Jump to topic:

Politically Correct

FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 3:55:29 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Are we going to far with this or what. We are going to rename the baseball and football teams because Washington Redskins or Cleveland Indians are no longer tolerated because they are racist names. We can't say Merry Christmas anymore you have to say Happy Holidays, ok so what about the Cheese Nip crackers are we going to rename them too because Nip is a derogatory name, what about Red Skin Potatoes, should they be renamed as well WTF!!!

Pretty soon it will be the Cleveland Caucasians and fuchsia skin potatoes, sorry fuchsia is too similar to another derogatory word we better be safe and call it salmon skin potatoes, and don't say OMG that's not tolerated anymore we have bigger issues to resolve like which bathroom will the transgenders use. What has this world turned to
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 3:19:45 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/25/2016 3:55:29 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
Are we going to far with this or what. We are going to rename the baseball and football teams because Washington Redskins or Cleveland Indians are no longer tolerated because they are racist names. We can't say Merry Christmas anymore you have to say Happy Holidays, ok so what about the Cheese Nip crackers are we going to rename them too because Nip is a derogatory name, what about Red Skin Potatoes, should they be renamed as well WTF!!!

Pretty soon it will be the Cleveland Caucasians and fuchsia skin potatoes, sorry fuchsia is too similar to another derogatory word we better be safe and call it salmon skin potatoes, and don't say OMG that's not tolerated anymore we have bigger issues to resolve like which bathroom will the transgenders use. What has this world turned to

A wise a$$ man once said this of marriage: Be good to them. Live the commitment of your vows. Let them speak, and listen. Then do what you want.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
TheRandomWalk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 5:33:23 PM
Posted: 1 week ago

Yeah it's getting ridiculous. But what people should do, and what people should be legally compelled to do are to different things. I think people should call their moms on mother's day, but that doesn't mean I think there should be a law, forcing people to do it.

If people wanna be super sensitive and spend their lives walking on eggshells in order to avoid offending people, go for it, you're probably a nice guy. But once you say I am required to do it, you become a fascist.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:00:07 PM
At 11/29/2016 5:33:23 PM, TheRandomWalk wrote:

Yeah it's getting ridiculous. But what people should do, and what people should be legally compelled to do are to different things. I think people should call their moms on mother's day, but that doesn't mean I think there should be a law, forcing people to do it.

If people wanna be super sensitive and spend their lives walking on eggshells in order to avoid offending people, go for it, you're probably a nice guy. But once you say I am required to do it, you become a fascist.

I agree with you, so what is the solution, everyone is bitching about changing everything. Do we just turn a blind eye to it and ignore it?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:51:34 PM
At 11/29/2016 7:00:07 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

I agree with you, so what is the solution, everyone is bitching about changing everything. Do we just turn a blind eye to it and ignore it?

no you bitch slap them back by demanding they respect your rights, then walk away.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:07:58 PM
At 11/29/2016 7:51:34 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

no you bitch slap them back by demanding they respect your rights, then walk away.

Hey we can't bitch slap them, they will file assault charges against you
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:14:36 PM
At 11/29/2016 8:07:58 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

well it's more of a verbal bitch slap, but the more this silliness is tolerated the more it will be pushed.
TheRandomWalk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:18:10 PM

They have their right to ask, you...

If they want to write letters to sports teams or boycott them, let them. That's democracy.

It's when they start calling for legislation forcing people to say things, or change names, that's when you start handing out (legal equivalent of) bitchslaps.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 2:06:23 PM

Where exactly can't you say merry Christma?. You are falling for rightist propoganda who wants gov to promote Christianity while disregarding other faiths.

You should see how the Temple of Satan (a secular group that is not satanists that everyone thinks of) has been treated when they went to get an after school program in a public school that has an evangelical after school program. Talk about conservative political correctness, people flipped the sh1ts.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 6:57:15 PM
At 12/1/2016 2:06:23 PM, slo1 wrote:

Where exactly can't you say merry Christma?. You are falling for rightist propoganda who wants gov to promote Christianity while disregarding other faiths.

