Jump to topic:

Communication

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:04:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
First off I apologize for my prolonged absence I had a plethora of issues that required my attention.

In my communications class the following definition for communication was presented.

An interactive process in which messages are exchanged and correctly interpreted.

I claimed that that was false and that a more accurate definition would be.

The sending and or receiving of information.

Discuss please.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:09:35 AM
Correctly interpreted?

Yeah, we are definitely destined to be replaced by machines.

Human beings are absolutely terrible at communication. By that definition, I'd say that communication probably happens less than half the time people talk to each other.

Probably WAY less than half.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:43:19 AM
At 1/18/2011 11:04:08 AM, Kahvan wrote:
First off I apologize for my prolonged absence I had a plethora of issues that required my attention.

In my communications class the following definition for communication was presented.

An interactive process in which messages are exchanged and correctly interpreted.

The problem with this definition is it includes miscommunication.
Discuss please.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 11:45:14 AM

Discuss please.

Your definition is far superior.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:16:46 AM
At 1/18/2011 11:43:19 AM, nonentity wrote:

Discuss please.

miscommunication is still communicating something tho isn't it?
I think a difference exists between communicating horribly and in no way what you intended to communicate, and not communicating anything at all.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 9:26:11 AM
I would say it would be virtually impossible to correctly interpret all forms of communicate, especially if the message is purposely hidden.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 1:21:27 PM
At 1/19/2011 9:26:11 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I would say it would be virtually impossible to correctly interpret all forms of communicate, especially if the message is purposely hidden.

What do you actually mean by that? It's not clear.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 1:29:52 PM
At 1/19/2011 9:16:46 AM, Kahvan wrote:
At 1/18/2011 11:43:19 AM, nonentity wrote:

Discuss please.

miscommunication is still communicating something tho isn't it?
I think a difference exists between communicating horribly and in no way what you intended to communicate, and not communicating anything at all.

if you go that route though, you entirely lose the intentional aspect to communication. i could be deemed to be "communicating" any time another human being was looking at me, provided that they were interpreting my behavior in some way. heck, even a dead person or an inanimate object could communicate on that reading....
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 1:40:22 PM
At 1/19/2011 1:21:27 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Not sure if that was a joke or I really wasn't clear
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 2:00:12 PM
At 1/19/2011 1:40:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/19/2011 1:21:27 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Not sure if that was a joke or I really wasn't clear

You guys fail at communication.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
dmargelo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:31:10 PM

Greetings,
I am new to the debate.org website and instead of jumping right into a heated debate on controversial topics I thought this would be a good warm-up.

Kahvan,

The KEY WORD in the definition you have given from your communication class is PROCESS. Communication (between two or more people) is an amalgamation of the components contained therein which are involuntarily interactive.

Your simplified definition of communication also eliminates the word interactive. I am assuming you have eliminated the word interactive because it is SEEMINGLY possible to convey your thoughts to another person (and being heard/understood) without receiving any definable, signify-able or acknowledgeable form of feedback. However, the lack of feedback or acknowledgement DOES NOT negate interaction occurred.

Looking closer at interaction and exchange:

Interaction is not simply action. Interaction is action, OR the capability to act. So, we are still interacting, even if we chose not to act. Action does not equal interaction.Thus, A person can choose to ignore your messages, (not participate) yet understand your message. (communicating) The principal of action and interaction also applies to the exchange of messages.
Messages are ALWAYS being sent. Even by consciously making an effort to not send a message; the choice to do so in itself is a message.

I only partially agree with the definition given in your class though. In my opinion the class definition is right on, until the last two words.(correctly interpreted) Your class definition of communication is exclusive in respect to what I would refer to as "positive communication" or "effective communication" Your class definition does not include "negative communication" within the definition. Negative communication occurs when messages being sent being incorrectly interpreted. The definition of communication given in your class implies that "negative communication" is not communication at all.

Rather, communication is a dichotomy of positive and negative communication. Negative communication is an equally important component of communication as positive. Why? Interpretation. By misinterpreting your intended message, a person often injects their own intent, motive or will into their response. In some instances, you are able to gain a far greater understanding of another individual or their position by what is revealed as a result of negative communication.

Now for my definition:

Communication - An amalgamation of a dichotomous and interactive process in which messages are interpreted to gain understanding.

I would be very interested to hear your professors remarks if you care to share in class!

Dan
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 8:50:30 PM
At 1/19/2011 8:31:10 PM, dmargelo wrote:
Communication - An amalgamation of a dichotomous and interactive process in which messages are interpreted to gain understanding.

A definition that requires 2 more definitions in order to understand its true meaning
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos