Jump to topic:

Humane put down?

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 5:44:31 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
So this morning I went for a run in the cold. I live in a marina on a busy thoroughfare in a very affluent part of town. It is residential yet still very forested and, being affluent, not many businesses besides the grocery store and relevant restaurants, Starbucks, Walgreens, etc...

So I finish right next to Walgreens across from the marina. I hear a thump. A vintage Porsche 911 had just smacked a deer (ironically same place I found another dead one thanksgiving morning). Traffics at a standstill. The deer is struggling. You could clearly see it's hip was shattered. Everyone (me included) is calling 911. Dude gets out of his truck, walks over, removes his .38 revolver, and unloads the cylinder. Deers not dead yet. He reloads. 3 more shots. Cop finally shows up and finishes it with his .40.

So was the first guy in the wrong for trying to put the deer down?

Note: deer are crazy bountiful here but there is no hunting in my county because it is merged with metro and has a 1.6 million population. It is deer season in the state but again, no culling occurs in my county.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM
At 11/27/2016 5:44:31 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
So this morning I went for a run in the cold. I live in a marina on a busy thoroughfare in a very affluent part of town. It is residential yet still very forested and, being affluent, not many businesses besides the grocery store and relevant restaurants, Starbucks, Walgreens, etc...

So I finish right next to Walgreens across from the marina. I hear a thump. A vintage Porsche 911 had just smacked a deer (ironically same place I found another dead one thanksgiving morning). Traffics at a standstill. The deer is struggling. You could clearly see it's hip was shattered. Everyone (me included) is calling 911. Dude gets out of his truck, walks over, removes his .38 revolver, and unloads the cylinder. Deers not dead yet. He reloads. 3 more shots. Cop finally shows up and finishes it with his .40.

Note: deer are crazy bountiful here but there is no hunting in my county because it is merged with metro and has a 1.6 million population. It is deer season in the state but again, no culling occurs in my county.

Putting the deer down was honestly the kindest thing they could've done, considering it was basically guaranteed to die anyway. The problem is if the guy took that many shots and the deer still lived. If the guy had perhaps shot it in the top of the head, that would've done it, but from the sounds of it, he was either shooting it randomly like an idiot, or that deer has the thickest skull I've ever heard of.

If you're gonna put down an animal in that kind of situation, do it the right way. If you can't safely do it, wait until police arrive or something. If you can safely do it, make sure it won't take more than one shot. The animal is already in a lot of pain, and just shooting it a bunch and "hoping" it dies is pretty cruel.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 6:56:20 PM
At 11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Putting the deer down was honestly the kindest thing they could've done, considering it was basically guaranteed to die anyway. The problem is if the guy took that many shots and the deer still lived. If the guy had perhaps shot it in the top of the head, that would've done it, but from the sounds of it, he was either shooting it randomly like an idiot, or that deer has the thickest skull I've ever heard of.

If you're gonna put down an animal in that kind of situation, do it the right way. If you can't safely do it, wait until police arrive or something. If you can safely do it, make sure it won't take more than one shot. The animal is already in a lot of pain, and just shooting it a bunch and "hoping" it dies is pretty cruel.

In fairness he did hit the head. Just the wrong caliber. Pretty sure he was an off duty officer.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 7:00:30 PM
At 11/27/2016 6:56:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

In fairness he did hit the head. Just the wrong caliber. Pretty sure he was an off duty officer.

Thick skull then, I can understand that I suppose...
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya