Jump to topic:

Alienation

flamebreath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 5:38:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is some one really abandoned or isolated from the rest of the world or is it just their philosophical view of their situation.
Psycho
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 7:18:23 AM
At 1/13/2011 5:38:35 AM, flamebreath wrote:
Is some one really abandoned or isolated from the rest of the world or is it just their philosophical view of their situation.:

That all depends on the person and the situation.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 10:47:29 AM
Is some one really abandoned or isolated from the rest of the world or is it just their philosophical view of their situation.

Usually i think it's fear. It's easier and safer to keep people away, push them away, and not connect. No risks, and isolation and alienation can turn into an indulgence of the individual.
flamebreath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 3:02:06 PM
At 1/13/2011 10:47:29 AM, innomen wrote:

Usually i think it's fear. It's easier and safer to keep people away, push them away, and not connect. No risks, and isolation and alienation can turn into an indulgence of the individual.

This is simply the way you see it. in every case the person seems to "not care" and ignore it however; the person is also facing many psychological breakdowns.
Psycho
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:22:44 PM
I'm alienated and alone. Has nothing to do with the fact that I'm scared or anything.

Most relationships I have are superficial. It's very rare that I find someone who I can relate to on an emotional or intellectual level.

Though, the people around me fall in two main categories.. Those who are hooked on drugs and those who are hooked on Jesus.

The ones who are hooked on drugs tend to be self centered wankers who wouldn't think twice about stealing your sh!t and trying to get you involved in things that will send you to jail.

The ones who are hooked on Jesus are so fvcking obsessed with it that it is impossible to hold a conversation with them without them quoting scripture or trying to convert you or something.

Oh yeah, and nothing is more asinine than an "empathetic" Christian who brings up the fact that your parents are dead, and that you will meet them again in the afterlife if only you believed in Jesus.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on some of the girls I've dated. It seems like the girls I meet tend to be emotionally unstable monster b!tches who aren't happy unless I completely bend over for them and let them put me on a leash. It never works.

Yeah, it's probably me. I'm sure my life would be fine if I cut my hair, converted to Christianity, started wearing polo shirts and did everything my girl asked of me without question.. But I'm neither desperate enough, or a big enough of a wuss to do so.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:25:49 PM
Don't get me wrong. Doesn't bug me too much. I am easily amused. I'm a grown man who laughs at stupid noises.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 5:18:42 PM
At 1/14/2011 4:31:24 PM, innomen wrote:
Sorry, should have included narcissists too.

You just jelly that I'm so sexy.

Even if you weren't talking about me, I totally think you are because I'm so vain. Did I mention that I'm sexy? I'm also awesome. I take my sexy awesomeness very serious. I'm also quite intelligent. In fact, I'm so intelligent that most people look like little monkeys to me, running around. Hey look, a banana little monkey! Go on, grab it! hah, silly monkey.

So, you are basically saying that people are alone for purely selfish reasons? Fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or because they are too self absorbed to connect?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 5:21:00 PM
At 1/14/2011 5:18:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/14/2011 4:31:24 PM, innomen wrote:
Sorry, should have included narcissists too.

You just jelly that I'm so sexy.

Even if you weren't talking about me, I totally think you are because I'm so vain. Did I mention that I'm sexy? I'm also awesome. I take my sexy awesomeness very serious. I'm also quite intelligent. In fact, I'm so intelligent that most people look like little monkeys to me, running around. Hey look, a banana little monkey! Go on, grab it! hah, silly monkey.

So, you are basically saying that people are alone for purely selfish reasons? Fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or because they are too self absorbed to connect?

Yep.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 5:31:31 PM
Yeah, I suppose the world would be a better place if everyone just did what they were told, let bullies have their way with them, give whatever was asked of them, and do it all with a smile.

Hey Jesus taught us to do that, and he was a pretty righteous dude. He did it, and look where it got him....

...The right hand side of god.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 7:40:35 PM
Aren't we ALL a little mentally ill?

http://img8.imageshack.us...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 8:05:41 PM
At 1/14/2011 7:40:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Well the Mad Hatter says we are all insane so . . . YEAH ! ! !
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
flamebreath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 8:22:19 PM
At 1/14/2011 7:40:35 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

That doesn't include been isolated from others and in many cases it is the sole product of alienation
Psycho
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 8:54:46 PM
So, you are basically saying that people are alone for purely selfish reasons? Fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or because they are too self absorbed to connect?:

Quite possible in a lot of cases. Some people don't stick their dick out their for the fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or too self-absorbed. Of course, they'd never openly admit that to you, and they may not even be consciously aware of it to admit it to themselves.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 8:59:13 PM
I think they are perfectly valid points. I agree that people can be alone for selfish reasons.

However, I also think that people tend to group together for selfish reasons too.

For the record, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being selfish. Hell, I'm of the opinion that you have to have a degree of selfishness in order to find contentedness.

Sometimes the most selfless thing you can do is to be selfish, and the most selfish thing you can do is to be selfless.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 9:04:11 PM
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being selfish.:

Nor do I, at least not in and of itself.
flamebreath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 9:38:09 PM
At 1/14/2011 8:54:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
So, you are basically saying that people are alone for purely selfish reasons? Fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or because they are too self absorbed to connect?:

Quite possible in a lot of cases. Some people don't stick their dick out their for the fear of rejection, of being taken advantage of, or too self-absorbed. Of course, they'd never openly admit that to you, and they may not even be consciously aware of it to admit it to themselves.

Maybe they try but are constantly rejected. It is not always the victims fault
Psycho
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:42:16 PM
At 1/14/2011 5:31:31 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yeah, I suppose the world would be a better place if everyone just did what they were told, let bullies have their way with them, give whatever was asked of them, and do it all with a smile.

Hey Jesus taught us to do that, and he was a pretty righteous dude. He did it, and look where it got him....

If Jesus = god's right hand and Mohammed is god's left hand, which hand does god jerk off with?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:45:47 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:42:16 PM, bluesteel wrote:

If Jesus = god's right hand and Mohammed is god's left hand,
Neither are neither.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:57:59 PM

If Jesus = god's right hand and Mohammed is god's left hand, which hand does god jerk off with?

He doesn't. Shiva gives him blow jobs.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:06:17 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:57:59 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

He doesn't. Shiva gives him blow jobs.

Well, if she doesn't swallow, that might explain why the ocean is so salty...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)