Jump to topic:

The Mental Health Stigma and Romanticism

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:12:19 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
A while back, I made a thread regarding the media's perception on mental health and why it's so problematic. [1] Recently, I've wanted to expand that basic idea to an even bigger issue: the stigma of mental illness and why it's so damaging. In this, I'll discuss this issue, along with the romanticism of mental health.

First, we must answer this question: what is the mental health stigma? According to the Government of Western Australia Mental Health Commission, stigma is "a mark of disgrace that sets a person apart." [2] When related to mental health, this can cover prejudice, discrimination, stereotyping, victim blaming, shaming, and lack of support associated solely on one's mental illness or health. For example, say that you have autism and because of this, your family treated you like you were responsible for it or that you were inferior to them. That would be stigma.

While this may be a silly question to ask, it must be addressed: why is this stigma damaging? For this, I must refer to Psychology Today to explain.

"This stigma doesn"t just worsen outcomes on a personal level, but also complicates the care and resources available to people with mental illness. In its 'Attitudes Towards Mental Illness' report, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) noted that stigma can result in a lower prioritization of public resources and poorer quality of care. One research review of 22 studies that focused on barriers to care and mental illness determined that stigma and embarrassment were the top reasons why people with mental illness did not engage in medication adherence. The effects of stigma work both ways " mental health conditions are not typically screened in most health care settings, losing an important opportunity for care." [3]

To summarize, the stigma can result in those who suffer to not receive help that they need to improve their lives and makes them internalize the hate, which can worsen their condition. For example, if you had bipolar disorder and someone caused you stress through threats or other forms of shame, it could trigger a severe mood episode.

However, the stigma doesn't only hurt those who do have mental illness, but also the general public. Why is this? Well, it makes it harder to avoid the common myths and stereotypes regarding mental health, giving them a skewed perception and resulting in even more hate.

For example, in the media, you typically only hear about the extremes or exaggerations of mental illness. For this instance, I'll relate it to postpartum depression. Though it's different for everyone, in a typical case of postpartum depression, the mother in question can have mood swings, excessive crying, feelings of worthlessness, fears that you're inadequate as a mother, intense anger, and impulsivity, among others. [4] However, entertainment and media will skew this to mean that every woman that suffers from postpartum depression wants to seriously harm or commit infanticide. Obviously this isn't true, because if it was, surely there'd be an infanticide epidemic, as there are over three million cases in the United States every year.

This perpetuated stereotype is harmful for a number of reasons. For instance, say you're a new mother and you begin to suffer from postpartum depression. To you, if you saw anything like the examples mentioned earlier, you possibly wouldn't think there was a problem, and neither would anyone around you, because they always thought it was like that, not like anything you're going through.

Now that I've covered that subject, I want to narrow it down to another issue, that being romanticism.

What does it mean to romanticize something? The simple definition of it is "to think about or describe something as being better or more attractive or interesting than it really is" [5], but it can really encompass a variety of meanings, like making it seem glamorous, trendy, or quirky. An example of this would be to pretend you have a mental illness for attention, sympathy, or because it seems hip.

You might be wondering what the problem with this is. While there are plenty, there are two I want to focus on: perception and people with actual mental illness.

Perception

To start this, I'd like to provide a quote from fellow DDO member SolonKR in the thread "Feminism is Autism" to illustrate my point.

"Consider OCD, for instance. Everyone has obsessions, and some have associated compulsions as well. I had a teacher who told us about how she always goes around the house three times when she leaves on vacation to make sure it's locked. But that's obviously not OCD; OCD has to have a significant debilitating effect, and interfere with daily life to an unusual extent to be diagnose-able." [6]

To relate this, we'll still use OCD as an example. You're a neat person; that is often seen as a quirk that quite a few people have. However, do you have OCD? That would depend on what would be defined as "neat". If one had an absolute obsession with neatness and would act on various unhealthy compulsions to keep themselves, their home, or others clean, then they could possibly have OCD, considering it prohibited them from living a "normal" life. While this is only a fraction of OCD cases, It rings true to the next point.

