Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

is mixed race an option for identity?

Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 6:10:07 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

Before tainting my innocent mind with whatever the world is saying we should think, I'm just gonna throw out my seat of the pants perception. Perhaps I'll review later.

I've always identified myself by the most defined nationalities of the people my ancestors were said to come from, which is a mix that I present in terms of rough respective fractions. Not sure if that is socially right or wrong. This, to my personal experience, is lost knowledge for many African-Americans.

Black, or African American, is the common term for the race of old negro families already living in America. Every immigrant I have spoken to, has referred to their heritage by the most defined nationality of (or) the region/people their ancestors are said to have come from.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2016 7:08:14 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/22/2016 6:10:07 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

Before tainting my innocent mind with whatever the world is saying we should think, I'm just gonna throw out my seat of the pants perception. Perhaps I'll review later.

I've always identified myself by the most defined nationalities of the people my ancestors were said to come from, which is a mix that I present in terms of rough respective fractions. Not sure if that is socially right or wrong. This, to my personal experience, is lost knowledge for many African-Americans.

Black, or African American, is the common term for the race of old negro families already living in America. Every immigrant I have spoken to, has referred to their heritage by the most defined nationality of (or) the region/people their ancestors are said to have come from.

Also, I might add, being of mixed heritage, whatever race is applicable to the given situation has proven to be the race of most importance, or the dominant characterization in conversation.

For example, "He sure is a feisty character, must be the Irish in him". The amount of Irish in that person is irrelevant in conversation, as would be expected in such an irrational topic. The anger still comes from the Irish stereotype.

Such is also shown famously, as Barrack Obama was the first "black" president of America, something that is a point of pride as it shows how far we've come as a nation, even though he's not even of the same historical heritage as the people whom we refer to being proud of having opportunity to become president. Critics however still, to this day, call Obama white, or not black, in the context of their own agendas. Barack Obama, will generally refer to himself as Kenyan given choice to my experience unless the context calls for something else, along with the people who claimed he wasn't a natural born citizen.

Its all ridiculous, and aside from the personal identity, all in context in my opinion derived in blissful ignorance.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Archaholic
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 8:35:16 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
It depends on the country's history. There wasn't a real strong mixed race's history in US, as much as I know, so people usually identify themselves either as white or black, but not as a mixed race (if there is such a race thing). In south america, in the contrary, people have a strong mixed heritage, not just in color skin, but also in culture, so in this case it makes sense a mixed race identity, also called mestizos.

BR
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 11:39:21 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

So my great grandma immigrated to France from Algeria. Then they moved here after WW2. So just 100 years ago we were in Algiers... but I'm 'white'. Lol
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 12:51:07 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 11:39:21 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

So my great grandma immigrated to France from Algeria. Then they moved here after WW2. So just 100 years ago we were in Algiers... but I'm 'white'. Lol

pretty much it just depends on what society thinks you are, basically it's not your choice, on the flip side after a little reading it seems the "drop of black blood" was used as a negative, a contamination, rather than just being American we need our labels only we aren't suppose to label others, yet we do, but we aren't suppose to, gee i wonder why society is so f'd up?
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 1:31:59 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 12:51:07 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 11:39:21 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

So my great grandma immigrated to France from Algeria. Then they moved here after WW2. So just 100 years ago we were in Algiers... but I'm 'white'. Lol

pretty much it just depends on what society thinks you are, basically it's not your choice, on the flip side after a little reading it seems the "drop of black blood" was used as a negative, a contamination, rather than just being American we need our labels only we aren't suppose to label others, yet we do, but we aren't suppose to, gee i wonder why society is so f'd up?

Well lemme tell ya this... I got the Algerian complexion and beard and haven't shaved since Labor Day. I'm full on jihadi! Lol
kevin24018
Posts: 1,804
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 1:50:53 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 1:31:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 12:51:07 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 11:39:21 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

So my great grandma immigrated to France from Algeria. Then they moved here after WW2. So just 100 years ago we were in Algiers... but I'm 'white'. Lol

pretty much it just depends on what society thinks you are, basically it's not your choice, on the flip side after a little reading it seems the "drop of black blood" was used as a negative, a contamination, rather than just being American we need our labels only we aren't suppose to label others, yet we do, but we aren't suppose to, gee i wonder why society is so f'd up?

Well lemme tell ya this... I got the Algerian complexion and beard and haven't shaved since Labor Day. I'm full on jihadi! Lol

it's just funny how some can judge people by how they look but it's wrong for others to do so. You shouldn't assume a person is male or female but it's ok if someone looks "black" to assume they are, even if they are faking it. Is it any wonder why society is so messed up?
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 2:01:01 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/24/2016 1:50:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 1:31:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 12:51:07 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/24/2016 11:39:21 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/20/2016 7:46:05 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
https://www.quora.com...
one drop rule? ok? racist?
http://news.harvard.edu...
doh! "I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her."
https://www.psychologytoday.com...

So my great grandma immigrated to France from Algeria. Then they moved here after WW2. So just 100 years ago we were in Algiers... but I'm 'white'. Lol

pretty much it just depends on what society thinks you are, basically it's not your choice, on the flip side after a little reading it seems the "drop of black blood" was used as a negative, a contamination, rather than just being American we need our labels only we aren't suppose to label others, yet we do, but we aren't suppose to, gee i wonder why society is so f'd up?

Well lemme tell ya this... I got the Algerian complexion and beard and haven't shaved since Labor Day. I'm full on jihadi! Lol

it's just funny how some can judge people by how they look but it's wrong for others to do so. You shouldn't assume a person is male or female but it's ok if someone looks "black" to assume they are, even if they are faking it. Is it any wonder why society is so messed up?

I wholeheartedly agree which is why I mock the race stuff so much. If many want to live in a perpetual state of hypersensitivity, so be it. I'll laugh at them too.

But never fear, Hilary is here to lecture us all!
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 9:54:44 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/23/2016 8:35:16 PM, Archaholic wrote:
It depends on the country's history. There wasn't a real strong mixed race's history in US, as much as I know, so people usually identify themselves either as white or black, but not as a mixed race (if there is such a race thing). In south america, in the contrary, people have a strong mixed heritage, not just in color skin, but also in culture, so in this case it makes sense a mixed race identity, also called mestizos.

BR

There is a huge history of mixed race in America. Race is NOT, skin color. Skin color is used in the ignorance of race.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.