Jump to topic:

Spongers

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 3:47:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The ban on smoking in bars and restaurants means that customers now have to stand outside on the street to have a cigarette. During this time, they are often accosted by spongers asking for spare change.

I mean, what's that all about? "Spare change"? What do these people expect you to say? "Yes, here you are pal, this money is spare. You may as well have it – after all, I was only going to throw it away."

If they were to offer something in exchange for the cash, some goods or services, then perhaps I might consider parting with my money, but no, they expect you to donate it out of the goodness of your heart.

And it's not even as though the cash gets spent on essentials – it normally ends up being spent on cigarettes and alcohol.

If I was short of the price of a pint or a box of smokes, I wouldn't pester strangers for the money – I don't suppose many people would.

These spongers really are shameless parasites and something should be done about them, but what?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 9:25:39 AM
Electric fences around all bars/pubs. If someone wants to get in, they must show that they have money or that they're with someone who has money.

The streets may not be as attractive as they once were if this strategy was put into place, but it would let the smokers puff in peace.
When Reach fell, I came.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 9:36:21 AM
Don't give them money... usually solves the problem pretty quick.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2009 9:42:12 AM
I usually say no and look away. It's wors ein school where everyone says "You have 60 cent for bus far" or "Can I have a euro I forgot my lunch". Useless spongers, I only lend to a trusted friend.

I feel the only use for these beggers, professional or real, would be to herd them up and make them find useful materials in a landfill site.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2009 4:35:28 AM
I hate the ones that follow you. Or the ones that touch you. Once an average female touched my shoulder. "I'm not paying for just that" I thought.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2009 4:13:42 PM
The worst ones are the ones, that when you actually do give them money, they look at you in discust becuase you hadnt given them enough, I once gave this woman a quid, and when she asked for more I polietely said I had no more change, she then told me to go the nearest shop to change my notes, and when I told her that I would absolutely not do this, she swore at me and walked of! how ungrateful is that!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 12:03:09 AM
At 3/29/2009 4:13:42 PM, Nik wrote:
The worst ones are the ones, that when you actually do give them money, they look at you in discust becuase you hadnt given them enough, I once gave this woman a quid, and when she asked for more I polietely said I had no more change, she then told me to go the nearest shop to change my notes, and when I told her that I would absolutely not do this, she swore at me and walked of! how ungrateful is that!

A whole quid! You're a saint!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 10:45:48 AM
At 3/30/2009 3:50:40 AM, s0m31john wrote:
Cute. You all talk like you're money is real and not essentially monopoly money.

USA USA USA

Hey, 20 euro's is like 100,000 dollars. And it's the exact same in USA as it is in Europe, only we are better (economically standing).

What's the whole deal with the gold standard?:

1) It basically serves as a dual currency.
2) The price of gold is about as stable as a game of buckaroo.

Do what Africa do, diamonds, or, Discs (Lightweight, protable, AND has real world value)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 12:54:52 PM
At 3/30/2009 10:54:32 AM, s0m31john wrote:
http://mises.org...

There is a such thing as fake gold. And it's much easier to counterfeit.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 12:58:18 PM
We have a no form of sponger, the Debate Sponger. This person basically posts whatever resolution they have in a tournament (Characterised by "This house would" or "ought to") and have it in PRO and CON. However, they provide a feeble debate n order to gain a quick argument.

I do not mind the people who properly practise this (In LD, for example), but this is an example of a Debate Sponger : http://www.debate.org...
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 1:37:46 PM

The more gold that's currency, the less gold can actually be in use for other things.
This is why currency that has intrinsic value is retarded - if it has intrinsic value, then we should be using it for what it's useful for rather than making it uselessly idle as currency.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 3:05:18 PM
At 3/30/2009 12:54:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

There is a such thing as fake gold. And it's much easier to counterfeit.

You don't have to deal in gold. Paper currency would still be acceptable, just so it is backed my a limited commodity.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2009 3:22:01 PM
At 3/30/2009 1:37:46 PM, beem0r wrote:

The more gold that's currency, the less gold can actually be in use for other things.
This is why currency that has intrinsic value is retarded - if it has intrinsic value, then we should be using it for what it's useful for rather than making it uselessly idle as currency.

You mean making it more useful by stabilizing the economy is useless?

People use commodities as currency in the absence of government interference precisely BECAUSE their utility as currency is superior to their utility as their natural state-- when it stops being such, they put the item to work, at great profit since now the item is at it's most useful.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2015 7:24:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/24/2009 3:47:03 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The ban on smoking in bars and restaurants means that customers now have to stand outside on the street to have a cigarette. During this time, they are often accosted by spongers asking for spare change.

I mean, what's that all about? "Spare change"? What do these people expect you to say? "Yes, here you are pal, this money is spare. You may as well have it " after all, I was only going to throw it away."

If they were to offer something in exchange for the cash, some goods or services, then perhaps I might consider parting with my money, but no, they expect you to donate it out of the goodness of your heart.

And it's not even as though the cash gets spent on essentials " it normally ends up being spent on cigarettes and alcohol.

If I was short of the price of a pint or a box of smokes, I wouldn't pester strangers for the money " I don't suppose many people would.

These spongers really are shameless parasites and something should be done about them, but what?

When Democrats come up to me asking if I have spare change, I say yes and stare at them. Then the Democrat will say something like "can I have some", and I'll correct them and say "may I have some", then when they say "may I have some", I tell that liberal, no he can go fvck himself, and get a job like a real man.