Metal...Is it Bad? Damaging?

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 3:09:48 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, on to the topic at hand. I would like to talk about rock and metal. I would like to discuss two things about these genres of music. First, are rock and metal bad? If so, why are they bad? What makes rock and metal any worse than any other genre of music? Second, are rock and metal damaging, either to society as a whole or development of the individual? If so, what makes it so damaging? Are any other genres of music damaging?

Please keep in mind that many people, including myself, have not taken courses on music or music theory. I want to talk about this for two reasons. One, I am a rock and metal fan. it is one of my favorite genres of music, second only to classical. Two, I can't really find any music debates, and it is kind of an interesting topic to me. Most of this forum is devoted to BLM, sexuality, and other big issues. Well, I would like a break from all of this. I would like to relax and talk about something a bit less serious.

I hope we can all have a fun debate here.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 3:10:41 PM
At 10/4/2016 3:09:48 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, on to the topic at hand. I would like to talk about rock and metal. I would like to discuss two things about these genres of music. First, are rock and metal bad? If so, why are they bad? What makes rock and metal any worse than any other genre of music? Second, are rock and metal damaging, either to society as a whole or development of the individual? If so, what makes it so damaging? Are any other genres of music damaging?

Please keep in mind that many people, including myself, have not taken courses on music or music theory. I want to talk about this for two reasons. One, I am a rock and metal fan. it is one of my favorite genres of music, second only to classical. Two, I can't really find any music debates, and it is kind of an interesting topic to me. Most of this forum is devoted to BLM, sexuality, and other big issues. Well, I would like a break from all of this. I would like to relax and talk about something a bit less serious.

this would fit in the art forum *silently cries* but no one goes there DX

As for metal, why do you think it would be damaging to society? I have a general idea of what metal is, but can you give a better definition so I know we're on the same page?

I love music :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:49:38 PM
I think metal is probably one of the least threatening forms of music. It is not political and has always been about spectacle and entertainment rather then subversion. While a many bands have used 'satanic' images and themes (I suppose that goes back to Black Sabbath at least) only a few people think there is much more to it than a good excuse for some really loud chord progressions in a minor key.

Metal is about flamboyance and excess. It about too much volume, too much black leather, too much spandex, too much hair and too much make-up. It's not about changing the world or expressing political angst. If you want politics, listen to Dylan not Queensryche.

Its no surprise there is a lot of cross-over between classical music fans and metal fans, and even performers. Metal and classical music both demand a level of technical virtuosity and musicianship. Metal songs have lyrics, but they are secondary to the musical structure of the song. In a sense, metal is Mahler minus the boring bits.

To show the affinitity of metal and classical, check out this on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com...
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 7:52:00 PM
At 10/4/2016 6:49:38 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I think metal is probably one of the least threatening forms of music. It is not political and has always been about spectacle and entertainment rather then subversion. While a many bands have used 'satanic' images and themes (I suppose that goes back to Black Sabbath at least) only a few people think there is much more to it than a good excuse for some really loud chord progressions in a minor key.

Metal is about flamboyance and excess. It about too much volume, too much black leather, too much spandex, too much hair and too much make-up. It's not about changing the world or expressing political angst. If you want politics, listen to Dylan not Queensryche.

Its no surprise there is a lot of cross-over between classical music fans and metal fans, and even performers. Metal and classical music both demand a level of technical virtuosity and musicianship. Metal songs have lyrics, but they are secondary to the musical structure of the song. In a sense, metal is Mahler minus the boring bits.

I contest the two underlined and bolded claims.

There are many metal bands that involve politics or the undermining of government. Moreover, you stating what metal is about or what metal is not about is a bit misleading because there are plenty of metal bands that do express politically.

I will agree that metal involves elevated volume and intense vocalizations along with the heavy (intense and loud and/or rapid/slow) instrumental aspects which coincide to produce metal.

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:45:15 PM
There is an awful lot of metal bands! While I can accept that some metal bands purport a political message (or other messages - there are even Christian metal bands!), metal is an art form where politics is all but negligible. There is a hedonistic, anarchic and individualistic ethos but 'sex and drugs and rock and roll' is not a political manifesto.

If we leave rap/hip-hop to one side, punk did have a political element, albeit with a scatter-gun nihilistic program with plenty of complaints but not many answers. Punk merges into some forms of metal (thrash, grunge), but the classic themes of metal are science-fiction and fantasy, not social realism.

Metal doesn't bring crowds out into the streets demanding free boots for all fairies or to unchain Iron Man. It makes teenage boys with zits play air-guitars in front of their bedroom mirror.

Exceptions? Sure. Do some kids take all the satanic flim-flam too seriously? One in a million may be. But Metal.... is it bad? Damaging? Nah. It's just great music.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:28:14 PM
At 10/4/2016 3:10:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Yeah, I guess it could fit there. I only put it in the Society forum because, like you said, nobody goes to the art forum, and I thought it could fit here, as music is a very improtant part of our society.
As for metal, why do you think it would be damaging to society? I have a general idea of what metal is, but can you give a better definition so I know we're on the same page?
I don't think that it is damaging to society or the individual. I was just curious as to what others might think, as there are people out there that would probably disagree with me.

Well, it isn't easy to give a definition of metal music, as many people disagree on what counts as metal. I did find a list of sub-genres of metal, though.

http://www.metalinjection.net...

I hope this helps.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:54:38 PM
At 10/4/2016 8:45:15 PM, keithprosser wrote:
There is an awful lot of metal bands! While I can accept that some metal bands purport a political message (or other messages - there are even Christian metal bands!), metal is an art form where politics is all but negligible. There is a hedonistic, anarchic and individualistic ethos but 'sex and drugs and rock and roll' is not a political manifesto.

If we leave rap/hip-hop to one side, punk did have a political element, albeit with a scatter-gun nihilistic program with plenty of complaints but not many answers. Punk merges into some forms of metal (thrash, grunge), but the classic themes of metal are science-fiction and fantasy, not social realism.

Metal doesn't bring crowds out into the streets demanding free boots for all fairies or to unchain Iron Man. It makes teenage boys with zits play air-guitars in front of their bedroom mirror.

Exceptions? Sure. Do some kids take all the satanic flim-flam too seriously? One in a million may be. But Metal.... is it bad? Damaging? Nah. It's just great music.

I agree with punk being basically an element of rebellous behavior, but this same behavior can be observed in the metal domain, even though at some point the two genres conflcited.

Whilst I also agree that you may not see many people crowding streets or rioting in the name of metal, there is a rebellious and "against the grain" attitude found in many metal bands. There is also an abundance of sub-genres within metal, each containing unique attributes as well.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 11:43:32 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:28:14 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Yeah, I guess it could fit there. I only put it in the Society forum because, like you said, nobody goes to the art forum, and I thought it could fit here, as music is a very improtant part of our society.
I don't think that it is damaging to society or the individual. I was just curious as to what others might think, as there are people out there that would probably disagree with me.

Well, it isn't easy to give a definition of metal music, as many people disagree on what counts as metal. I did find a list of sub-genres of metal, though.

I hope this helps.
The link is, unfortunately, blocked (school computer). Do you have a song you could link to me as an example instead?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:32:51 AM
At 10/4/2016 11:43:32 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I hope this helps.
The link is, unfortunately, blocked (school computer). Do you have a song you could link to me as an example instead?
I wonder why it was blocked. Actually, I am using a school computer as well. Although, mine only blocks links when I am on the school's WiFi. Anyway, there isn't really one song that I could provide that covers metal as a whole.

