Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is pornography damaging to society ?

one2one
Posts: 19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?
Godgirl
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up. Also, it really creeps me out when boys younger than me talk about watching porn. Like, how and why the heck are they even watching that kind of stuff?
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:02:51 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

Of course it is damaging. But the question becomes why do people use it and how does it come about being so pervasive in society?

I think the answer comes down to our attitude about consumption, coupled with an increase in technological ability.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:16:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Porn is linked to erectile dysfunction and tolerance to sexual pleasure (which means it becomes more difficult to enjoy sex) but beyond that I don't know of what else research has found.

These problems in and of themselves are damaging to an individual, but not seriously so. Nothing like smoking or drugs at any rate. Yes I would say that porn is inherently an undesirable thing to have in society, no I wouldn't class it as more dangerous than many things we currently already have.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,726
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:57:29 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.
Axonly
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:35:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

This is making the assumption that it affects everyone in the same way. It will never be that simple.

I'm going to put myself into the firing line here and say this: Personally, I have watched pornographic material and on occasion still do. Despite this, I still have a realistic outlook on sex, a realistic outlook on people involved in such entertainment and a realistic view on how sexual relations should be managed (Consent, respect, mutual happiness).

I would like to point out that due to the internet, it won't be stopped, even if there is a ban in place. The fact of the matter is that most people with internet access (especially teenagers) will view pornographic material, whether you like it or not.

The best thing that can be done is to have abundant information on pornography, risk of addiction to it and how it isn't an accurate representation of how sexual relations occur in the real world (Nor should they be a representative!). It's a lot like alcohol, it just needs to be managed properly in such a way that it is just safe entertainment.
Meh!
Godgirl
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:30:11 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.

Fair point.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:44:25 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 12:30:11 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.

Fair point.

btw, what he's trying to say is that someone who understands they're messed up is messed up for being able to understand that.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Godgirl
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:48:40 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 12:44:25 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/18/2016 12:30:11 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.

Fair point.

btw, what he's trying to say is that someone who understands they're messed up is messed up for being able to understand that.

What?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:55:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 12:48:40 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 12:44:25 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/18/2016 12:30:11 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.

Fair point.

btw, what he's trying to say is that someone who understands they're messed up is messed up for being able to understand that.

What?

yes.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:50:21 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 5:16:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Porn is linked to erectile dysfunction and tolerance to sexual pleasure (which means it becomes more difficult to enjoy sex) but beyond that I don't know of what else research has found.
Whereas pornography in excess may diminish brain activity and dull responses to sexual stimulation, that correlation is rather weak. Rather, porn-induced erectile dysfunction occurs because the man in question has been masturbating too much. The cure for this is a so-called rebooting period where masturbation is drastically reduced over 1-3 months.

Another factor here is that men are more easily aroused by visual stimuli than women (https://labs.psych.ucsb.edu...), which means that women and men will approach this issue differently. As such, access to porn will (likely) be more precious to men and less so to women.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:55:46 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:50:21 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:16:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Porn is linked to erectile dysfunction and tolerance to sexual pleasure (which means it becomes more difficult to enjoy sex) but beyond that I don't know of what else research has found.
Whereas pornography in excess may diminish brain activity and dull responses to sexual stimulation, that correlation is rather weak. Rather, porn-induced erectile dysfunction occurs because the man in question has been masturbating too much. The cure for this is a so-called rebooting period where masturbation is drastically reduced over 1-3 months.

Another factor here is that men are more easily aroused by visual stimuli than women (https://labs.psych.ucsb.edu...), which means that women and men will approach this issue differently. As such, access to porn will (likely) be more precious to men and less so to women.

does the same thing happen in females...? I don't think there's that many biological differences, yet I don't really see female interest in porn in pop culture.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:10:51 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:55:46 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:50:21 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:16:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Porn is linked to erectile dysfunction and tolerance to sexual pleasure (which means it becomes more difficult to enjoy sex) but beyond that I don't know of what else research has found.
Whereas pornography in excess may diminish brain activity and dull responses to sexual stimulation, that correlation is rather weak. Rather, porn-induced erectile dysfunction occurs because the man in question has been masturbating too much. The cure for this is a so-called rebooting period where masturbation is drastically reduced over 1-3 months.

