YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 1:31:34 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Take the "skin tone" IAT.

https://implicit.harvard.edu...

I got "strong automatic preference for dark skinned people over light skinned people," which really surprised me.

Post your results here.

As an aside, this test is uncomfortable to take.... or at least it made me really uncomfortable.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 2:36:27 AM
Slight for light over dark, which is exactly what I expected. My biggest problem was switching to the second set. I form habits strongly when I do things like this, so I kept trying to associate certain things with the last color that they were associated with. For example, the first was 'bad with white' and 'good with black', so I kept trying to do that as an automated response.

I also think that people probably 'cheat' on the test because they don't want to get a bad score. It would be pretty easy to deliberately make mistakes in order to balance out a suspected bias.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:30:04 AM
At 9/22/2016 1:31:34 AM, YYW wrote:

I got "strong automatic preference for dark skinned people over light skinned people," which really surprised me.

That is indeed surprising.

Post your results here.

As an aside, this test is uncomfortable to take.... or at least it made me really uncomfortable.

I've taken this test before. Both last time I took it, and this time, I got no preference.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:35:58 AM
At 9/22/2016 5:30:04 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

That is indeed surprising.

I know, I expected it to tell me I had a slight preference for white people. Quite the opposite, indeed. The preference was strong, and it was for darker skinned people. Did I mention I'm white? lol.

Post your results here.

I've taken this test before. Both last time I took it, and this time, I got no preference.

Interesting.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:36:45 AM
At 9/22/2016 2:36:27 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Slight for light over dark, which is exactly what I expected. My biggest problem was switching to the second set. I form habits strongly when I do things like this, so I kept trying to associate certain things with the last color that they were associated with. For example, the first was 'bad with white' and 'good with black', so I kept trying to do that as an automated response.

I had a similar issue.... I think?

I also think that people probably 'cheat' on the test because they don't want to get a bad score. It would be pretty easy to deliberately make mistakes in order to balance out a suspected bias.

Idk if mistakes are how they measure it.
Tsar of DDO
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:38:29 AM
At 9/22/2016 5:36:45 AM, YYW wrote:

If not that, then it's reaction time, which is even more easy to game.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:41:28 AM
At 9/22/2016 5:38:29 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/22/2016 5:36:45 AM, YYW wrote:

If not that, then it's reaction time, which is even more easy to game.

Well there may be other things too... like response time relative to other response times; and there's a number of ways those can be interplayed... and there's multiple different sections that would all have to be gamed...

So, I'm not sure that's as easy as you suggest... but I am highly skeptical of my result.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:45:42 AM
I put nearly no faith in the results of this test. Like Skep said, so much is dependent on reflexes and habits; unless EVERYTHING about motor functions and cognition as they relate to the task are dependent on implicit associations, then the results are flawed.

Of course, all tests have some level of uncertainty inherent in their results, but something like this, moreso.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:49:50 AM
At 9/22/2016 5:35:58 AM, YYW wrote:
I know, I expected it to tell me I had a slight preference for white people. Quite the opposite, indeed. The preference was strong, and it was for darker skinned people. Did I mention I'm white? lol.

Yeah. I'm curious how that happened. What sorts of folks were you surrounded by growing up? Were your best friends black or hispanic? Favorite teachers?

What's also interesting is that I've had friends of mine who are black take this, and they've had the reverse happen, though it was only a slight preference for light skinned, not a strong one. Of course, that isn't as surprising, for obvious reasons.

Interesting.

I don't think it's too interesting... I have really fast reaction times (one of the reasons I'm naturally really good at video games without ever playing them), so it's not surprising. My answers were basically instant, so there's no way to express a preference in either direction.

Also, remember that discussion we had on unconscious racism? You insisted it wasn't possible. Did you change your mind on that?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 5:59:48 AM
At 9/22/2016 5:49:50 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/22/2016 5:35:58 AM, YYW wrote:

Yeah. I'm curious how that happened. What sorts of folks were you surrounded by growing up? Were your best friends black or hispanic? Favorite teachers?

A lot of my friends were (and still are) Hispanic, Indian, Middle Eastern or Asian. Even though I grew up in a fairly white area, the school I went to had a lot of immigrant kids there. When in the forums I reference friends I have from far away places (like Pakistan, China, India, or friends who have emigrated to the United States from wherever) those are people that I regularly stay in contact with.

I'd say there was about a fairly even ratio of white to non-white friends. I've also had some very close people in my life who were black and two black professors as well as one local black politician I'm good friends with (though with whom I haven't kept in good contact, since I went to law school).

What's also interesting is that I've had friends of mine who are black take this, and they've had the reverse happen, though it was only a slight preference for light skinned, not a strong one. Of course, that isn't as surprising, for obvious reasons.

Idk. I was shocked at my result, and still am. It's been in the forefront of my mind since I took it earlier today. I expected a strong white preference, though I was informed that my "data" suggested otherwise.

Interesting.

I don't think it's too interesting... I have really fast reaction times (one of the reasons I'm naturally really good at video games without ever playing them), so it's not surprising. My answers were basically instant, so there's no way to express a preference in either direction.

Idk. My reaction times are sufficient to win a bar fight. That's what I know. I can also type pretty fast. But I'd be terrible at video games...

For example, this guy I'm sort of seeing right now is quite a fan of some of the first person shooters, and he beats me every time.

Also, remember that discussion we had on unconscious racism? You insisted it wasn't possible. Did you change your mind on that?

No. I am skeptical of my results because of how inconsistent they are with my understanding of myself. I think I know more about my attitudes and beliefs than a fifteen minute test.
Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 7:12:49 AM

Post your results here.

I got "no automatic preference between Dark Skinned People and Light Skinned People."
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 11:47:56 AM
My result: Your data suggest a weak automatic preference for Black People over White People.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 12:23:46 PM
My skin tone result: Automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 12:52:49 PM
At 9/22/2016 12:23:46 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:
My skin tone result: Automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People

Here is your result:
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Light Skinned People over Dark Skinned People.

Your result is described as an "Automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People"

eh? data and results conflict? Now mind you I think this has entertainment value only, but why does it conflict? Also switching the keys around etc was a bit problematic for me.
I'm a slightly religious conservative, this all should read strong preference for light skinned people, the liberals said so!!! How can this be? Are we in the matrix? Is there NO spoon, going to curl up the fetal position for a while, I'll be back later.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 12:56:06 PM

for sure, but I think they somehow weigh the speed in which you answer so it's more of an automatic response rather than a rational thinking one, now keep in mind the one part was black and bad was the first choice, so they implanted an association that back = bad right at the beginning, don't know if the accounted for that, some wouldn't notice, others would and would over correct for this, hard to say, but it was entertaining.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 9:54:13 PM

Post your results here.

I got no preference.
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 12:17:40 AM
At 9/22/2016 12:52:49 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Here is your result:
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Light Skinned People over Dark Skinned People.

Your result is described as an "Automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People"

eh? data and results conflict? Now mind you I think this has entertainment value only, but why does it conflict? Also switching the keys around etc was a bit problematic for me.
I'm a slightly religious conservative, this all should read strong preference for light skinned people, the liberals said so!!! How can this be? Are we in the matrix? Is there NO spoon, going to curl up the fetal position for a while, I'll be back later.

ok, ok, ok here's the make or break question of all time: A ZEBRA; is it black with white stripes or white with black stripes?

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:15:58 AM

Post your results here.

Hmmm interesting

"Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American."
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:55:11 AM
At 9/23/2016 12:17:40 AM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

Here is your result:

ok, ok, ok here's the make or break question of all time: A ZEBRA; is it black with white stripes or white with black stripes?

lol, what if it's albino?
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 10:56:32 AM
At 9/23/2016 1:55:11 AM, kevin24018 wrote:

Here is your result:

Black with white stripes = Zebra

Albino zebra with invisible black stripes= Michael Jackson

Albino Zebra= Michael Jackson

Problem solved!

kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 1:12:06 PM
At 9/23/2016 10:56:32 AM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:
At 9/23/2016 1:55:11 AM, kevin24018 wrote:

Here is your result:

Black with white stripes = Zebra

Albino zebra with invisible black stripes= Michael Jackson

Albino Zebra= Michael Jackson

Problem solved!

actually you have to ask the zebra if it's black with white stripes or white with black stripes, gender also, just saying. they are triggered by the word "lion" fyi
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 8:32:43 PM
At 9/22/2016 7:12:49 AM, tejretics wrote:

Post your results here.

I got "no automatic preference between Dark Skinned People and Light Skinned People."

Me to. The website said, we are like 19% of people who took the test. WOOOO HOOO! LOOK AT ME! I'm boring!
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:18:22 AM

Here is your result:

The former is *your* result. The latter is what your result is "described as," i.e. an example. The latter is just used to show you what the result looks like.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:51:53 AM
When I took one of these tests, I would always have a preference for whatever was shown first. I recall in the Black-White test, Whites and positive words/Blacks and negative words were shown before Blacks and positive words/Whites and negative words. Hence, why it stated I had a slight preference for Whites over Blacks.

I also do recall taking the gender career test, and it stated that I had slight bias towards viewing women in office and men at home, but that was only because women/office were shown first.

It was the same result with perhaps every test, it stated I had a preference for whichever one was displayed first. I'm guessing it is because I get "tired" and loose response time/get more confused the longer I do it. And that's the exact reason why I find these tests to be absolute BS.