1. Alternative Metal " Basically late 90s, early 00 radio rock like Korn, Disturbed and Papa Roach
2. Nu Metal " Korn is listed here again, obviously, other acts include Drowning Pool, Mudvayne, Sevendust
3. Hard Rock " This seems to mean classic rock like Van Halen, Whitesnake and Ted Nugent.
4. Groove Metal Modern mainstream metal like Machine Head, Trivium and Devildriver
5. Rap Metal " Not sure how this differs from nu metal, but featured acts include Linkin Park, POD, Limp Bizkit
6. Funk Metal " Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers amongst the listed acts.
7. Metal " aka VH1 classic metal, like Iron Maiden, King Diamond and Motorhead
8. Metalcore " Warped Tour metal like Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine and All That Remains.
9. Speed Metal " Similar to just Metal, features Megadeth, Accept, Slayer
10. Melodic Metalcore " Basically, the new wave of American heavy metal like Killswitch Engage, Darkest Hour, Unearth
11. Industrial Metal " Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Orgy, Powerman 5000, Static X
12. Progressive Metal " Queensryche, Dream Theater, Symphony X
13. Power Metal " Sabaton, Firewind, Edguy
14. Death Metal " Death, Obituary, Deicide, Dying Fetus
15. Thrash Metal " Slayer, Testament, Anthrax, Exodus, Kreator
16. Glam Metal " Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Dokken
17. Melodic Death Metal " basically Swedish metal, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, etc.
18. Neo Classical Metal " Kamelot, Stratovarius, Dragonforce
19. Symphonic Metal " Epica, Within Temptation, Nightwish
20. Death Core " Whitechapel, Suicide Silence, Chelsea Grin, Carnifex
21. Gothic Metal " Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation
22. German Metal " Edguy, Rage, Helloween
23. Gothic Symphonic Metal " Epica, Delain, Leaves' Eyes
24. Stoner Rock " Orange Goblin, Fu Manchu, High on Fire
25. Folk Metal " Eluveitie, Tursias, Finntroll, Moonsorrow

Here is what was on the link.

Just in case you would still like a song:
This is Metallica. They are probably one of the most iconic metal bands. They would probably fall into the thrash and classic metal categories. There are also some well-known, more modern bands, like Slipknot, but Metallica was one of the bands that really influenced metal the most. The song is called Master of Puppets. It shouldn't be blocked.

Although, Metallica usually isn't the band that people are worried about when they think about metal as damaging or bad. Had I chosen anything by Slipknot, for example, it probably would've been blocked, as a lot of their content is explicit.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:14:10 AM
I think those criticisms can be levelled at just about any genre. Metal is, however IMO one of the least subversive and dangerous forms of popular music (except anodyne bubble-gum pop!). I don't think it is bad and damaging - every music fan (even classical music snobs) should have some Black Sabbath and Metallica in their collection!
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:17:59 AM

I agree, but I will say that there are a lot of bands that create songs about issues like corruption in government. System of a Down's BYOB, for example.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:19:54 AM
At 10/4/2016 8:45:15 PM, keithprosser wrote:

I agree, for the most part.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:30:57 PM
At 10/5/2016 12:32:51 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

I hope this helps.
I wonder why it was blocked. Actually, I am using a school computer as well. Although, mine only blocks links when I am on the school's WiFi. Anyway, there isn't really one song that I could provide that covers metal as a whole.

1. Alternative Metal " Basically late 90s, early 00 radio rock like Korn, Disturbed and Papa Roach
2. Nu Metal " Korn is listed here again, obviously, other acts include Drowning Pool, Mudvayne, Sevendust
3. Hard Rock " This seems to mean classic rock like Van Halen, Whitesnake and Ted Nugent.
4. Groove Metal Modern mainstream metal like Machine Head, Trivium and Devildriver
5. Rap Metal " Not sure how this differs from nu metal, but featured acts include Linkin Park, POD, Limp Bizkit
6. Funk Metal " Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers amongst the listed acts.
8. Metalcore " Warped Tour metal like Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine and All That Remains.
10. Melodic Metalcore " Basically, the new wave of American heavy metal like Killswitch Engage, Darkest Hour, Unearth
17. Melodic Death Metal " basically Swedish metal, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, etc.

This is Metallica. They are probably one of the most iconic metal bands. They would probably fall into the thrash and classic metal categories. There are also some well-known, more modern bands, like Slipknot, but Metallica was one of the bands that really influenced metal the most. The song is called Master of Puppets. It shouldn't be blocked.

