Guantanamo, Soviet gulag American Style

Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 5:17:31 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
( Copied from Washington post ):
"Like Amnesty, we, too, have written extensively about U.S. prisoner abuse at Guantanamo Bay, in Afghanistan and in Iraq. We have done so not only because the phenomenon is disturbing in its own right but also because it gives undemocratic regimes around the world an excuse to justify their own use of torture and indefinite detention and because it damages the U.S. government's ability to promote human rights."

It's easy to forget about humans we think they might kill us. My question is, if we think these prisoners are terrorists, we must have some kind of evidence to arrive at that conclusion. Why should it take 5, 10, or more years to present the evidence and convict them? Could it be that it's only a suspicion that these people might be a threat?
So, we tell them that their imprisonment is only temporary. Keeping them confined, without a trial, temporarily forever or until they die?
Am I missing something, or is that not what American values stand for? Imagine if it was you in the American Gulag.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:02:42 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/15/2016 5:17:31 AM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:
( Copied from Washington post ):
"Like Amnesty, we, too, have written extensively about U.S. prisoner abuse at Guantanamo Bay, in Afghanistan and in Iraq. We have done so not only because the phenomenon is disturbing in its own right but also because it gives undemocratic regimes around the world an excuse to justify their own use of torture and indefinite detention and because it damages the U.S. government's ability to promote human rights."

It's easy to forget about humans we think they might kill us. My question is, if we think these prisoners are terrorists, we must have some kind of evidence to arrive at that conclusion. Why should it take 5, 10, or more years to present the evidence and convict them? Could it be that it's only a suspicion that these people might be a threat?
So, we tell them that their imprisonment is only temporary. Keeping them confined, without a trial, temporarily forever or until they die?
Am I missing something, or is that not what American values stand for? Imagine if it was you in the American Gulag.

The actions of our government stand for our ignorance, not necessarily our values. No comment on the rest, beyond a general agreance with your stated principles, not that it matters.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.