Jump to topic:

Gay men can't donate blood?

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:53:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I heard this recently because there are huge protests against the Red Cross on a bunch of college campuses, but apparently it's an FDA rule, not a Red Cross rule.

Did anyone else know this? wtf, so weird
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:56:47 PM
Of course, because everyone knows that gay people all have aids.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:58:54 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:53:42 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I heard this recently because there are huge protests against the Red Cross on a bunch of college campuses, but apparently it's an FDA rule, not a Red Cross rule.

WTF?! Dude I refuse to give blood if its going to discriminate like that. Like wtf people
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:05:47 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:02:57 PM, annhasle wrote:
I was unaware that sexual orientation affected blood.

Gay women can donate. The "official explanation" is that anal sex vastly increases HIV risk.
http://www.nytimes.com...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:12:52 PM
I'm spreading the word on fb as we speak.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:18:40 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:12:52 PM, lovelife wrote:
I'm spreading the word on fb as we speak.

lol nice. In theory, if enough people stop donating citing protest for the rule, they'll have to change it. Even the medical justification goes away when the policy threatens blood shortages.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:19:56 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:58:54 PM, lovelife wrote:

WTF?! Dude I refuse to give blood if its going to discriminate like that. Like wtf people

That's a great idea. Let innocent people die because the FDA is retarded. I doubt you've ever given blood anyway.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:47:48 PM
Actually, you know, when you think about it, this is actually kind of scary.

What, they can't test the gay man blood for HIV?

I can't be the only one weirded out by this.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:54:14 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:47:48 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Actually, you know, when you think about it, this is actually kind of scary.

What, they can't test the gay man blood for HIV?

I can't be the only one weirded out by this.
It takes one month, sometimes even more, to detect HIV, after it has been transmitted.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:54:34 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:19:56 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

That's a great idea. Let innocent people die because the FDA is retarded. I doubt you've ever given blood anyway.

The FDA doesn't care they let innocent people die to satisfy their homophobic agendas.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:55:58 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:54:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

The FDA doesn't care they let innocent people die to satisfy their homophobic agendas.

Did you read the article that Bluesteel posted?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:57:07 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:05:47 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I was unaware that sexual orientation affected blood.

Gay women can donate. The "official explanation" is that anal sex vastly increases HIV risk.
http://www.nytimes.com...:

While it is true that anal sex increases the risk of transmitting HIV, a straight man and a straight woman run the exact same risk. Secondly, ANYONE can have AIDS for any number of reasons. So why be extra selective when it comes to gay men?

Or here's a novel idea... Check the f*cking blood for HIV before you stock it on the shelves.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:58:41 PM
I was unaware that sexual orientation affected blood.:

Yep, it's in the same category as Cooties. Highly contagious!

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:00:15 PM
Did people not know this? I thought it was obvious when one of the questions they asked is "have you had sex with a person of the same sex since 1984 (or whatever the year is, I don't quite remember it)?"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:01:20 PM
It takes one month, sometimes even more, to detect HIV, after it has been transmitted.:

HIV can lie dormant for years. I don't deny that gay men and intravenous drug users are at the highest risk, however, a straight man and a straight woman can just as easily transmit the disease. So why even be selective?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:02:28 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:01:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
It takes one month, sometimes even more, to detect HIV, after it has been transmitted.:

HIV can lie dormant for years. I don't deny that gay men and intravenous drug users are at the highest risk, however, a straight man and a straight woman can just as easily transmit the disease. So why even be selective?
1. I didn't make a case for them.
2. Perhaps due to the fact that gay men have anal sex 100% of the time they have sex, generally. It doesn't apply to straight couples.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:03:12 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:00:15 PM, OreEle wrote:
Did people not know this? I thought it was obvious when one of the questions they asked is "have you had sex with a person of the same sex since 1984 (or whatever the year is, I don't quite remember it)?":

Yeah, I've known about it, but I don't think we've discussed it here. They don't let people who've gotten a new tattoo within 6 months give blood either.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:03:31 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:01:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Just because you can't be perfect, doesn't mean you should ignore it all together.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:05:59 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:03:12 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Did people not know this? I thought it was obvious when one of the questions they asked is "have you had sex with a person of the same sex since 1984 (or whatever the year is, I don't quite remember it)?":

Yeah, I've known about it, but I don't think we've discussed it here. They don't let people who've gotten a new tattoo within 6 months give blood either.

In certain states. In Oregon you still can, because our Tattoo industry is regulated, but in Washington, if you've gotten one in the last 12 months, you can't because their tattoo industry is unregulated.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:06:03 PM
pretty sure when they instituted that rule there was no effective way to test the blood for HIV, which meant huge risks for the people receiving the blood. and homosexuals were statistically more likely to have the disease. now that testing is widely available however, i'm not sure why it hasn't been repealed...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:12:37 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:55:58 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/15/2011 4:54:34 PM, lovelife wrote:

Did you read the article that Bluesteel posted?

I read two different ones
http://www.google.com...
http://gaylife.about.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:14:33 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:06:03 PM, belle wrote:
pretty sure when they instituted that rule there was no effective way to test the blood for HIV, which meant huge risks for the people receiving the blood. and homosexuals were statistically more likely to have the disease. now that testing is widely available however, i'm not sure why it hasn't been repealed...

The FDA doesn't want to.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:16:39 PM

Just because you can't be perfect, doesn't mean you should ignore it all together.:

Meaning?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:34:13 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:16:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Just because you can't be perfect, doesn't mean you should ignore it all together.:

Meaning?

AIDs is transmitted mostly through gay men and drug use. So by selectively preventing those, it greatly reduces the risk of HIV in the blood donations. granted it does not stop 100%, but it does stop most.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:42:18 PM
Gangs are mostly black men. So by selectively preventing those, [from owning guns] it greatly reduces the risk of gangs in the cities. granted it does not stop 100%, but it does stop most.

j/s
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:42:39 PM
I've checked and there is no such ruling here in the UK - I mentioned this to my sister tonight and she was incredulous and outraged that the US should discriminate against homosexuals in such a blatant manner.

Why should they? There are no gay genes in blood.

Or are there?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:45:11 PM
Did people not know this? I thought it was obvious when one of the questions they asked is "have you had sex with a person of the same sex since 1984 (or whatever the year is, I don't quite remember it)?"

Never given blood . . . I have a massive needle phobia
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:45:21 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:42:18 PM, lovelife wrote:
Gangs are mostly black men. So by selectively preventing those, [from owning guns] it greatly reduces the risk of gangs in the cities. granted it does not stop 100%, but it does stop most.

j/s

Gang members use illegal guns which....oh wait, analogy fail.

j/s
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.