Jump to topic:

You're a Retard

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:28:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Why does everybody seem to get so offensive and insulted whenever someone says the word retarded? Or mental retard? What makes the word so special?
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:35:20 AM
At 9/4/2016 3:28:41 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Why does everybody seem to get so offensive and insulted whenever someone says the word retarded? Or mental retard? What makes the word so special?

Whoa whoa slow down...slow down...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:45:45 AM

I can't tell if that last sentence is a pun or not.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:02:00 AM

Humans put a big emphasis on having socially desirable features and not having features that would cause people to reject them. These heavily undesirable features are called stigmas.
Mental disability is one of the biggest stigmas out there, or at least in the Western world it is. If you have a mental disability, people will treat you like you're infected with some deadly, easily transmissible disease. They will be extremely uncomfortable talking to you and you'll ultimately find yourself without a friend in the world.
Being accused of mental retardation is a threat to their social status and very identity. It's like what leprosy was 2000 years ago.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:08:35 AM
At 9/4/2016 4:02:00 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Humans put a big emphasis on having socially desirable features and not having features that would cause people to reject them. These heavily undesirable features are called stigmas.
Mental disability is one of the biggest stigmas out there, or at least in the Western world it is. If you have a mental disability, people will treat you like you're infected with some deadly, easily transmissible disease. They will be extremely uncomfortable talking to you and you'll ultimately find yourself without a friend in the world.
Being accused of mental retardation is a threat to their social status and very identity. It's like what leprosy was 2000 years ago.

Gattaca!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:12:17 AM
At 9/4/2016 4:08:35 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/4/2016 4:02:00 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Gattaca!

Seriously. It is probably better to spend your whole life in a wheelchair than to have Down Syndrome.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:13:31 AM

Don't know, other than PC culture. I called something retarded once and I someone told me not to use the "r" word.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:25:52 AM

Because it implies that the subject of the descriptive term is lesser than equal to all others, which is an unacceptable notion under the current popular social rules of etiquette that professes that we are all equal. This, in itself, is an issue rooted in a misinterpretation of the claim that all men are created equal. If anyone truly thinks that we are all equal in any way, shape, or form other than certain unalienable rights they are incorrect.

With that said, I personally don't think there is anything to gain from belittling someone who is experiencing a harder existence than myself, so I don't really accept the use of that term regardless.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 8:16:49 AM
Oh no. Have you found out what the North Korean doctors have written on your medical notes, Panda?
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:16:37 PM
At 9/4/2016 8:16:49 AM, desmac wrote:
Oh no. Have you found out what the North Korean doctors have written on your medical notes, Panda?

The stalker strikes again.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:30:20 PM
At 9/4/2016 12:16:37 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/4/2016 8:16:49 AM, desmac wrote:

The stalker strikes again.

Well stop doing it.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:18:06 PM
At 9/4/2016 4:13:31 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Don't know, other than PC culture. I called something retarded once and I someone told me not to use the "r" word.

Now, that's retarded.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:36:23 PM
At 9/4/2016 2:18:06 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 9/4/2016 4:13:31 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Now, that's retarded.

Don't use the r word you racist
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 12:41:15 AM
The term "retarded" is offensive, but ironically the term itself is a euphemism, if you think about it - it is psychology jargon meant to be benign and technical. Retarded means slowed, and cross-applying this physics jargon to psychology creates a beautifully euphemistic and lifeless term to label those who are uncomfortably-stupid. Unfortunately, it worked too well! It was integrated so well that the euphemism has become its opposite. It must now be discarded and replaced with new terminology which can successfully separate meaning from language. I've heard the term "delayed" being used by social workers lately, you can safely call a f*cking retarded person "delayed" now without getting any liberal PC cocksuckers panties in a bunch.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 2:32:57 AM

This shouldn't even be a question, just look at campuses mainly in america and look at their social classes. They can't even stand people saying 'guys' when the group is mix gendered.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 8:31:03 AM
At 9/5/2016 2:32:57 AM, Fernyx wrote:

This shouldn't even be a question, just look at campuses mainly in america and look at their social classes. They can't even stand people saying 'guys' when the group is mix gendered.

Thats like calling the whole of humanity mankind.