Now let's lead this back to the whole main idea of romanticism while still using OCD. You conclude that you must have OCD because you're neat. That conclusion is simply ridiculous, because very few people who would be described as clean would be categorized as having OCD. That is a case of glorifying an aspect of yourself to fit into the "mold" of a "trendy" mental illness.

People who have mental illness

As you would imagine, this romanticism can hurt those with mental illness. Why is that? Because they know from personal experience that it isn't glamorous. They know that it isn't something to flaunt like an accessory. Most of all, they know that it isn't a defining feature of who they are as a person.

A mental illness isn't just a badge that you stick on yourself. It may be a big part of your life, but it most certainly isn't who you are entirely. Other people who don't suffer from it pretending that it is like that are doing nothing but making themselves look like less credible, less intelligent people.

To conclude this, how can we stop the stigma associated with mental health? While there may not be a defining path, here some steps that can be taken.

1. Get educated on mental illness before making broad generalizations or wild myths.
2. Show empathy for those who do have to live with issues related to their mental health like you would to those who suffer from physical problems.
3. Openly discuss mental health health. It should be just as normal as talking about your physical health.
4. Remember that all men are created equal, even those with these issues.
5. Be inclusive. There's no reason to shun those for something they didn't choose to have.

It may be cliche, but you can make a difference. I hope you realize that. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I'm not a professional. If you have problems related to your mental health, I highly recommend seeing a doctor. I just wanted to provide insight on this serious issue from the perspective of someone who suffers from mental illness and has faced various degrees of this stigma. Thank you.

Citations
[1]http://tinyurl.com...
[2]http://tinyurl.com...
[3]http://tinyurl.com...
[4]http://tinyurl.com...
[5]http://tinyurl.com...
[6]http://tinyurl.com...
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:38:22 AM
tl;dr: There's a definite, undeniable stigma associated with mental illness in society that can be related to glorification and exaggeration.

I'm sorry that it's so long (I was pushing on 10,000 characters), but this is a topic I'm very passionate about. Hell, I could've gone on even longer, but the limit of characters did, unfortunately, restrict that. Oh well! If you do manage to get through the OP, I hope I can see your thoughts regarding the issues discussed in this thread.

I hope you have a fabulous day!
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:54:53 PM
Not being a professional, you should take your own advice on generalization.

Mental health is a broad encompassing category that is chemical, physiological, and psychological in nature. A recommendation: if you want to address your stigma, specifically outline your Dx and those obstacles you face.

Stigma comes from ignorance. It is that simple. I won't address the romanticized aspect as it's unrelated to correct diagnose, treatment, and education.

Good luck on your journey.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 1:34:22 PM
At 10/13/2016 12:54:53 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Mental health is a broad encompassing category that is chemical, physiological, and psychological in nature. A recommendation: if you want to address your stigma, specifically outline your Dx and those obstacles you face.

Stigma comes from ignorance. It is that simple. I won't address the romanticized aspect as it's unrelated to correct diagnose, treatment, and education.

like most things to know where you are you must first know where you have been, much like we talked before the government cuts in the mental hospitals took people out of them, put them on the streets and prisons, we can care all we want but unless the lawyers do, it doesn't do a whole lot of good, everyone should know at this point how horrible mental health care is, but hey at least we spent billions just getting a website to work, got people's hours cut, loose their docs and have $6800 deductibles. so yay for that, and still no band-aids for the mental health gushing wounds.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 1:47:59 PM
At 10/13/2016 1:34:22 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

like most things to know where you are you must first know where you have been, much like we talked before the government cuts in the mental hospitals took people out of them, put them on the streets and prisons, we can care all we want but unless the lawyers do, it doesn't do a whole lot of good, everyone should know at this point how horrible mental health care is, but hey at least we spent billions just getting a website to work, got people's hours cut, loose their docs and have $6800 deductibles. so yay for that, and still no band-aids for the mental health gushing wounds.

I'm just glad addiction is now being recognized as a mental illness. There reason is a huge swath of people are what is known as co-dx'd: mental health and addiction. Some say it's a chicken-egg issue in which comes first. Yes JUST addiction will lead to depression, maybe paranoia, etc... conversely, a schizophrenic/clinical depression/bipolar/multiple personality often turns to drugs and alcohol to self medicate. Ultimately though, it leads to the largest mental health care being performed in our penal system.

Throw in the stigma of 'it's just an addict or drunk'... of course people won't seek help. A bipolar in the manic state often grasp the pain pills/heroin/alcohol just to sleep.

It really is a viscous, viscous cycle that knows no race/creed/color.

I've heard, here and IRL people make the paranoid/schizophrenic comments. Since mental illness can't be seen like a child with leukemia, it isn't really that bad. Yet look at all the detriments to society.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 2:04:19 PM
At 10/13/2016 1:47:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

I'm just glad addiction is now being recognized as a mental illness. There reason is a huge swath of people are what is known as co-dx'd: mental health and addiction. Some say it's a chicken-egg issue in which comes first. Yes JUST addiction will lead to depression, maybe paranoia, etc... conversely, a schizophrenic/clinical depression/bipolar/multiple personality often turns to drugs and alcohol to self medicate. Ultimately though, it leads to the largest mental health care being performed in our penal system.

Throw in the stigma of 'it's just an addict or drunk'... of course people won't seek help. A bipolar in the manic state often grasp the pain pills/heroin/alcohol just to sleep.

I've heard, here and IRL people make the paranoid/schizophrenic comments. Since mental illness can't be seen like a child with leukemia, it isn't really that bad. Yet look at all the detriments to society.

sure it's good that things are being recognized etc, but not if they aren't going to fix the barriers for help, typical yeah we know it's a problem but there's nothing we can (are) going to do about it. I've used services before, not only did I have to take time off of work but my co-pay and out of pocket was a LOT more than just going to see a regular doctor, then there's limits as to how often you can go and total number of times you can go etc. Would it cost the insurance industry that much if there was no out of pocket vs e.r. visits, in patient stays etc etc? I doubt it, but no one gives a sh!t.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 2:16:21 PM
At 10/13/2016 2:04:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/13/2016 1:47:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

sure it's good that things are being recognized etc, but not if they aren't going to fix the barriers for help, typical yeah we know it's a problem but there's nothing we can (are) going to do about it. I've used services before, not only did I have to take time off of work but my co-pay and out of pocket was a LOT more than just going to see a regular doctor, then there's limits as to how often you can go and total number of times you can go etc. Would it cost the insurance industry that much if there was no out of pocket vs e.r. visits, in patient stays etc etc? I doubt it, but no one gives a sh!t.

Got to remember: the majority of the population we are speaking about are on Medicaid, if not ssi (and often co-insured between Medicare ssi and Medicaid). Unless pushed to an MA or mco plan, which is administered by private, member responsibility is set by fed and/or state reg (and mental health is often 00.)

To keep a network, providers then have the insurers over a barrel: contractually they make up the shortfall of public insurance in the private sector.

Private/employer = net profit
Medicare = neutral/break even
Medicaid = reimbursement set below cost of care

Also keep in mind employers set your deductible. How is that? During renewal or proposal, the payer lays out play a-z. Those buying it on the employer side has all those choices. Most pick solely based off the lowest pmpm (per member per month) vs actually looking at out of pocket, benefit limitations, etc...
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:31:22 AM
Bump
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:57:58 AM
At 10/14/2016 1:31:22 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
I wanted to respond to this, but then I didn't know what to say. I agree with what you wrote, especially the romanticism aspect.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 2:13:02 AM
At 10/14/2016 1:57:58 AM, Godgirl wrote:
I wanted to respond to this, but then I didn't know what to say. I agree with what you wrote, especially the romanticism aspect.
I'm glad to hear that. I believe that it's a very important issue that needed to be addressed. I wish that I could've gone even more in depth about it, but oh well.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 2:22:39 AM
At 10/14/2016 2:13:02 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I believe that it's a very important issue that needed to be addressed.
I wish that I could've gone even more in depth about it, but oh well.
You still could write more, if you want to. I'd totally be interested in reading it.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 2:25:25 AM
At 10/14/2016 2:22:39 AM, Godgirl wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I believe that it's a very important issue that needed to be addressed.
I wish that I could've gone even more in depth about it, but oh well.
You still could write more, if you want to. I'd totally be interested in reading it.
I'll certainly consider it.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:04:34 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:01:17 AM, Wylted wrote:
Can't literally everyone be diagnosed with a mental illness?

especially women. At least the ones I end up in relationships seem to be bipolar and have fits of rage, where they insist on physically lashing out on me.

