Jump to topic:

Humane put down?

Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 5:44:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
So this morning I went for a run in the cold. I live in a marina on a busy thoroughfare in a very affluent part of town. It is residential yet still very forested and, being affluent, not many businesses besides the grocery store and relevant restaurants, Starbucks, Walgreens, etc...

So I finish right next to Walgreens across from the marina. I hear a thump. A vintage Porsche 911 had just smacked a deer (ironically same place I found another dead one thanksgiving morning). Traffics at a standstill. The deer is struggling. You could clearly see it's hip was shattered. Everyone (me included) is calling 911. Dude gets out of his truck, walks over, removes his .38 revolver, and unloads the cylinder. Deers not dead yet. He reloads. 3 more shots. Cop finally shows up and finishes it with his .40.

So was the first guy in the wrong for trying to put the deer down?

Note: deer are crazy bountiful here but there is no hunting in my county because it is merged with metro and has a 1.6 million population. It is deer season in the state but again, no culling occurs in my county.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM
At 11/27/2016 5:44:31 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
So this morning I went for a run in the cold. I live in a marina on a busy thoroughfare in a very affluent part of town. It is residential yet still very forested and, being affluent, not many businesses besides the grocery store and relevant restaurants, Starbucks, Walgreens, etc...

So I finish right next to Walgreens across from the marina. I hear a thump. A vintage Porsche 911 had just smacked a deer (ironically same place I found another dead one thanksgiving morning). Traffics at a standstill. The deer is struggling. You could clearly see it's hip was shattered. Everyone (me included) is calling 911. Dude gets out of his truck, walks over, removes his .38 revolver, and unloads the cylinder. Deers not dead yet. He reloads. 3 more shots. Cop finally shows up and finishes it with his .40.

Note: deer are crazy bountiful here but there is no hunting in my county because it is merged with metro and has a 1.6 million population. It is deer season in the state but again, no culling occurs in my county.

Putting the deer down was honestly the kindest thing they could've done, considering it was basically guaranteed to die anyway. The problem is if the guy took that many shots and the deer still lived. If the guy had perhaps shot it in the top of the head, that would've done it, but from the sounds of it, he was either shooting it randomly like an idiot, or that deer has the thickest skull I've ever heard of.

If you're gonna put down an animal in that kind of situation, do it the right way. If you can't safely do it, wait until police arrive or something. If you can safely do it, make sure it won't take more than one shot. The animal is already in a lot of pain, and just shooting it a bunch and "hoping" it dies is pretty cruel.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 6:56:20 PM
At 11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Putting the deer down was honestly the kindest thing they could've done, considering it was basically guaranteed to die anyway. The problem is if the guy took that many shots and the deer still lived. If the guy had perhaps shot it in the top of the head, that would've done it, but from the sounds of it, he was either shooting it randomly like an idiot, or that deer has the thickest skull I've ever heard of.

If you're gonna put down an animal in that kind of situation, do it the right way. If you can't safely do it, wait until police arrive or something. If you can safely do it, make sure it won't take more than one shot. The animal is already in a lot of pain, and just shooting it a bunch and "hoping" it dies is pretty cruel.

In fairness he did hit the head. Just the wrong caliber. Pretty sure he was an off duty officer.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 7:00:30 PM
At 11/27/2016 6:56:20 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 11/27/2016 6:34:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

In fairness he did hit the head. Just the wrong caliber. Pretty sure he was an off duty officer.

Thick skull then, I can understand that I suppose...
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2016 2:23:34 PM

I'd have shaky hands too if I smashed my 911. I had one that healed somewhat and walked on three legs that used to come to my feeder for 2 years when I lived in the country. It always seemed particularly cheery and playful believe it or not. I feel the easiest way out is freezing to death in the northern states, or being hunted by a respectful human. A better placed mercy shot would save it a lot of trouble. If it makes you feel better, its common for the shock and adrenaline to override the pain for awhile if it didn't take too long.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2016 7:41:06 PM
At 12/7/2016 2:23:34 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I'd have shaky hands too if I smashed my 911. I had one that healed somewhat and walked on three legs that used to come to my feeder for 2 years when I lived in the country. It always seemed particularly cheery and playful believe it or not. I feel the easiest way out is freezing to death in the northern states, or being hunted by a respectful human. A better placed mercy shot would save it a lot of trouble. If it makes you feel better, its common for the shock and adrenaline to override the pain for awhile if it didn't take too long.

wisdom of Larry the Cable guy
"My sister has a horse and last week it broke it's leg. She called me and begged me to come over and shoot it for her. It was hard to do...but she is my sister so I did it. Now the poor thing has a broken leg and a gun shot wound. I guess it's supposed to help the healing process or something?? Seems kind of cruel if you ask me."
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2016 9:36:34 PM

Question.....

If deers are hit in that manner and are unable to move or can move but shows obviously signs of a possible fracture, aren't there ways to maintain their life and bring it to a facility where they can repair the damaged deer or is it just by societal understanding that these creatures need to be humanely put down in all circumstances?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2016 9:47:28 PM
At 12/7/2016 9:36:34 PM, Hiu wrote:

Question.....

If deers are hit in that manner and are unable to move or can move but shows obviously signs of a possible fracture, aren't there ways to maintain their life and bring it to a facility where they can repair the damaged deer or is it just by societal understanding that these creatures need to be humanely put down in all circumstances?

possibly, they are big and if one was thrashing or potentially could that would be very dangerous, have you seen how much vets charge for emergency visits, then if there's surgery etc etc we are talking thousands of dollars, now some vets well rehab wild animals, but that would be more like hawks, eagles and smallish animals like that, but even that is pretty rare. Deer are plentiful enough not to warrant the risk and expense.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2016 9:52:03 PM
At 12/7/2016 9:47:28 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 12/7/2016 9:36:34 PM, Hiu wrote:

Question.....

possibly, they are big and if one was thrashing or potentially could that would be very dangerous, have you seen how much vets charge for emergency visits, then if there's surgery etc etc we are talking thousands of dollars, now some vets well rehab wild animals, but that would be more like hawks, eagles and smallish animals like that, but even that is pretty rare. Deer are plentiful enough not to warrant the risk and expense.

Yeah I figured since the OP stated that there is plenty of deer where he lives. I was curious. I'm the type that wants to save the life of the creature if its possible. From bugs to dogs to whatever. I'm a believer in that all life is sacred but in some cases taking someone's pain away is more humane than allowing them to suffer.