Jump to topic:

Ask a former SJW

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:51:15 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Title is pretty self-explanatory. I'll do my best to respond but now that I'm in college, I don't have too much free time on my hands.
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:49:59 AM
At 9/8/2016 1:51:15 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
Title is pretty self-explanatory. I'll do my best to respond but now that I'm in college, I don't have too much free time on my hands.

What sent you to the dark side?

What brought you back to rationality?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:56:03 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:49:59 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I want to second both of those excellent questions.
Tsar of DDO
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:57:18 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:56:03 AM, YYW wrote:

I want to second both of those excellent questions.

*thumbs up*
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:33:45 AM

Why would you have called yourself a SJW? In today's language, that term is used as derogatory, akin to calling yourself a terrorist.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:41:36 AM

Are you gay or straight or something else?

When did you realize what your sexual orientation was?

Are you a virgin? If not, are you sexually active?

When were your first exposed to SJW ideology?

What about SJW ideology appealed to you? Why?

How old were you when you were first exposed to SJW ideology?

How long did it take for you to realize that SJW ideology was intellectual trash?

What caused you to become a "former" SJW?

What if any impact did DDO have on your ideological evolution?
Tsar of DDO
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:44:30 PM

Good question. At my high school, although the curriculum is not blatantly SJW, it had SJW leanings. Before joining DDO, I never really encountered any counter argument to the SJW doctrine. Various school assignments also had SJW leanings. For example in English class, I had an assignment where I was supposed to argue for the removal of the n-word in Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. And during the assignments I had to pull arguments from SJW scholars who believe that the n-word in the book triggers African Americans and makes them feel marginalized. I also took a sociology class in high school and while the curriculum isn't inherently SJW, I was in a class full of SJWs who would be telling me and others to check our priviliges. While I can't recall every event that slowly made me a SJW, there were certainly more. Another part of my descent into the dark side was the fact that SJWs champion multiculturalism and as one who is one of the only Asian Americans in a school that is 95% white people this was very appealing. I believed that what SJWs were pushing for is greater tolerance in our society and want to push against racism, sexism and such.

Another good question. The first huge step for me was joining this website. For the first six months, my SJW leanings remained unchanged mainly because I never looked at the forums. In fact, I was never exposed to terms such as trigger warnings or microaggressions despite the fact I believed in such ideas. I also never heard term social justice warrior. Reading YYW's post was my first exposure to the counter arguments to the social justice warrior doctrine. Multiple events in real life also turned me away from being a social justice warrior. For example, I was sitting next to a SJW who was reading a book containing essays from both sides about the various topics of feminism. In the book contained an essay by a psychologist who believed that the victim is to blame for sexual assault. She became furious and labeled the author as a sexist and a rape apologist, made factless attacks against the author's credentials and such. The main problem, was that she didn't actually read the paper beyond the title. Neither of us know what the author really meant or said. Although I'll probably disagree with the conclusion of the author seeing how this SJW went on such a dogmatic attack against the author without reading his paper was my first exposure to the anti-intellectualism of the social justice warrior movement. In addition, through YYW, I was exposed to Milo Yiannopoulus. While I don't initially view him as the evil monster the regressive left paints him as, I though he was an internet troll that crawled out of his mother's basement. Even though, I didn't initially like him, I found him very interesting and watched his college tour and how all the SJWs reacted. I also began to listen to other voices against the regressive left on Youtube such as Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Summers. Seeing the disgusting reactions of the SJWs that try to silence these people, I began to realize that the SJW movement is racist, sexist, and anti-free speech.

There are some events that I either forgot or don't wish to disclose. But yeah, that is the short version of the story on how I became an SJW and then an anti-SJW.

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:48:19 PM
At 9/8/2016 4:33:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Why would you have called yourself a SJW? In today's language, that term is used as derogatory, akin to calling yourself a terrorist.

SJW beliefs I held:

Speech intended to hurt others is not constitutionally protected
All religions deserve respect for the sake of multiculturalism
Microaggression theory
The concept of white, male privilege
Black Lives Matter
Safe spaces (while I was never exposed to the term in high school, my SJW self probably would have supported it)

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:52:29 PM
At 9/8/2016 12:48:19 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

SJW beliefs I held:

Microaggression theory
Black Lives Matter
Safe spaces (while I was never exposed to the term in high school, my SJW self probably would have supported it)

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I recall signing a petition to get the word "retard" banned at my high school

MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:35:09 PM
A lot of respect for you man. I find that both SJW and Anti-SJW ideologies are very rigid and unlikely to a change a lot of the time. It's a good thing you did.

My main question is, do you now speak out against SJW's?
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:36:43 PM
When you were an SJW, was there a group you were a part of that campaigned for Social Justice?