Another factor here is that men are more easily aroused by visual stimuli than women (https://labs.psych.ucsb.edu...), which means that women and men will approach this issue differently. As such, access to porn will (likely) be more precious to men and less so to women.
does the same thing happen in females...? I don't think there's that many biological differences, yet I don't really see female interest in porn in pop culture.
We're all addicted to love. Men just have a way of linking it to arousing imagery in ways that women don't. Pop culture simply reinforces this standard. So if there is a perception, scientific or prejudicial, that women will not respond in a like manner to sexual imagery, then that approach will be perpetuated and affect the outcome.

Those looking for counter examples may find recourse to Magic Mike. But that movie and its sequel had a cult following among gay men, not women.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:39:57 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 7:57:29 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it.

+1

As much of an annoying feminist you are, I will have to agree with this.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 12:12:57 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 7:57:29 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

Capitalism = objectification. Got it.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

How?

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

Like any movie. Whats your point?

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

Depends on the type, and again, just like any movie. Whats your point?

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

What is that effect?

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Chloe8
Posts: 2,579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 5:09:03 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/20/2016 12:12:57 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/18/2016 7:57:29 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

Capitalism = objectification. Got it.

I don't think it's in people's best interests to become a professional porn actor or make amateur porn. The potential long term disadvantages outweigh short term financial incentives.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

How?

https://www.psychologytoday.com...

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

Like any movie. Whats your point?

It gives people who are inexperienced at sex unrealistically high expectations of how they should perform in the bedroom potentially making them apprehensive about having sex due to unnecessary embarrassment about their inability to perform like a porn star. It also may encourage people to be more violent and aggressive during sex or make them think they have to be very submissive and tolerate violence and aggression.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

Depends on the type, and again, just like any movie. Whats your point?

I don't think encouraging violent sexual behaviour is a good thing. It can be dangerous or lead to someone being trapped in an abusive relationship.

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

What is that effect?

https://www.addiction.com...

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.

What are the positive things about pornography?

There are none. I forgot to mention the dangers of pornography addiction.

http://www.psychguides.com...
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,205
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 5:21:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

Capitalism = objectification. Got it.

I don't think it's in people's best interests to become a professional porn actor or make amateur porn. The potential long term disadvantages outweigh short term financial incentives.

I wasn't talking about just porn. Capitalism in general is commoditization of people into resource. Secondly, people's financial plans and life goals are not something you have any authority to dictate (by means of a ban).

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

How?

https://www.psychologytoday.com...

"Their rate of infidelity was at least half of those who had watched sexual material alone and with their partners. But people who only watched porn with their partners were more dedicated to the relationship and more sexually satisfied than those who watched alone."

So, as a standard, what level of infidelity was there with no porn at all?

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

Like any movie. Whats your point?

It gives people who are inexperienced at sex unrealistically high expectations of how they should perform in the bedroom potentially making them apprehensive about having sex due to unnecessary embarrassment about their inability to perform like a porn star. It also may encourage people to be more violent and aggressive during sex or make them think they have to be very submissive and tolerate violence and aggression.

Like. Any. Movie. What's your point? The logic behind this would void any degree of cinema or TV as it could give "inexperienced" people in any given field the wrong impression of what they are viewing.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

Depends on the type, and again, just like any movie. Whats your point?

I don't think encouraging violent sexual behaviour is a good thing.

Partner dependent sort of thing.

It can be dangerous or lead to someone being trapped in an abusive relationship.

Sorry, I read this, and the first thing I thought was "fundamental Islam".

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

What is that effect?

https://www.addiction.com...

So, basically, sex on extreme levels is being normalized.

Like any movie is my go to on this one. What do you think happens when a kid of the same relative age watches something like "Seven" or "Fury Road"?

Or 50 Shades of Gray?

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.

What are the positive things about pornography?

The same positives any other form of media entertainment might benefit.

There are none. I forgot to mention the dangers of pornography addiction.

http://www.psychguides.com...
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Chloe8
Posts: 2,579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 5:51:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/21/2016 5:21:23 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

Capitalism = objectification. Got it.

I don't think it's in people's best interests to become a professional porn actor or make amateur porn. The potential long term disadvantages outweigh short term financial incentives.

I wasn't talking about just porn. Capitalism in general is commoditization of people into resource. Secondly, people's financial plans and life goals are not something you have any authority to dictate (by means of a ban).