Although, Metallica usually isn't the band that people are worried about when they think about metal as damaging or bad. Had I chosen anything by Slipknot, for example, it probably would've been blocked, as a lot of their content is explicit.

Sorry, I didn't notice your replied.
I recognize Metallica, and I do like some of their music (of course my preference falls under genres such as electronic or drum and bass). I've never really heard people say that Metal is damaging. Sure, some people don't like it, but I've never heard someone say it was damaging to society. Have you ever heard someone say that?

Rhivan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:51:01 PM
Its no surprise there is a lot of cross-over between classical music fans and metal fans, and even performers. Metal and classical music both demand a level of technical virtuosity and musicianship

I never thought about it like that! It explains my interest in both.

Anyway back to the topic, I don't think Metal is negative or bad, while it has dark themes It doesn't send a negative message (that people will act upon) at least in my opinion.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:43:55 PM
At 10/5/2016 12:30:57 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I hope this helps.

No problem.
I recognize Metallica, and I do like some of their music (of course my preference falls under genres such as electronic or drum and bass). I've never really heard people say that Metal is damaging. Sure, some people don't like it, but I've never heard someone say it was damaging to society. Have you ever heard someone say that?

I have heard more about the damage it supposedly causes to the individual than society. I have heard arguments here and there about metal's effects on society, though.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:23:40 PM
At 10/5/2016 2:43:55 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

I hope this helps.

No problem.

I have heard more about the damage it supposedly causes to the individual than society. I have heard arguments here and there about metal's effects on society, though.

Do you have an example of an individual's argument for how it is damaging?

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 2:35:58 AM
At 10/5/2016 3:23:40 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 10/5/2016 2:43:55 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

I hope this helps.

No problem.

Do you have an example of an individual's argument for how it is damaging?

I can't give examples of specific people, other than my parents, as my group of friends consists of mainly metal fans, and I don't usually talk about music with anyone else. I do have examples of common arguments made against metal, though.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 12:34:39 PM
At 10/6/2016 2:35:58 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

I can't give examples of specific people, other than my parents, as my group of friends consists of mainly metal fans, and I don't usually talk about music with anyone else. I do have examples of common arguments made against metal, though.

Please share those examples

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 9:41:58 PM
At 10/6/2016 12:34:39 PM, Vaarka wrote:

The most common one that I see is that metal encourages bad behavior. It is a bad influence. Some say that it encourages criminal activity like murder, arson, theft, etc. Some also say that it is too violent, and it is not good for your mental health. Another argument that I hear a lot is that it glorifies and encourages vulgar language. Another argument that I have seen is that it discourages religion and promotes Satanic worship.

Then, of course, there are arguments that have more to do with whether it is good music than whether it is good for you. These arguments tend to revolve around the belief that metal is "just noise" or "just screaming."
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 1:35:46 AM
At 10/6/2016 9:41:58 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

The most common one that I see is that metal encourages bad behavior. It is a bad influence. Some say that it encourages criminal activity like murder, arson, theft, etc. Some also say that it is too violent, and it is not good for your mental health. Another argument that I hear a lot is that it glorifies and encourages vulgar language. Another argument that I have seen is that it discourages religion and promotes Satanic worship.
Most of my ideas of metal don't really revolve around these ideas, but most of them sound like what a lot of "mainstream rap" sounds like. As for Satanic worship, it depends on which band I guess. I'm sure there are some bands that are for that kind of idea, but other than that it mostly depends on the producers/composers. I would probably disapprove of some bands, depending on what their songs are about or contain, but wouldn't say "Metal is bad/damaging!"

Then, of course, there are arguments that have more to do with whether it is good music than whether it is good for you. These arguments tend to revolve around the belief that metal is "just noise" or "just screaming."

So preference.

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:26:40 AM
At 10/7/2016 1:35:46 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Most of my ideas of metal don't really revolve around these ideas, but most of them sound like what a lot of "mainstream rap" sounds like. As for Satanic worship, it depends on which band I guess. I'm sure there are some bands that are for that kind of idea, but other than that it mostly depends on the producers/composers. I would probably disapprove of some bands, depending on what their songs are about or contain, but wouldn't say "Metal is bad/damaging!"
Well, I will admit that there is aggression, and there is some violent themes in some metal, but that does not mean that it is in any way endorsed or encouraged. And yes, some bands and songs do have anti-religious or even Satanic themes, but again, that does not mean that these themes are endorsed. Metal does not encourage people to commit crimes or do bad things. Metal is an outlet for aggression, anger, really any negative emotion. So yes, there is a lot of aggression in metal, but it is actually more constructive and helpful than damaging. Though, I will say, small children really shouldn't listen to bands like Slipknot, as they are very impressionable, and they pick up bad habits like swearing very easily. Teens on up to adults, however, have no problem. I'd probably let my kids listen to Metallica and other classic metal, though. They don't swear a lot.

So preference.
Pretty much. There is one thing that I find very interesting, though. Many people say that metal is simple music for simple people, and that metal fans have no musical taste. The funny thing is that the one thing that most metal fans have in common is a love for classical music, probably the most complex form of music out there.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:28:43 AM
At 10/7/2016 2:26:40 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Well, I will admit that there is aggression, and there is some violent themes in some metal, but that does not mean that it is in any way endorsed or encouraged. And yes, some bands and songs do have anti-religious or even Satanic themes, but again, that does not mean that these themes are endorsed. Metal does not encourage people to commit crimes or do bad things. Metal is an outlet for aggression, anger, really any negative emotion. So yes, there is a lot of aggression in metal, but it is actually more constructive and helpful than damaging. Though, I will say, small children really shouldn't listen to bands like Slipknot, as they are very impressionable, and they pick up bad habits like swearing very easily. Teens on up to adults, however, have no problem. I'd probably let my kids listen to Metallica and other classic metal, though. They don't swear a lot.
Exactly

So preference.
Pretty much. There is one thing that I find very interesting, though. Many people say that metal is simple music for simple people, and that metal fans have no musical taste. The funny thing is that the one thing that most metal fans have in common is a love for classical music, probably the most complex form of music out there.

I love when people say that about any genre.
"Dubstep doesn't take skill to make and people who listen to it have no taste for music"
I love arguing for electronic music, specifically drum and bass.

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:37:36 AM
At 10/7/2016 2:28:43 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Exactly

So preference.

"Dubstep doesn't take skill to make and people who listen to it have no taste for music"

That actually reminded me of a joke my friends and I have. I am actually trying to pick up electric bass, and I always see people talking about how the bass doesn't matter. So, of course, my friends and I start yelling, "Bass lives matter!" whenever the subject comes up.

But yeah, I actually really like some dubstep as well. I actually found a sub-genre called metalstep. A cross between metal and dubstep. It usually consists of remixes of metal songs.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:54:50 AM
At 10/7/2016 2:37:36 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Exactly

So preference.

That actually reminded me of a joke my friends and I have. I am actually trying to pick up electric bass, and I always see people talking about how the bass doesn't matter. So, of course, my friends and I start yelling, "Bass lives matter!" whenever the subject comes up.

But yeah, I actually really like some dubstep as well. I actually found a sub-genre called metalstep. A cross between metal and dubstep. It usually consists of remixes of metal songs.

I think you'd like Breakcore. Ever heard of it?

ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:28:35 AM
At 10/7/2016 2:54:50 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Exactly

So preference.

No, I haven't. I'll check it out.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:33:02 AM
At 10/7/2016 3:28:35 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:54:50 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Exactly

So preference.

No, I haven't. I'll check it out.

Check these out:
goreshit - burn this moment into the retina of my eye https://www.youtube.com...

The Ghost of 3.13 - Forgotten

Igorrr - Tout Petit Moineau

sHimaU - EVE Headache cure

Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:28:44 AM
I think metal is probably one of the least threatening forms of music. It is not political and has always been about spectacle and entertainment rather then subversion.

I know other people have pointed that out before, but I just found these to be particularly funny counterexamples.

MAKE AMERICA HATE AGAIN!

http://www.allshallperishmerch.com...
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic