Jump to topic:

I like what I've got!

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 8:54:21 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I can't help but notice all of the problems people have with other people. If I didn't watch the news I'd be pretty darn satisfied. I really like where I live, so much so that I'm gonna rant about it. Feel free to join.

Though unemployment isn't the greatest, there are good paying jobs everywhere! People are generally nice to me. I leave my door unlocked everyday without worrying. I keep stuff in the back of my truck that has never been stolen. My friends are great and uplifting. I love the culture here. Everyone is friendly and generally religious but also stay on their side of the fence and let me be on mine. I'm free to do whatever I so choose. Police are extremely friendly, and sincerely there to help, not fine you. There is beautiful forest to my east, with extremely, almost to a fault, friendly people. There is beautifully desolate country to my west where you can be free and in the open. The city I live in is generally of lower income then many of the richer places I've seen, but we take such pride in it. Most of the houses are well kept, and the cars are maintained. Its not like other cities I've been to where they force you to do that. That's just our way. People don't make a lot of money, but stuff is pretty cheap here to so its easy to live comfortably.

The only thing I can really put against my city is the crime, which I suppose isn't as bad as other places, but still makes me worry about my weaker friends.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 8:58:06 PM
At 9/21/2016 8:54:21 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I can't help but notice all of the problems people have with other people. If I didn't watch the news I'd be pretty darn satisfied. I really like where I live, so much so that I'm gonna rant about it. Feel free to join.

Though unemployment isn't the greatest, there are good paying jobs everywhere! People are generally nice to me. I leave my door unlocked everyday without worrying. I keep stuff in the back of my truck that has never been stolen. My friends are great and uplifting. I love the culture here. Everyone is friendly and generally religious but also stay on their side of the fence and let me be on mine. I'm free to do whatever I so choose. Police are extremely friendly, and sincerely there to help, not fine you. There is beautiful forest to my east, with extremely, almost to a fault, friendly people. There is beautifully desolate country to my west where you can be free and in the open. The city I live in is generally of lower income then many of the richer places I've seen, but we take such pride in it. Most of the houses are well kept, and the cars are maintained. Its not like other cities I've been to where they force you to do that. That's just our way. People don't make a lot of money, but stuff is pretty cheap here to so its easy to live comfortably.

The only thing I can really put against my city is the crime, which I suppose isn't as bad as other places, but still makes me worry about my weaker friends.

Oh and another thing. Outsiders from big metro areas don't usually understand this, but I always liked that all the businesses, even big 24/7 chains are closed on Sunday mornings. Worry free Sunday mornings are such a great part about our culture, and I feel in addition to guaranteeing people make it to their church, it also puts aside time for people to put everything away, and tend to their families and whatnot.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 8:58:16 PM

What city do you live in?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 8:59:41 PM
At 9/21/2016 8:58:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Guess if you think you can.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 9:06:03 PM

I don't know if you intended it or not, but your opening two sentences really reflect a strange phenomenon that seems to be going on in the US. Despite the fact that life is generally better for everyone in the country compared to 30 years ago, polls indicate that people are overwhelmingly pessimistic about the state of society. And 24 hour exposure to bad news seems to be a big cause of it.

Anyway, I feel generally the same way you do about my own situation. Good family, good job, plenty of leisure activities that make me happy... If folks were a little more reflective of what they have, I think they'd feel better about the world in general.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 1:16:31 PM
At 9/21/2016 8:59:41 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Canada ?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 3:42:24 PM

it's all about perspective, experience and desire, someone from a third world nation, starving and living in a cardboard box would think some of our poorest are mansions. Again live comfortably doesn't require, computer, internet, tv etc etc, it's good that you are happy, we all have the opportunity to be, either by changing our circumstances or perspective, thing can always be worse, and always could be better.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:23:58 PM

Aleppo.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 6:57:44 PM
At 9/22/2016 1:16:31 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Canada ?

Pretty darn close...You deserve a cookie