Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Though Insensitive, Was Trump Jr. Wrong?

Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:53:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Trump Jr. recently made a graphic referring Syrian refugees to a bowl of skittles. Though it is insensitive, was he wrong in his statement about the dangers?

Read More: http://www.cnn.com...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 2:36:46 PM
At 9/20/2016 1:53:48 PM, Fernyx wrote:
Trump Jr. recently made a graphic referring Syrian refugees to a bowl of skittles. Though it is insensitive, was he wrong in his statement about the dangers?

Yes.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 5:54:14 PM

It's funny that the people who are outraged over this usually mock the 'dumb American' stereotype, while proving that they don't understand what a basic analogy is. Saying that 'skittles are candy, refugees are people' is starting the obvious, using it as an argument reveals that you think that every analogy is an absolute comparison, when the entire point of an analogy is that it isn't absolute, it's meant to examine one particular shared quality. But I guess that's what you get when logic isn't a required course.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:21:56 PM

How many children are going to die, become orphans, or homeless and in poverty if I don't take a handful? This is part of why the analogy is stupid.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:26:48 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:21:56 PM, Burzmali wrote:

How many children are going to die, become orphans, or homeless and in poverty if I don't take a handful? This is part of why the analogy is stupid.

But that raises the question, is America responsible for the world? Should we even get involved?
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:28:17 PM
At 9/20/2016 2:36:46 PM, desmac wrote:

Yes.

There has been a high increase in crime in places such as Germany where they take in migrants in mass, Cologne being most notable. Isn't it dangerous to risk the same thing in America?
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:30:16 PM
At 9/20/2016 5:54:14 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

It's funny that the people who are outraged over this usually mock the 'dumb American' stereotype, while proving that they don't understand what a basic analogy is. Saying that 'skittles are candy, refugees are people' is starting the obvious, using it as an argument reveals that you think that every analogy is an absolute comparison, when the entire point of an analogy is that it isn't absolute, it's meant to examine one particular shared quality. But I guess that's what you get when logic isn't a required course.

Not saying that comparing them to skittles is insensitive, just saying they are coming over only to destroy America. I personally don't disagree with what he is saying.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:33:00 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:26:48 PM, Fernyx wrote:

But that raises the question, is America responsible for the world? Should we even get involved?

Good question. We see people suffering while we have the power to help them. That alone seems like enough reason to get involved.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:38:24 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:30:16 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Not saying that comparing them to skittles is insensitive, just saying they are coming over only to destroy America. I personally don't disagree with what he is saying.

They are not coming to destroy America, they are coming to escape a brutal civil war that has already killed over half a million people, and shows no sign of ending.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:42:47 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:38:24 PM, desmac wrote:
At 9/20/2016 6:30:16 PM, Fernyx wrote:

They are not coming to destroy America, they are coming to escape a brutal civil war that has already killed over half a million people, and shows no sign of ending.

In cologne they had a rape crisis, and in Britain they have refugee groups protesting for Sharia.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:44:24 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:33:00 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Good question. We see people suffering while we have the power to help them. That alone seems like enough reason to get involved.

But if it is a potential risk, is it worth it to endanger the country. I feel like there are risks of bringing in lots of refugees unless they are well documented.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:53:59 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:44:24 PM, Fernyx wrote:

But if it is a potential risk, is it worth it to endanger the country. I feel like there are risks of bringing in lots of refugees unless they are well documented.

We should be weighing the risks and considering the benefits, which is the point of my original question. A tiny minority of refugees, as far as I know, could be threats to us. But we do know that every other person we bring in will be better off than they would have been in Syria in the middle of a war. Furthermore, there's research indicating that refugees provide long-term benefits to the countries that take them in. The recycled Skittles analogy ignores that.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 7:12:39 PM

So what should he have used as an example that would have been ok? Nothing. Skittles are popular, most people know what they are, different colors representing diversity, usually a few defects so some different sizes, there's a letter "S" on them, sanctuary starts with "s"
2nd best choice would have been M&M for similar reasons, but they do have brown ones so....
Candy he thankfully didn't pick in no specific order
Hot Tamales
War Heads
Sour Patch kids, regular, watermelon or berry flavor (berry is the absolute best)
I think there's others, but those are the best known, most popular
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 7:25:37 PM

I think most would agree, how we do it and where is the real issue, if talk was about safe zones/areas in their own countries don't you think that would be more productive and beneficial to those you wish to help, wouldn't be the push back and controversy you see now. First think I thought of was Travon Martin, although didn't they say there was no evidence he had them, doesn't matter. It's politically incorrect, but isn't that part of their success? Offending the overly sensitive and sjw is unavoidable no matter what, if they can't play the victim they will look for us to attach too even when none really exist.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 8:00:32 PM

"If I had a bowl of skittles and I told you just three would kill you. Would you take a handful? That's our Syrian refugee problem."

He's not wrong.

The analogy implies that there are 3 killer skittles within the bowl of otherwise harmless skittles, would you take a handful AND EAT THEM on the probability that you'll pick up the deadly skittles, therefore killing yourself. Granted 100K+ is really abysmal for USA, but honesty the peaceful silent majority are irrelevant when it only took 6 people to kill 3000+.

It begs the question;
Has Europe experienced any positive results from hosting the Syrian refugees?

Should Americans willfully ignore the crisis Europe is experiencing with refugees for the sake of moral superiority over logic and common sense?

Do you honestly believe USA's hosting outcome will produce different results?
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 9:01:00 PM
At 9/20/2016 7:54:46 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
How about just don't dehumanize people. Human lives are not skittles.

someone needs a hug, why are you putting your own emotional value in the statement? you are interpenetrating with your own values instead of looking exactly what was said, put your own spin on it if you wish, doesn't mean it's true. Btw lots of people love skittles, so if I do the same thing as you, I will say it was a compliment.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 9:04:15 PM
At 9/20/2016 7:25:37 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I think most would agree, how we do it and where is the real issue, if talk was about safe zones/areas in their own countries don't you think that would be more productive and beneficial to those you wish to help, wouldn't be the push back and controversy you see now.

You want us to set up safe zones in Syria? How do we do that without invading Syria?

First think I thought of was Travon Martin, although didn't they say there was no evidence he had them, doesn't matter. It's politically incorrect, but isn't that part of their success? Offending the overly sensitive and sjw is unavoidable no matter what, if they can't play the victim they will look for us to attach too even when none really exist.

I can't parse any of that in a way that makes it relevant to this thread.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 10:08:42 PM

Now, I'd like to point something out here. Idk if what I'm going to compare this to is accurate or not, but I used to think "Man, there are all these countries that are so much less fortunate than ours. Why don't we go give them stuff and help them so they are more fortunate like us?"

Of course, now, whenever I think that, I remember that's basically what the Europeans said when they came over to the New World and wiped out large populations of natives.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 10:35:14 PM
At 9/20/2016 9:04:15 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 9/20/2016 7:25:37 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I think most would agree, how we do it and where is the real issue, if talk was about safe zones/areas in their own countries don't you think that would be more productive and beneficial to those you wish to help, wouldn't be the push back and controversy you see now.

You want us to set up safe zones in Syria? How do we do that without invading Syria?

It's politically incorrect, but isn't that part of their success? Offending the overly sensitive and sjw is unavoidable no matter what, if they can't play the victim they will look for us to attach too even when none really exist.

I can't parse any of that in a way that makes it relevant to this thread.

edited to help you, safe zones have been discussed neighboring countries with similar or the same language and culture, and yes it may require taking back part of the country, which the U.N. or coalition should do. So many better options for these people than bringing them here, put yourself in their shoes if you can.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 11:33:29 PM
At 9/20/2016 9:01:00 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

someone needs a hug, why are you putting your own emotional value in the statement? you are interpenetrating with your own values instead of looking exactly what was said, put your own spin on it if you wish, doesn't mean it's true. Btw lots of people love skittles, so if I do the same thing as you, I will say it was a compliment.

Me saying human lives don't equate to a bowl of candy is controversial? Even if the analogy was mathematically equal and I don't think it is, there's a big difference between me personally eating a bunch of candy and children with no place to go.

When did America become such pvssies? 9/11 seriously made us curl into a fetal position for 15 years. I'm not even saying we owe an obligation to these people. But damn we're afraid of children?
#BlackLivesMatter
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:27:41 AM

I very much agree. What do you think of this particular analogy?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:28:06 AM
At 9/20/2016 6:28:17 PM, Fernyx wrote:
At 9/20/2016 2:36:46 PM, desmac wrote:

Yes.

There has been a high increase in crime in places such as Germany where they take in migrants in mass, Cologne being most notable. Isn't it dangerous to risk the same thing in America?

Yes, it is a very real, pressing danger.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:30:21 AM

It's an analogous reference. It's not comparing human lives to skittles, but the danger that can be represented with blindly taking an unregulated sample.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:34:43 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:27:41 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

It serves the point well enough. It's meant to address the 'there's only this small chance' argument by putting the nature of the threat in perspective.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:36:14 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:34:43 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

It serves the point well enough. It's meant to address the 'there's only this small chance' argument by putting the nature of the threat in perspective.

I would agree. Out of curiosity, what is your position on the controversy at hand? Do you support the US being more lax with its borders to take in more refugees?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:46:16 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:36:14 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I would agree. Out of curiosity, what is your position on the controversy at hand? Do you support the US being more lax with its borders to take in more refugees?

I think that we ought to join forces with Russia, and prop up Assad under the condition that Syria will then be resettled. This disaster is, after all, our fault. We do not, however, have an obligation to take these people in and make them citizens. We have an obligation to make right the tragedy which they are fleeing and to help them return to their homeland.

As to immigration, I think that if it's done it needs to be done correctly, which means that the families which come are spread out as widely as possible across the US, and that we don't allow a situation to form where we have all of them living in one neighborhood. For example, if we're getting 100,000 in, and the average family size is four, that's 25,000 families. We have 3,000 counties in the US, so we look to settle 7 or so families in each county, and we try to enroll them in different school districts so that in one generation their children will more or less be assimilated into US culture and can begin a steady SEC climb. If they can't accept those terms, well then they don't actually feel any loyalty to this country or its culture and do not belong here.

I am categorically opposed to any immigration under Democrat administrations, as they will just do what they always do: dump the refugees into ready-made ethnic enclaves.
- Hilaire Belloc -
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 1:21:26 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:46:16 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I think that we ought to join forces with Russia, and prop up Assad under the condition that Syria will then be resettled. This disaster is, after all, our fault. We do not, however, have an obligation to take these people in and make them citizens. We have an obligation to make right the tragedy which they are fleeing and to help them return to their homeland.

As to immigration, I think that if it's done it needs to be done correctly, which means that the families which come are spread out as widely as possible across the US, and that we don't allow a situation to form where we have all of them living in one neighborhood. For example, if we're getting 100,000 in, and the average family size is four, that's 25,000 families. We have 3,000 counties in the US, so we look to settle 7 or so families in each county, and we try to enroll them in different school districts so that in one generation their children will more or less be assimilated into US culture and can begin a steady SEC climb. If they can't accept those terms, well then they don't actually feel any loyalty to this country or its culture and do not belong here.

I am categorically opposed to any immigration under Democrat administrations, as they will just do what they always do: dump the refugees into ready-made ethnic enclaves.

totally agree
but geez give the government a break, it's not like they accidentally gave a bunch of people citizenship by mistake instead of deporting them, and then they gained access and jobs to sensitive areas like air ports and law enforcement, I mean serious that would never happen ha ha ha um......
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 2:00:07 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:46:16 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

That makes sense. I think it's idiotic that the US continues to support overthrowing Assad while Putin is holding him up. It's a never-ending cycle of tragedy as it is. Assad is the lesser of two evils (we don't want ISIS to get full control when Assad relinquishes power).

That's reasonable. If they don't have the loyalty to accept the opportunity we would give them (which is much better than the current state of Syria, even in Chicago), they aren't loyal enough.

Yes, I very much agree. Merkel got herself into some hot water. I don't want the same trouble over here.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 2:26:33 AM
I love the "invade the world, invite the world" national security approach. I can't think of any better policy than destabilizing the islamic world for decades, importing millions of muslims, and then scratching our heads when terrorism happens.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right