Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 2:45:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
https://www.youtube.com...

James (Jamie) Charles is the first ever male brand ambassador for Cover Girl makeup. My boyfriend told me who he was and it didn't take long to figure out what this meant.

First, Jamie is obviously just as cute as he can be. He's also the kind of guy who would have (when I was in high school) been mercilessly bullied for being a "queer" or a "sissy" or a "makeup wearing f@g." I know, because when I was in high school in Boston, we had a boy who was two years older than I was that was just like him. Even in what is easily the most liberal, progressive state in the country, the kids were brutal to him.

That's why this is a good thing. I'm not saying that Jamie may never have faced any kind of bullying, but the social recognition (he's now partners with Katie Perry) he's gotten is good for society. It's good to set standards that people can defy gender norms, with the recognition that the world's not going to end. If boys want to wear makeup, that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.
Tsar of DDO
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:46:07 AM
At 11/3/2016 2:45:10 AM, YYW wrote:

James (Jamie) Charles is the first ever male brand ambassador for Cover Girl makeup. My boyfriend told me who he was and it didn't take long to figure out what this meant.

First, Jamie is obviously just as cute as he can be. He's also the kind of guy who would have (when I was in high school) been mercilessly bullied for being a "queer" or a "sissy" or a "makeup wearing f@g." I know, because when I was in high school in Boston, we had a boy who was two years older than I was that was just like him. Even in what is easily the most liberal, progressive state in the country, the kids were brutal to him.

That's why this is a good thing. I'm not saying that Jamie may never have faced any kind of bullying, but the social recognition (he's now partners with Katie Perry) he's gotten is good for society. It's good to set standards that people can defy gender norms, with the recognition that the world's not going to end. If boys want to wear makeup, that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

This is pretty good. Some guys tried the makeup trend in the 80's but it didn't take hold. This kid is a real cutie. Hope he brings up the confidence level of kids like him. It's all good.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 12:44:31 PM
This reminds me of one of my teachers ranting about how boys should be allowed to wear make-up, because a lot of famous guys wear make-up in movies and girls fall in love with them
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:35:58 PM
I'm too old to care... and a lot of hair bands wore tons of makeup. I didn't care then either.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 2:25:18 AM
Now men, too, can experience the joy of shelling out hundreds of dollars in order to buy materials to paint a second face on every morning because the media bombards them with messages declaring that they're 'slovenly' if they don't.

Just think of all the little boys who will, hopefully, someday wipe the paint off their face every night, look in the mirror at their real features, and think 'I'm ugly!' before falling asleep.

Ah, I love the smell of vapid consumerism and equality in the morning!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 4:15:33 AM
At 11/5/2016 2:25:18 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Now men, too, can experience the joy of shelling out hundreds of dollars in order to buy materials to paint a second face on every morning because the media bombards them with messages declaring that they're 'slovenly' if they don't.

Just think of all the little boys who will, hopefully, someday wipe the paint off their face every night, look in the mirror at their real features, and think 'I'm ugly!' before falling asleep.

Yes It' consumerism, but young people seek to fit in and is part of forming their identity. As an older woman, I have given up wearing makeup on a daily basis, it's only applied for work. It takes maturity to feel comfortable in one's own skin. Youth does not afford this confidence when they are trying to find their way. It's too bad that fitting in means purchasing stuff as a means of gaining self worth, but that's where we are at in our image conscience society. It's not fair or right just the situation.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 4:49:41 AM
At 11/5/2016 4:15:33 AM, Peepette wrote:

Yes It' consumerism, but young people seek to fit in and is part of forming their identity. As an older woman, I have given up wearing makeup on a daily basis, it's only applied for work. It takes maturity to feel comfortable in one's own skin. Youth does not afford this confidence when they are trying to find their way. It's too bad that fitting in means purchasing stuff as a means of gaining self worth, but that's where we are at in our image conscience society. It's not fair or right just the situation.

I understand the reality, but it's ugly and shouldn't be celebrated. If women started wearing less makeup, that would be something to be happy over. Men wearing it as well is the opposite.

Makeup used to be either a class symbol or a form of heavily ritualized cultural communication (Japan and various native tribes) . As a class symbol it was either frowned upon as a sign of vanity and haughtiness (Europe/Middle East - when in excess), or accepted as part of a rightful order (China). We've gone from that being the case to the point where people paint on false features each day, slit open their breasts and stuff them with silicon sacs, inject poison into their face, cut their skin and drag it back in order to pull it tighter over their bones in order to feel 'beautiful'. From an outside perception, our society's beauty standards, and the extent to which we go to pursue them, are outright deranged and an immense waste of resources, but the horror at it is muted by familiarity. We look back in shock at things like foot binding, but are we really very far away from that at this point?

It's much worse for women than it is for men, and we should be working on making it societally acceptable for woman to walk around without makeup, not celebrating moving towards South Korea in our standards, with its neurotic cosmetic culture which afflicts both genders.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 2:00:51 PM
At 11/5/2016 4:49:41 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I understand the reality, but it's ugly and shouldn't be celebrated. If women started wearing less makeup, that would be something to be happy over. Men wearing it as well is the opposite.

Makeup used to be either a class symbol or a form of heavily ritualized cultural communication (Japan and various native tribes) . As a class symbol it was either frowned upon as a sign of vanity and haughtiness (Europe/Middle East - when in excess), or accepted as part of a rightful order (China). We've gone from that being the case to the point where people paint on false features each day, slit open their breasts and stuff them with silicon sacs, inject poison into their face, cut their skin and drag it back in order to pull it tighter over their bones in order to feel 'beautiful'. From an outside perception, our society's beauty standards, and the extent to which we go to pursue them, are outright deranged and an immense waste of resources, but the horror at it is muted by familiarity. We look back in shock at things like foot binding, but are we really very far away from that at this point?

It's much worse for women than it is for men, and we should be working on making it societally acceptable for woman to walk around without makeup, not celebrating moving towards South Korea in our standards, with its neurotic cosmetic culture which afflicts both genders.

I see nothing wrong with western beauty standards.
Tsar of DDO
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 3:35:16 PM
At 11/5/2016 4:49:41 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You will get no argument from me on this point. Standards of beauty and the need of some individuals to attain them is a sad state of affairs. One's self worth or acceptance should not be based on appearance, but the media has told us otherwise and young people are very cruel to one another based on appearance. To think that billions a year in purchases are spent to "fit in" to a standard is truly disheartening, especially when that money can be much better spent on education or other means of bettering one's life over the long term. I agree it's a waste of resources and a misalignment of priorities.