Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should you stand for the national anthem?

ConnorSween16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 6:47:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Lately, it seems all anyone is talking about anymore is the Colin Kaepernick controversy caused by him sitting in protest against "a country that discriminates against black people and people of color". In my opinion, I think he's just an attention seeking football player trying to draw attention to himself. As a citizen of the US, you should stand and show respect for your rights. Yes you have the right to say no to that, but that doesn't make that okay. Curious to see what you guys think
ConnorSween16
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:24:45 PM
At 9/9/2016 6:47:49 PM, ConnorSween16 wrote:
Lately, it seems all anyone is talking about anymore is the Colin Kaepernick controversy caused by him sitting in protest against "a country that discriminates against black people and people of color". In my opinion, I think he's just an attention seeking football player trying to draw attention to himself. As a citizen of the US, you should stand and show respect for your rights. Yes you have the right to say no to that, but that doesn't make that okay. Curious to see what you guys think

He should have the freedom to not stand for the national anthem without legal repercussions, but at the same time he should've been kicked off of whatever team he plays for.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Aodagain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 7:44:35 PM
At 9/9/2016 7:24:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

He should have the freedom to not stand for the national anthem without legal repercussions, but at the same time he should've been kicked off of whatever team he plays for.

I don't agree. He feels strongly about an issue, and feels this is the way to make a protest. What happened to freedom of speech and opinion? I'm not saying I'd do what he does, but I wouldn't get my knickers in a knot about it either.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 11:55:46 PM

Sports teams are private, not public, so they can kick people off for refusing to stand for the national anthem. The fact is that if Kaepernick ends up representing the team he plays for, then the 49ers will start to lose money, so he becomes a net negative for the team.

I personally would and always stand for the anthem, and I would have kicked him off the team without a shroud of doubt if I had that power.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 12:09:34 AM

He shouldn't stand and show respect. Wasn't America a free country where anyone can do whatever he wants? I understand that it's respectful to stand up for the national anthem, but people deserve their autonomy.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 12:10:15 AM

It depends on the situation, and I can understand not doing it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 12:23:34 AM
At 9/9/2016 11:55:46 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Sports teams are private, not public, so they can kick people off for refusing to stand for the national anthem. The fact is that if Kaepernick ends up representing the team he plays for, then the 49ers will start to lose money, so he becomes a net negative for the team

He might actually be a revenue source since his jersey sales are up, though of course there's how much he's paid. Also the NFL salary cap is more complicated than that.

I personally would and always stand for the anthem, and I would have kicked him off the team without a shroud of doubt if I had that power.
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 12:32:25 AM

Colin Kaepernick has every right to be an idiot
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 5:06:38 AM

I think that America is a pretty messed up country. We are full of corruption, greed, ignorance, arrogance, and a lot more. I still stand for the national anthem. I don't cover my heart, but I stand. No matter what I think about America, I am still a citizen. Plus, I think that the national anthem stands for what America was and what it could be if we all got our damn priorities straight. I do stand for the national anthem, and I don't think that will change.

I do not like the pledge of allegiance, though. That whole one nation under God thing. This is supposed to be a pledge to a country full of diverse people and cultures, and you add in a phrase specific to one religion. It doesn't make sense.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 5:15:28 AM

You should probably consider hanging out other people. This is actually the first I have heard of this, not that I know who this Colin person is.

I don't care if he stands, I don't care if he sits. In short, I don't care. It's a free country (right?) people can do what they want. Anyone who wants penalties or consequences for people doing what they want, without breaking any laws, is likely a douche-bag and/or stand to profit from doing so.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 4:31:42 PM
ITT people who make fun of people for being "triggered" by the stupidest things, being triggered by the stupidest things.

Circle of life.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 4:37:35 PM
Am I the only one who has never sung an anthem?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 4:41:11 PM
At 9/10/2016 4:31:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
ITT people who make fun of people for being "triggered" by the stupidest things, being triggered by the stupidest things.

Circle of life.

IKR. Was really amusing to see in that other thread about this guy not singing the anthem.

"SJW ruin the USA and complain about everything" *proceeds to complain about a dude not singing along*
:
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 4:45:08 PM
At 9/10/2016 4:41:11 PM, Fkkize wrote:
"SJWs ruin the USA and complain about everything" *proceeds to complain about a dude not singing along*
:
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 6:48:06 PM
Colin Kaepernick is disillusioned over the perceived oppression of blacks in this country. I get that.
Evangelical Christians are living in a society which is increasingly secular, increasingly sinful, increasingly anti-christian, and so on. To their perspective, America is turning into something horrible; they still stand for the pledge. He should too.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ThePostMarxist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 7:53:07 PM

Personally? I am against most kinds patriotism and believe any kind of reverence of the flag and all it symbolises is silly, and counteractive to peace. I mean, what has been the cause of war for the most part? International disputes. So it stands to reason that pride in a flag and a nation causes conflict and unnecessary violence
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:59:46 PM
Imagine if one of the Nazis refrained from standing and saluting Hitler. I bet that would have pissed off a bunch of Germans, eh?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 9:34:45 PM
"SJWs ruin the USA and complain about everything" *proceeds to complain about a dude not singing along*
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 4:52:05 AM
At 9/10/2016 4:37:35 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Am I the only one who has never sung an anthem?

Clearly you're a traitor then.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 4:52:37 AM
At 9/10/2016 9:34:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 5:38:50 AM
At 9/10/2016 4:45:08 PM, Fkkize wrote:

SJWs are complaining about things that are stupid to complain about, or things that don't exist. Talking about a person disrespecting the nation is a different thing.

Nice false analogy
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:03:31 AM
At 9/11/2016 5:38:50 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

SJWs are complaining about things that are stupid to complain about, or things that don't exist. Talking about a person disrespecting the nation is a different thing.

Of course, complaining that some guy didn't sing a song is not ridiculous or stupid at all. Just imagine the consequences. Oh right, there are none. It didn't do any property damage and nobody got physically hurt. The only thing that got hurt are your feelings. But why should he care any more about your feelings than you should care about the feelings of a sjw complaining about "manspreading"?
:
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:38:21 AM
At 9/11/2016 7:03:31 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Of course, complaining that some guy didn't sing a song is not ridiculous or stupid at all. Just imagine the consequences. Oh right, there are none. It didn't do any property damage and nobody got physically hurt. The only thing that got hurt are your feelings. But why should he care any more about your feelings than you should care about the feelings of a sjw complaining about "manspreading"?

Singing and standing up in respect are different, your false analogies are getting more and more funnier.

My feelings are not hurt on a personal level of somebody not standing up for the anthem. However, they are doing a great disgrace to the country. The stupid football player basically insulted the country he lives in which was the country that allowed him to freely pursue his football career.

I am not offended on a personal level, but I find it disgusting how he did this.

Now knock off your false analogies.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:00:20 AM
At 9/11/2016 7:38:21 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:03:31 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Singing and standing up in respect are different, your false analogies are getting more and more funnier.
I expected no other reply, considering how you were completely unable to point out why the anthem mandates standing up in your recent conversation with ppc. One might get the impression asserting your position over and over again is your favorite kind of argument.

My feelings are not hurt on a personal level of somebody not standing up for the anthem. However, they are doing a great disgrace to the country. The stupid football player basically insulted the country he lives in which was the country that allowed him to freely pursue his football career.
And how did he do that?

I am not offended on a personal level, but I find it disgusting how he did this.
Are you trying to tell me disgust is not a feeling?
:
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 11:13:10 AM
Fascinating at how much you project and how much you assume.

How about the following scenario.

I am a footballer, and I do not stand nor sing the pledge. I play the game as I am professionally expected to.

The interview that follows would go something like this:

Int: "Why did you not stand for the pledge?"
Me: Because I didn't want to.
Int: Why did you not want to?
Me: I see no reason why I should have to justify that.
Int: Why?
Me: Standing for the pledge is legally, and contractually optional, is it not?
Int: Yes...
Me: And the people who did stand for the pledge... Are they at all required to justify their reasons for why they stood?
Int: No...
Me: There you go then.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:45:52 PM
At 9/11/2016 11:13:10 AM, Envisage wrote:
Fascinating at how much you project and how much you assume.

How about the following scenario.

I am a footballer, and I do not stand nor sing the pledge. I play the game as I am professionally expected to.

The interview that follows would go something like this:

Int: "Why did you not stand for the pledge?"
Me: Because I didn't want to.
Int: Why did you not want to?
Me: I see no reason why I should have to justify that.
Int: Why?
Me: Standing for the pledge is legally, and contractually optional, is it not?
Int: Yes...
Me: And the people who did stand for the pledge... Are they at all required to justify their reasons for why they stood?
Int: No...
Me: There you go then.

Envisage, I'm sorry, but that point is far too unpatriotic.

...and well put.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:25:36 PM
There is no definite answer. Should we all stand? Depends on the premise for such. It's common practice to do so, and it's also polite and orderly, so yes, in that case, we should all stand. On the other hand, there is no law or standard outside of the cultural aspects that merit individuals standing.

Personally, I pay my respects to the nation, flag, and anthem, and I like when others do the same. However, that doesn't mean that people who do the opposite should be demonized, as that is their right, but it's also the right of individuals to dislike and boycott organizations that allow for such.

I, personally, will not be buying a Kaepernick shirt any time soon.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:48:49 AM

I also suspect his motives are not entirely what he claims but lets give him the benefit of the doubt for a moment and I assume they are. I still would not choose to protest the way he did but I understand why he did it and I will defend his right to do so. As a whole I find American nationalism a little misguided. Few other societies demand the level of national pride the US does. Many of those that have are/were totalitarian regimes like the Nazis.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 2:54:09 PM
At 9/10/2016 5:06:38 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

I think that America is a pretty messed up country. We are full of corruption, greed, ignorance, arrogance, and a lot more. I still stand for the national anthem. I don't cover my heart, but I stand. No matter what I think about America, I am still a citizen. Plus, I think that the national anthem stands for what America was and what it could be if we all got our damn priorities straight. I do stand for the national anthem, and I don't think that will change.

I do not like the pledge of allegiance, though. That whole one nation under God thing. This is supposed to be a pledge to a country full of diverse people and cultures, and you add in a phrase specific to one religion. It doesn't make sense.

The whole controversy about "one nation under God" annoys me.
So, to start off, when this country was first formed, religion had a major role in the lives of people. Even if there is now separation of church and government, the above stands true for our past.
Second, it's supposed to be more of a statement of unity. When you say "one nation, under God," it's not so much a statement of saying we are religious, but more of a statement of unity.
Third, when it says "God", it doesn't have to just mean the christian god, but other gods as well. A large majority of people are religious in some way, and as such is a way of showing acceptance of religion from all people, regardless of which god they believe in.

Of course, you're allowed to disprove of it as you wish, but I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that line.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:25:45 PM
At 9/9/2016 7:24:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Then you are punishing him for expressing his RIGHT which is utterly contradictory of U.S. principles.