News stations...You can say what you want, but news stations will pressure you to present a certain way. One will be all for Christmas, the other won't let you say Christmas unless in context of story, and make its staff say happy holidays with implicit ultimatum.

This criticism of pressured pandering is really more of a quibble politically, as the station would still have to come up with a reason that doesn't violate your rights to let you go. It does seem wrong though, and a lot of people can relate to something like this in their life and agree, and thus, is justifiable grounds for societal bitching. People should be able to say merry Christmas or happy Hanukkah or whatever without being guilt tripped because a b!tch decided to take offense without following up with what you meant. Seriously, there are people there that think "merry Christmas" is synonymous with forcing Christianity on them.

A college is also being forced to change its name by societal pressures. It wasn't hurting anything really, or offensive, but some people with money/influence found offense to it....Now their team just played in nameless shame while the logos aren't removed yet, and its hilarious. The alternate names they came up with were all pathetic. I like to think its in an effort to allude back to the old standby. Students still use the old name, and other schools just make fun of them because they couldn't even hang onto their identity, which was actually a pretty cool name in my opinion. The school spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in formalities, despite having the okay from tribes its name recognized, because the NCAA found it offensive.

Just look at this ridiculousness...http://www.thecollegefix.com...

There's thousands of things like this going on right now. Follow the trends. Follow the money....

You should see how the Temple of Satan (a secular group that is not satanists that everyone thinks of) has been treated when they went to get an after school program in a public school that has an evangelical after school program. Talk about conservative political correctness, people flipped the sh1ts.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 7:16:42 PM
At 11/29/2016 8:14:36 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:07:58 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

well it's more of a verbal bitch slap, but the more this silliness is tolerated the more it will be pushed.

I wonder how many people get assault charges by bitches who have been justifiably slapped....
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 7:55:36 PM
At 12/1/2016 6:57:15 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

News stations...You can say what you want, but news stations will pressure you to present a certain way. One will be all for Christmas, the other won't let you say Christmas unless in context of story, and make its staff say happy holidays with implicit ultimatum.

I have yet to work for a company that did not pressure it's employees to behave in certain ways. As private entities they have that right and as an employee we have the right to quit. I fail to see the big deal.

This criticism of pressured pandering is really more of a quibble politically, as the station would still have to come up with a reason that doesn't violate your rights to let you go. It does seem wrong though, and a lot of people can relate to something like this in their life and agree, and thus, is justifiable grounds for societal bitching. People should be able to say merry Christmas or happy Hanukkah or whatever without being guilt tripped because a b!tch decided to take offense without following up with what you meant. Seriously, there are people there that think "merry Christmas" is synonymous with forcing Christianity on them.

While it maybe an intended pleasantry, only Christians care about expressing Marry Christmas to everybody they work with. Why should I give a flying f if people are pressured to know their audience or use a generic pleasantry such as happy holiday?

A college is also being forced to change its name by societal pressures. It wasn't hurting anything really, or offensive, but some people with money/influence found offense to it....Now their team just played in nameless shame while the logos aren't removed yet, and its hilarious. The alternate names they came up with were all pathetic. I like to think its in an effort to allude back to the old standby. Students still use the old name, and other schools just make fun of them because they couldn't even hang onto their identity, which was actually a pretty cool name in my opinion. The school spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in formalities, despite having the okay from tribes its name recognized, because the NCAA found it offensive.

The NCAA is welcome to have their opinion. It appears the general public and Souix are fine with the name of the Fighting Sioux. If the college doesn't want to change it then they don't have to change it. If the NCAA is exerting fiscal pressure they can leave the NCAA. It is about time to get competition against the NCAA.

People put all types of pressure on other people non-stop. Complaining about that fact is just complaining. My hackles go up when one complains that those with opposite political views are so unreasonable, yet don't understand the same thing happens on their side of issues.

In other words I fundamentally agree that saying merry Christmas should not be offensive to anyone, but I also think people don't need to get bent out of shape when I reply, "Thanks, but I'm not a Christian, I'm a member of the Temple of Satan".