If so, what were the techniques used by this group?

What were the relationships like between those in the group and those outside the group?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:53:10 PM

SJW beliefs I held:

Fighting words doctrine of United States constitutional law, reinforced by various Supreme Court cases such as Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, suggests that speech intended to hurt others is not protected by the first amendment. Slander, speech intended to lie in order to discredit someone, is also not protected by the first amendment.

According to the 1st amendment, all religions should be respected. Saying it should be respected because of multiculturalism, however, is definitely SJW.

Microaggression theory

Yeah, that's pretty SJW.

Are you suggesting whites don't have an easier time than blacks?

Black Lives Matter

Are you saying black lives don't matter?

That is pretty SJW, but you're also claiming you "would have supported it if you heard of it", which means there is a possibility you wouldn't have supported it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:02:41 PM
This is about a revelatory as a "Christian fundamentalist --> New Atheist" thread.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:15:50 PM

I don't think multiculturalism requires respect for all religious beliefs. Religious beliefs that call people to murder others would not be supported even by SJWs. However, SJWs do respect most religions, and moderate interpretations of those faiths.

What is wrong with safe spaces?

You cite here some of the more ridiculed aspects of SJWhood. But SJW's, more fundamentally, support treating everyone with the dignity and respect that they deserve as human beings. Some people carry that too far, but I don't think that, at its core, SJWs beliefs are that bad.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 7:04:49 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:35:09 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
A lot of respect for you man. I find that both SJW and Anti-SJW ideologies are very rigid and unlikely to a change a lot of the time. It's a good thing you did.

My main question is, do you now speak out against SJW's?

I'm too socially awkward and shy to speak against SJW's publicly

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 7:06:21 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:36:43 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
When you were an SJW, was there a group you were a part of that campaigned for Social Justice?

If so, what were the techniques used by this group?

What were the relationships like between those in the group and those outside the group?

No, the SJWs didn't have an organized group or anything like that

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 1:10:36 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 5:41:36 AM, YYW wrote:

Are you gay or straight or something else?

Straight
When did you realize what your sexual orientation was?

Seems like an irrelevant question
Are you a virgin? If not, are you sexually active?

Yes I'm a virgin
When were your first exposed to SJW ideology?

I would say sophomore year in high school
What about SJW ideology appealed to you? Why?

SJWs have done a good job of portraying themselves as tolerant and inclusive to all which appealed to me as an Asian American in a community that is nearly all white and as a son of an immigrant and a refugee.
How old were you when you were first exposed to SJW ideology?

15-16 ish
How long did it take for you to realize that SJW ideology was intellectual trash?

Over the past 6-8 months
What caused you to become a "former" SJW?

Read my reply to Cole Train's post
What if any impact did DDO have on your ideological evolution?

In terms of being an SJW or in general?

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 1:16:23 AM
At 9/8/2016 5:15:50 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't think multiculturalism requires respect for all religious beliefs. Religious beliefs that call people to murder others would not be supported even by SJWs. However, SJWs do respect most religions, and moderate interpretations of those faiths.

You cite here some of the more ridiculed aspects of SJWhood. But SJW's, more fundamentally, support treating everyone with the dignity and respect that they deserve as human beings. Some people carry that too far, but I don't think that, at its core, SJWs beliefs are that bad.

Although I'm no longer an SJW, I do not think that most SJWs have ill-intentions. They see themselves as champions against racism, sexism, etc. and I can respect their desire to combat such ills in society. However, where the SJW movement went wrong is that many became over zealous and now have become the monsters they seek to destroy. I think it is important for any ideological movement to take time to look themselves in the mirror to ensure that their passion does not blind their judgement and they do something counter productive to their cause.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 1:23:01 AM
At 9/9/2016 1:16:23 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
However, where the SJW movement went wrong is that many became over zealous and now have become the monsters they seek to destroy.

The problem with this is that there are extremes to every movement. You cannot blame most SJW's because of a few cooks.

One could argue that the anti-SJW has just as much extremism in its ranks, and that it too seeks to suppress speech by mocking and mercilessly trolling/humiliating those who would disagree with them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 1:27:08 AM
At 9/9/2016 1:23:01 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, where the SJW movement went wrong is that many became over zealous and now have become the monsters they seek to destroy.

The problem with this is that there are extremes to every movement. You cannot blame most SJW's because of a few cooks.

One could argue that the anti-SJW has just as much extremism in its ranks, and that it too seeks to suppress speech by mocking and mercilessly trolling/humiliating those who would disagree with them.

I don't really perceive extreme anti-SJWs as a threat as it seems that they are confined to the dark corners of the internet and won't leave their parents' basement to do anything with lasting impact.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 2:39:39 AM
At 9/9/2016 1:27:08 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
At 9/9/2016 1:23:01 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't really perceive extreme anti-SJWs as a threat as it seems that they are confined to the dark corners of the internet and won't leave their parents' basement to do anything with lasting impact.

You should see Milo Yiannopolous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 2:47:27 AM
What do you think is the most appropriate response to a SJW?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:04:30 AM

Although I'm no longer an SJW, I do not think that most SJWs have ill-intentions. They see themselves as champions against racism, sexism, etc. and I can respect their desire to combat such ills in society. However, where the SJW movement went wrong is that many became over zealous and now have become the monsters they seek to destroy.

Nietzsche had some interesting thoughts on that subject. Something to the effect of "Beware that, when fighting monsters, that you yourself do not become a monster... for when you stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you."

I think it is important for any ideological movement to take time to look themselves in the mirror to ensure that their passion does not blind their judgement and they do something counter productive to their cause.

That is a reasonable perspective and I am glad to hear that you have come to that realization.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:10:33 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:44:30 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Good question. At my high school, although the curriculum is not blatantly SJW, it had SJW leanings. Before joining DDO, I never really encountered any counter argument to the SJW doctrine. Various school assignments also had SJW leanings. For example in English class, I had an assignment where I was supposed to argue for the removal of the n-word in Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. And during the assignments I had to pull arguments from SJW scholars who believe that the n-word in the book triggers African Americans and makes them feel marginalized. I also took a sociology class in high school and while the curriculum isn't inherently SJW, I was in a class full of SJWs who would be telling me and others to check our priviliges. While I can't recall every event that slowly made me a SJW, there were certainly more. Another part of my descent into the dark side was the fact that SJWs champion multiculturalism and as one who is one of the only Asian Americans in a school that is 95% white people this was very appealing. I believed that what SJWs were pushing for is greater tolerance in our society and want to push against racism, sexism and such.

This is a very interesting perspective, at least, to the extent that you're suggesting that there are people who focus only on the existence of certain language, while at the same time blindly ignoring the context in which that language takes place, or the relationship of that language to the reader of it.

For example, if I was teaching Huck Finn, we could very easily use that to talk about how people regarded the blacks at a point in time and compare that to their place now in the society. Clearly, there remains work to be done, but progress from then to now has also been made. But, you never get to the questions of "what does it mean that in one instance it was considered acceptable to use the word 'nigger' in a book" and "what does it mean that people do not use such language now" (i.e. the only kind of actual questions that could facilitate a real discussion about racial problems in the society) if the only question you're asking is "should we censor this disfavored language out?"

People who argue for blanket censorship of words like that and historical artifacts are really doing nothing other than trying to whitewash history, which is just disgusting; and the people who argue in support of it are disgusting.

Another good question. The first huge step for me was joining this website. For the first six months, my SJW leanings remained unchanged mainly because I never looked at the forums. In fact, I was never exposed to terms such as trigger warnings or microaggressions despite the fact I believed in such ideas. I also never heard term social justice warrior. Reading YYW's post was my first exposure to the counter arguments to the social justice warrior doctrine. Multiple events in real life also turned me away from being a social justice warrior. For example, I was sitting next to a SJW who was reading a book containing essays from both sides about the various topics of feminism. In the book contained an essay by a psychologist who believed that the victim is to blame for sexual assault. She became furious and labeled the author as a sexist and a rape apologist, made factless attacks against the author's credentials and such. The main problem, was that she didn't actually read the paper beyond the title. Neither of us know what the author really meant or said. Although I'll probably disagree with the conclusion of the author seeing how this SJW went on such a dogmatic attack against the author without reading his paper was my first exposure to the anti-intellectualism of the social justice warrior movement. In addition, through YYW, I was exposed to Milo Yiannopoulus. While I don't initially view him as the evil monster the regressive left paints him as, I though he was an internet troll that crawled out of his mother's basement. Even though, I didn't initially like him, I found him very interesting and watched his college tour and how all the SJWs reacted. I also began to listen to other voices against the regressive left on Youtube such as Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Summers. Seeing the disgusting reactions of the SJWs that try to silence these people, I began to realize that the SJW movement is racist, sexist, and anti-free speech.

There are some events that I either forgot or don't wish to disclose. But yeah, that is the short version of the story on how I became an SJW and then an anti-SJW.

Cool cool
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:29:52 AM

SJW beliefs I held:

There are a lot of people who have very unsophisticated understandings of US first amendment jurisprudence who believe that this is the case. It is not the case, nor has it ever been the case, nor would it ever be the case. There are some cases that would suggest otherwise that lay people may point to (e.g. Chaplinsky) to prove the opposite point, but what was said more than fifty years ago doesn't stand for an indication of where the law is today, or what any lower court would have found even after some of the more prominent cases were handed down.

