Total Posts:57|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Race and Confirmation Bias

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 12:44:31 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Likewise, maybe a white person is pulled over by the police and has a great experience, (or is *never* pulled over by the police), and they talk about that with their white friends and so they assume that how the police treats them and their friends is how the police generally treat others. So when they see cases they are are likely to assume the police is justified in taking such actions. Confirmation bias likely causes whites to see the problem as not being as serious as it really is.

And we don't need to rely on solely on anecedotal evidence when we have numerous studies that show that there is widespread bias (whether implict,, explicit, or both) in policing.

http://www.vanityfair.com...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 12:57:08 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Another epiphany on race relations. Spoken of as nauseum has desensitized and turn me salty. Cops should shoot the speeder unless... the speeder shoots the cop first.

There, more shootings, all races/groups/movements. Problem solved and ammo manufacturers get a boost.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 5:08:09 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 12:44:31 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Likewise, maybe a white person is pulled over by the police and has a great experience, (or is *never* pulled over by the police), and they talk about that with their white friends and so they assume that how the police treats them and their friends is how the police generally treat others. So when they see cases they are are likely to assume the police is justified in taking such actions. Confirmation bias likely causes whites to see the problem as not being as serious as it really is.

And we don't need to rely on solely on anecedotal evidence when we have numerous studies that show that there is widespread bias (whether implict,, explicit, or both) in policing.

http://www.vanityfair.com...

It's far more likely that when a white gets pulled over and has a bad experience, his white guilt prevents him from sharing the experience with anyone, including the white solidarity.
sdavio
Posts: 1,800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:21:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

While I recognize the possibility that this bias does occur, I think we can acknowledge how, even if the opinion does involve bias, there is a grain of truth in it. If people feel afraid of being discriminated against, then that at the least means that we exist in a system where it is possible for the police discrimination to occur, to some extent at the discretion of the individual officer. The very fact that there is a debate taking place within those parameters indicates that this possibility is a given presumption. Thus, even if in a given instance, people are engaged in unfounded paranoia, we should look to the cause of the distress itself, which is clearly either a lack of checks and balances or a lack of clear communication between authorities and the community. The details of any given case of distress are in some sense irrelevant, since the very fact of the debate to some extent provides its own evidence for a certain open possibility of misuse of power.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:11:53 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 12:44:31 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Likewise, maybe a white person is pulled over by the police and has a great experience, (or is *never* pulled over by the police), and they talk about that with their white friends and so they assume that how the police treats them and their friends is how the police generally treat others. So when they see cases they are are likely to assume the police is justified in taking such actions. Confirmation bias likely causes whites to see the problem as not being as serious as it really is.

And we don't need to rely on solely on anecedotal evidence when we have numerous studies that show that there is widespread bias (whether implict,, explicit, or both) in policing.

http://www.vanityfair.com...

actually it doesn't prove it's widespread, if they are using Ferguson in their calculation they were very corrupt, so unless this "study" can show that these stats are evenly distributed it's not widespread. some of that is almost a copy and paste from the Ferguson investigation.
did this take the officers race into account? didn't see where they did, there's a lot of subjective opinion in there as well.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:17:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 2:11:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:44:31 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Likewise, maybe a white person is pulled over by the police and has a great experience, (or is *never* pulled over by the police), and they talk about that with their white friends and so they assume that how the police treats them and their friends is how the police generally treat others. So when they see cases they are are likely to assume the police is justified in taking such actions. Confirmation bias likely causes whites to see the problem as not being as serious as it really is.

And we don't need to rely on solely on anecedotal evidence when we have numerous studies that show that there is widespread bias (whether implict,, explicit, or both) in policing.

http://www.vanityfair.com...

actually it doesn't prove it's widespread, if they are using Ferguson in their calculation they were very corrupt, so unless this "study" can show that these stats are evenly distributed it's not widespread.

It's hard to believe you engage these issues in good faith. Ferguson was literally just one study out of the 18 that were complied together. It's not just one study, it's over a dozen.

some of that is almost a copy and paste from the Ferguson investigation.

Duh. It's just quoting the Ferguson study for one of it's data points.

did this take the officers race into account?

How is that relevant?

didn't see where they did, there's a lot of subjective opinion in there as well.

They are literally just quoting the studies. It seems like you're in denial.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:52:07 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 3:17:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:11:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:44:31 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Likewise, maybe a white person is pulled over by the police and has a great experience, (or is *never* pulled over by the police), and they talk about that with their white friends and so they assume that how the police treats them and their friends is how the police generally treat others. So when they see cases they are are likely to assume the police is justified in taking such actions. Confirmation bias likely causes whites to see the problem as not being as serious as it really is.

And we don't need to rely on solely on anecedotal evidence when we have numerous studies that show that there is widespread bias (whether implict,, explicit, or both) in policing.

http://www.vanityfair.com...

actually it doesn't prove it's widespread, if they are using Ferguson in their calculation they were very corrupt, so unless this "study" can show that these stats are evenly distributed it's not widespread.

It's hard to believe you engage these issues in good faith. Ferguson was literally just one study out of the 18 that were complied together. It's not just one study, it's over a dozen.

some of that is almost a copy and paste from the Ferguson investigation.

Duh. It's just quoting the Ferguson study for one of it's data points.

did this take the officers race into account?

How is that relevant?

didn't see where they did, there's a lot of subjective opinion in there as well.

They are literally just quoting the studies. It seems like you're in denial.

so that proves widespread? all these things do is exaggerate and try to prove their narrative. again the typical blanket statements, so it happens in Ferguson, Chicago, couple cities in liberal California few other specific places and that means widespread?
from the header "other studies point to broader societal and institutional factors that lead to implicit bias." perhaps crime stats? media?
#11 " flawed data set"

Profile of alleged known assailants
In 2013, 74 alleged offenders were identified in connection with the law enforcement officers assaulted and injured with firearms or knives/other cutting instruments. Of those offenders, the following characteristics are known:
(note this does not include hands etc)
The average age of the alleged offenders was 32 years old.
69 of the alleged offenders were male, and 3 were female. Gender was not reported for 2 offenders.
40 of the alleged offenders were black, 30 were white, and 2 were Asian/Pacific Islander. Race was not reported for 2 offenders.
59 of the alleged offenders had prior criminal arrests.
20 of the alleged offenders were under judicial supervision at the time of the incidents.
18 of the alleged offenders were under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance(s) at the time of the incidents.
https://ucr.fbi.gov...
2014 https://www.fbi.gov...

https://www.1215.org...
"In 2013, of the approximately 660,000 crimes of interracial violence that involved
blacks and whites, blacks were the perpetrators 85 percent of the time"

http://www.encounterbooks.com...
"[F]or 2015, the Post documented 987 victims of fatal police shootings, about twice the number historically recorded by federal agencies. Whites were 50 percent of those victims, and blacks were 26 percent.
That percentage of black victims is not helpful in proving that policing is racist."
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:09:21 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

Hell, I even had a cop that cut me off because he thought I was a runner when I turned off the highway. Got my car searched authoritatively, and again he was very polite and I didn't sense any danger. Its just not a universal attribute to police officers. I don't understand why its not okay to judge someone by their race but perfectly fine to judge them by their profession. I mean either way their are valid reasons for stereotypes, but the flaw in your generalization is the same, albeit a more politically correct topic at this time.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:31:50 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.

So an entire race of people are saying racism is still an issue and us think this is about us feeling better. If we were having this conversation face to face, this is were I would turn around and walk away. That was very insulting.

In past debate I've given you examples of area that can be improved. Neighbor hood infrastructure, school funding but to go one better rehabilitatin programs for drug addicts and poverty stricken families. We also need laws to be changed so the police can be held to a higher standard or different standard. One better suited for today's needs. We need a way to ensure racial discrimination or bias isn't an issue. Maybe using some system of measure. The list goes on. There are BLM members going on and on about this all the time. Once again I've mentioned some of this to you previously Kevin24018. You are using the same argument on different threads.

