Video Gamers Have No Skill

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:05:19 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 12:51:55 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
If you think sitting on a couch staring at a screen is skill, wow. Sad.

SMH your trolling needs better skill
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:10:27 AM

Luckily I spend my time sitting in an office chair staring at a monitor while moving my mouse to certain points on my screen due to reflexive memorization as to where my mouse is exactly and how much to move it. Along with that, I've learned to tap x and z on my keyboard in time to a musical beat or melody, in which I have to tap not only at high speeds, but have good enough hand-eye coordination to know when to tap on each circle, or hold down my finger on a slider, as well as spin when it shows up. I've also learned to read an approach rate fast enough that most people can't even react to an approach rate lower than it when they start playing, and I can do so flawlessly.

Going on with that, depending on the point-increasing mods that are provided ingame, I can play with hard rock, which not only flips the map completely upside down to make it different, but also increases the overall difficulty of accuracy and aim, makes the circles smaller, and spinners harder to pass. Another mod is double time, which brings the speed up by 1.5, making songs around 180bpm as high as rise up to 270bpm, which is very fast and often difficult to tap. It also naturally speeds up the approach rate, and makes it very difficult to keep up. Next is hidden, which requires me to not only see the circle, but remember where it is on the screen, as it disappears before I can tap on it. While not too difficult at first, this can be the devil on beatmaps that involve a lot of jumps or lines of circles that require me to alternate between x and z at a BPM that I have to learn to not only find out of reaction, but be able to keep up the stamina to keep going at that speed.

So yeah, I guess that doesn't take skill :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:28:20 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:10:27 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Luckily I spend my time sitting in an office chair staring at a monitor while moving my mouse to certain points on my screen due to reflexive memorization as to where my mouse is exactly and how much to move it. Along with that, I've learned to tap x and z on my keyboard in time to a musical beat or melody, in which I have to tap not only at high speeds, but have good enough hand-eye coordination to know when to tap on each circle, or hold down my finger on a slider, as well as spin when it shows up. I've also learned to read an approach rate fast enough that most people can't even react to an approach rate lower than it when they start playing, and I can do so flawlessly.

Going on with that, depending on the point-increasing mods that are provided ingame, I can play with hard rock, which not only flips the map completely upside down to make it different, but also increases the overall difficulty of accuracy and aim, makes the circles smaller, and spinners harder to pass. Another mod is double time, which brings the speed up by 1.5, making songs around 180bpm as high as rise up to 270bpm, which is very fast and often difficult to tap. It also naturally speeds up the approach rate, and makes it very difficult to keep up. Next is hidden, which requires me to not only see the circle, but remember where it is on the screen, as it disappears before I can tap on it. While not too difficult at first, this can be the devil on beatmaps that involve a lot of jumps or lines of circles that require me to alternate between x and z at a BPM that I have to learn to not only find out of reaction, but be able to keep up the stamina to keep going at that speed.

You're right. That doesn't take skill. :)
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:35:18 AM

Don't be such a noob.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:36:06 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:35:18 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Don't be such a noob.

So you actually think sitting on the couch is a skillful? Are you obese?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:38:01 AM
Sigh*

Taking this silly thread seriously for a moment.......

Looking at neuroanatomy such as first person games (role-playing, or real time strategy) one must access multiple areas of the brain for constant coordination of the virtual character. According to one website:

"gaming can increase brain function, problem solving skills, spatial reasoning, memory, attention span, strategic planning, and even social skills among others."

See: https://www.collegeraptor.com...

According to the Scientific American:

"Playing violent video games can sharpen our focus, reasoning and decision-making skills. But do we really need the weapons?"

Another states:

"n a series of experiments on small numbers of gamers (10 to 14 people in each study), the researchers reported that gamers with previous experience of playing such action video games were better at perceptual tasks such as pattern discrimination than gamers with less experience.

In another experiment, they trained gamers that had little previous experience of playing action games, giving them 50 hours practice. It was showed that these gamers performed much better on perceptual tasks than they had prior to their training. The paper concludes:

The enhanced learning of the regularity and structure of environments may act as a core mechanism by which action video game play influences performance in perception, attention, and cognition."

See: http://www.iflscience.com...

So apparently there is skill involved when it comes to video games due to the constant use of the brain and the complexities involved with playing these games.

/End Thread
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:39:19 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:28:20 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:10:27 AM, Vaarka wrote:

You're right. That doesn't take skill. :)

Of course not! Only flashlight players have skill. That's honestly the hardest mod to play.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:40:49 AM
I also might add even in med school (according to what I've heard) if one does opt out dissecting a cadaver (due to the "gross-ness" of the dissection) one can actually do a virtual dissection, essentially playing a video game on the atlas of the human body.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:07:07 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:36:06 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Don't be such a noob.

