Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Radical Political Views

HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:11:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

Some sure. But I think some actually believe it. Like I'm a socialist and some people think that's radical but I really believe it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:16:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think people who assume others are just trying to be cool and noncomformist are probably just trying to be cool and nonconformist.

--Radical libertarian.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:16:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Radical? That seems a little subjective to me...

Let me guess, anarchism is radical to you?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:20:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I think most people displaying the tendency to psychologize those who have different views are just trying to make up for their lack of a sound counterargument. Thoughts?
djsherin
Posts: 343
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:21:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 7:20:18 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I think most people displaying the tendency to psychologize those who have different views are just trying to make up for their lack of a sound counterargument. Thoughts?

This.
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:21:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 7:11:19 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

Some people are, sure. But I think that some actually believe it. For instance, I'm a socialist and some people think that it's radical but I really believe that it works.

Socialism is technically radical in that it would significantly change almost every country's constitution and it is a relatively new way of thinking.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:25:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 7:20:18 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I think most people displaying the tendency to psychologize those who have different views are just trying to make up for their lack of a sound counterargument. Thoughts?

This, this and this.

Seriously. I get this so much and it annoys the heck out of me.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:30:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think that atheists only say they don't believe in god so that they can go around sinning.

Those godless communist bastards.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:31:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?:

Some, definitely. Particularly pre-pubescent teens because they think it screams sophistication to the world.

There's no way to quantify whether or not "most" do this. There are some people who really are radical, and actually if you were to lure them out of the closest, their views are probably even more radical than what they openly display.

The Holocaust proves this. The Rape of Nanking proves this. The Great Purge proves this. Some people go off the deep end, and their reasons are innumerable.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:36:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 7:30:03 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I think that atheists only say they don't believe in god so that they can go around sinning.

Those godless communist bastards.:

Burn the witch!!! He knows too much!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:42:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I know its been said but I think people that make hasty generalizations are just trying to be cool and seem smart without providing any actual arguments.

Especially seeing as how socialism is considered radical, thus so is communism, ad anarchy, then all you have left is basically people that agree with the system, or people who want to go backwards in the system (usually conservatives, but not all of them. I know you know the types I'm talking about, where they want to take away women's and gays rights or avoid giving them, and often are racist)
left, and the second group, would be the same as the socialist group as far as no one ACTUALLY believing that, if what you say is true.

Which brings me to the point, that having different thoughts and opinions is not grounds for saying people just want to not conform. Sometimes, people just DON'T conform, without it being a conscience effort.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:19:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 7:11:19 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

Some sure. But I think some actually believe it. Like I'm a socialist and some people think that's radical but I really believe it.

That's fine if your beliefs are legit, but I tend to find that alot are just teens who are trying to rebel. Just give it a few years and a radical teen will stop being radical.

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:22:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:19:12 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 7:11:19 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

Some sure. But I think some actually believe it. Like I'm a socialist and some people think that's radical but I really believe it.

That's fine if your beliefs are legit, but I tend to find that alot are just teens who are trying to rebel. Just give it a few years and a radical teen will stop being radical.

Seriously? Lol. What a popular stereotype.

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.

Hello, I'm a radical teenager named Ann. What's your name?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:22:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:19:12 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 7:11:19 PM, rogue wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

Some sure. But I think some actually believe it. Like I'm a socialist and some people think that's radical but I really believe it.

That's fine if your beliefs are legit, but I tend to find that alot are just teens who are trying to rebel. Just give it a few years and a radical teen will stop being radical.

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.


Defend yourself, especially the bold.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:26:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:22:18 PM, annhasle wrote:

Seriously? Lol. What a popular stereotype.

From what I've seen, not really.

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.

Hello, I'm a radical teenager named Ann. What's your name?

I'm Shelly. ;-D

Hi radical teenager named Ann.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:29:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:22:49 PM, lovelife wrote:

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.


Defend yourself, especially the bold.

Communism is just another form of anarchism, at least pure marxism is anyway. Teenagers just hate authority. ;-D
Besides, it's impossibe for communism to work in practice as history has shown us although there's a slight chance it could work in small groups. Try following a practical ideology for once.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:35:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Communism will work if it is run by machines who also are in charge of production.