I think I'll turn into a fruitcake. Most men seem to be able to keep my cool, and leave me the fvck alone when I want alone time.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:12:53 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:04:34 AM, Wylted wrote:

especially women. At least the ones I end up in relationships seem to be bipolar and have fits of rage, where they insist on physically lashing out on me.

I think I'll turn into a fruitcake. Most men seem to be able to keep my cool, and leave me the fvck alone when I want alone time.

If that's what you are attracted too. And no, not everyone can be dx'd with a mental illness, however, there is a world of difference between a sick brain and general laziness/apathy/irresponsibility that can pass for depression, etc... it's called gaming the system.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:18:02 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:12:53 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

If that's what you are attracted too. And no, not everyone can be dx'd with a mental illness, however, there is a world of difference between a sick brain and general laziness/apathy/irresponsibility that can pass for depression, etc... it's called gaming the system.

No..... everyone can be diagnosed. I read a book by an author who conducted a small study, he took 6 relatively normal people to hundreds of psychologists, and they were instructed just to be honest with the psychologists, each one was diagnosed with dozens of different mental illnesses with these various psychologists spanning the United States.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:40:03 AM
What makes you come to this conclusion?
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:43:00 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:40:03 AM, missbailey8 wrote:

read my 2nd post
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:43:27 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:40:03 AM, missbailey8 wrote:

correction, 3rd post
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 5:08:49 AM

In my opinion, as someone who has bipolar disorder, this is one of the most damaging stereotypes regarding the condition imaginable.

Bipolar is so much more than "fits of rage". Bipolar is typically defined by periods of two phases that can last for days or even weeks: mania (or hypnomania, if you have Bipolar II) and depression. However, there are also episodes known as "mixed episodes", which show signs of both manic and depressive phases and normal mood episode that usually come briefly in between manic and depressive episodes.

I'll mostly be talking about mania in response to this post, as that's what it seems to refer to. In manic phases, symptoms usually include irritability, recklessness, intense anger, inflated self-esteem, lower need of sleep, racing thoughts, among others. To be diagnosed with any mental illness, it must prove to moderately or severely interfere with your life.

This results in one of the most common stereotypes, and in my opinion, the most aggravating. "All moody people have bipolar!" or my personal favorite, "You don't have bipolar; you're just hormonal."

Anyway, to address my issue with this post, fits of rage alone aren't signifiers of bipolar.

~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 5:11:20 AM
At 10/14/2016 4:18:02 AM, Wylted wrote:

No..... everyone can be diagnosed. I read a book by an author who conducted a small study, he took 6 relatively normal people to hundreds of psychologists, and they were instructed just to be honest with the psychologists, each one was diagnosed with dozens of different mental illnesses with these various psychologists spanning the United States.
Wow, a study with six people where all of them were diagnosed with mental illness? That means that EVERYONE has a mental illness!
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 5:13:45 AM
At 10/14/2016 5:08:49 AM, missbailey8 wrote:

In my opinion, as someone who has bipolar disorder, this is one of the most damaging stereotypes regarding the condition imaginable.

Bipolar is so much more than "fits of rage". Bipolar is typically defined by periods of two phases that can last for days or even weeks: mania (or hypnomania, if you have Bipolar II) and depression. However, there are also episodes known as "mixed episodes", which show signs of both manic and depressive phases and normal mood episode that usually come briefly in between manic and depressive episodes.

I'll mostly be talking about mania in response to this post, as that's what it seems to refer to. In manic phases, symptoms usually include irritability, recklessness, intense anger, inflated self-esteem, lower need of sleep, racing thoughts, among others. To be diagnosed with any mental illness, it must prove to moderately or severely interfere with your life.

This results in one of the most common stereotypes, and in my opinion, the most aggravating. "All moody people have bipolar!" or my personal favorite, "You don't have bipolar; you're just hormonal."

Anyway, to address my issue with this post, fits of rage alone aren't signifiers of bipolar.

Just about everything you said applies to all my exes. I assume it is just something all women have. She'll go weeks where I have to watch her closely to make sure she isn't killing herself, and watch myself closely so I make sure I am not getting a knife to my throat. Then she gets in these fits of happyness. huge highs and lows. Seriously just about eery serious relationship I have been in is like this. You all have it

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 5:14:44 AM
At 10/14/2016 5:11:20 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 10/14/2016 4:18:02 AM, Wylted wrote:

Wow, a study with six people where all of them were diagnosed with mental illness? That means that EVERYONE has a mental illness!

The point is that it is over diagnosed, or that psychiatry tries to stigmatize a ton of normal behavior.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 5:27:31 AM
At 10/14/2016 5:13:45 AM, Wylted wrote:

Just about everything you said applies to all my exes. I assume it is just something all women have. She'll go weeks where I have to watch her closely to make sure she isn't killing herself, and watch myself closely so I make sure I am not getting a knife to my throat. Then she gets in these fits of happyness. huge highs and lows. Seriously just about eery serious relationship I have been in is like this. You all have it
And you're wrong again; not all women have bipolar disorder. Only around 2% - 4% of the U.S population suffers from bipolar. If all women had it, you'd think that would be a much higher percentage.

~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 12:18:47 PM
I'm glad to hear that. I believe that it's a very important issue that needed to be addressed. I wish that I could've gone even more in depth about it, but oh well.

Still can
Meh!
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:01:18 PM
At 10/14/2016 5:13:45 AM, Wylted wrote:

Actually you sound codependent which isn't a mental illness but a relationship issue.

Therein lies a huge difference. Mental illness is physiological in nature most often with chemical imbalance, TBI, and genetic abnormalities (DRD4 allele 7 as an example).
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:14:02 PM
And you're wrong again; not all women have bipolar disorder. Only around 2% - 4% of the U.S population suffers from bipolar. If all women had it, you'd think that would be a much higher percentage.

Maybe I have just gotten to know more women personally then you. The symptoms you described are shared by all of them, and at least half of them were officially diagnosed and were medicated for it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:17:08 PM
Actually you sound codependent which isn't a mental illness but a relationship issue.

Therein lies a huge difference. Mental illness is physiological in nature most often with chemical imbalance, TBI, and genetic abnormalities (DRD4 allele 7 as an example).

No, she most of these girls were not drug addicts. I think codependant is a drug addiction term. Besides that I am not dependant on shitt. I could dump any of these women in a heart beat. I just struggle to sometimes because I don't like hurting their feelings
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:23:23 PM
At 10/14/2016 1:17:08 PM, Wylted wrote:

No, she most of these girls were not drug addicts. I think codependant is a drug addiction term. Besides that I am not dependant on shitt. I could dump any of these women in a heart beat. I just struggle to sometimes because I don't like hurting their feelings

Codependent isn't just addiction based. Putting another's well being/feelings ahead of your own is a key factor.

http://www.m.webmd.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:37:27 PM
At 10/14/2016 1:23:23 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/14/2016 1:17:08 PM, Wylted wrote:

Codependent isn't just addiction based. Putting another's well being/feelings ahead of your own is a key factor.

http://www.m.webmd.com...

No it doesn't fit me. I am the opposite of clingy. I just want to do my own thing but this crazy b1tch always wants to know what I am doing. Jesus Christ I am leaving for 12 hours, stop hassling me about where or what I am doing. Or she wants to have conversations, but she is a shallow person. Like WTF, I hate small talk why can't this bitchh sit in silence. She also sometimes wants to sleep in the same bed or spend time together, so fvcking stupid. Why would I spend time with people. SO no not clingy at all from me.

Its just that every single woman I end up in a relationship is bipolar. Like those women that keep ending up in abusive relationships, I keep ending up with crazy b1tches