There's thousands of things like this going on right now. Follow the trends. Follow the money....

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 8:32:51 PM
At 12/1/2016 7:55:36 PM, slo1 wrote:

I have yet to work for a company that did not pressure it's employees to behave in certain ways. As private entities they have that right and as an employee we have the right to quit. I fail to see the big deal.

Its just a petty thing to pressure someones job over. I don't see the need for there to a big deal in this conversation.

While it maybe an intended pleasantry, only Christians care about expressing Marry Christmas to everybody they work with.

False

Why should I give a flying f if people are pressured to know their audience or use a generic pleasantry such as happy holiday?

You have influence in your own sphere, and should give a shiit about how people are treated in it.

The NCAA is welcome to have their opinion. It appears the general public and Souix are fine with the name of the Fighting Sioux. If the college doesn't want to change it then they don't have to change it. If the NCAA is exerting fiscal pressure they can leave the NCAA. It is about time to get competition against the NCAA.

No you don't understand. The NCAA exerts political pressure to change the name through ultimatum or revoking the school, and the school needs the NCAA to hold its events, gain publicity and make money to provide service to its clients. This is why changing the name is "Politically Correct", despite the complete stupidity of the whole situation. The NCAA has a right to do that, and the school has a right to cave or do its own thing, and its still a diick move. This thing the NCAA is pushing has no benefit and is costing the school and its beneficiaries money, and honestly hurting its image without regard. Now, I'm happy we have the legal leniency to be a dick, but it doesn't hurt to check diickheads every once and awhile.

People put all types of pressure on other people non-stop. Complaining about that fact is just complaining. My hackles go up when one complains that those with opposite political views are so unreasonable, yet don't understand the same thing happens on their side of issues.

In other words I fundamentally agree that saying merry Christmas should not be offensive to anyone, but I also think people don't need to get bent out of shape when I reply, "Thanks, but I'm not a Christian, I'm a member of the Temple of Satan".

Why would they get bent out of shape, and what did that sentence have to do with having a merry Christmas? I mean, a satanist can still have a hell of a good Christmas and your religion wasn't implied, so how was your reply relevant? If it was relevant what did you mean?

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 9:32:50 PM
I'm not sure about this 'Happy holiday' stuff. Holiday is derived from 'Holy day' so it is still clearly references the status of a day holy only within Christianity. That is hardly faith-neutral so I would suggest 'Happy 25th of December'.

In fact, to remove all possible religious connotations, I think we should change the date of Christmas - sorry the date of 25th December - to some other date entirely, say around April or May. I have no doubt that having December the 25th on, say, the 1st of April should keep everyone happy.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:11:14 PM
At 12/1/2016 8:32:51 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 12/1/2016 7:55:36 PM, slo1 wrote:

Its just a petty thing to pressure someones job over. I don't see the need for there to a big deal in this conversation.

While it maybe an intended pleasantry, only Christians care about expressing Marry Christmas to everybody they work with.

False

Why should I give a flying f if people are pressured to know their audience or use a generic pleasantry such as happy holiday?

You have influence in your own sphere, and should give a shiit about how people are treated in it.

No you don't understand. The NCAA exerts political pressure to change the name through ultimatum or revoking the school, and the school needs the NCAA to hold its events, gain publicity and make money to provide service to its clients. This is why changing the name is "Politically Correct", despite the complete stupidity of the whole situation. The NCAA has a right to do that, and the school has a right to cave or do its own thing, and its still a diick move. This thing the NCAA is pushing has no benefit and is costing the school and its beneficiaries money, and honestly hurting its image without regard. Now, I'm happy we have the legal leniency to be a dick, but it doesn't hurt to check diickheads every once and awhile.

Why would they get bent out of shape, and what did that sentence have to do with having a merry Christmas? I mean, a satanist can still have a hell of a good Christmas and your religion wasn't implied, so how was your reply relevant? If it was relevant what did you mean?

I just read a Yelp review of a taco shop where a guy gave one star because after he learned it was halal certified. You tell me why people are offended when they can have a perfectly tasty halal taco.