Jump to topic:

Most red neck state in America

FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 3:35:32 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I do a lot of traveling in the USA and I have to say that the state of West Virginia has to be the most red neck, racist state in America for me. There are more pick-up trucks with gun racks, confederate flags and shirtless guys in overalls then any other state I have been to. I don't ever pull off the main highway, did a few times and I thought I would get raped by the local toothless in-bred population, where the brother and sister must get it on because there is no one else around, and moonshine is the local hobby. They could film Deliverance 2 there.

I haven't visited all the states so I'm just curious could there be another state that is more red neck then West Virginia.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 12:05:02 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/10/2016 3:35:32 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
I do a lot of traveling in the USA and I have to say that the state of West Virginia has to be the most red neck, racist state in America for me. There are more pick-up trucks with gun racks, confederate flags and shirtless guys in overalls then any other state I have been to. I don't ever pull off the main highway, did a few times and I thought I would get raped by the local toothless in-bred population, where the brother and sister must get it on because there is no one else around, and moonshine is the local hobby. They could film Deliverance 2 there.

I haven't visited all the states so I'm just curious could there be another state that is more red neck then West Virginia.

I am confused.
You seem to use 'redneck' as a derogative term.
A red neck is someone who does not have a lot of money, but still manages to get by with good food, clean house, nice family, etc.

I have friends, some of them from West-by-God-Virginia, who are proud to call themselves rednecks.
I am proud to call them friends.

The only time I feared for my safety and life if I pulled to the side of the road I was in New York city.
Now those are some scary people.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 6:44:26 PM

I see alot of gun toting, shirtless POC too, some with Mexican flags...maybe they don't need trucks because they don't have to work though.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 11:15:55 PM
I always find it ironic that some of the highest concentrations of confederate flags can be found in West Virginia and Eastern Tennessee, given that these two areas had a very large number of Union sympathizers during the war. In fact, the reason West Virginia separated from Virginia was because of that.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:57:33 AM
At 11/19/2016 11:15:55 PM, Subutai wrote:
I always find it ironic that some of the highest concentrations of confederate flags can be found in West Virginia and Eastern Tennessee, given that these two areas had a very large number of Union sympathizers during the war. In fact, the reason West Virginia separated from Virginia was because of that.

It would seem to make sense that there would be more tension and reverberations throughout the generations in areas of division?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 3:08:29 AM

What do racists have to do with any of this? I got a kick out of that...Just a random racist thrown in there. In North Carolina there are towns that put the lineage in the paper so people know who they can and cannot date....At least that's how its supposed to go. I grew up in a similar town as an outsider and basically had a monopoly :). Arkansas takes the cake for me personally, but North Dakota does pretty well too believe it or not. Go any further west then either state and you are crossing into cattle country which seems to breed a significantly different strain to the stereotypical redneck.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 9:19:31 AM
Identity politics is good for no one, whether we're talking about "[insert other kind of racial slur here]" or rednecks. "Redneck" is more or less another racist term, and attempting to apply it is wholly counter-intuitive.

I was born and raised in "redneck" culture, and this sort of talk has created an atmosphere where many poor rural folk (mostly white, but not all) see their destiny as a sort of existential "us vs. the world". While one might attach the label of "redneck" to people with the good intention of isolating racists, no one wants to be called a racist, and the backlash is invariably to take pride in "redneck-ness". They easily buy into narratives about the rest of the country and world being disaster zones, because the alternative (to accept that they are and everyone around them is a bad person) is unacceptable. They take ownership of the term and load it with positive connotations for themselves (hard work, family ties, religiosity, etc.), and the result is only greater polarization.

I vehemently disagree with the views of most rural people on almost every single issue, but when you frame all talk as 'us vs. them" or "good vs. evil", well, that's exactly what you're going to get. Everyone has a responsibility to engage constructively with opposing viewpoints; otherwise, we only get the polarization we have. Somehow, despite the fact that in the eyes of literally my whole family I want to "murder millions of innocent children" (abortion), we still can gather around the dinner table and talk like decent human beings.

Note that this post is also applicable to other labels. African-American, Latino, transgender, poor, rich, or anything else--no matter what it is, everyone is better off by not resorting to stereotyping. Do poor rural folk tend to be more racist than others? You could make a good case that it so, but that's not a justification for the statement "the rural poor are racist", any more than the fact that Hispanics commit more crime than non-Hispanic whites is a justification for saying, "they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists." Any time we attempt to define the discourse along ethnic lines, that's exactly what we'll get--a terrible ethnic discourse. Everyone needs to stop racial profiling in their daily lives, and the left has an amazing opportunity in these next four years to lead by example. We should not squander it, and should demonstrate our commitment to equality toward all people. The left has an amazing chance to build a class consciousness among the working people. If the left offers to bring the lower and middle classes up, to recognize that, although the rich are by no means bad, the system is unfairly skewed in their favor; if the left unites those classes to achieve prosperity, rather than perpetuates the ethnic divides which have so often crushed those efforts, then all can finally enjoy the well-deserved fruits of their labor.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:50:13 AM
At 11/20/2016 2:57:33 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

It would seem to make sense that there would be more tension and reverberations throughout the generations in areas of division?

There's no "tension" in either WV or eastern TN right now, and there wasn't much during the civil war either. If anything, the vast majority of them are Confederate "sympathizers", while, during the war, the majority of the population in those areas were Union sympathizers.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 3:26:28 AM
At 11/20/2016 10:50:13 AM, Subutai wrote:
At 11/20/2016 2:57:33 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

There's no "tension" in either WV or eastern TN right now, and there wasn't much during the civil war either. If anything, the vast majority of them are Confederate "sympathizers", while, during the war, the majority of the population in those areas were Union sympathizers.

Those are border states though. Tennessee had a bunch of battles. My thinking was not so much that there is tension anymore. I don't see the confederate flag is a modern tension producing symbol some give it credit for, but then again, I have no connection whatsoever to the war. My family came after and lived in the west. I just figured there would be a lot of talk through the generations in those states and it would hold relevance for people.