Jump to topic:

Look when you cross the road?

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 1:07:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I've encountered a mysterious phenomenon on a regular basis now and I'd like to discuss it. It seems that pedestrians who cross the street in front of my path of driving often don't bother to look to see if I am paying attention enough to kill them with my car. They will cross, knowing they have the right of way, and when I approach they will simply assume I am going to brake for them. I always do of course and I am an attentive driver, but wouldn't it make sense that if you cross you will continue to watch for traffic that might hit you?

Do you notice this while you are driving as well? I live in a sparsely-populated suburb (green bay) so we aren't exactly booming with pedestrian traffic, but maybe that is the problem - people aren't as street-smart about pedestrianism here.

Otherwise, I was wondering if there was another reason for it. Could it be that people are simply too proud to look? Is there a little bit of spite in that motivation to refuse to watch for the driver to make sure they are stopping? Perhaps, since they know they have the technical right of way, they feel it is beneath them to have to watch for cars. Another reason I thought of is that they are motivated by the prospect of being able to sue the driver. Hasn't society shown pretty convincingly that giving up anything, even your physical body, is worth the opportunity for a cash-grab?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:16:47 PM
At 9/24/2016 1:16:59 PM, Smithereens wrote:
When you drive you trust other drivers to not go out and kill you. Pedestrians have this very same trust.

Well I guess that just getting into the drivers seat puts me at risk, there's no denying that. I have to trust that drivers on cross streets aren't going to pull out and that oncoming traffic in undivided highways are going to stay in their lane (or else we will collide head-on). But there is a difference here: in these examples, the drivers are in charge of protecting their own lives just as much as mine. In any example of multiple-car collisions, the other drivers are just as much in danger as I am. But in a pedestrian-auto accident, it's only the pedestrian that is going to be crippled or killed. Hell, if the driver doesn't stop and there aren't too many people around they might not suffer any repercussions at all (besides guilt).

I think there's also something to be said about the fact that drivers are protected by tons of steel and plastic, seatbelts and airbags to protect them. A driver can choose not to enter the freeway as well, and the risk of death at lower speeds is not significant. My girlfriend's mother, for example, doesn't use the highway and takes back roads where ever she goes. But a pedestrian is just a meat sack ready to get obliterated by a vehicle. Hitting a person with a car is similar to hanging a squirrel from a rope and letting Alex Rodriguez take a home run swing at it. How can you possibly step out in front of a car without looking to see if the driver is watching and slowing down? Since it seems you may be the type to actually do so, I must ask you this: do you feel the driver ought to follow the rules, and that is your motivation for not looking? I have a feeling this phenomenon is based upon society's insistence that others be rule-followers. I've noticed rule-following is a source of comfort and morality for others, a source I dont share, and perhaps that is the basis for one not bothering to look to protect themself. Since I am not rule-follower by nature, I look at people when I cross because I draw no emotional benefit from trusting in rules.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 4:51:13 PM
At 9/24/2016 1:07:09 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I've encountered a mysterious phenomenon on a regular basis now and I'd like to discuss it. It seems that pedestrians who cross the street in front of my path of driving often don't bother to look to see if I am paying attention enough to kill them with my car. They will cross, knowing they have the right of way, and when I approach they will simply assume I am going to brake for them. I always do of course and I am an attentive driver, but wouldn't it make sense that if you cross you will continue to watch for traffic that might hit you?

Do you notice this while you are driving as well? I live in a sparsely-populated suburb (green bay) so we aren't exactly booming with pedestrian traffic, but maybe that is the problem - people aren't as street-smart about pedestrianism here.

Otherwise, I was wondering if there was another reason for it. Could it be that people are simply too proud to look? Is there a little bit of spite in that motivation to refuse to watch for the driver to make sure they are stopping? Perhaps, since they know they have the technical right of way, they feel it is beneath them to have to watch for cars. Another reason I thought of is that they are motivated by the prospect of being able to sue the driver. Hasn't society shown pretty convincingly that giving up anything, even your physical body, is worth the opportunity for a cash-grab?

I generally look first (and I run instead of walking).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:11:06 PM
When you drive you trust other drivers to not go out and kill you. Pedestrians have this very same trust.