Speech in this country is maximally protected, and the only kind of speech that, at this time, does not enjoy sweeping constitutional protections is obscenity. Some speech can be regulated on the basis of, for example, the means, methods, and timing of its occurrence so long as the regulation is content neutral; but, regulation of the content itself is essentially limited to only a bar on obscenity.

Obscenity has a very abstract definition, but what literally counts for obscenity now is something that appeals to prurient interests which has no redeeming social, scientific, literary, artistic, or cultural value. Courts have found that to be inclusive of little more than visual depictions of children engaged in explicit sexual contexts where the genitalia are exposed in fact. That is an incredibly high bar.

This is a very popular and manifestly idiotic belief that really puts liberals at an impasse with each other. On the one hand you have the multicultural relativists, and on the other hand you have the human rights' activists. While the multiculturalists believe that all religions are worthy of equal consideration because there is no objective way to state the differences between the two, the sane believe that the presence or absence of beliefs which induce people to engage in barbarism that is violative of any notion of human rights is such a criteria (e.g. female genital mutilation, honor killings, executing people who are gay because they are gay, etc.).

Microaggression theory

This is very easily the stupidest thing that is in vogue right now, and it's a clear indication of how perverse psychology has become these days... but you all already know what I think about this pseudointellectual trash.

This is very easily the second stupidest thing that is in vogue right now, and it's a clear indication of how perverse psychology has become these days... but you all already know what I think about this pseudointellectual trash.

Black Lives Matter

This is very easily the third stupidest thing that is in vogue right now, and it's a clear indication of how perverse psychology has become these days... but you all already know what I think about this pseudointellectual trash.

This is very easily the fourth stupidest thing that is in vogue right now, and it's a clear indication of how perverse psychology has become these days... but you all already know what I think about this pseudointellectual trash.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:30:57 AM
I should add that to believe that SJW's ground their beliefs in human dignity is to indulge in pure fantasy.
Tsar of DDO
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:10:22 PM

Although I'm no longer an SJW, I do not think that most SJWs have ill-intentions. They see themselves as champions against racism, sexism, etc. and I can respect their desire to combat such ills in society. However, where the SJW movement went wrong is that many became over zealous and now have become the monsters they seek to destroy. I think it is important for any ideological movement to take time to look themselves in the mirror to ensure that their passion does not blind their judgement and they do something counter productive to their cause.

Very informative, I think many of the leftist/sjw (not to be insulting) are just ignorant, uninformed or misinformed. You became informed and made a clear educated decision about your stance. So many videos of arguments, even faced with logic, facts and stats they hold tight to their beliefs and narrowly focus on their trigger issue. (see how I worked that word in, aren't I clever? lol) Glaring example is gun deaths, to me lets prevent all preventable deaths, why such a narrow focus? Because for whatever it's their thing. Even when faced with facts of how so many other preventable deaths can be eliminated, they just won't open their eyes.
Some in the thread used Huk Finn, which was great example.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:21:27 PM
At 9/8/2016 12:52:29 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

SJW beliefs I held:

Microaggression theory
Black Lives Matter

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I recall signing a petition to get the word "retard" banned at my high school

Interesting because in healthcare you try to retard bacterial growth. Saw an interview where this guy said you shouldn't use the word "lame" unless it was directed to an animal or person who actually was lame. Anyway I like Ben Shapiro too, look up Steven Crowder too if you haven't, warning, warning, profanity and crude humor.
ThePostMarxist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:55:21 PM

Firstly, well done for coming out of the moral quagmire of liberalism and into the light. It was a struggle for me coming out of SJW territory, though I landed myself right into brocialist, anti-feminist, MRA territory. And now I'm revelling in being a leftist.

Secondly, what do you identify as now? What is your political alignment? Did you push even further left like me and discover that beyond the idiocy of centrist liberals there is a beautiful world of theory? Or did you react with conservatism?
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 11:03:21 PM
At 9/10/2016 7:55:21 PM, ThePostMarxist wrote:

Firstly, well done for coming out of the moral quagmire of liberalism and into the light. It was a struggle for me coming out of SJW territory, though I landed myself right into brocialist, anti-feminist, MRA territory. And now I'm revelling in being a leftist.

Secondly, what do you identify as now? What is your political alignment? Did you push even further left like me and discover that beyond the idiocy of centrist liberals there is a beautiful world of theory? Or did you react with conservatism?

I am still a conservative and since becoming a former SJW, I did make a shift right but not a very significant shift.