Modern day racsim. Telling us this is just everyday bias and to just accept it.. Man U have no idea what it is like to be black. How in the world can u say that. Doesn't make any sense to me. We arent complaining about any other bias. Just the one the made our people into slaves. We deserve a life without this bias. This specific bias. If u can't agree we have nothing more to discuss.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 5:49:24 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 4:31:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.

So an entire race of people are saying racism is still an issue and us think this is about us feeling better. If we were having this conversation face to face, this is were I would turn around and walk away. That was very insulting.

In past debate I've given you examples of area that can be improved. Neighbor hood infrastructure, school funding but to go one better rehabilitatin programs for drug addicts and poverty stricken families. We also need laws to be changed so the police can be held to a higher standard or different standard. One better suited for today's needs. We need a way to ensure racial discrimination or bias isn't an issue. Maybe using some system of measure.

those are not solely race issues. police reform every race can get behind, and should, if you say police reform because it only affects blacks you are cutting off your nose, putting others on defense and proving you wrong.,

Modern day racsim. Telling us this is just everyday bias and to just accept it.. Man U have no idea what it is like to be black. How in the world can u say that. Doesn't make any sense to me. We arent complaining about any other bias. Just the one the made our people into slaves. We deserve a life without this bias. This specific bias. If u can't agree we have nothing more to discuss.

I've admitted I don't understand, how do you change bias? I don't like fat girls, I can't change that, I don't women different other than my dating preference, so yeah that just has to be accepted. Bias is only an issue when it causes discrimination or other unfair treatment, true? everyone has a right to their own personal opinion, right? Life without bias is unrealistic, you don't have a bias for black people? so how can you expect others not to? So you condemn all whites for slavery? It was a horrible thing for them and the after effects for sure but I had nothing to do with it so why not hold people personally responsible for their actions?
again no one has answered what do you want? what is going to fix it? here's what I'm getting at it's a bit long, but answer this guys questions
https://youtu.be...
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:54:51 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 4:31:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.

So an entire race of people are saying racism is still an issue and us think this is about us feeling better. If we were having this conversation face to face, this is were I would turn around and walk away. That was very insulting.

In past debate I've given you examples of area that can be improved. Neighbor hood infrastructure, school funding but to go one better rehabilitatin programs for drug addicts and poverty stricken families. We also need laws to be changed so the police can be held to a higher standard or different standard. One better suited for today's needs. We need a way to ensure racial discrimination or bias isn't an issue. Maybe using some system of measure. The list goes on. There are BLM members going on and on about this all the time. Once again I've mentioned some of this to you previously Kevin24018. You are using the same argument on different threads.

Modern day racsim. Telling us this is just everyday bias and to just accept it.. Man U have no idea what it is like to be black. How in the world can u say that. Doesn't make any sense to me. We arent complaining about any other bias. Just the one the made our people into slaves. We deserve a life without this bias. This specific bias. If u can't agree we have nothing more to discuss.

I can answer for him:

He's for legalizing drugs, eliminating 70% of the issue.
He's for reduction in federal bs programs that hamstring schools contingent upon federal standards that are one size fits all.
He is for those same reductions allowing all neighborhoods to more appropriately allocate their tax dollars based on their need.

Just blindly asserting 'you don't understand' does NOTHING to foster a constructive dialogue. It also does nothing to address personal responsibility and thinking outside of current socio-political context. Ex: why the fvck you and many others keep voting for the same flicks who tell you what you want to hear but do ABSOLUTELY nothing about it... local state and federal. And if you just say 'the systems rigged' then basically... I'll leave it at that.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:39:42 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 6:54:51 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:31:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.

So an entire race of people are saying racism is still an issue and us think this is about us feeling better. If we were having this conversation face to face, this is were I would turn around and walk away. That was very insulting.

