Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Do young people have a sense of entitlement?

FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 7:41:37 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
When I was growing up it seemed to me like everyone had to work their way up, starting with a paper route then working their way up in the work place. I also moved out at 19 and had a full time job and a car for commuting and I managed to get by with a small apartment, and I didn't walk barefoot uphill both ways in a foot of snow.

It seems to me today that young people feel like they are entitled to high paying jobs right out of university or college, and they stay at home until their 30's or later. Their priority seems to be on getting the new I-pad or smart phone instead of getting a job and working up in the company. Is the current generation going to live in their mothers basements until they are 40?

Or is it just me
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2016 8:33:27 PM
At 11/10/2016 7:41:37 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
When I was growing up it seemed to me like everyone had to work their way up, starting with a paper route then working their way up in the work place. I also moved out at 19 and had a full time job and a car for commuting and I managed to get by with a small apartment, and I didn't walk barefoot uphill both ways in a foot of snow.

It seems to me today that young people feel like they are entitled to high paying jobs right out of university or college, and they stay at home until their 30's or later. Their priority seems to be on getting the new I-pad or smart phone instead of getting a job and working up in the company. Is the current generation going to live in their mothers basements until they are 40?

Or is it just me

nope not just you, it's the way of the world now, hell even here, the governor's wife is one tv whining about how poor kids don't have high speed internet at home, apparently they have computers some how but not HIGH speed internet, not just regular dial up, that's not good enough, but yeah they need free high speed internet now, because you know library's and schools that we already pay for with tax dollars don't already have it. then what will happen is these poor kids have high speed internet but their computers are slow. Just a tip of the iceberg.
gilkai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 11:25:01 AM

Well, young people just believe what others tell them. Simple as that. If everyone goes to college, they just do that because they perceive thats what they are supposed to do. And there's nothing wrong about it, staying at mom's basement or whatever as long as they have the proof of their success: a bachelors degree.
OnTony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 10:20:22 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/12/2016 11:25:01 AM, gilkai wrote:

Well, young people just believe what others tell them. Simple as that. If everyone goes to college, they just do that because they perceive thats what they are supposed to do. And there's nothing wrong about it, staying at mom's basement or whatever as long as they have the proof of their success: a bachelors degree.

Indeed
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:11:21 PM

Or is it just me

I'm still pretty young. I haven't seen that anyone expects they are entitled to support at all after a certain age somewhere in the teens. Its put down sometimes when people do have the support of their parents though, or get government help, scholarships etc... and I'm not really sure why. If I have the opportunity I'll take it. Growing up however, there were a minor but still significant amount of kids that would B!tch about what their parents weren't getting them if others had it but I wouldn't assume it wasn't large enough to label as a generational thing. This is most universally displayed in the cellphone when the kids are too young to get a job and that's something I see today in the newest generation. Where I lived however your parents gave you a cell phone, and you had to be happy with it until you could pay for your own. Girls with able families would get nice cars/trucks purchased for them and they were always thankful, except for one California blond type. Guys were generally too proud and found a way to work into a starter car, saved their money and bought a better one, or fixed up their first car.

I grew up rural, and I'm sure I subconsciously select the company I keep.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2016 8:25:31 PM
At 11/18/2016 8:11:21 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Or is it just me

I'm still pretty young. I haven't seen that anyone expects they are entitled to support at all after a certain age somewhere in the teens. Its put down sometimes when people do have the support of their parents though, or get government help, scholarships etc... and I'm not really sure why. If I have the opportunity I'll take it. Growing up however, there were a minor but still significant amount of kids that would B!tch about what their parents weren't getting them if others had it but I wouldn't assume it wasn't large enough to label as a generational thing. This is most universally displayed in the cellphone when the kids are too young to get a job and that's something I see today in the newest generation. Where I lived however your parents gave you a cell phone, and you had to be happy with it until you could pay for your own. Girls with able families would get nice cars/trucks purchased for them and they were always thankful, except for one California blond type. Guys were generally too proud and found a way to work into a starter car, saved their money and bought a better one, or fixed up their first car.

I grew up rural, and I'm sure I subconsciously select the company I keep.

Actually I take it back. When I went to college there were these metro kids that expected businesses to be open 24/7. No matter how much I tell them people have families and its good that businesses hold realistic hours city people never really seemed to get used to it, like people should work a night AM shift at McDonald's just so you can have your munchies once a month, and give up their family time on Sundays for whatever is so pressing on Sunday mornings. They b!tched about all kinds of stuff that just made sense to me. I guess you get used to having more and notice when things change.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 3:17:23 AM

A lot of millennials have those things too.

It seems to me today that young people feel like they are entitled to high paying jobs right out of university or college, and they stay at home until their 30's or later.

Just the stupid ones.

Their priority seems to be on getting the new I-pad or smart phone instead of getting a job and working up in the company. Is the current generation going to live in their mothers basements until they are 40?

Some people don't feel the need to advance their careers. They have enough money to support themselves and can't be bothered working harder for more.

Or is it just me

Millennials have a bad reputation because of all the SJWs. Most of them are actually responsible and hard-working.
MasterJames
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 11:47:05 AM
I think young people definetly feel some sort of entitlement, When i finished college it was very easy for me to find a job, so it all depends on what u choose to study
Maybe it's just you