The techno god is our only salvation. >.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:35:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:26:19 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:22:18 PM, annhasle wrote:

Seriously? Lol. What a popular stereotype.

From what I've seen, not really.

Well, I'm an anarchist. And before you assume anything, let me give you the foundation. Yes, I actually do wear black, I cannot stand authority, I've been known to rebel and I do not have much respect for politicians and absolutely none for the concept of government.

Now, that's all well and good, but here's why I'm an anarchist:
- there is no logical premise authority without consent. Government exists without the consent of those being manipulated and oppressed.
- the justification for government is usually to "keep people in line" or make sure that there is abuses of freedom or power. But the government itself abuses its power and freedom the most. It's a coercive and monopolistic force which has THE power and therefore controls everything.
- I do not believe in natural rights. However, I do not see any logical premise for inequality. Now, I do not have a problem with discrimination -- businesses do it all the time to remain running efficiently. And I do realize that people are inequal -- some are more intelligent, handsome, fast, strong, etc. However, and this is where my stance truly lies, there is no logical premise for taking those inequalities and using them as justification for assuming power over another. To remain logical but also efficient, power must be voluntarily given and properly dispersed.
- Humans are fallible. Power corrupts -- look at the government now. The ethics hearings are so fallacious. There's no accountability. <sigh>

I could go on but I think you see the point...

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.

Hello, I'm a radical teenager named Ann. What's your name?

I'm Shelly. ;-D

Hi radical teenager named Ann.

Lol. Have you been on DDO before, Shelly? You are very quick to jump into the forums and start posting. :)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:36:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:35:08 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Communism will work if it is run by machines who also are in charge of production.

The techno god is our only salvation. >.>

All hail the techno god! *bows*
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:40:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:35:13 PM, annhasle wrote:

Well, I'm an anarchist. And before you assume anything, let me give you the foundation. Yes, I actually do wear black, I cannot stand authority, I've been known to rebel and I do not have much respect for politicians and absolutely none for the concept of government.

Now, that's all well and good, but here's why I'm an anarchist:
- there is no logical premise authority without consent. Government exists without the consent of those being manipulated and oppressed.
- the justification for government is usually to "keep people in line" or make sure that there is abuses of freedom or power. But the government itself abuses its power and freedom the most. It's a coercive and monopolistic force which has THE power and therefore controls everything.
- I do not believe in natural rights. However, I do not see any logical premise for inequality. Now, I do not have a problem with discrimination -- businesses do it all the time to remain running efficiently. And I do realize that people are inequal -- some are more intelligent, handsome, fast, strong, etc. However, and this is where my stance truly lies, there is no logical premise for taking those inequalities and using them as justification for assuming power over another. To remain logical but also efficient, power must be voluntarily given and properly dispersed.
- Humans are fallible. Power corrupts -- look at the government now. The ethics hearings are so fallacious. There's no accountability. <sigh>

I could go on but I think you see the point...

Seems like some reasonable points made. As for discrimination, say two equally qualified people applied for the same job. One is white and one is black. Which one would you hire?

Lol. Have you been on DDO before, Shelly? You are very quick to jump into the forums and start posting. :)

No. I just found some interesting topics nd decided to jump in.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:46:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm an anarchist because I'm a Satan worshiping psyscho who loves throwing Molotov cocktails. Also, it's fun to do bad things.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:50:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I disagree. People with "radical" politics have put a lot more thought into their politics than the average person.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:54:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:40:40 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:35:13 PM, annhasle wrote:

Seems like some reasonable points made. As for discrimination, say two equally qualified people applied for the same job. One is white and one is black. Which one would you hire?

Anarchism is reasonable. ^_^

That is a horrible question -- skin color says nothing of your competency, intelligence, abilities, etc. And therefore, it would be a faulty premise to choose an employee off of.

Lol. Have you been on DDO before, Shelly? You are very quick to jump into the forums and start posting. :)

No. I just found some interesting topics nd decided to jump in.

Okay.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:55:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:50:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I disagree. People with "radical" politics have put a lot more thought into their politics than the average person.

Or grow moustaches, ride fixed gear bikes, wear lensless glasses, wear tight pants, listen to bad music, and drink PBR like water. Because it isn't popular.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 8:58:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:54:04 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:40:40 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:35:13 PM, annhasle wrote:

Seems like some reasonable points made. As for discrimination, say two equally qualified people applied for the same job. One is white and one is black. Which one would you hire?

Anarchism is reasonable. ^_^

That is a horrible question -- skin color says nothing of your competency, intelligence, abilities, etc. And therefore, it would be a faulty premise to choose an employee off of.

I just thought of it since you mentioned that businesses have a right to discriminate. :/ In some sense they do since they're the ones hiring people to fit their needs. In some sense businesses already discriminate when hiring; they obviously choose the person with more experience. wouldn't that be discriminatory against the people who are denied the job?

Lol. Have you been on DDO before, Shelly? You are very quick to jump into the forums and start posting. :)

No. I just found some interesting topics nd decided to jump in.

Okay.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 9:00:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:55:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:50:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/12/2011 5:28:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
I think most people displaying radical political views are just trying to be cool and non-conformist. Thoughts?

I disagree. People with "radical" politics have put a lot more thought into their politics than the average person.

Or grow moustaches, ride fixed gear bikes, wear lensless glasses, wear tight pants, listen to bad music, and drink PBR like water. Because it isn't popular.

HIPSTER!!!!!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 9:04:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:29:06 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:22:49 PM, lovelife wrote:

Also, btw, I don't really consider socialism to be radical. Communism, anarchism, fascism, etc. are.


Defend yourself, especially the bold.

Communism is just another form of anarchism, at least pure marxism is anyway. Teenagers just hate authority. ;-D

That's not entirely true. I have been accused of being communist and I am NOT an anarchist. I just think there needs o be some government, I believe that makes me minarchist, since I believe the only function of laws and governments is to protect people, mostly from violence (anything from kids at school beating other kids, to someone murdering or raping people), and child (well not just child, but its harder for a child to fight it off, and thus more important to protect them) abuse too (the kind that isn't physical and thus, violent, such as emotional, or mental abuse. The people that run Westboro would be punished under my system due to abuse)
Drugs and such should be no business of the government

Besides, it's impossibe for communism to work in practice as history has shown us although there's a slight chance it could work in small groups. Try following a practical ideology for once.

Fail. Many countries (Such as Spain) have lived quite well under communism, until other countries wanted to "free" them, and thus destroying everything.

I identify as socialist, but communism is close enough for me to be offended by that ;p

Plus its a debate site :p
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 9:06:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 8:58:40 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:54:04 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:40:40 PM, HatedeatH wrote:
At 1/12/2011 8:35:13 PM, annhasle wrote:

I just thought of it since you mentioned that businesses have a right to discriminate. :/ In some sense they do since they're the ones hiring people to fit their needs. In some sense businesses already discriminate when hiring; they obviously choose the person with more experience. wouldn't that be discriminatory against the people who are denied the job?

Well, that is justifiable -- obviously they need the more experienced if they want to remain in business.

The only ones I have problem with are ones like eye color, hair color, sexual orientation, etc. which contribute nothing to substantiating whether they would be a "good" employee or not.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
HatedeatH
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 9:08:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/12/2011 9:04:31 PM, lovelife wrote:

That's not entirely true. I have been accused of being communist and I am NOT an anarchist. I just think there needs o be some government, I believe that makes me minarchist, since I believe the only function of laws and governments is to protect people, mostly from violence (anything from kids at school beating other kids, to someone murdering or raping people), and child (well not just child, but its harder for a child to fight it off, and thus more important to protect them) abuse too (the kind that isn't physical and thus, violent, such as emotional, or mental abuse. The people that run Westboro would be punished under my system due to abuse)
Drugs and such should be no business of the government

Fair enough. I would probably be closest to a minarchist myself. Who f*cking cares what somebody is doing as long as they're not harming me?

Fail. Many countries (Such as Spain) have lived quite well under communism, until other countries wanted to "free" them, and thus destroying everything.

I identify as socialist, but communism is close enough for me to be offended by that ;p

Plus its a debate site :p

Well socialism =/=communism so just because you're a socialist it doesn't mean you're communist although the latter stems from the former. If you don't believe in violence revolution then chances are you're not a communist.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.