I support capitalism but with regulations in place to protect people from harmful things. I support measures to stop people doing themselves harm. Just because someone m may be the only victim of their own actions it's not sensible for a government to let this individual choose to do themselves harm (usually due to ignorance) when it could easily be prevented.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

How?

https://www.psychologytoday.com...

"Their rate of infidelity was at least half of those who had watched sexual material alone and with their partners. But people who only watched porn with their partners were more dedicated to the relationship and more sexually satisfied than those who watched alone."

So, as a standard, what level of infidelity was there with no porn at all?

Porn increases infinitely by 300%.

https://marriagegems.com...


3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

Like any movie. Whats your point?

It gives people who are inexperienced at sex unrealistically high expectations of how they should perform in the bedroom potentially making them apprehensive about having sex due to unnecessary embarrassment about their inability to perform like a porn star. It also may encourage people to be more violent and aggressive during sex or make them think they have to be very submissive and tolerate violence and aggression.

Like. Any. Movie. What's your point? The logic behind this would void any degree of cinema or TV as it could give "inexperienced" people in any given field the wrong impression of what they are viewing.

Not many movies are solely about porn. Some may contain brief scenes involving intimacy but most don't.

Do I think it's ok for a film to include scenes of people fully naked? No.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

Depends on the type, and again, just like any movie. Whats your point?

No that's incorrect. Very few movies encourage sexually aggressive behaviour.

My point is encouraging sexually aggressive and violent behaviour is a bad thing.

I don't think encouraging violent sexual behaviour is a good thing.

Partner dependent sort of thing.

I don't think it's good for society to encourage violence and aggression in relationships. It should be seen as abnormal. If both partners are consenting adults and enjoy it that's fine but it should not be normalized or encouraged.

It can be dangerous or lead to someone being trapped in an abusive relationship.

Sorry, I read this, and the first thing I thought was "fundamental Islam".

Yes belief in Islam often leads to people becoming trapped in abusive relationships. That's one reason why it's important to stand up to Islam and expose it as a barbaric creation of dark ages misogynists who condoned paedophilia.

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

What is that effect?

https://www.addiction.com...

So, basically, sex on extreme levels is being normalized.

Which I oppose due to the many harmful and negative effects and lack of positive effects.

Like any movie is my go to on this one. What do you think happens when a kid of the same relative age watches something like "Seven" or "Fury Road"?

Or 50 Shades of Gray?

They should not be watching these films.

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.

What are the positive things about pornography?

The same positives any other form of media entertainment might benefit.

There are absolutely no positive things about pornography.

There are none. I forgot to mention the dangers of pornography addiction.

http://www.psychguides.com...
sam7032
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 11:01:27 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
Just as a point of clarification there are no young people who have not been exposed to it. Gallop tried to do a survey on the effects of porn on 3rd and 4th graders by comparing a group who had seen porn with a group who had not. The had to give up the survey because they could not find any 3rd or 4th graders who had not. I suppose it will give kids the wrong impression of what the world is like, just like action adventure movies, horror movies, romances and most mysteries. This is where parents come in. If the parents are to embarrassed to discuss porn with their kids, then the kids shouldn't watch it. (good luck with that)
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
It only promotes sexually aggressive behavior if its sexually aggressive porn. Most is not.
3. Married men and women.
All of the studies supporting a relationship between porn and bad marriages were conducted by women or religious conservatives who likely would not have published studies that came out differently. (And this assumes they were honest about the results they got.) And if there is a correlation between porn and cheating they likely have the cause and effect backwards. Men watch porn because they really want to cheat and are trying not too. Women watch porn too, only for them its the romance novel. They are just as fictional as porn. This notion that women's fantasies are fine and men's are damaging to the relationship is frankly offensive.
4. The actors that perform in it
Then why aren't you condemning football or boxing.

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?
Hiu
Posts: 978
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:00:42 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 7:57:29 AM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

1. Pornography is degrading to everyone who acts in it. It reduces them to merely objects.

2. Pornography encourages infidelity and damages relationships between couples.

3. Pornography gives a false impression of what sex is really like.

4. Pornography encourages violent sexual behaviour and makes it appear normal.

5. Pornography has a negative effect on children who inevitably come into contact with it at some stage. If it didn't exist this would not happen.

