Jump to topic:

Flags at half mast

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 10:34:06 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
It feels like the pas year or two has had more flags flown at half mast then I can ever remember, and it depresses me. While, skeptical, I'm also very hopeful Trump will lead to a brighter, more positive America. Hopefully he is the vent we need, as I've felt like President Obama has been poking and prodding the nation in its soft spots for some time. Any thoughts?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 2:01:09 PM
At 11/11/2016 10:34:06 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
It feels like the pas year or two has had more flags flown at half mast then I can ever remember, and it depresses me. While, skeptical, I'm also very hopeful Trump will lead to a brighter, more positive America. Hopefully he is the vent we need, as I've felt like President Obama has been poking and prodding the nation in its soft spots for some time. Any thoughts?

given the current state of things, I don't think the left will allow it. they seem unable to take the high road, even though Obama and Hillary seem to with their speeches, because of which I have gained a lot of respect for both, which really I had very little before that. The negativity is so heavy even though nothing has even happened yet.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 4:07:00 AM
At 11/11/2016 2:01:09 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

given the current state of things, I don't think the left will allow it. they seem unable to take the high road, even though Obama and Hillary seem to with their speeches, because of which I have gained a lot of respect for both, which really I had very little before that. The negativity is so heavy even though nothing has even happened yet.

After thirty years and a crushing defeat, the left still hasn't learned that calling people bigots doesn't invalidate their opinion or their vote. They won't learn it in the next four years either.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 1:29:44 PM
At 11/12/2016 4:07:00 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

After thirty years and a crushing defeat, the left still hasn't learned that calling people bigots doesn't invalidate their opinion or their vote. They won't learn it in the next four years either.

I find most overly angry, hateful and nasty bunch. they seem to reflect the very accusations they make towards the right.
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 11:13:43 PM
At 11/12/2016 1:29:44 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/12/2016 4:07:00 AM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

I find most overly angry, hateful and nasty bunch. they seem to reflect the very accusations they make towards the right.

People criticize in others what they hate most in themselves.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 3:58:40 PM

Please give examples of how he has poked soft spots.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 1:56:21 PM

"When I was a kid, the flags would be lowered to half mast maybe once every few years. Now, we might as well cut the flag poles in half." - Some guy who I'm too lazy to find the name of
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 9:22:14 AM
I'm not from the US so I want to ask, are flags really that common over there? do people really raise flags all the time? I'm personally from the netherlands and I barely see any flags ever so to me it would be weird that so many people would hang/raise flags there in the US.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 1:02:37 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 9:22:14 AM, gdirulez wrote:
I'm not from the US so I want to ask, are flags really that common over there? do people really raise flags all the time? I'm personally from the netherlands and I barely see any flags ever so to me it would be weird that so many people would hang/raise flags there in the US.

Yes, government buildings, libraries, schools, lots of people fly them, especially during veteran's day, independence day
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 3:13:49 PM

They are absolutely everywhere in the heartland of America that I have more experience with. When the flag is flown at half mast, its a signal to all Americans of something requiring solemness and respect taking place and a repeated reminder throughout your day. Almost impossible to miss. I can't speak for other Americans, but it registers with me pretty effectively. We don't sit there in awe staring at its beauty contemplating what it is to be American, but I believe a typical American takes great pride in their flag, and holds emotional investment and a recognition for what it stands for, unwilling to surrender it. That's how I feel in my area, though America has a lot of sub culture and variance. We never have these flag burning activists where I live no matter how mad people get.

This will play on the country stations worth listening to around Independence Day till the 4th of July. By Johny Cash
https://www.youtube.com...

Just about every government building has a state and national flag. In addition you see the stars and stripes at restaurants, hospitals, schools (government, duh), houses, gas stations, car dealerships, farms, corporate buildings, factories....I could go on forever. Its not like everyone has one, but if you are driving it would be rare to go a minute without spotting a flag in my area. One of the presidential candidates this year was a multi-dealership owner who took pride in one of the tallest flag staffs in America. Its not like a status thing where my flag is bigger. He was purportedly a successful and grateful early generation American if I recall and people just express patriotism in different ways. Perkins, a major restaurant chain, has a huge one the size of a small house at every location. It could be more of an advertisement, but its been that way since the first store, and is admittedly pretty cool.

Here's a picture of the Perkins flag just for the heck of it. You might not be able to tell by the reference points, but its probably 4 or 5+ American cars wide, by 3 American pickups long.
http://althouse.blogspot.com...
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 4:03:27 PM
At 11/13/2016 3:58:40 PM, slo1 wrote:

Please give examples of how he has poked soft spots.

My intention is not to systematically blame or condemn Barack Obama. He has good reason to be proud of his service to our country. If he's been inspirational to you, that's great. If not, that's fine. This thread is looking forward.
gdirulez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:13:01 PM
At 11/15/2016 3:13:49 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

They are absolutely everywhere in the heartland of America that I have more experience with. When the flag is flown at half mast, its a signal to all Americans of something requiring solemness and respect taking place and a repeated reminder throughout your day. Almost impossible to miss. I can't speak for other Americans, but it registers with me pretty effectively. We don't sit there in awe staring at its beauty contemplating what it is to be American, but I believe a typical American takes great pride in their flag, and holds emotional investment and a recognition for what it stands for, unwilling to surrender it. That's how I feel in my area, though America has a lot of sub culture and variance. We never have these flag burning activists where I live no matter how mad people get.

