Jump to topic:

Violation of a right

mgibbons
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 12:10:30 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Recently The Country, specifically the younger demographic, has been significantly divided on an issue. A beloved friend to many was taken from this world with absolutely no defense and because of a misunderstanding. Harambe was killed by a zookeeper in the Cincinnati Zoo on May 28th, after a small child climbed into his exhibit. Harambe was seen dragging the child around after hearing a lot of screaming by many of the bystanders. The zookeepers, instead of sedating the Gorilla, shot him dead in his exhibit and murdered him, yet there was no punishment.

Primates, specifically Gorillas, are considered to be the closest species to Humans, with their ability to feel, raise a family, read, and even communicate. A gorilla's DNA makeup is 98.7% similar to that of a human. That being said, the murder of Harambe is 98.7% similar to murdering a human, yet the Cincinnati zookeepers who killed him received no legal punishment. If it had been a human that they killed there would be many pieces of evidence that justify jail time for the murderers yet they were let off with not even a slap on the wrist. The zookeepers who killed Harambe should have to pay for what they did to him. They made a hasty judgement call and ended a life without proper consideration.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 12:57:43 PM
At 10/20/2016 12:10:30 PM, mgibbons wrote:
Recently The Country, specifically the younger demographic, has been significantly divided on an issue. A beloved friend to many was taken from this world with absolutely no defense and because of a misunderstanding. Harambe was killed by a zookeeper in the Cincinnati Zoo on May 28th, after a small child climbed into his exhibit. Harambe was seen dragging the child around after hearing a lot of screaming by many of the bystanders. The zookeepers, instead of sedating the Gorilla, shot him dead in his exhibit and murdered him, yet there was no punishment.

Primates, specifically Gorillas, are considered to be the closest species to Humans, with their ability to feel, raise a family, read, and even communicate. A gorilla's DNA makeup is 98.7% similar to that of a human. That being said, the murder of Harambe is 98.7% similar to murdering a human, yet the Cincinnati zookeepers who killed him received no legal punishment. If it had been a human that they killed there would be many pieces of evidence that justify jail time for the murderers yet they were let off with not even a slap on the wrist. The zookeepers who killed Harambe should have to pay for what they did to him. They made a hasty judgement call and ended a life without proper consideration.

I just have one question: was there a good chance that the gorilla could've killed the child, if only by accident? That the gorilla was "dragging the child around" would heavily imply this to be the case. Make no mistake: any second that gorilla could've broken the child's neck or crushed his skull.
A human life should always take precedence over the life of an animal. Always. Even if the animal in question is highly intelligent, such as a member of the Primate group.

Some people just want to find something to be outraged over in any given situation. Had the gorilla killed or seriously injured the child, those same people who demand "justice" for Harambe would be demanding to know why the zookeepers didn't shoot.

And make no mistake; tranquilisers do not take effect immediately. The gorilla, after having been hit with a tranquiliser dart, could've still done harm to the child in the seconds that followed, and it may've even been enraged, which would increase the immediate danger to the child's life.

tl;dr Zookeepers are trained professionals who have a much better grasp of such situations than internet armchair analysts.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 1:04:47 PM
Actually it's the chimpanzee, specifically the bonobo.

There is no good answer to the sad tale.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 2:50:12 PM
A gorilla's DNA makeup is 98.7% similar to that of a human. That being said, the murder of Harambe is 98.7% similar to murdering a human, yet the Cincinnati zookeepers who killed him received no legal punishment.

And our DNA is 75% similar to that of a pumpkin, does that mean that stepping on a pumpkin seedling is 75% similar to infanticide? DNA is a just a blueprint for protein construction, and a lot of organisms use the same proteins for certain tasks.

If it had been a human that they killed there would be many pieces of evidence that justify jail time for the murderers yet they were let off with not even a slap on the wrist. The zookeepers who killed Harambe should have to pay for what they did to him. They made a hasty judgement call and ended a life without proper consideration.

Gorillas don't have rights because they can't abide by a social contract. Humans have rights because I can sit down with another human being and say 'hey, you don't kill me, and I won't kill you', we can both grasp that concept and abide by it. Other animals, including gorillas, cannot. That's why idiots who try to keep chimps as pets sometimes get their faces ripped off. If a human were so psychotic that they randomly tried to slaughter innocent people, we'd put them in a cage for the rest of their life or kill them. The same reasoning applies to animals, though we have the additional option of allowing them to live in the wild.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:27:44 PM

Lol, are people still actually talking about this?

Out of all of the "outraged" people, probably only 15% on them are actually mad. The rest are just using it to abuse a dead meme at this point.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2016 6:55:16 PM

Honestly, the gorilla is dead now. Zookeepers doing time aint gonna bring Harambe back. I'm more concerned with the parents or whoever was with the kid, which is none of my business.

I question whether your motive is justice or vengeance, both of which would hypothetically be inflicted on someone you don't know. No need to answer, its your heart, not mine.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.