Pornography is purely a negative thing. There is not one positive thing about it. There is no doubt in my opinion it should be completely banned.

I disagree. Going by your list

1) Pornography can also demonstrate the sexual prowess and will of those involved along with enjoyment. Perceived objectification is subjective to the one viewing it which does not necessarily mean it is universally true.

2) Pornography does not encourage infidelity unless you are considering that viewing pornography is considered infidelity. In that case you are presenting a typical Judeo-Christian argument. If in fact porn encoruages infidelity it does not do so more than someone working innclose proximity with others who they are attracted to. Blaming porn merely takes away personl responsibility to the one engaging in the infidelity.

3) I may agree with you here. Unfortunately, impressionable you men and women may believe that sex is really like what they see in the videos. However, for audiences that understand the differences between fact and fiction, pornography can be a means of entertainment along with it being a tool for learning to assist others in being open to their sexuality.

4) Pornography does not encourage violence. Now, there is the element of violent sex that is a genre of porn, but such fantasies are brought about by the demand from the audience. There are people, men and women that do like rape fantasies, choking fantasies etc. Again, most audiences know that pornography is not real.

5) It is debateable that porn has negative effects on children but ccording to some researchers, there is indeed some truth in the fact that internet porn seekers among the youth demographic can lead to some harmful effects, but according to other studies, "typical of young people, exposure to pornography on the Internet can be described as a normative experience, and more study of its impact is clearly warranted." (See:http://online.liebertpub.com...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:13:10 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Porn is a lot like certain illegal drugs. The only harm to society from both porn and drug use is a result of the circumstances surrounding the use of porn or drugs. In and of itself, porn is harmless. For many people, it's extremely positive. It allows people to explore various sexual fantasies, and it gives people sexual relief/satisfaction.

I think the real harms aren't caused by porn but rather the social norms surrounding the use of porn. We're told that porn is bad, so we feel guilty using it. We're told that having a stable monogamous relationship with another human being is better than porn, so we feel bad when we prefer porn over our partners. The problem is that society has prescribed a specific way that you're supposed to live your life, a specific path to fulfillment, and porn isn't part of that prescribed life or path.

The solution is challenging these social norms, not blaming porn.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:18:23 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/22/2016 5:00:42 AM, Hiu wrote:
1) Pornography can also demonstrate the sexual prowess and will of those involved along with enjoyment. Perceived objectification is subjective to the one viewing it which does not necessarily mean it is universally true.

Agreed.

I would also add that there is nothing wrong with objectifying others sexually.

2) Pornography does not encourage infidelity unless you are considering that viewing pornography is considered infidelity. In that case you are presenting a typical Judeo-Christian argument. If in fact porn encoruages infidelity it does not do so more than someone working innclose proximity with others who they are attracted to. Blaming porn merely takes away personl responsibility to the one engaging in the infidelity.

Agreed.

I would add that porn sometimes discourages infidelity by letting people who are unfulfilled in their marriages get some relief, instead of seeking another sexual partner altogether.

3) I may agree with you here. Unfortunately, impressionable you men and women may believe that sex is really like what they see in the videos. However, for audiences that understand the differences between fact and fiction, pornography can be a means of entertainment along with it being a tool for learning to assist others in being open to their sexuality.

There are so many different ways of having sex, and so many different sexual fantasies, that your statement (and Chloe's) are entirely meaningless. It's an empty criticism.

Sometimes, sex really is like in porn. Sometimes, it's not. The reality is that there's so many different ways of having sex. And porn reflects that reality, because there is literally porn for every type and way of having sex, and for every fetish.

4) Pornography does not encourage violence. Now, there is the element of violent sex that is a genre of porn, but such fantasies are brought about by the demand from the audience. There are people, men and women that do like rape fantasies, choking fantasies etc. Again, most audiences know that pornography is not real.

Agreed. It's also better that people play these fantasies out through porn rather than in real life. Porn, in that sense, is positive for society.

5) It is debateable that porn has negative effects on children but ccording to some researchers, there is indeed some truth in the fact that internet porn seekers among the youth demographic can lead to some harmful effects, but according to other studies, "typical of young people, exposure to pornography on the Internet can be described as a normative experience, and more study of its impact is clearly warranted." (See:http://online.liebertpub.com...

Yeah, porn has no negative effects on children. Not by itself. If the children are told that porn is bad, and they grow up in a sexually repressive society, then sure, porn will have negative effects, because it creates a bunch of dumb conflicts for children to maneuver psychologically, and that's where neurotic symptoms might start.
YYW
Posts: 36,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 6:06:55 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

No, and there is absolutely no competent evidence to suggest that it is.

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
3. Married men and women
4. The actors that perform in it

It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

There is no evidence in existence to suggest that porn is harmful.
Tsar of DDO
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:34:18 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 12:44:25 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/18/2016 12:30:11 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:35:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:35:03 AM, Godgirl wrote:
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:

I'm 14, so I haven't ever seen any pornography (thank goodness). I have read some smut, and I think it kinda messed me up.

If smut truly messed you up then you wouldn't have the wherewithal to come to that conclusion in the first place.

Fair point.

btw, what he's trying to say is that someone who understands they're messed up is messed up for being able to understand that.

yep
it really gives a false view of what sex really is and a warped perception of body image, tons of things people can list.
Archaholic
Posts: 249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 4:02:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:50:21 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 5:16:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Porn is linked to erectile dysfunction and tolerance to sexual pleasure (which means it becomes more difficult to enjoy sex) but beyond that I don't know of what else research has found.
Whereas pornography in excess may diminish brain activity and dull responses to sexual stimulation, that correlation is rather weak. Rather, porn-induced erectile dysfunction occurs because the man in question has been masturbating too much. The cure for this is a so-called rebooting period where masturbation is drastically reduced over 1-3 months.

Another factor here is that men are more easily aroused by visual stimuli than women (https://labs.psych.ucsb.edu...), which means that women and men will approach this issue differently. As such, access to porn will (likely) be more precious to men and less so to women.

Indeed.

I"d like to add that excess of everything is bad. Porn is harmless when it doesn"t take over. Although there are certain groups that could be more vulnerable to porn, like teenagers.
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 4:51:57 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 1:28:08 AM, one2one wrote:
In your opinion is pronography damaging to society?

Think of porns impact on a few key groups of people:
1. Young people exposed to it
Well, of course pornography can affect young people negatively. They have no idea what's going on. They have no idea what relationships and sex are about, and they are extremely impressionable.
2. College aged students (does it promote aggressive sexual behaviour)
I don't think that it promotes aggressive sexual behavior. I think that can be attributed to stupidity, alcohol, and parties. Also probably a higher sex drive.
3. Married men and women
Many married men and women actually turn to pornography to spice up their love life and aid their relationship.
4. The actors that perform in it
If starring in pornography was so terrible and affected people so horribly, why would people do it to make a living? There are a lot easier jobs than pornography, and I am sure that some of them pay better.
It's my opinion that porn affects all these groups negatively. What do you guys think ?

I think pornography is perfectly fine. It is a safe way to live out your sexual desires and fantasies and relieve stress. So long as you still realize that sex in porn is not the same as sex or a relationship in real life.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Archaholic
Posts: 249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 4:59:23 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I want to pose another question. Which is better, erotic movies or pornography? They are not the same, and I am not just talking about expliciteness. I would rather watch erotic movies because I find them less harm than pornography.

Regards.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 10:45:48 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
What a silly question.

Like anything, food, gambling, home shopping network, drugs, alcohol, collecting cars/stamps/coins/hello kitty/elephant figurines... it's all in how an individual utilizes it.

Jesus Christ there are some hypersensitive people in this world. Please, government and enlightened individuals, protect us from ourselves because we have zero control over the stimulus we seek out and the joy and pleasure we get from collecting hello kitty-3 way lesbian pegging male cuckhold porn! We have no control over our actions!!!!

meh
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2016 11:11:12 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/27/2016 10:45:48 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
What a silly question.

Like anything, food, gambling, home shopping network, drugs, alcohol, collecting cars/stamps/coins/hello kitty/elephant figurines... it's all in how an individual utilizes it.

Jesus Christ there are some hypersensitive people in this world. Please, government and enlightened individuals, protect us from ourselves because we have zero control over the stimulus we seek out and the joy and pleasure we get from collecting hello kitty-3 way lesbian pegging male cuckhold porn! We have no control over our actions!!!!

meh

Oddly specific porn, but that's none of my business.
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin