time using and understanding non-verbal cues such as gestures, body language, or tone of voice. For example, young children with ASD might not understand what it means to wave goodbye.

People with ASD may also speak in flat, robot-like or a sing-song voice about a narrow range of favorite topics, with little regard for the interests of the person to whom they are speaking.

Characteristic Behaviors:

Many children become preoccupied with certain objects or concepts that attract their interest. Children may also become obsessively interested in a particular topic such as airplanes or memorizing train schedules.

Many people with ASD seem to thrive so much on routine that changes to the daily patterns of life " like an unexpected stop on the way home from school " can be very challenging.

Some children may even get angry or have emotional outbursts, especially when placed in a new or overly stimulating environment.

Indicators:

impaired ability to make friends with peers
impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
absence or impairment of imaginative and social play
repetitive or unusual use of language
abnormally intense or focused interest
preoccupation with certain objects or subjects
inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

Treatment:

While medication can"t cure ASD or even treat its main symptoms, there are some that can help with related symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Antipsychotic medications are used to treat severe behavioral problems. Seizures can be treated with one or more anticonvulsant drugs. Medication used to treat people with attention deficit disorder can be used effectively to help decrease impulsivity and hyperactivity in people with ASD. Parents, caregivers, and people with autism should use caution before adopting any unproven treatments.

The next post will describe the similarities and differences between autism as it is described here, and the observable behaviors of those people who hold themselves out to the world as feminists.

It is worth noting that all feminists are not categorizable as "autistic" in any real meaningful sense, but feminism itself lends itself to a form of learned autistic expression.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:11:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think that's really stupid.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The argument, I mean.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Posts: 4,605
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:12:37 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 10:11:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think that's really stupid.

The OP? If so, that's what I was thinking.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Rosalie
Posts: 4,605
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:16:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I find it funny because you only have like, 4 lines talking about Feminism. The rest of the articles explains what Autism is, and the disorder it's self in kids, and how it should be cured.

Now, if you really wanted to make this an actual argument, make a comparison between Feminism, and Autism, instead if just talking about the disorder it's self. :)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:43:44 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
As stated above, there are certain indicators of autism. They are:

1. impaired ability to make friends with peers;
2. impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others;
3. absence or impairment of imaginative, and social play;
4. repetitive or unusual use of language;
5. abnormally intense or focused interest;
6. preoccupation with certain objects or subjects; and
7. inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals.

With respect to an inability to make friends with their peers, it is worth noting that this is little more than a description of a social interaction and it does not per se account for underlying causes which are different from autism that could limit a person's ability to make friends. For example, learned behaviors from a person's upbringing could affect how people understand and relate to others in a way that causes them to misperceive others with whom they are unfamiliar as threats. However, the same could be said of certain species of feminism which, similarly, impair feminists' ability to make friends with their peers indiscriminately because of a learned misperception of males, male gender norms, and a tendency to fail to relate to members of the opposite sex on a human level, emphasizing in the alternative gender differences between them.

With respect to an impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others, it is critical to establish as well that the mere fact that a person exhibits certain manifestations of social awkwardness in the form of difficulty maintaining or initiating small talk with others does not per se indicate that they are autistic. It may, however, be a sign of a deeper problem in the neurofunctionality of an individual as indicative of certain social impairments, one of which is autism. In relation to feminism, it is substantially probable that a feminist's impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation is due in part to their conditioned failure to perceive men's motives, and perhaps also the motives of other women. More research would be needed to ascertain whether this is the case or not.

More analysis to follow.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Posts: 4,605
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:19:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

Why would you make an OP, and not "make an argument yet?"

Bet you're not going to respond..but still.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:25:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

I've watched the video. I didn't like it.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:05:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 2:25:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

I've watched the video. I didn't like it.

Why not? and please, don't just say that it's stupid.... that's not an argument. If you think Sargon is wrong, that's fine, but make the case.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:10:35 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 3:05:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:25:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

I've watched the video. I didn't like it.

Why not? and please, don't just say that it's stupid.... that's not an argument. If you think Sargon is wrong, that's fine, but make the case.

He delegitimizes millions of people because of a few fvcks on Tumblr and Twitter that are hostile and not very likable in their media. So he calls them autistic...which is also kind of shitty to start - but anyone who identifies with a certain word? Maybe if he said "I think that some of these Tumblr race feminist shitbags fit the description of falling on the autism spectrum", then maybe it wouldn't be a sh!t video. But he literally said "feminism is autism". I can't take that seriously because there isn't one group of people or set of ideas that represent the millions of people that agree with any of the several specific feminist groupings.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:11:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Like, Sargon in this topic can have as bad of a ideological bent in his takes as the worst Tumblr feminists that he generalizes as every feminist.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vaarka
Posts: 7,550
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:47:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 10:05:21 PM, YYW wrote:

If something exists, there's rule 34 of it, right? Well there's no rule 34 of the wage gap.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
tejretics
Posts: 6,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:26:08 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Why was the previous thread deleted?

I'm sure this one won't be, though, unless there's some flamewar that erupts here.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Posts: 6,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:28:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I don't think all or most feminists display the indications given above. This is a generalization. Even YYW is a "feminist" to the extent that he believes the government shouldn't unnecessarily discriminate between men and women. Hell, even Milo Yiannopoulos calls himself a second wave feminist.

Also, I think most psychology of this kind is very unclear, and not defined properly. You could use this logic to prove a number of things being "autism" when other indicators suggest that they're not. This rings a memory of Rosalie's "patriarchy is a mental disorder" thread (though that one consisted of a significant misunderstanding of how mental illnesses work).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:17:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 5:26:08 AM, tejretics wrote:
Why was the previous thread deleted?

I'm sure this one won't be, though, unless there's some flamewar that erupts here.

I spoke with Airmax about it and he indicated that it was his policy to delete posts that link only to videos where the OP does not provide some explanation of the video. So..... that's his policy. This was not any act of censorship, and I don't think anyone here will be doing any flaming... or at least not anyone advancing the idea that feminism is autism.
Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Posts: 6,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:50:28 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 6:17:27 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/4/2016 5:26:08 AM, tejretics wrote:
Why was the previous thread deleted?

I'm sure this one won't be, though, unless there's some flamewar that erupts here.

I spoke with Airmax about it and he indicated that it was his policy to delete posts that link only to videos where the OP does not provide some explanation of the video. So..... that's his policy.

I frankly think that's counterproductive to encouraging discussion.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:03:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 6:50:28 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 9/4/2016 6:17:27 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/4/2016 5:26:08 AM, tejretics wrote:
Why was the previous thread deleted?

I'm sure this one won't be, though, unless there's some flamewar that erupts here.

I spoke with Airmax about it and he indicated that it was his policy to delete posts that link only to videos where the OP does not provide some explanation of the video. So..... that's his policy.

I frankly think that's counterproductive to encouraging discussion.

I agree.... but w/e.... this post is up, so I'm not going to make a fuss about it.
Tsar of DDO
Beisht_Kione
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:13:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 3:11:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Like, Sargon in this topic can have as bad of a ideological bent in his takes as the worst Tumblr feminists that he generalizes as every feminist.

There was a Nazi who was stationed in Nanking, China when the Japanese invaded, sparking the infamous Rape of Nanking. This Nazi was shocked by the brutality and barbarism of the Japanese and attempted to help and Chinese citizen he could. The Japanese soldiers would not interfere with him because of his swastika armband. He saved innocent lives.
Knowing that, would it be a fair statement to say, whenever talking about the horrors of the Nazi Germany, "hey, not all Nazis were bad. Don't generalize like that." Would that make any f*cking sense?
I'm sorry, but I'm really sick of hearing the tired old "not all" argument get trotted out every single time yet another Socjus member does something stupid. The silent majority you allude to existing has never raised it's supposed voice, so their supposed existence is irrelevant.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:19:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have the benefit of living with at least five active feminists, so lets see how they compares with these indicators

impaired ability to make friends with peers
All five make friends with ease

impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
4/5 of the ones I refer to are good to excellent at this, the other one is much more introverted, but still average

absence or impairment of imaginative and social play
Same as above

repetitive or unusual use of language
None of that is shown in these five

abnormally intense or focused interest
Some amount with the various science degrees they are pursuing, no different from anyone else around here

preoccupation with certain objects or subjects
Not really

inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals
Also not really

I suppose they just so happen to be exceptions?
Meh!
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:34:05 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think people are making the mistake that Sargon was at any point serious in this video. He saw the stupid outrage that feminists had to Autism being under diagnosed in women and made a play on the symptoms to make a snarky joke about feminism. He's done it before and will likely do it again if you follow his videos.

It's similar to the Feminism is Cancer quote that Milo coined. It's tongue in cheek but just offensive enough that it riles up the "right people" on the internet.
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:45:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
impaired ability to make friends with peers

Feminists cannot make friends with any man, as you cannot be friends with your percieved "opressor"
impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others

Conversations or debates with feminists without them insulting you, calling you a racist, sexist misoygunist.
absence or impairment of imaginative and social play

Feminists definitely use Imaginative play on a daily basis, when they claim to be a victim on the way to the bank, or when they imagine that there is a patriacrhy or a wage gap.
Social Play is impaired however. They cannot interact with anyone outside of the "in-group" without inevitably telling them why they're wrong/sexist/ect.
repetitive or unusual use of language

Repetitive use of "sexist, racist, misogynist" to shut down discussion on Campus.
Unusual use of language is used when they try and define the hundreds of genders that has come from the non-binary movement. The normal person would find the sentence "cishet white male" unusual.
abnormally intense or focused interest

Their intense and focused intrest on women's rights borders on the unhealthy. Now feminists who see differing opinions need counselling in their safe spaces because of the distress. They abnorally beleive in male opression, yet non exists.

preoccupation with certain objects or subjects

Wage gap, rape culture, patriarchy, Donald Trump, ect.
Really like to focus on the penis and vagina for some reason.
inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

"Everything is racist, everything is sexist and you have to point it all out."

Do feminist rally's count as rituals?
Beisht_Kione
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 9:05:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 8:45:58 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
impaired ability to make friends with peers

Feminists cannot make friends with any man, as you cannot be friends with your percieved "opressor"
impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others

Conversations or debates with feminists without them insulting you, calling you a racist, sexist misoygunist.
absence or impairment of imaginative and social play

Feminists definitely use Imaginative play on a daily basis, when they claim to be a victim on the way to the bank, or when they imagine that there is a patriacrhy or a wage gap.
Social Play is impaired however. They cannot interact with anyone outside of the "in-group" without inevitably telling them why they're wrong/sexist/ect.
repetitive or unusual use of language

Repetitive use of "sexist, racist, misogynist" to shut down discussion on Campus.
Unusual use of language is used when they try and define the hundreds of genders that has come from the non-binary movement. The normal person would find the sentence "cishet white male" unusual.
abnormally intense or focused interest

Their intense and focused intrest on women's rights borders on the unhealthy. Now feminists who see differing opinions need counselling in their safe spaces because of the distress. They abnorally beleive in male opression, yet non exists.

preoccupation with certain objects or subjects

Wage gap, rape culture, patriarchy, Donald Trump, ect.
Really like to focus on the penis and vagina for some reason.
inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

"Everything is racist, everything is sexist and you have to point it all out."

Do feminist rally's count as rituals?

+1
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:54:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Could you please give a simple and concise reason why you think autism and feminism are the same? I don't have time to read thousands of characters of rhetoric and filler. If you need that much space to make your point then your point is useless to begin with.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:14:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 10:05:21 PM, YYW wrote:
I had initially posted this in a thread, and for whatever reason it was deleted. I am restoring the thread here and now. The argument as I heard it first was articulated via Youtube video, courtesy of SargonofAkkad. The argument that feminism is autism is compelling.

Deleting this thread amounts to political censorship.

Now that we have that out of the way.... let's get to the meat of it.

Autism spectrum disorder refers to a group of complex neurodevelopment characteristics and patterns of behaviors that pertain to difficulties in interacting with others and social functioning more generally. The term "spectrum" refers to the wide range of manifestation of this disorder, and its complex but multivariate nature of occurrence.

Due to the breadth of the categorization, especially, it is entirely reasonable that such a disorder could be characterized even as learned behaviors from association with a particular community that exhibited these tendencies. However, it should be noted that the science on learned autism or learned autistic behavior is acutely limited.

A bit about autism:

As it conventionally manifests, even as infants, children with ASD may seem different, especially when compared to other children their own age. They may become overly focused on certain objects, rarely make eye contact, and fail to engage in typical babbling with their parents. In other cases, children may develop normally until the second or even third year of life, but then start to withdraw and become indifferent to social engagement.

The severity of ASD can vary greatly and is based on the degree to which social communication, insistence of sameness of activities and surroundings, and repetitive patterns of behavior affect the daily functioning of the individual.

Social Impairment:

Many people with ASD find social interactions difficult, and that difficulty is caused by the limit of their ability to understand, relate to, and empathize with their peers and with other people.

The mutual give-and-take nature of typical communication and interaction is often particularly challenging. For example, often children with ASD do not understand how to play or engage with other children and may prefer to be alone. People with ASD may find it difficult to understand other people"s feelings or talk about their own feelings.

People with ASD may have very different verbal abilities ranging from no speech at all to speech that is fluent, but awkward and inappropriate.

Some children with ASD may have delayed speech and language skills, may repeat phrases, and give unrelated answers to questions.

In addition, people with ASD can have a hard time using and understanding non-verbal cues such as gestures, body language, or tone of voice. For example, young children with ASD might not understand what it means to wave goodbye.

People with ASD may also speak in flat, robot-like or a sing-song voice about a narrow range of favorite topics, with little regard for the interests of the person to whom they are speaking.

Characteristic Behaviors:

Many children become preoccupied with certain objects or concepts that attract their interest. Children may also become obsessively interested in a particular topic such as airplanes or memorizing train schedules.

Many people with ASD seem to thrive so much on routine that changes to the daily patterns of life " like an unexpected stop on the way home from school " can be very challenging.

Some children may even get angry or have emotional outbursts, especially when placed in a new or overly stimulating environment.

Indicators:

impaired ability to make friends with peers
impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
absence or impairment of imaginative and social play
repetitive or unusual use of language
abnormally intense or focused interest
preoccupation with certain objects or subjects
inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

Treatment:

While medication can"t cure ASD or even treat its main symptoms, there are some that can help with related symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Antipsychotic medications are used to treat severe behavioral problems. Seizures can be treated with one or more anticonvulsant drugs. Medication used to treat people with attention deficit disorder can be used effectively to help decrease impulsivity and hyperactivity in people with ASD. Parents, caregivers, and people with autism should use caution before adopting any unproven treatments.

The next post will describe the similarities and differences between autism as it is described here, and the observable behaviors of those people who hold themselves out to the world as feminists.

It is worth noting that all feminists are not categorizable as "autistic" in any real meaningful sense, but feminism itself lends itself to a form of learned autistic expression.

Feminism definition:

The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

What's holding such a position got to do with autistic behaviour traits?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Semiya
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:19:35 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 3:05:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:25:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

I've watched the video. I didn't like it.

Why not? and please, don't just say that it's stupid.... that's not an argument. If you think Sargon is wrong, that's fine, but make the case.

Oh, the hypocrisy is rich.
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:16:21 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
This is armchair psychology, and I don't believe you're actually making this argument seriously. Let's go back to the symptoms of autism, and instead of feminists, let's use Trump supporters, applying your framework.

1. impaired ability to make friends with peers;

Hard to befriend Hispanics, for instance, when you're shouting BUILD THAT WALL, or telling people it's their fault when they're offended and then proceeding to do everything you can to offend them.

2. impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others;

BUILD THAT WALL.

3. absence or impairment of imaginative, and social play;

Perhaps they could talk politics constructively if they weren't shouting BUILD THAT WALL all the time.

4. repetitive or unusual use of language;

BUILD THAT WALL

5. abnormally intense or focused interest;

BUILD THAT WALL.

6. preoccupation with certain objects or subjects; and

WALL

7. inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals.

BUILD THAT WALL

Obviously, the argument that I would be making if I genuinely believed Trump supporters had autism wouldn't even qualify as specious; it's just ridiculous. For one, it caricaturizes Trump supporters, and then attempts to draw psychological analysis from that caricature. Second, to qualify as having some sort of disorder, it's not as simple as just having all the symptoms. Consider OCD, for instance. Everyone has obsessions, and some have associated compulsions as well. I had a teacher who told us about how she always goes around the house three times when she leaves on vacation to make sure it's locked. But that's obviously not OCD; OCD has to have a significant debilitating effect, and interfere with daily life to an unusual extent to be diagnose-able. Saying that autism impairs the ability of people to make friends is like saying totaling a car impairs the ability of people to drive to work.

The definition of autism that is trying to be applied to feminism is applied so loosely and to such a caricature of feminists that really, I can't think of any group that CAN'T be defined as autistic under it.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
mc9
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 11:18:18 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 10:11:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think that's really stupid.

+1
Fernyx
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 2:25:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 6:14:40 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:05:21 PM, YYW wrote:
I had initially posted this in a thread, and for whatever reason it was deleted. I am restoring the thread here and now. The argument as I heard it first was articulated via Youtube video, courtesy of SargonofAkkad. The argument that feminism is autism is compelling.

Deleting this thread amounts to political censorship.

Now that we have that out of the way.... let's get to the meat of it.

Autism spectrum disorder refers to a group of complex neurodevelopment characteristics and patterns of behaviors that pertain to difficulties in interacting with others and social functioning more generally. The term "spectrum" refers to the wide range of manifestation of this disorder, and its complex but multivariate nature of occurrence.

Due to the breadth of the categorization, especially, it is entirely reasonable that such a disorder could be characterized even as learned behaviors from association with a particular community that exhibited these tendencies. However, it should be noted that the science on learned autism or learned autistic behavior is acutely limited.

A bit about autism:

As it conventionally manifests, even as infants, children with ASD may seem different, especially when compared to other children their own age. They may become overly focused on certain objects, rarely make eye contact, and fail to engage in typical babbling with their parents. In other cases, children may develop normally until the second or even third year of life, but then start to withdraw and become indifferent to social engagement.

The severity of ASD can vary greatly and is based on the degree to which social communication, insistence of sameness of activities and surroundings, and repetitive patterns of behavior affect the daily functioning of the individual.

Social Impairment:

Many people with ASD find social interactions difficult, and that difficulty is caused by the limit of their ability to understand, relate to, and empathize with their peers and with other people.

The mutual give-and-take nature of typical communication and interaction is often particularly challenging. For example, often children with ASD do not understand how to play or engage with other children and may prefer to be alone. People with ASD may find it difficult to understand other people"s feelings or talk about their own feelings.

People with ASD may have very different verbal abilities ranging from no speech at all to speech that is fluent, but awkward and inappropriate.

Some children with ASD may have delayed speech and language skills, may repeat phrases, and give unrelated answers to questions.

In addition, people with ASD can have a hard time using and understanding non-verbal cues such as gestures, body language, or tone of voice. For example, young children with ASD might not understand what it means to wave goodbye.

People with ASD may also speak in flat, robot-like or a sing-song voice about a narrow range of favorite topics, with little regard for the interests of the person to whom they are speaking.

Characteristic Behaviors:

Many children become preoccupied with certain objects or concepts that attract their interest. Children may also become obsessively interested in a particular topic such as airplanes or memorizing train schedules.

Many people with ASD seem to thrive so much on routine that changes to the daily patterns of life " like an unexpected stop on the way home from school " can be very challenging.

Some children may even get angry or have emotional outbursts, especially when placed in a new or overly stimulating environment.

Indicators:

impaired ability to make friends with peers
impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
absence or impairment of imaginative and social play
repetitive or unusual use of language
abnormally intense or focused interest
preoccupation with certain objects or subjects
inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals

Treatment:

While medication can"t cure ASD or even treat its main symptoms, there are some that can help with related symptoms such as anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Antipsychotic medications are used to treat severe behavioral problems. Seizures can be treated with one or more anticonvulsant drugs. Medication used to treat people with attention deficit disorder can be used effectively to help decrease impulsivity and hyperactivity in people with ASD. Parents, caregivers, and people with autism should use caution before adopting any unproven treatments.

The next post will describe the similarities and differences between autism as it is described here, and the observable behaviors of those people who hold themselves out to the world as feminists.

It is worth noting that all feminists are not categorizable as "autistic" in any real meaningful sense, but feminism itself lends itself to a form of learned autistic expression.

Feminism definition:

The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

What's holding such a position got to do with autistic behaviour traits?

It is because the vast majority of feminists don't follow the dictionary definition, therefore the definition is far different that the movement.
Fernyx
Posts: 308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 2:30:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 3:10:35 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/4/2016 3:05:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:25:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:44:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/3/2016 10:12:32 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
The argument, I mean.

Well I haven't even made it so it's a bit absurd to think that you're in a position to evaluate its stupidity.

lol

I've watched the video. I didn't like it.

Why not? and please, don't just say that it's stupid.... that's not an argument. If you think Sargon is wrong, that's fine, but make the case.

He delegitimizes millions of people because of a few fvcks on Tumblr and Twitter that are hostile and not very likable in their media. So he calls them autistic...which is also kind of shitty to start - but anyone who identifies with a certain word? Maybe if he said "I think that some of these Tumblr race feminist shitbags fit the description of falling on the autism spectrum", then maybe it wouldn't be a sh!t video. But he literally said "feminism is autism". I can't take that seriously because there isn't one group of people or set of ideas that represent the millions of people that agree with any of the several specific feminist groupings.

I mean, the majority of feminists, at least in America and the UK, are the 'Tumbler Feminists'. They are raised to believe whatever their gender studies teacher tells them and most of the time those are the 'Tumbler Feminist' views. They make up the majority of feminists, therefore the movement is run by them, basically, join a different movement, or be associated with the radicals.