+1
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 8:37:11 PM
At 9/24/2016 5:11:06 PM, Emmarie wrote:

+1

Since you also appear to be somebody who would refuse to watch for oncoming traffic, I ask you as well: do you refuse to look because you feel the driver ought to follow the rules? Does following the rules give you a sense of comfort?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 8:47:17 PM
At 9/24/2016 8:37:11 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

+1

Since you also appear to be somebody who would refuse to watch for oncoming traffic, I ask you as well: do you refuse to look because you feel the driver ought to follow the rules? Does following the rules give you a sense of comfort?
What? I'd watch for traffic, but cross at the same gait I'd walk at normally and determine if I should be able to cross based on the posted speed limit. If the car was speeding they should have to slow down to accommodate my speed. I shouldn't have to pick up my pace to avoid them having to break.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 10:24:14 PM
At 9/24/2016 8:47:17 PM, Emmarie wrote:

+1

What? I'd watch for traffic, but cross at the same gait I'd walk at normally and determine if I should be able to cross based on the posted speed limit. If the car was speeding they should have to slow down to accommodate my speed. I shouldn't have to pick up my pace to avoid them having to break.

So you will walk in front of a car without looking, but since they shouldn't be speeding then you shouldn't have to look to make sure you don't get hit? Keep in mind I am also talking about people who aren't speeding. One woman walked out in front of me yesterday while going normal speed, and I had to brake. Which is fine, but I'll be damned if she didnt even turn to take notice that *maybe* I might not have noticed her! People crossing in crosswalks and such have the right of way, there's no argument with that. But aren't you even interested in seeing if anybody is going to run you over?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 10:49:03 PM
At 9/24/2016 10:24:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

+1

So you will walk in front of a car without looking, but since they shouldn't be speeding then you shouldn't have to look to make sure you don't get hit? Keep in mind I am also talking about people who aren't speeding. One woman walked out in front of me yesterday while going normal speed, and I had to brake. Which is fine, but I'll be damned if she didnt even turn to take notice that *maybe* I might not have noticed her! People crossing in crosswalks and such have the right of way, there's no argument with that. But aren't you even interested in seeing if anybody is going to run you over?

I was taught to look BEFORE I cross the street. I shouldn't have to focus on the car while I am crossing. I don't step off the curb unless I think I will have enough time alloted by traffic to cross at the gait I was walking at.

Just because I don't stop before I cross the street doesn't mean I didn't look for traffic before actually stepping off the curb. You didn't read my first reply to you because I simply stated, "I'd watch for traffic, but cross at the same gait I'd walk at normally and determine if I should be able to cross based on the posted speed limit." I should have clarified that I'd cross based on where the car is and the posted speed limit, without speeding up my gait. I apologize for not being more clear.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 6:46:02 PM

I used to warn my girlfriend about the bad habit she had of following signs and signals instead of watching the drivers. She responded often enough with something along the lines of "I have the right" "they need to stop" etc... and I'd always be telling her that the laws of physics can and do overrule legal traffic laws, and paying more attention to the physical world might be a little better idea. I love her, but logic was not one of her strong suits.

Then she got hit while biking to work one day because she did NOT make eye contact with the driver and assumed they would follow the law. The driver was looking the other direction to check for traffic and didn't think to check the sidewalk. Its their fault legally. Its her fault personally. Either way, it should have been avoided.

The lesson I took from this......I still lose the argument because she is the woman, and didn't lose her life.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 6:49:57 PM

No I don't lol
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 6:50:47 PM

It's kinda like when a kid is being rebellious and decides to not do something their parents tell them to do. That, or they just don't care. Most often, it's because they assume you won't hit them, or aren't paying attention.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 6:53:32 PM
At 9/24/2016 10:24:14 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

+1

About a year ago, some guy was running across a street in my town. He had the right of way, it was at a stop light, oncoming traffic had the red light, and the crossing signal said he could cross. However, a car that was speeding ran the red light and killed him. People started putting running shoes around the crossing poles when it happened, and did it again recently (1-year anniversary).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 10:54:46 PM
At 9/25/2016 6:49:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

No I don't lol

As a driver or a ped?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 11:07:17 PM

I always look when I cross the road even if I have the right of way. In my opinion it's common sense to do so. It's important for government, parents, schools and society generally to encourage people to look before crossing the road.

Other people not looking and crossing the road would annoy me only if they were crossing when I as a driver had the right of way. I think these people are often distracted, ignorant of the potential danger or feel no danger when crossing in large crowds of people.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 1:08:08 AM
At 9/25/2016 10:54:46 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/25/2016 6:49:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

No I don't lol

As a driver or a ped?

Both! I'm a defensive driver :)