This will play on the country stations worth listening to around Independence Day till the 4th of July. By Johny Cash

Just about every government building has a state and national flag. In addition you see the stars and stripes at restaurants, hospitals, schools (government, duh), houses, gas stations, car dealerships, farms, corporate buildings, factories....I could go on forever. Its not like everyone has one, but if you are driving it would be rare to go a minute without spotting a flag in my area. One of the presidential candidates this year was a multi-dealership owner who took pride in one of the tallest flag staffs in America. Its not like a status thing where my flag is bigger. He was purportedly a successful and grateful early generation American if I recall and people just express patriotism in different ways. Perkins, a major restaurant chain, has a huge one the size of a small house at every location. It could be more of an advertisement, but its been that way since the first store, and is admittedly pretty cool.

Here's a picture of the Perkins flag just for the heck of it. You might not be able to tell by the reference points, but its probably 4 or 5+ American cars wide, by 3 American pickups long.

oh wow never knew it was that extreme in the US, do you ever get tired of constantly seeing the flag constantly everywhere or does it simply inspire/increase your patriotism?

as I said before in my area in the Netherlands I don't ever see a flag, only exception is if someone passed school and then they hang the flag + bag outside but except that I never see it so to me it seems so extreme to have a flag everywhere, then again I suppose to you it would seem weird that in my area the flag would never be seen.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 4:35:02 PM
At 11/16/2016 4:13:01 PM, gdirulez wrote:

oh wow never knew it was that extreme in the US, do you ever get tired of constantly seeing the flag constantly everywhere or does it simply inspire/increase your patriotism?

as I said before in my area in the Netherlands I don't ever see a flag, only exception is if someone passed school and then they hang the flag + bag outside but except that I never see it so to me it seems so extreme to have a flag everywhere, then again I suppose to you it would seem weird that in my area the flag would never be seen.

don't forget there are state flags too, the Confederate flag, P.O.W. flags (never forget) depending on where in the U.S. you are, Canadian flags are flown with the U.S. flag, Some have flags on the vehicles, and the sport team flags as well.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:02:20 PM

Its not extreme, at least in my perspective. Just an expression like anything else. I'll reiterate to give a more precise image.

Its not everywhere at all the houses and every street corner except during times like memorial day, veterans day, and independence day. You don't constantly see it, but upon going outside and driving around you'd see a fair amount of them. They are nice to see, but I tried to convey that we don't puff up in our Americanness just because there is a flag around, but occasionally I can't help but appreciate it or be reminded of what its been through and stands for. It is 'always' respected, and nice to see someone's support and gratitude for America but I probably take it for granted. A flag owner taking care of their flag that stands for something they believe in is probably a more rewarding experience then seeing one in anyone's book, and that is what I appreciate when I see a personal flag outside of government ordinance.

I'll never get tired of our flag. The song I posted is a fairly good representation for me, probably a better one then I could write on its personal connection, though emotionally exaggerated. We are a great nation, but although we will mess up, we'll get down, and go through hardship, we as Americans will not give up. We are winners, and that is why even in hard times I would not surrender the flag, because I love what America and its flag stands for, and will strive to exemplify it, not abandon it.

Well the flag prominence is generated from an expression of patriotism in America. We grow up, at least I did, pledging allegiance to the flag and for which it stands, and a significant amount are very proud of our nation or its principle. The flag is one way of expressing that. I'm not surprised at all its not the same everywhere. America, I believe holds special interest in it because we are the United States of America, and it is our uniting banner. It is the thing all Americans can relate to, and we truly need that expressed somehow to be a nation, as we are a diverse and rebellious bunch.

Here is our pledge of allegiance we say once per day towards a flag that sits in every classroom where I grew up.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

So the way we grow up, the flag is directly linked to our commitment to make America work, with liberty and justice for all. Its almost hardwired to an extent I suppose after saying the pledge of all those times. Its not just a colorful banner because it is repeatedly associated with the content that makes up the pledge of allegiance, a living principle.

Getting off that topic, now you can see, if a little liberty is lost, or justice is somehow hampered or misguided, why significant amounts of Americans start getting their panties in a bunch and make some noise. It may or may not be as good or bad as anywhere else, but its in our culture, ingrained in Americans, to stand for liberty and justice for all Americans and when the news says otherwise, we get pissed as a nation, sometimes in different ways.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:28:57 PM
At 11/16/2016 4:35:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

don't forget there are state flags too, the Confederate flag, P.O.W. flags (never forget) depending on where in the U.S. you are, Canadian flags are flown with the U.S. flag, Some have flags on the vehicles, and the sport team flags as well.

I'll vouch for Canada. Such a nice looking banner. I suppose they probably fly Mexican Flags by the border too.

I felt bad about the movement against the Confederate flag. So many people waive that thing for so many reasons, and now everyone wants to say it can only be the voice of slavery. Then again, it is a rebel flag so if you are waiving it you probably don't care anyway. I can't believe they took the General Lee off TV though. That's just unAmerican.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:50:26 PM
At 11/16/2016 6:28:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/16/2016 4:35:02 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I'll vouch for Canada. Such a nice looking banner. I suppose they probably fly Mexican Flags by the border too.

I felt bad about the movement against the Confederate flag. So many people waive that thing for so many reasons, and now everyone wants to say it can only be the voice of slavery. Then again, it is a rebel flag so if you are waiving it you probably don't care anyway. I can't believe they took the General Lee off TV though. That's just unAmerican.

so much for the harmless sjw leftist, by doing what they have it has given the symbol more power that it would have otherwise, anytime you make something taboo you have a bunch of people who now want it because it's taboo. it's totally anti free speech.