Lol, it's not "sitting on the couch". It's playing the games themselves. Video games do require some set of skill, such as hand-eye coordination, strategic thinking, and memorization. "Skill" here determines your ability to succeed in a certain video game. Some people are very skilled in that regard, achieving difficult tasks or scores for a particular game through concentration and mastery of mechanics. Any "casual gamer" cannot get the hardest achievements because they don't have the skills required to do so. For example, if you have never played a video game before then you would have quite a lot of difficulty playing Dark Souls, compared to a skilled gamer who would have a much easier time playing it. If you believe "skill" is not a factor here, then what do you think is the factor that causes some people to be better at video games than others? What would you define "skill" as?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 3:02:21 AM

http://www.parents.com...

http://psychcentral.com...

http://www.makeuseof.com...

http://www.businessinsider.com...

http://www.cnn.com...

http://www.parentingscience.com...

http://www.apa.org...

http://www.medicaldaily.com...
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 5:32:42 AM

This is pretty easy for you to prove. If you can beat the best CS:GO players at CS:GO then it really doesnt require skill.
Meh!
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 7:24:35 AM
A list of Heavenly Panda's recent threads:

You're a Retard
The Majority of America is Stupid
DDO Stinks

Anyone detect a pattern here?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:21:32 AM
In addition to the various hand/eye coordination concepts mentioned, in a lot of PvP games, a certain degree of psychology comes into play in order to keep the opposition doing what you want them to do, rather than forming a cohesive unit. There is a lot you can learn from a person about how they play a game, and that does in many aspects translate into life out of the box.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 12:26:57 PM
At 9/13/2016 2:07:07 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:36:06 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Don't be such a noob.

Lol, it's not "sitting on the couch". It's playing the games themselves. Video games do require some set of skill, such as hand-eye coordination, strategic thinking, and memorization. "Skill" here determines your ability to succeed in a certain video game. Some people are very skilled in that regard, achieving difficult tasks or scores for a particular game through concentration and mastery of mechanics. Any "casual gamer" cannot get the hardest achievements because they don't have the skills required to do so. For example, if you have never played a video game before then you would have quite a lot of difficulty playing Dark Souls, compared to a skilled gamer who would have a much easier time playing it. If you believe "skill" is not a factor here, then what do you think is the factor that causes some people to be better at video games than others? What would you define "skill" as?

Lol, one of the best osu! players to date is a "casual gamer". There were other players who would tryhard to get ahead of him, but without trying he would just be better than them, and for well over a year, he was the best player. His tablet broke, and he's been too lazy to replace it, so he hasn't played in over a year, though ;_;

RIP rrtyui -- ???-2015 -- Freaking God

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:36:58 PM

Some games (usually casual games), don't require skill, like for example clickers, but there are games that do require a certain degree of skill. I'd LOVE to see you play a challenging video game. You would probably fail at it lol.

Skills required for gamers or acquired by them, generally speaking:
- Strategic planning
- Forward thinking
- Precision and hand-eye coordination
- Mental and creative prowess
- Patience and perseverance
- Leadership and socialization
- Sympathy and Empathy (Some games might help with EQ altogether)
- Problem solving skills

It mostly depends on the type of video game you play, as for example, a shooting game, won't require the same skill as a stealth game.
What I enjoy about video games:

- Video games have improved my English and taught me vocabulary that I hadn't known before. Apart from that, when I'm trying to learn a new language, I just set it to that specific language (if it's offered) and it kind of helps with the whole learning process.
- On certain occasions, they have inspired me: sometimes to draw certain characters or scenes that I have encountered while playing a specific game, or just to write about it, which means that it has made me a bit more creative.
- Certain video games have storylines, and are almost like movies, but the thing is that they make you feel more involved in the entire plot.
- Some video games, help me calm down and make me feel less stressed, especially atmospheric games.
- Video games have made me meet a few great friends (even from other countries).
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:57:26 PM
At 9/13/2016 5:32:42 AM, Axonly wrote:

This is pretty easy for you to prove. If you can beat the best CS:GO players at CS:GO then it really doesnt require skill.

Yeah, I already suggested Hiko's insane reaction shots to her, among other things. But she can of course do that in a week, because video games require no skill (actual response).

Low-level trolling.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:27:44 PM
At 9/13/2016 1:36:58 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

Some games (usually casual games), don't require skill, like for example clickers, but there are games that do require a certain degree of skill. I'd LOVE to see you play a challenging video game. You would probably fail at it lol.

- Strategic planning
prove that.
- Forward thinking
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
- Problem solving skills
prove that.

It mostly depends on the type of video game you play, as for example, a shooting game, won't require the same skill as a stealth game.

- Video games have improved my English and taught me vocabulary that I hadn't known before. Apart from that, when I'm trying to learn a new language, I just set it to that specific language (if it's offered) and it kind of helps with the whole learning process.
really, so could I improve my french, spanish, mandarin, german, etc. by playing a overwatch?
- On certain occasions, they have inspired me: sometimes to draw certain characters or scenes that I have encountered while playing a specific game, or just to write about it, which means that it has made me a bit more creative.
Wow, couldn't you just take a screen shot?
- Certain video games have storylines, and are almost like movies, but the thing is that they make you feel more involved in the entire plot.
How is that a skill?
- Some video games, help me calm down and make me feel less stressed, especially atmospheric games.
Poor you, do you suffer from PTSD?
- Video games have made me meet a few great friends (even from other countries).
How amazing.

Let me rephrase this because I've left quite a lot open and broad. Video gamers have no skill compared to sports players, musicians, artists, etc. Just like when I said the majority of Americans are stupid compared to their international peers. Now you have something to compare to otherwise all skill would be seen as equal when they're obviously not.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:28:43 AM
At 9/13/2016 11:27:44 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:36:58 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

- Strategic planning
prove that.
- Forward thinking
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
prove that.
- Problem solving skills
prove that.

If you've ever played a video game, you'd know what I'm talking about but from what I can see, you aren't that experienced in this sector.
http://www.businessinsider.com...
http://www.makeuseof.com...
http://integratedlistening.com...

really, so could I improve my french, spanish, mandarin, german, etc. by playing a overwatch?

As I've said, different video games, offer different benefits. Games like The sims, for example and games which actually have a storyline, have actually helped me, when it comes to my English. I haven't really played shooters for that long really, as I generally prefer games which tend to be more of the strategic type (like Total War) or games that have a storyline to them (like Life is Strange).
Shooters like Overwatch, have different benefits to them:
http://www.polygon.com...

Wow, couldn't you just take a screen shot?

Screenshots aren't the same thing. By your logic, why should artists draw realistic paintings? Aren't photographs enough?

How is that a skill?

I put them under that under the "What I enjoy about video games" section of my post.

Poor you, do you suffer from PTSD?

Unnecessary statement. Everyone has stress once in a while.

How amazing.

Let me rephrase this because I've left quite a lot open and broad. Video gamers have no skill compared to sports players, musicians, artists, etc. Just like when I said the majority of Americans are stupid compared to their international peers. Now you have something to compare to otherwise all skill would be seen as equal when they're obviously not.

Define what type of musician and artist you're talking about because I wouldn't define an artist like Pollock as skilled, or when it comes to musicians, I wouldn't define Nicki Minaj as a skilled musician. Video gamers aren't all skilled, but to say that none of them are, is quite a stretch. Everyone is skilled in different sectors. A gamer also isn't skilled in every game he plays, just like an artist of a specific style, wouldn't be particularly skilled in a different art style.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
jesusismywarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:29:57 AM

You're just mad because you're a noob.
Mark 10:44-45 "44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:33:59 AM
At 9/14/2016 1:29:57 AM, jesusismywarrior wrote:

Some people just don't accept reality.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Beisht_Kione
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 5:29:01 AM

I'll dismiss the fact that you have purposely ignored specific well put together argument against your position, Hiu's, which for some reason you don't deem worthy of a response in all you narcissistic glory. But, the term is Gamers, not Video Gamers , grandma.
How can you expect to be taken seriously if you cannot even get simple terminology correct?
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:55:33 AM
At 9/13/2016 7:24:35 AM, desmac wrote:
A list of Heavenly Panda's recent threads:

You're a Retard
The Majority of America is Stupid
DDO Stinks

Anyone detect a pattern here?
Yeah, I see a pattern: Heavenly Panda is awesome.

In thread after thread, post after post, she punches out dorks and nerds by the dozen.

It's hilarious.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:36:26 PM

And you're just mad because you've come to the realization that you can't put down "playing video games" as a skill on your resume.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 6:46:45 PM

I play varsity high school baseball, but in relation to video games, the mental side of baseball is much easier. In games such as CS:GO there is a lot of precision needed and games such as DOTA planning for 1 match at a professional level could take hours. There is a lot of strategizing and anti-strating that takes place.

Next is the definition of skill.
Skill- (n) the ability to do something well; expertise.

Now, I would bet my car that you could not get on CS:GO and beat one of the professionals in a 1 vs 1 match. This is because they play the game really well and are experts at it, you not playing the game gives you a lack of skill at it. This would be enough evidence that it takes 'skill'. The only argument that you could make is that it does not take physical effort to play a video game. But as far as skill, a video game is able to be mastered and some are better than others, therefore there is skill.

Seeing as you want to bash gamers in this thread as obese as well, this is to prove that all gamers are not obese. These are just a few examples.

Pasha (CS:GO)- http://i1.memy.pl...
Freakazoid (CS:GO)- http://cdn0.dailydot.com...
Censor (CoD)- https://pbs.twimg.com...
Sokal (CoD)- https://pbs.twimg.com...
Tipsy (CoD)- https://pbs.twimg.com...

I think you get the point...
jesusismywarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 9:06:58 AM
At 9/14/2016 3:36:26 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

And you're just mad because you've come to the realization that you can't put down "playing video games" as a skill on your resume.

And? It's still a skill. You know, some pornstars are skilled in what they do, yet it's highly unlikely that they'll write it in their resume XD.
Mark 10:44-45 "44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 11:25:12 PM

Well, there is a learning curve for video games and mastery does require practice, so it is technically a skill, Although you can probably argue that such skills are not particularly interesting or useful to society. Then again, video games are a hobby and I think many hobbies are pretty useless and interesting only to those involved.