Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Racism is stupid, but Xenophobia is healthy.

Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2016 10:42:47 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Racism means judging people based on phenotype and genealogy. This is stupid, because those two things that have no impact on our lives unless we (or somebody with power in our lives) chooses to make them an issue.

Xenophobia means being wary of people from other countries and cultures. This is sensible, since both those things have a huge impact on what kind of person we become, and some countries and cultures are fucked_up.
lovesnivy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 9:44:30 PM
At 10/24/2016 10:42:47 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
Racism means judging people based on phenotype and genealogy. This is stupid, because those two things that have no impact on our lives unless we (or somebody with power in our lives) chooses to make them an issue.

Xenophobia means being wary of people from other countries and cultures. This is sensible, since both those things have a huge impact on what kind of person we become, and some countries and cultures are fucked_up.

Well it really depends on the country. I mean, if you were afraid of, say, France, for instance, then there's no real reason to be scared of them. It's ok when it's places like... North Korea? Yeeeaaah North Korea...
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 9:57:05 PM

They are both stupid....Yeah I'm gonna be more wary when I'm on the bad side of town with a higher probability of running into a bad honcho, but I'm still going to judge them by their presentation as an individual. Races have racism because there are stereotypes because there are characteristics in different proportion withing the population for whatever reason it may be probably large order unrelated to the race itself but still working with sufficient probability for the racist to maintain their position.

Just because we replaced a racial filter with a geological filter, or a cultural filter we somehow bypassed the fundamental problems inherent with prejudice?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 10:02:35 PM
At 10/25/2016 9:57:05 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

They are both stupid....Yeah I'm gonna be more wary when I'm on the bad side of town with a higher probability of running into a bad honcho, but I'm still going to judge them by their presentation as an individual. Races have racism because there are stereotypes because there are characteristics in different proportion withing the population for whatever reason it may be probably large order unrelated to the race itself but still working with sufficient probability for the racist to maintain their position.

Just because we replaced a racial filter with a geological filter, or a cultural filter we somehow bypassed the fundamental problems inherent with prejudice?

Actually I should reword this....Racism, and that whatever phobia really aren't bad in themselves. Its when people try to apply them in some sort of system where problems start to arise.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 10:38:11 PM
At 10/25/2016 9:44:30 PM, lovesnivy wrote:
Well it really depends on the country. I mean, if you were afraid of, say, France, for instance, then there's no real reason to be scared of them. It's ok when it's places like... North Korea? Yeeeaaah North Korea...

I'm very scared of France. Islamic countries are nasty.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 10:59:57 PM
At 10/25/2016 10:02:35 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Actually I should reword this....Racism, and that whatever phobia really aren't bad in themselves. Its when people try to apply them in some sort of system where problems start to arise.

Nah, racism really is stupid in the grand scheme. If you are going to insist on being a science denier, it's far better to be against global warming than to be a racist.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:18:45 PM
At 10/25/2016 10:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/25/2016 10:02:35 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Nah, racism really is stupid in the grand scheme. If you are going to insist on being a science denier, it's far better to be against global warming than to be a racist.

Well They are both stupid. One is irrational by definition and the other is irrational in practice. They aren't necessarily bad though...

Example: Lets say I think African Americans are better at basketball. My girlfriend asked show me the science, and I showed her the roster, and she gets pissed because I'm racist.....but so what? No big deal.

This wouldn't become an issue until I start advocating that we start skimming over others with greater skill because black people are "better", or maybe if I say that's all black people can do.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:45:01 PM
At 10/25/2016 10:38:11 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

Plant some of these

http://www.treeseeds.com...

Its said to help one overcome their fear along with a host of issues.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:50:50 PM

phobia: An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
Xeno: Prefix defining anything particularly foreign.

By definition, xenophobia cannot be "sensible". The dichotomy you've set up between racism and xenophobia is almost entirely arbitrary.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:52:26 PM
At 10/25/2016 11:50:50 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

By definition, xenophobia cannot be "sensible". The dichotomy you've set up between racism and xenophobia is almost entirely arbitrary.

You're quibbling the technical definitions instead of addressing the generalized meaning. I won't indulge that.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2016 11:59:29 PM
At 10/25/2016 11:52:26 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:
At 10/25/2016 11:50:50 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

You're quibbling the technical definitions instead of addressing the generalized meaning. I won't indulge that.

(Quite rich coming from an OP attempting to split hairs between two synonyms.)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 12:21:16 AM
At 10/25/2016 11:59:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

They're not synonyms, and only a retard would use them as such.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 12:26:00 AM
At 10/26/2016 12:21:16 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

Guess that makes the thesaurus retarded?
http://www.thesaurus.com...

Racism is literally on the first row of related synonyms.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 12:40:45 AM
At 10/26/2016 12:26:00 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Just like all the other dinosaurs.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 1:20:18 AM
At 10/25/2016 10:38:11 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

Sir intellect, seriously, can you not see your self generalizing a quality, and labeling it inferior across the board....Now whatever, you can fear people if you want to. Be careful how you let it bleed through into reality though. Everyone still needs to be addressed individually.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 1:28:13 AM

Here is the literally dictionary definition of xenophobia, because you obviously don't know what it is.

Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. (https://www.google.com...)

Let's compare this to the definition of racism.

Racism: 1) the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
2) Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. (https://www.google.com...)

If you ask me, xenophobia isn't "being wary of other people from other countries and cultures," and more like the definition I gave. In fact, if you look at the synonyms of racism, you'll see xenophobia listed. I wonder why...
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2016 2:10:24 AM
At 10/26/2016 1:28:13 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
In fact, if you look at the synonyms of racism, you'll see xenophobia listed. I wonder why...

Because cucks write the dictionaries.

Go Trump!
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 1:56:43 AM
At 10/26/2016 12:26:00 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 10/26/2016 12:21:16 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

http://www.thesaurus.com...

Racism is literally on the first row of related synonyms.

Political correctness ties misogyny, islamophobia, xenophobia, racism, tribalism, and all forms of discrimination as the same exact thing.

In reality, comparing discrimination based on racial characteristics with being vary/fearful of other nationalities/cultures is something ENTIRELY different, especially given the two are weakely correlated.

(I.e. somebody can fear Blacks from Africa but be okay with Blacks living in western countries)
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 1:57:41 AM

This really depends on how you define xenophobia, but it is perhaps too strong of a word to use. Though I do agree that certain cultures hold barbaric traditions and a sense of backwardness and that certain countries can be quite awful.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2016 12:56:12 PM
At 10/26/2016 1:28:13 AM, missbailey8 wrote:

Here is the literally dictionary definition of xenophobia, because you obviously don't know what it is.

Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. (https://www.google.com...)

Let's compare this to the definition of racism.

Racism: 1) the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
2) Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. (https://www.google.com...)

If you ask me, xenophobia isn't "being wary of other people from other countries and cultures," and more like the definition I gave. In fact, if you look at the synonyms of racism, you'll see xenophobia listed. I wonder why...

...you literally listed the definitions of two completely different things, and then proceeded to conflate them. One is based on the characteristic of race, while the other is based on national origin. Furthermore, one is concerned primarily with animus, while the other is concerned with either the belief in innate racial characteristics or superiority.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -