Jump to topic:

Tyler Oakley and Racism

Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 6:36:26 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Tyler Oakley has not gone on a Twitter rant about preference for skin color in terms of relationships is racist. He blamed society's beauty standards for 'whiteness' as the cause. Personally I think a) if you prefer a darker skin tone are you racist to whites? and b) He is just doing it for attention.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 6:50:54 PM
dunno I took the test as many did
https://implicit.harvard.edu...
I prefer darker skin, people do tan after all so, clearly neither extremes aren't desired but rather somewhere in the middle, like most things for us normals anyway.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2016 1:08:44 AM
At 10/28/2016 6:41:42 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Huh? Can you give a source?

https://twitter.com...

That and the rest of his responses to it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 1:30:57 AM
At 10/28/2016 6:36:26 PM, Fernyx wrote:
Tyler Oakley has not gone on a Twitter rant about preference for skin color in terms of relationships is racist. He blamed society's beauty standards for 'whiteness' as the cause. Personally I think a) if you prefer a darker skin tone are you racist to whites? and b) He is just doing it for attention.

I don't think he's doing it for attention. I think he really believes it, because in the past Tyler isn't the kind of guy who does things just for attention. He's a kind of bubbly guy, but he doesn't like to draw unneeded attention to himself. The way he did this, to me, suggests sincerity. Of course I could be wrong and the world may never know, but I don't think this is just for attention.

I do, however, disagree acutely with his view. Tyler's view is that if you have a racial preference that excludes darker skin people then that's racist, and such racism is caused by society's norms with respect to beauty. I think that's true that society does have some influence on what we individually perceive to be attractive, but I am largely skeptical of the impact that, for example, media and hollywood have on what we understand beauty to be. Surely it has some impact, but not much. What we see and experience around us, and what we are accustomed to generally is what defines our expectations of beauty.

Those experiences can cause people to stay within or go outside of the people who who look like them. Some men like asian women because they're asian. Some asian women like only white men for similar reasons. White mean, in China and Japan in particular are like unicorns... Likewise, some people have racial preferences that exclude all members of their own race, only members of other races, some races but not others, etc. This suggests that racial preference, to the extent that people have one, varies widely among the population.

Without compelling evidence that would suggest that all of society in general has a strong preference for white skin I am highly skeptical of Tyler's claims, though Tyler certainly isn't the only one making them. Many people have suggested similar thoughts. Beyond that, there is similarly no evidence that media or culture or whatever unduly elevate white skin over all other colors. Look at any Ralph Lauren magazine. There are as many whites as non-whites. Look at any Ferregamo ad. Same story; applies across the board in high fashion, and generally in TV advertisements as well.
Tsar of DDO
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 8:34:53 AM
At 10/28/2016 6:50:54 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
dunno I took the test as many did
https://implicit.harvard.edu...
I prefer darker skin, people do tan after all so, clearly neither extremes aren't desired but rather somewhere in the middle, like most things for us normals anyway.

That's racist!
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2016 9:16:52 AM
At 10/28/2016 6:36:26 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Kevin's Harvard test says I don't care, which I feel is accurate, as I think most of this racist stuff is kind of stupid, but always feel like I'm missing out because I don't really get it the way most people do.

This is just stuff that I notice, not like a standard I judge people by or anything.

They've all been known to entrance me. I get a slack jaw across the board. I do have a weird preference for whatever reason towards brunettes and redheads over dark hair and blond hair....Purtiest most heavenly girl on earth was semi pail blonde though. She could make the whole world go away, like literally tunnel vision aura stuff, and I don't know how I did it to this day as I've always been pretty shy, but her number was mine.... Second prettiest was dark hair with light Indian complexion. I hate the sound of a man from India, but I love the voice of an Indian woman, also mexican, german, some african countries, and southern. I generally appreciate a healthy degree of tan, and I think most girls like a tan to dark skin tone. I have never had a thing for the dark Africans yet but have seen some BEAUTIFUL ones that were a relatively light shade of brown. Gotta be clean. Hair can be done absolutely anyway as long as its neat. Don't care about make up, even with bad skin. I couldn't care less what my competition looks like, or how I'm supposed to appear. I run my own style, which happens to be pretty normal.

Eyes are the real killers.

I could go on forever here. My quirks are found in races round the world, so while some people may have to deal with the beauty standards they perceive, I sure don't pour the pressure on, and my best relationships were with dare I say, the most average of folk that didn't have to try with me. Once I start falling, none of this matters anyway.

One weird thing, and I've come to wonder about this....Every woman I date, no matter what she looked like, turned out to have German in her. Maybe that's just because there is a lot of German blood around here. Maybe I can't help myself. I think its the beer.

I think this beauty standard stuff is stupid, because for every style, look quirk, etc... there is going to be someone who thinks its perfect, or thinks what's underneath is so eclipsing they forget to worry about the subtleties of skin. If they can't do that they ain't worth the company.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 2:09:49 PM
At 11/2/2016 1:50:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
Ah yes another thread discussing blacks.....Thus proving my thread correctly...

Last I checked Tyler Oakley is not black, and it is discussing his opinion, not blacks. If you do not want to go on a thread 'discussing blacks' don't go on the thread.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 9:11:04 PM

Black

-Ron Burgandy
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 12:58:06 PM
At 11/2/2016 2:09:49 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Last I checked Tyler Oakley is not black, and it is discussing his opinion, not blacks. If you do not want to go on a thread 'discussing blacks' don't go on the thread.

Blacks were mentioned here thus my point
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 1:31:42 PM
At 11/5/2016 12:58:06 PM, Hiu wrote:

You are so concerned by this why?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 3:07:26 PM
At 11/5/2016 1:31:42 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Because in every thread in this section blacks are always discussed.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 7:22:55 PM
At 11/5/2016 3:07:26 PM, Hiu wrote:

Yeah, because it is a big topic in social issues now. There should not be a problem discussing popular topics.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 1:24:20 AM
At 11/5/2016 7:22:55 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Yeah, because it is a big topic in social issues now. There should not be a problem discussing popular topics.

Black people and BLM aren't the only demographic on the planet....It's big topics for people with racial biases.
Fernyx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 2:43:14 PM
At 11/6/2016 1:24:20 AM, Hiu wrote:

Black people and BLM aren't the only demographic on the planet....It's big topics for people with racial biases.

You seem to discuss it a lot, you must have quite the racial bias. Also here are 4 straight that are not about black people- https://gyazo.com...
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 1:16:46 AM
At 11/6/2016 2:43:14 PM, Fernyx wrote:

You seem to discuss it a lot, you must have quite the racial bias. Also here are 4 straight that are not about black people- https://gyazo.com...

Apparently you suffer from cognitive dissonance. I participate in the discussions by those who start threads which is why I challenge everyone here to demonstrate the following:

1) That I am racist

2) That all I do is make threads about race

So far people in this thread have failed. There is a difference in participating in redundant topics and starting these topics. I tend to do the former hence my thread "Why do people here discuss blacks so much" thread...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 3:34:43 AM
At 11/6/2016 2:43:14 PM, Fernyx wrote:

Racist baiter...