Jump to topic:

Social Contract Theory vs Globalization

Apparelled
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 11:53:09 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I have recently done some reading on social contract theory and I believe I have found some conflicts between social contract theory (SCT) and the increasing globalization of the world. I would argue that the SCT diminishes in relevancy with every advance in globalization to the point of total irrelevance when the world reaches total globalization. I have not been able to find much literature that covers this topic and what I have found only attempts to justify approaches that skirt the inherent flaws with continuing to justify SCTs relevance in a global culture.
As simply as possible, SCT speaks how individuals relinquish certain rights in order to receive the benefits and protection of society through it's laws. The choice to relinquish these rights is determined through implied consent. The implied consent is granted through your choice to be, or continue to be a citizen. This is where the problems begin to arise. You choice of citizen ship is what is considered the only choice required as you have the ability to become a citizen of another society which holds true different ideals. When you add globalization into the equation the issue is that the choice of citizenship does not reflect a different set of ideals and is in fact an inability to choose. Which in turn destroys the initial consent which leads to the implied consent.
As a side note, it is illegal practically everywhere in the world to not be a member of a society. Not that I advocate such a choice, only that this once again negates the ability to a choice of citizenship.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:02:40 AM
At 10/18/2016 11:53:09 PM, Apparelled wrote:
As a side note, it is illegal practically everywhere in the world to not be a member of a society. Not that I advocate such a choice, only that this once again negates the ability to a choice of citizenship.

Society includes us without our consent. Since there's no consent, it can't be a contract, and thus there is no "social contract". Therefore, SCT is wrong.
Apparelled
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 3:43:56 AM
Society includes us without our consent. Since there's no consent, it can't be a contract, and thus there is no "social contract". Therefore, SCT is wrong.

Can I ask if you have any credentials ? Also what is the alternative to SCT?
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:14:21 AM
At 10/19/2016 3:43:56 AM, Apparelled wrote:

Can I ask if you have any credentials ?

You can.

Also what is the alternative to SCT?

Society is imposed on us without our agreement.
Apparelled
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 4:31:23 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:14:21 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

You can.

Hahaha. May I ask you to provide your credentials.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 10:37:14 PM
At 10/19/2016 4:31:23 PM, Apparelled wrote:
At 10/19/2016 4:14:21 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

You can.

Hahaha. May I ask you to provide your credentials.

You may.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 12:05:36 AM
At 10/18/2016 11:53:09 PM, Apparelled wrote:
I have recently done some reading on social contract theory and I believe I have found some conflicts between social contract theory (SCT) and the increasing globalization of the world. I would argue that the SCT diminishes in relevancy with every advance in globalization to the point of total irrelevance when the world reaches total globalization. I have not been able to find much literature that covers this topic and what I have found only attempts to justify approaches that skirt the inherent flaws with continuing to justify SCTs relevance in a global culture.
As simply as possible, SCT speaks how individuals relinquish certain rights in order to receive the benefits and protection of society through it's laws. The choice to relinquish these rights is determined through implied consent. The implied consent is granted through your choice to be, or continue to be a citizen. This is where the problems begin to arise. You choice of citizen ship is what is considered the only choice required as you have the ability to become a citizen of another society which holds true different ideals. When you add globalization into the equation the issue is that the choice of citizenship does not reflect a different set of ideals and is in fact an inability to choose. Which in turn destroys the initial consent which leads to the implied consent.

I'm no expert, but my take on this is citizenship is akin to belonging to a like minded (somewhat) community where one agrees to a certain extent to assimilate and integrate. This SCT for now is the norm. With total globalization, which is inevitable, these societal/cultural agreements, whether born into or voluntarily admitted will eventually dissolve. There will be a point in the future that individual nationalities will no longer exist, nor will borders or cultural identity.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 5:19:29 PM
Globalization is not inevitable. I think we could become very tribal without losing the technological progress and be fine. Tribalization would also insure that wars remained extremely small and nuclear weaponry would disappear.