In past debate I've given you examples of area that can be improved. Neighbor hood infrastructure, school funding but to go one better rehabilitatin programs for drug addicts and poverty stricken families. We also need laws to be changed so the police can be held to a higher standard or different standard. One better suited for today's needs. We need a way to ensure racial discrimination or bias isn't an issue. Maybe using some system of measure. The list goes on. There are BLM members going on and on about this all the time. Once again I've mentioned some of this to you previously Kevin24018. You are using the same argument on different threads.

Modern day racsim. Telling us this is just everyday bias and to just accept it.. Man U have no idea what it is like to be black. How in the world can u say that. Doesn't make any sense to me. We arent complaining about any other bias. Just the one the made our people into slaves. We deserve a life without this bias. This specific bias. If u can't agree we have nothing more to discuss.

I can answer for him:

He's for legalizing drugs, eliminating 70% of the issue.
He's for reduction in federal bs programs that hamstring schools contingent upon federal standards that are one size fits all.
He is for those same reductions allowing all neighborhoods to more appropriately allocate their tax dollars based on their need.

Just blindly asserting 'you don't understand' does NOTHING to foster a constructive dialogue. It also does nothing to address personal responsibility and thinking outside of current socio-political context. Ex: why the fvck you and many others keep voting for the same flicks who tell you what you want to hear but do ABSOLUTELY nothing about it... local state and federal. And if you just say 'the systems rigged' then basically... I'll leave it at that.

so is the system rigged? there looks like there was enough voting power to change things.
Ferguson should really be studied, I for one am going to try to, a town that is mostly black and yet all those things happened for so long and i guess couldn't be changed by the power of voting, petitioning, suing (all of those?) had the shooting not happened it wouldn't have been uncovered any time soon. 2010 census, White6,206
African American14,297
http://www.census.gov...
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:48:39 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

This^^^^^^
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:12:52 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 8:39:42 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 6:54:51 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:31:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 2:21:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:03:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
See this is the mindset I hate about some people on this issue. You acknowledge discrimination exists but them tell us we "see the problem worse than what it is." Basically discrimination exists but the people who can't relate to it the most are telling us to live with it. This country was built on the very concept black people are trying to prove still affects us, but we still have to jump there so many hoops to prove just that much.

ok so lets say you proved it, so what do you want then? what is the solution? doesn't appear anyone can answer these questions. Will acknowledgment make you feel better, you just want to feel better? How about focus on those who are the problem judged by their actions. Some think blacks commit a disproportionately higher percentage of crime, yet we shouldn't apply that to all blacks, yet when someone or specific group discriminates it's applied to all whites, then to make it really stick we use term like unconscious bias, things that can't be changed or helped, like somehow this adds value. We have biases about all sorts of things and most of the time we don't use it to hurt anyone and keep it to ourselves.

So an entire race of people are saying racism is still an issue and us think this is about us feeling better. If we were having this conversation face to face, this is were I would turn around and walk away. That was very insulting.

In past debate I've given you examples of area that can be improved. Neighbor hood infrastructure, school funding but to go one better rehabilitatin programs for drug addicts and poverty stricken families. We also need laws to be changed so the police can be held to a higher standard or different standard. One better suited for today's needs. We need a way to ensure racial discrimination or bias isn't an issue. Maybe using some system of measure. The list goes on. There are BLM members going on and on about this all the time. Once again I've mentioned some of this to you previously Kevin24018. You are using the same argument on different threads.

Modern day racsim. Telling us this is just everyday bias and to just accept it.. Man U have no idea what it is like to be black. How in the world can u say that. Doesn't make any sense to me. We arent complaining about any other bias. Just the one the made our people into slaves. We deserve a life without this bias. This specific bias. If u can't agree we have nothing more to discuss.

I can answer for him:

He's for legalizing drugs, eliminating 70% of the issue.
He's for reduction in federal bs programs that hamstring schools contingent upon federal standards that are one size fits all.
He is for those same reductions allowing all neighborhoods to more appropriately allocate their tax dollars based on their need.

