Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Biggest Reasons For Failed Marriages . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:19:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
List what you believe are the primary reasons for failed marriages . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:38:01 PM
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:41:13 PM
At 1/20/2011 8:19:44 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
List what you believe are the primary reasons for failed marriages . . .:

A lot of reasons too intricate to pinpoint accurately. Everything from financial issues to lack of communication, and everything in between.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MewxVenus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:41:16 PM
The A Game Effect coupled with haste

When two people are dating, they really want to impress each other so they try to conceal their flaws. The more time they spend together, the more flaws are unveiled.

So if you were to decide "OH MY GOSH! I love this person so much, I'm gonna marry them right now!" Anywhere between the first five minutes to eleven months of dating, you're setting yourself up for failure, depression, and disappointment.
: At 1/20/2011 10:42:53 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
: I didn't say ugly stick. I said it was beyond stick, it was a paddle.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 8:59:07 PM

People getting married when they aren't ready
People getting too jealous too easily.
People not being able to afford marriage
Children
Just what I could think of right away
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
boomeranghugs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 9:48:53 PM
Getting married before you really get to know who the person is

and

Superficiality.
Being a nerd really pays off sometimes.
Ken Jennings
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:06:26 AM
At 1/20/2011 8:38:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
osho

is he from the future? o.O
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:07:39 AM
At 1/31/2011 8:06:26 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 1/20/2011 8:38:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
osho

is he from the future? o.O

or.. the 80's??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:44:30 AM

Unreasonable expectations coupled with taking your partner for granted.

Marriages, like all relationships, require effort - you've got to work at it if you want it to be successful. The moment you start thinking "Hey, you're supposed to love me no matter what!" you're heading for trouble.

If you and your partner are both committed to the relationship then it doesn't matter what gets in your way (kids, money, illness, whatever) you will find a way deal with it.

I will be celebrating my 19th anniversary in 3 months.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 11:06:27 AM
Sin, no Im not preaching, just look up the definition of sin and you'll know what I mean/
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:17:48 PM
At 1/31/2011 11:06:27 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
Sin, no Im not preaching, just look up the definition of sin and you'll know what I mean/

Sin? Really? LOL!!!!! Do you have parents? Are they married? I've encountered countless marriages that have disintegrated, which had nothing to do with "Sin." You have no idea what it takes to make a relationship or marriage work, and even less idea how they end. Just look up the definition of the word "ignorant", and you will know what I mean.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:41:58 PM
You can list the "top reasons marriages fail", but imo, it goes deeper than that. I get the impression that relationships fail because they are built on false premises, social obligations, and most of all, psychological drives rooted in evolution which are designed not to make people happy but to reproduce. A fine example is that quite often people will truly feel they are in love, then when staying with the partner is no longer good for the passing on of their genes, suddenly find that they are seeing all the flaws...ie, after the partner has been impregnated or when they are getting old.

Also:

Looking for mates based on appearances, in bars/social gatherings, etc, instead of dating friends, for example. In my own experience, relationships have always been better and lasted longer when both partners are emotionally mature (ie not needy, emotionally abusive, able to commit, etc), agree ahead of time with what they want the relationship to be, get along well as friends, aren't simply together "just because", and practice self control (ie, not snapping at each other) but honesty as well (instead calmly explaining frustration).

But, the biggest reason marriages fail, imo? Because divorce is legal and socially acceptable. Humans are humans and most relationships are unlikely to last forever. No one should be surprised that divorce happens so much. Nor should anyone be surprised that groups that have to fight to get married and face discrimination, make better married couples (and parents). These relationships are clearly founded more firmly on love than on the silly reasons "normal" people get married.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 6:12:46 PM
There need be no reason for a relationship to end. There needs to be one for it to begin, and one for it to continue. A lack of relationship is the default state.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 10:51:59 AM
The reason my marriage failed was my wife said I was more interested in Formula 1 motor racing than I was her. That wasn't true, of course and I was very upset when we got divorced because we had been married for over 11 seasons!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 11:51:33 AM
1. Lack of Sex

2. Money Issues

3. Fidelity Issues
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 11:52:18 AM
At 2/1/2011 10:51:59 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The reason my marriage failed was my wife said I was more interested in Formula 1 motor racing than I was her. That wasn't true, of course and I was very upset when we got divorced because we had been married for over 11 seasons!

I thought you said the real issue was her spending habits?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 12:41:38 PM
At 2/1/2011 11:52:18 AM, askbob wrote:

It was - that was a joke I heard down the pub last night and I couldn't resist telling it!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 8:49:17 PM
At 2/1/2011 12:41:38 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 2/1/2011 11:52:18 AM, askbob wrote:

It was - that was a joke I heard down the pub last night and I couldn't resist telling it!

haha well it made me laugh
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 8:53:24 PM

Brilliant! I love British humor.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:06:16 PM

Financial reasons usually trump everything, but I would say that infidelity plays a big part as well.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:06:52 PM
At 1/20/2011 8:41:13 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
List what you believe are the primary reasons for failed marriages . . .:

A lot of reasons too intricate to pinpoint accurately. Everything from financial issues to lack of communication, and everything in between.

Forgot this one, communication breakdowns are major.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:08:09 PM
At 1/20/2011 9:48:53 PM, boomeranghugs wrote:
Getting married before you really get to know who the person is

Lots of people get invovled with someone they barley know, and when the infatuation phase dissappears they get to see the person for who they really are.

and

Superficiality.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:11:13 PM
At 1/31/2011 8:44:30 AM, tigg13 wrote:

Unreasonable expectations coupled with taking your partner for granted.

Marriages, like all relationships, require effort - you've got to work at it if you want it to be successful. The moment you start thinking "Hey, you're supposed to love me no matter what!" you're heading for trouble.

If you and your partner are both committed to the relationship then it doesn't matter what gets in your way (kids, money, illness, whatever) you will find a way deal with it.

This is what old fashioned couples understood. Everything is instant now, and that's the reason lots of marriages fail, because no one wants to deal with the bad times, they just want the good times.

I will be celebrating my 19th anniversary in 3 months.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2011 3:14:34 PM
At 1/31/2011 3:41:58 PM, Yvette wrote:
You can list the "top reasons marriages fail", but imo, it goes deeper than that. I get the impression that relationships fail because they are built on false premises, social obligations, and most of all, psychological drives rooted in evolution which are designed not to make people happy but to reproduce. A fine example is that quite often people will truly feel they are in love, then when staying with the partner is no longer good for the passing on of their genes, suddenly find that they are seeing all the flaws...ie, after the partner has been impregnated or when they are getting old.

Also:

Looking for mates based on appearances, in bars/social gatherings, etc, instead of dating friends, for example. In my own experience, relationships have always been better and lasted longer when both partners are emotionally mature (ie not needy, emotionally abusive, able to commit, etc), agree ahead of time with what they want the relationship to be, get along well as friends, aren't simply together "just because", and practice self control (ie, not snapping at each other) but honesty as well (instead calmly explaining frustration).

But, the biggest reason marriages fail, imo? Because divorce is legal and socially acceptable. Humans are humans and most relationships are unlikely to last forever. No one should be surprised that divorce happens so much. Nor should anyone be surprised that groups that have to fight to get married and face discrimination, make better married couples (and parents). These relationships are clearly founded more firmly on love than on the silly reasons "normal" people get married.

well spoken