Just blindly asserting 'you don't understand' does NOTHING to foster a constructive dialogue. It also does nothing to address personal responsibility and thinking outside of current socio-political context. Ex: why the fvck you and many others keep voting for the same flicks who tell you what you want to hear but do ABSOLUTELY nothing about it... local state and federal. And if you just say 'the systems rigged' then basically... I'll leave it at that.

so is the system rigged? there looks like there was enough voting power to change things.
Ferguson should really be studied, I for one am going to try to, a town that is mostly black and yet all those things happened for so long and i guess couldn't be changed by the power of voting, petitioning, suing (all of those?) had the shooting not happened it wouldn't have been uncovered any time soon. 2010 census, White6,206
African American14,297
http://www.census.gov...

At local levels then it's buying into the machine. Might want to look up how long those elected in ferguson were/have been in power.

Again, in my locale, there have been protests, lawsuits, etc... and changes in long entrenched politicians resulting in a huge downtown revival in poor white and black areas. If it weren't for the darn heroin issue the city would be a very good example of renaissance.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:25:15 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.

My point is I don't know any black person who murders someone given a chance to get a burger
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:44:03 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 9:25:15 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.

My point is I don't know any black person who murders someone given a chance to get a burger

Its not uncommon during transport. My friend decided to call in when an undercover cop (we didn't know that) suspiciously slid a fast food meal into their tinted vehicle...Don't care to hear the skin tone, but it was the same thing. Bad guys gotta eat to, and honestly I have no problem with him being fed prior to conviction. I don't feel this great need to seek vengeance that some people do and I don't see a need to read into a story we have no real context of. Who's to say why those cops decided to give him a burger? Maybe their just nice guys...Maybe their kkk. It doesn't help to whine about it. Once their locked up, that's good enough for me. Sorry, you can't find any news stories about black killers eating a burger. That would be HUGE. Okay, that came across with a little to much attitude, but you get the point?

Who cares? You have an issue, then solve it. Feeding that guy a burger was not an issue.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:45:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
196 countries and only 1 posts, race related posts.
You all have 5 guesses each.
Your time starts , NOW.
The 1st correct answer 5 answers progress to Rnd#2.

Round #2 . Will be about the racism shown by , Band-aid companies.
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:46:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 9:25:15 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.

My point is I don't know any black person who murders someone given a chance to get a burger

I am white and have been arrested and was not offered a burger.
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:57:59 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 9:44:03 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:25:15 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.

My point is I don't know any black person who murders someone given a chance to get a burger

Its not uncommon during transport. My friend decided to call in when an undercover cop (we didn't know that) suspiciously slid a fast food meal into their tinted vehicle...Don't care to hear the skin tone, but it was the same thing. Bad guys gotta eat to, and honestly I have no problem with him being fed prior to conviction. I don't feel this great need to seek vengeance that some people do and I don't see a need to read into a story we have no real context of. Who's to say why those cops decided to give him a burger? Maybe their just nice guys...Maybe their kkk. It doesn't help to whine about it. Once their locked up, that's good enough for me. Sorry, you can't find any news stories about black killers eating a burger. That would be HUGE. Okay, that came across with a little to much attitude, but you get the point?

Who cares? You have an issue, then solve it. Feeding that guy a burger was not an issue.

Apparently not...To you.....Which is the cylindrical problem of society's thinking.
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 9:58:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 9:46:35 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:25:15 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 9:22:31 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:52:06 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 10/7/2016 3:59:11 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/7/2016 12:34:59 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Whenever a person holds a view, they tend to overlook (or intentionally ignore) evidence that contradicts their view, and they tend to jump on any scrap of evidence supporting their view, no matter how small or ridiculous.

The view held by the typical Black-American is that the average police officer is prejudiced against blacks.
So, imagine that a white person gets pulled over by a white police officer for going 20 over. He may assume that the cop is an @$$hole, but race will probably be the last thing on his mind at that moment. He'll just assume that the cop was acting like cops normally act.
Now imagine that a black person is pulled over by that same officer, also for going 20 over. In this instance the officer treats him the same as he did the white guy. However, the black guy has been taught to believe that the cops are out to get black men. Therefore, he may falsely assume that he was pulled over *because* of his race, that he would've gotten away with said instance of speeding were he white. Cops are generally rough people, but because he believes that cops are prejudiced against blacks, he'll likely assume that the cop was being meaner to and harsher on him because of his skin colour.
Later, when talking to fellow black men, he'll recount his experience to them, which'll reinforce their belief that cops hate black people and in turn distort their perceptions of any future encounters with the police. And they'll look back on times when they've been pulled over, and they'll reinterpret their past experiences, with themselves being the purported victims of racist cops. When talking to whites on internet debate websites (like this one), they'll passionately bring up their past experiences with the police as anecdotal evidence of police discrimination against blacks, and they'll believe every word of what they're saying.

I am not saying that police discrimination against blacks never happens. Do not misunderstand me. What I am saying is that confirmation bias likely causes blacks to see the problem as being worse than it really is.

Almost every officer I've met was genuinely polite to me. I got in trouble for trespassing on airport property once....They were pretty serious but I was still treated with unusual respect, cooperated fully, and they just did whatever their job entailed they needed to do.....Hmmm, maybe the cops being rough thing isn't wide spread either.....

This doesn't surprise me...When Dylan Roof off'd 9 black church members who welcomed him in "a house of God," cops took him to burger king before going to jail so yes I believe you when cops are nicer to "some people," more than others.

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with that statement?

They also gave Korryn Gaines every chance, multiple times. You can sling black people were killed by white people were killed by black people all the live long day from stories across the nation. You are still ignoring the extreme variation in culture within the United States of America, and you still aren't accomplishing anything when you point out that a white person was treated good, and a different black person wasn't. Okay so we've proven that there is an issue somewhere for someone arising from something....But what is it, where is it, and how do we address it?

At the end of the day, Police departments are run by policy on the State and County level, and uncoincidentally, the variation in both police and crime statistics across the nation is huge. This is state stuff at the most generalized level you could possibly rationalize it, so act like it is. If you've got a problem in a certain area, with certain policies, with certain departments, with certain officers that's where the effort needs to be placed. Don't just say cops are rough, and don't just say they are rough on some people. That's akin to the racial profiling we criticize them for except its even worse because we are using inapplicable, national statistics.

My point is I don't know any black person who murders someone given a chance to get a burger

I am white and have been arrested and was not offered a burger.

Maybe you should ask next time
Hiu
Posts: 1,015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 10:04:07 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
To those of you responding to my burger comment, apparently you fail to see my point so let me break it down. Given the societal perception of racial biases that we've been dealing with these past couple of years, considering Dylan Roof's past and his internal issues with racism murdered 9 people. It was racially motivated. In a house of worship. Now I'm not religious but if I wanted to disrespect God himself it would be the unholy trinity:

1) Murdering innocent people in a house of worship

2) Molesting a child/baby in a house of worship (or outside)

3) Destroy a house of worship

Nobody who kills innocent people in cold blood in a church deserves a f*cking burger I don't care if the bastard was hungry.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:38:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 10:04:07 PM, Hiu wrote:
To those of you responding to my burger comment, apparently you fail to see my point so let me break it down. Given the societal perception of racial biases that we've been dealing with these past couple of years, considering Dylan Roof's past and his internal issues with racism murdered 9 people. It was racially motivated. In a house of worship. Now I'm not religious but if I wanted to disrespect God himself it would be the unholy trinity:

1) Murdering innocent people in a house of worship

2) Molesting a child/baby in a house of worship (or outside)

3) Destroy a house of worship

Nobody who kills innocent people in cold blood in a church deserves a f*cking burger I don't care if the bastard was hungry.

Actually anyone responding negatively to your burger comment has racial AND other issues. There is nothing at all inflammatory about the observation you made and an internal investigation as to why they stopped at a Burger King should have been conducted.

The ex-wife and I visited the church on a trip to Charleston in April. Nice place.